Diablo® III

The DPS of diablo 3

Personally I don't enjoy doing 100k+ damage, I feel it is not a "Diablo" range that the dps should be in. I know it wouldn't be in the best interest of the development team to spend time nerfing everyones damage and subsequently having to nerf monsters hp. It just doesn't feel right to be doing that much damage to kill mobs in a diablo game. It feel like I'm doing a raid in WoW on every mob.

Reason for posting is that i am curious as to whether or not i'm the only one that thinks this way.
Reply Quote
Take a look at WoW, people doing tens of thousands of damage...where do you think they got the idea for D3...WoW.
Reply Quote
Seems silly to me...
Reply Quote
back in d2 you could do the same. taking out half the cow lvl with a bowazon ring a bell. or using firewall to kill meph with 2-3 quick casts. same concept really just different game. but if you dont like doing alot of dmg just use crap gear. problem solved.
Reply Quote
This is a "big numbers" RPG. D1 and D2 were "small numbers." Compare most Final Fantasy Games to Dragon Quest, or Star Ocean V and Wild Arms 2 to their predecessors.

The size of the numbers doesn't matter at all. If the mechanics was changed to lower numbers but the game played the same way, it wouldn't effectively change anything.

The only real problem I see with a system like this is in regards to MMO's or multi-expansion games; you run the risk of hitting exponential curves that eventually makes numbers too big to mean much. WoW can be seen as an example of this, at least the jump from Vanilla through Burning Crusade, although they seem to have it under control now.
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 2/3/2013 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
I can only dream of doing 100k+ of dmg
Reply Quote
a fully geared light sorc is about the only class i remember pulling these kinda numbers. but really they are just numbers nothing more. they can change the way they display so it only shows 10000k damage it really kinda meaningless
Reply Quote
Personally I don't enjoy doing 100k+ damage, I feel it is not a "Diablo" range that the dps should be in. I know it wouldn't be in the best interest of the development team to spend time nerfing everyones damage and subsequently having to nerf monsters hp. It just doesn't feel right to be doing that much damage to kill mobs in a diablo game. It feel like I'm doing a raid in WoW on every mob.

Reason for posting is that i am curious as to whether or not i'm the only one that thinks this way.

Your dps isnt even that high and youre complaining about it. Cool.
Reply Quote
I feel that critical hit chance is completely out of control in this game.
Crits are not remotely special when they happen 3 times per second.

Crits further broken when combined with powerful skills or runes that completely negate cooldowns or generate insane levels of resource.

IMO the DPS 'issue' would be largely fixed just by a CHC rework.

Example of a rework:
- Critical hit damage is reduced by 75% on AOE attack powers. This makes single target powers more enticing as an option. For those who hate nerfs, alternatively they could buff critical hits on melee attacks by something like 300% (not exactly conducive to lowering the DPS of Diablo 3)
- Critical hit chance has massive diminishing returns such that the soft cap before skills/runes/passives is about 15% Those who heavily stack it (pretty much everyone) might be able to push it to almost 20%.
- Critical Hit Damage remains unchanged. Skills that key off CHC do not need to be changed either.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 12:03 PMPosted by DrDeathXII
OP is right, doing 2mil damage crits feels wrong with 40k hp.

Jay Wilson finally figured that out when he started PvP ... his barb got 1 shot and he rage quit.
Reply Quote
Good luck doing MP10 ubers with sub 100k dps. :)
Reply Quote
In comparison to WoW, Diablo 2 was more or less vanilla-burning crusade where as Diablo 3 took the step towards cataclysm and pandaria, in regards to dps and hp.

The numbers of dps and hp in this game are asinine.
Edited by Snuffles#1130 on 2/3/2013 12:55 PM PST
Reply Quote

the ratio of damage to monster health to player health is all that matters. I couldn't care less what actual numbers were.

what ticks me off more is all resistance. I like the old system more where your resistance was your actual damage reduction % and it was capped at 75% (with the exception of skills and items that could raise this cap to 95%)

also block. chance to block should be on a system closer to dodge and be tied to the str stat imo. also make all stats that aren't dps stats to each character count for double or triple. eeew 100 strength on your wizards armor? well thats 300 armor. not so bad. 100 armor? psh not worth it.

The only reason the numbers bother me is that its a huge jump from diablo 2 much the same as wotlk to cataclysm I feel it was too drastic.
Reply Quote
bumping it to see if there is anyone else who has thoughts.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]