Diablo® III

Starting to lose faith/hope in D3/Blizz

Recently I've been getting pretty discouraged about the state of Diablo 3 and started to falter in my belief that Blizz will get it right.

Some reasons why:

1) They still think OwE is an "issue" and that it feels "mandatory to many monks."

I would have thought that after they nerfed StI and it remained the #1 passive used by Monks, that they would have realized the problem is not with StI and OwE ... it's with the other passives. There aren't any other fantastic passives that make it worth gearing out of OwE (unless you're a balla).

Basically, this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593741622

2) In the past they promised that there were big Monk changes on the horizon - changes that weren't simply number tweaks, but instead were design changes. What happened to those design changes? This patch is supposed to be focused on improving Monks (and Wizards), and yet this is all we have to show for it?

Basically, this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202447
And this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7764346490

3) Blizzard's lack of communication is really starting to get to me. There are SO many good feedback threads in the PTR forums that haven't had a single response, or haven't seen a response in a long while. We haven't heard much about the Dev Q&A questions, and while I know they said it would take about a week to get the questions/answers straightened out, some sort of update would be nice.

Oh, and to top it all off, we have The Case of the Missing Set Bonuses! Lots of people are concerned, some are freaking out ... and despite the fact that there is a 13 page thread devoted to the subject and countless others have been created ... there is no blue response. This is just unacceptable, in my opinion, regardless of what is actually happening with the bonuses. How can you allow your customers to remain in the dark about a potentially massive change for this long?

13 pager: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7810091773

4) Class envy.

Maybe this is my own fault, but while I've been whining about Passives and contemplating dropping OwE recently, I've developed a massive case of Barbarian envy.

Some of their passives are truly /drool worthy. 3% Lifesteal? Yes please. 5% crit and 50% crit dmg? Yes please. 15% extra damage or 10% crit or 10% atk spd? Yes please.

On top of that, look at their set items! Their belt always has lifesteal on it, in addition to increasing their fury, in addition to improving a class specific ability, in addition to 71-80 all resist. And did I mention that it can roll up to 200 str while Inna's Belt only rolls up to 100 dex?

3 of their set pieces have 71-80 all resist on them. Not a single one of our pieces has All Resist. All of their set pieces can roll up to 200 strength, except for their Boots (because they also have a 90-100 vit roll; why 90-100 when all of our vit rolls are 30-100? I have no idea). Half of our set pieces, on the other hand, only roll up to 100 dex. Their Chest piece has two ranges of +Armor affixes, from 241-397. Our belt only has 1, from 241-265. Cool.

For some reason they are the only class that has 6 set pieces?

I honestly have no idea how their set bonuses stack up to ours. 0.33 spirit regeneration though? I mean, seriously!?

----
I like our Monk community. I have started leveling up my alts because I like being able to give them the drops I find. I like having a goal of pLvl 100 to work toward.

But once I hit pLvl 100, then what? I make far more money from playing the AH than I do from playing the game. Nice drops are exciting, but if they aren't necessary to progress my character then what is the point. Furthermore, I can solo MP 10 Ubers ... what is the point of trying to improve my gear at this point? Oh right, duels. That sounds fun /not. I'll wait till they have actual PvP.

The more I reflect on my time playing D3, the more I worry that I've wasted a whole bunch of time that would have been better spent playing a different game where time invested actually mattered.
Reply Quote
Hate to say it but i agree with most of your points.. Its sad that we dont have more faith in Blizzard as they are/used to be one of my favorite game companies.

The thought has popped into my head more and more lately that i should sell off my gear and start a different character, but i feel like it owe it to blizzard for some reason to stick with it through the patch...

ugh. lets hope the Q&A that they hopefully release tomorrow brings us some hope.
Reply Quote
Dropping in to say that this is EXACTLY how I feel at the moment. No passives, no real monk changes, no communication and a bit of envy. Not sure why Im still here. My frustration has really started to show from my posts.
Reply Quote
Agree 100%, when you really think about it why would you NOT play a barb. They even have a shield made specifically for them. The communication between players and "blues" simply does not exist. It seems 1 post per week per blue on 1 topic is about all we can expect.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 02:16 PMPosted by Piffle
The more I reflect on my time playing D3, the more I worry that I've wasted a whole bunch of time that would have been better spent playing a different game where time invested actually mattered.

On the other side, think about how you'd feel spending 10 years on a character and realize you're bored with a game.

I think you're possibly stuck on looking at the game itself to be fulfilling instead of the experiences along the way. If those stop, then find something else. If it were not for some of the people I play with here, I wouldn't have stuck around this long or even come back from when I quit back in June.

My two cents, games are just a great medium to enjoy playing with friends and fooling around, what game you do it in is secondary to who you're doing it with. If the other problems you mentioned have become so ridiculous, then see if your friends will join you in something else. Otherwise, wait for an expansion, or just play when you're interested. Keeping in mind that the experience and knowledge you passed on with your help here on these forums and elsewhere was not wasted.
Reply Quote
Hate to say it but i agree with most of your points.. Its sad that we dont have more faith in Blizzard as they are/used to be one of my favorite game companies.

The thought has popped into my head more and more lately that i should sell off my gear and start a different character, but i feel like it owe it to blizzard for some reason to stick with it through the patch...

ugh. lets hope the Q&A that they hopefully release tomorrow brings us some hope.

I guess I'm more concerned that this isn't a class specific issue, but rather an overall issue with the game itself. I mean, as much as I complained about monk stuff, it's not like I really feel my monk is underpowered (can't speak for anyone else's!). I can do MP10 ubers, I can easily average 60-70 million exp/hour. That's basically all there is to do.

I just am kind of starting to wonder what the point is though.

I can already complete the hardest content and grinding away for hours in the hopes of finding a lucky drop seems rather pointless when I can spend 5 minutes in the AH and get the same result.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 2/4/2013 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Piffle, I think you're going to run into these issues with almost any game. There aren't a whole lot of "hard" games left, everything is about instant gratification, and unless someone is just spitting out content constantly, there will always be people sitting waiting for something new to do.

or just go play EVE
Edited by Enot#1820 on 2/4/2013 2:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Enot

On the other side, think about how you'd feel spending 10 years on a character and realize you're bored with a game.

I think you're possibly stuck on looking at the game itself to be fulfilling instead of the experiences along the way.

Shouldn't the game itself be entertaining?! I mean, this is something I have sunk around 450 hours into since it was released - that's almost 19 full days!! I mean ... is asking for your game to be fulfilling really that much to ask? Seems like we're setting the bar awfully low here.

Then again, maybe the fact that I've sunk 19 days into it before coming bored means it was pretty entertaining after all! ;P

If those stop, then find something else. If it were not for some of the people I play with here, I wouldn't have stuck around this long or even come back from when I quit back in June.

My two cents, games are just a great medium to enjoy playing with friends and fooling around, what game you do it in is secondary to who you're doing it with. If the other problems you mentioned have become so ridiculous, then see if your friends will join you in something else.

None of my RL friends play anymore. :/

And that's why I mentioned in the OP that I do enjoy the Monk community. I have a number of people on my friend list that I enjoy chatting with and playing with occasionally. But at the same time, outside of Ubers, there's really not much to encourage co-op. I spend far more of my time playing solo doing TR than I do killing ubers.
Reply Quote
No noes, looks like Piffle has a sniffle! :(

On a serious note, I do echo your sentiments and thoughts. Of late I have been very bored of this game. I have no idea how I managed to put 100's of hours into it (maybe because it's so brainless)..
...I think it's because I still have a number people on my friends list still active.

As for the monk...? Where are we headed? What is the overall concept of the monk in the views of Blizzard?

If that can be answered then I would be happier somewhat.
Reply Quote
I have been sitting at Paragon level 44 for probably 3 weeks now... I only log on to flip stuff on the AH and do the OCCASIONAL uber run...

I've also been spending more time on SC2 lately too...
Reply Quote
take a 1 week break???
ive sunk bout 800hrs into the game and from time to time i get bored out of my mind, after forcing myself not to play for a week, i always come back with a stronger enthusiasm for this game
Reply Quote
I aggree with most of your points as well.. I do hope that they make the monk class better, I really enjoy playing monk

the only class that has 6 set pieces?

hmm never thought about this but yeah it's true! though I don't know of any barb using the boulder breaker for 2 hander though they all use skorn
I guess it's the same with inna's reach

ohh and FYI monk game play fun > barb
so one less thing to be envious about = )
Reply Quote
+1

I love my Monk, the only class I have enjoyed putting time in, but some changes other than a 5% buff here and there would be nice.
Edited by Saffron#1970 on 2/4/2013 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lol, I would have to agree with your 19 days of play realization :P

Considering this isn't a game with raiding, guilds requiring you to be on etc, thats a good amount of time. I didn't really explain what I meant very well though because point well taken, the game should be fulfilling. Perhaps what I meant was more what I said about games being too easy so they constantly require new content because without constant injections of new things, people finish the old things too quickly and they simply become bored. That in conjunction with sharing those experiences with friends creates a heavier draw to a game.

In respect to and unfortunatly I hate to say or sound this way about D3... I don't think even with new content release in the form of an expansion, that there will be a great deal "more" to do or feel like the game has something to keep you driven to play, essentially you'll finish it, then be waiting for the next piece, since we all know it won't be hard, everything in this game continues to be watered down. That being said, not sure there are other games that are really doing much more or better, so I figure, I've put in this much time, I may as well enjoy the work I put into it to develope my character.
Reply Quote
interesting post.

here's also a thread someone made similar how you feel,
might wanna check it out.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7810052374

and about the concerns and suggestions ur talking about.
You gotta know how blizz works,
they actually do listen, but they also look at the, "who is suggesting?"
Reply Quote
Well, you can play/gear another class to see what's on the other side... and get your suspicion confirmed. :(

Some side-tracking...

Been playing demon hunter off and on now, even though I can only do low MPs - MP3 is furthest I would go before being annoyed by the amount of kiting I have to do... , the amount of viable builds is pretty amazing.

And while I am not a DH gear expert, the cost is pretty reasonable, considering the fact that I pretty much geared my current Demon Hunter for around 5m ~ 11m per slot save for the main hand slot.

And for that they have an amazing selection. I am using a Calamity (< 15m) now since it is freaking fast, but I also have a Manticore (>1000 dps, two socket, < 20m) if I want to rely on criticals.

Yeah, as a class, we are pretty much low on the totem pole right now.
Edited by Cyrus#6254 on 2/4/2013 3:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have been sitting at Paragon level 44 for probably 3 weeks now... I only log on to flip stuff on the AH and do the OCCASIONAL uber run...

I've also been spending more time on SC2 lately too...

Yeah I've noticed the same (somewhat) of the former, although I've definitely been considering the latter as well.

As far as Piffle's OP, I think #2 is the most important point you made. I think many of us were HOPING for changes to the generators, to make MANY more viable options compared to JUST Thunderclap. I'm happy with the changes to spenders (like I'm sure a lot of people are) but that doesn't mean I've SATISFIED with them. I feel (like many others) like they took the easy way out, by just increasing damage % numbers on them.

#3 on the other hand doesn't bother me in the slightest. I kind of feel like with all the social media that exists today, a lot of people feel somewhat entitled towards having more information regarding a great many things, when even compared to 5 or 10 years ago. I'm PERFECTLY fine with not receiving ANY information from companies about what they're working on. That way, when they do in fact share this with us (the consumers), its an added bonus.

As far as #4, thats understandable. Although if I were to envy any of the specific passives, I think I might choose Nightstalker or Critical Mass as the most valuable choices. Sure Barbarians have Weapon's Master and Ruthless, but I think with things like those (and Archery) people get caught up in what they CAN see. I think in the end things like the two original passives I've mentioned are actually more valuable in the end. I mean if you look at wizards, EVERY spec they use relies on Critical Mass. Archon, Wicked Wind, Meteor, you name it.

But once I hit pLvl 100, then what?

As far as this...I think honestly the answer is the same as it was in D2. Sure the game has a predominately RNG loot based system, but thats NOT why we play the games. Its because of WHO we're playing them with. At least thats how it is with me...At this point I leave the game open 24/7, but its only when specific people are on, that I actually play the game. I enjoy the social aspect of it.

I put on some good music, get in a game with good company, and punch some dudes.

For me, its really that simple. And its like that, the older I get, with the majority of games I play. One of my favorite games in the last 5-10 years is MAG on ps3. Its a FPS game, which is team based. So its completely different from COD. Your team is up to 127 other people, and if your team doesn't COMMUNICATE well you'll lose.

What I'm really trying to say, is that the older I get, the more important the SOCIAL aspect of gaming becomes.

Anyways, +1 on the thought inducing post :)
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 2/4/2013 3:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Outside of 2 things I'm of the opinion this game blows.

1. People I have met and play with. (not really something D3 owns)

2. Upgrading character is addictive. Not fun mind you, but addictive.

When it comes down to it was this game ever really fun?
Reply Quote

3) Blizzard's lack of communication is really starting to get to me. There are SO many good feedback threads in the PTR forums that haven't had a single response, or haven't seen a response in a long while. We haven't heard much about the Dev Q&A questions, and while I know they said it would take about a week to get the questions/answers straightened out, some sort of update would be nice.

as of right now... last blue post: 4 days 2 hours ago....

:(
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Enot
or just go play EVE

Interesting side conversation would be to identify what EVE excels at and to compare where, of those topics, D3 falls short.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]