Diablo® III

Starting to lose faith/hope in D3/Blizz

Everyone gets bored some time of some game, no matter how well made it is. The way I see it, spending 500+ hours in about half a year is considered value for money already. Most games dont even have that much lifespan in them.

Point is, D3 is a game that is primarily "wealth-driven", (at least for me). Unlike games like DoTA or SC2, where it is more like chess and "skill-driven". You gotta enjoy the part where you get to build up wealth instead, there is no "end-game", the journey is its own reward.
Reply Quote
Alternatively, you could play Terraria, in prep for Starbound.
Reply Quote
Regarding class envy, it helps if you think of yourself as someone who enjoys D3 a lot and picked the Monk class because you find it the most enjoyable rather than someone who is forced to continue to play as a Monk while pining and looking at that Barbarian sitting in that much greener grass over there on the other side...

I don't really drool too much over the Barb passives because they're not really that interesting. I mean, yes I do want to get around to making a LpS/Thorns Barb, but a passive that just increases the numbers on my screen is only interesting if it lets me do something specific that I couldn't have done otherwise. Getting Life Steal so I can gear a little differently might be something. More damage so I can just play the same exact game 1 MP higher isn't exactly what I'd want.

I like that I can kick things up to MP-10 if I want a challenge, or down to MP-0 if I want to breeze through the game, so I can't really complain about difficulty. If all I care about is XP/hr or Loot/hr, then Monks may possibly be the best class already. If I care about being the best class on a team, here the Monk actually offers the most ways to interact with other classes, and probably the highest DPS skill in the game.

I do want more options. I don't want to be more Barb-like, though.

As for their set gear, it really just gives higher rolls on those slots where Str can roll higher. Could you imagine how Barbs would feel if their set belt didn't give them a Str roll of up to 200? Their armor rolls higher because it's on chests. Actually, it's BAD it's possible to get a low roll for armor on the chest, because they could have gotten a rare with a high roll. (It's like getting Nat's boots with a potential low roll).

Ugh... I feel awful... I just spent half a page defending Barbs. Look the point I'm making is that I don't want Monks to become more Barb-like, even if that made them more effective. I want them to be different, because when I feel like playing a Barb, I'll roll a Barb. I'm not a Monk. I just play Monks because I've found them the most fun to date. In that respect, I really can't complain too much about this class.
Reply Quote
I have been sitting at Paragon level 44 for probably 3 weeks now... I only log on to flip stuff on the AH and do the OCCASIONAL uber run...

I've also been spending more time on SC2 lately too...

#3 on the other hand doesn't bother me in the slightest. I kind of feel like with all the social media that exists today, a lot of people feel somewhat entitled towards having more information regarding a great many things, when even compared to 5 or 10 years ago. I'm PERFECTLY fine with not receiving ANY information from companies about what they're working on. That way, when they do in fact share this with us (the consumers), its an added bonus.

Only have a few minutes before I have to leave, but I wanted to respond to this real quick. Maybe I have selective memory when it comes to these sorts of things, but I feel like the CMs/developers for League of Legends (free to play, btw) do a fantastic job communicating with the community. Maybe I misremember that though, and it isn't/wasn't any better.

I also feel like the Blues for WoW did a better job, but again, that might be my faulty memory.

I think the Blues we have for D3 do a great job, they just are absent far too often. Considering that they have acknowledged the feelings of the community need to be repaired, I cannot see how they can be so MIA for so long.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point, I guess.
Reply Quote
Piffle even tho you're gone, just remember, in wow, its working as intended.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Enot
or just go play EVE

Or Dust for that matter. Its coming along nicely, although compared to MAG it still has A LONG ways to go.

I'm pretty much splitting my time these days between Dust and D3. As my clan from MAG has almost completely migrated to Dust at this point.
Reply Quote
Man, how do you guys have time to play so many games?!?! lol

I have my hands full with enough RL stuff that I can hardly scratch out an hour (or two) in the evenings to get a couple of runs in!
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 2/4/2013 4:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Man, how do you guys have time to play so many games?!?! lol

Not even! I picked up Midnight Club LA and Skyrim during the black friday weekend sale, and I haven't even unwrapped the latter lol. I also got Farcry 3 which I'm still only about 1-2 hours into of the campaign XD I'm really far behind my clanmates in Dust too, considering the new build just dropped about 10 days ago.
Reply Quote
+1 There are only 2 games that have put me to sleep while playing them. WoW and D3. That's over 20 years of gaming experience.
Reply Quote
Here's the thing. The combat in this game is easily the best in any ARPG, and it unfortunately doesn't matter because:

A: There's no group play aspects that are remotely interesting. Playing in a group doesn't feel much different than playing by yourself, even as a monk. You can't protect your allies in any way more than passively, and there aren't any set-ups or combos you can do. You run around punching things with more graphics on the screen, and that's unfortunately about it.

B: Currently there's no real build options. One build is head and shoulders above the rest, so you're stuck playing the same way for a very long time. This IS changing with the patch though, regardless of what people are saying.

C: Lower MPs are better for experience (though they are boosting this, lower will still be better, but not by so incredibly much), and MFing (they aren't touching this at all, lower MPs will be head, shoulders and the majority of the abdomen above other MPs same as it is now in terms of farming). This makes gameplay boring.

D: Passive actives. There are just too many active skills in this game that are cast and forget for 5 minutes, and unfortunately they tend to be the most effective skills for their slot.

E: There's no reward at the end of the rainbow. There are no items in the game that will allow you to change your playstyle, that you can build around, that will finally allow you to experience the game differently. It may increase some numbers on your sheet, and you might be able to bump MP up one notch and experience it in the exact same way you used to experience the lower one, but that's hardly interesting at all.

And that's probably about it for why the combat fails where it should shine, other than those things, it's really quite good.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Guybrush
Here's the thing. The combat in this game is easily the best in any ARPG, and it unfortunately doesn't matter because:

nope

02/04/2013 04:24 PMPosted by n0rain
There are only 2 games that have put me to sleep while playing them. WoW and D3.
Reply Quote
I share your sentiments about the entirety of the game (the monk part, i've learned to give up on that a long long time ago). This is precisely why lately i find myself playing that "other" game since its open beta. And sadly, it has given me some of the things i've been craving for in D3 but was not getting. Well having my monk reach p100 more than a month ago didn't certainly help my case. Even my desire to race my WD to p100 as well has been somewhat lost lately. Hopefully 1.07 can bring back some of that desire (although to be honest, i kinda doubt it).
Reply Quote
Regarding the loss of faith, I suggest you wait for the Q&A. I think Blizzard clearly goofed something with the website, and it's somewhat silly that they haven't corrected the set bonuses or replied in a couple days, but maybe they all take a vacation on the day after the Super Bowl. (I've already requested a vacation day on February 3, 2014. It's already been approved, in fact.)

Regarding the game itself, just take a break. The most hardcore, no-life gamer who has been playing D3 for 10 hours a day since release hasn't played as much D3 as I've played poker. I own over two dozen poker books, and I've read them all multiple times. (I've read some of them 6 to 8 times.) If you guys think I put a lot of math into D3, you have NO IDEA how much time I've spent analyzing no-limit hold 'em and Omaha.

And, guess what? I need freaking breaks from poker. I occasionally get burned out a bit. RNG bites me in the !@# too often, and I need to walk away and find something else to do. But I always come back to it because I enjoy various aspects of the game: the challenge, the quest for understanding, the camaraderie, the fun. There's always something else I could be doing, so, on occasion, I do that instead. But I usually come back refreshed.

So that's my advice: take a break. One day, two days, a week, a month, doesn't matter. Whatever floats your boat.
Reply Quote
Piffle, well written and said! I haven't played since last Friday and I don't miss it at all. TBH, when I log on I have no motivation to play. Grind the same content for the same poor results; I guess that is the nature of this game. Whether or not that is the intended design your OP has some valid and accurate points that Blizzard should address.

I log on, if my friends are playing, I'll jump in for some some fun. Otherwise, meh.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 04:23 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
Skyrim

Skyrim kicks !@#. Load up the best mods before you start.
Reply Quote
agreed.

to describe in two words, what has become of the d3 experience....

... diminishing returns.
Edited by Stryder#1200 on 2/4/2013 6:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Fitz
Skyrim

Skyrim kicks !@#. Load up the best mods before you start.

I 'finished' Skyrim before D3 came out. Maxed level, maxed every skill, collected every Dark artifact, got over a million gold, outfitted all my houses ... it was fun getting to that point, and swapping back from a 2her (which I wasn't specced into) into my normal gear made me feel ridiculously OP. It was almost too easy at that point, haha.

Regarding the loss of faith, I suggest you wait for the Q&A. I think Blizzard clearly goofed something with the website, and it's somewhat silly that they haven't corrected the set bonuses or replied in a couple days, but maybe they all take a vacation on the day after the Super Bowl. (I've already requested a vacation day on February 3, 2014. It's already been approved, in fact.)

Hopefully!

So that's my advice: take a break. One day, two days, a week, a month, doesn't matter. Whatever floats your boat.

Yea, I mean, on the one hand, I get this sort of advice.

But on the other hand, it's not like I play every day right now as it is. I usually go several days without playing during the week just due to real life stuff. And then the weekend rolls around and I'm totally revved up to play some D3.

I mean it's not like I'm about ready to uninstall the game and give my stuff away; I've just been disappointed lately in the direction (or lack thereof) that the game seems to be going. Well, and reading a thread in the general forums talking about how there's no real progression didn't help either, heh :P
Reply Quote
I am right there with you piffle. I don't really care about barb set gear thou. I feel like monks have enough gear to choose from. There is an issue with our lack of ability to get good resist all with our set tho. Which makes taking owe seem like such a necessity.

The improvement to spirit spenders is great. I have been spamming bells for months, so this is a welcome change. However, it does not do much. Now we can choose between thunderclap or quickening basically. There are sooo many easy fixes they could make to the monk class to give us so many more build options, I have several posts, and countless other people have them as well.

My current issues

1. Uncertainty in gearing - what changes will they make, and will I ultimately regret trying to stack fire resist with things like cindercoat? What if they change owe? What if they add resist all to the inna's set? This is a big problem I have had with this game. What will the next patch bring, and is it even worth trying to improve gear?
2. Lack of passive choices - enough said here
3. So many terrible runes. How on earth did some of these make it out of development? Circle of scorn deals 80% weapon damage when you cast BOH. Someone needs to be fired, seriously...I was looking through runes before the game was out, and I was trying to convince myself don't worry, I am sure some of these have just numbers plugged in them for the time being...nope!
4. On the topic of balancing, and number tweaking. Can we please stop doubling things? Is a first grader in charge of balancing?
5. Lack of choice on spirit generators
6. Lack of incentive for higher mp. Higher mp should improve exp gain and MF. This will make top gear more worthwhile.
7. Lack of incentive to farm game over auction house as piffle mentioned. How about an optional mode we can play where MF is doubled (since they like doubling things), and everything you find is account bound. This would give incentive to make new characters as you would want to use found gear for other characters instead of just instantly selling it.
Reply Quote
lol, I like EmperorMao, he delivers the smackdowns, darkside style ;D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]