Diablo® III

New Gem prices are not going to fly....

View profile
This entire new gem thing as far as price is just bad for everyone... I'm happy to see there are new gems and that you are considering the end game of solo players with this BoA stuff... but at the end of the day what normal solo playing person is going to have 20 mil to make the gem let alone 5 mil to unsocket it... give me a break... this is just as bad as raising the rates on repairs... NO ONE WANTS THIS!

Now, having seen Rob's input on Jay's departure I can tell where all of these idea are coming from... "HEY, IF IT WORKED IN WOW... AYUCK"... no offense Rob, but WoW works because it is WoW... it's a thriving community of players and a social outlet... granted, making things costs buckets of money promotes scope and scale... I know this, but you have got to stop injecting this formula into Diablo... it's not good for it. Diablo should be fluid, fast, and fun. Not slow, repetitive and unrewarding. Again I understand this for wow... after all you have a chest piece lets say for a month or 2 until the next patch or content comes out.. maybe even for 6 months to a year... so 5 mil for something like that makes sense... but NOT for Diablo.

Also, Items need fixed, Buff icons need a look, multiplayer needs a look, and high level MP needs another look as far as "elite legendaries go"... which, by the way, needs to be a new category to give mp5-10 the edge on itemization.

Thank you for the hard work... although this "ask the devs" is nothing more than a ploy to get the "most pressing" problems narrowed down... I'm glad you are doing it for what it is, but why not just take the walls of text that are at the top of the forums day in and day out and summarize what they mean... i.e. Items are bad, etc etc? Well, in any case, I look forward to playing more and seeing the xp boost for MP gives me hope, which in turn will make getting paragon and thus better items a reality! You are headed in the right direction! Keep up the good work!
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 09:42 AMPosted by TheOneRaven
NO ONE WANTS THIS!

I want this. I like inflation controls.

Anyone remember the arguments about how no one was going to have Radiant Star gems because they cost a bajillion gold and took a bajillion gems to make, etc etc. Good times.
Reply Quote
You have to look at it like this: what's going to give you better stats? A 20 million piece of gear, or a marquis gem?

For people who are playing with a 30 million piece of gear in every single slot, spending 20 million on a gem becomes more of a choice. For people like me, who's total gear value doesn't even add up to 20 million...we just smile, nod, and move on, don't care. Keep calm and kill demons.
Reply Quote
View profile
I play mostly solo... sell some things on GAH now and again.. but I can tell you... no one wants this... even the Hellfire ring plans are too much... let them drop somewhere... gold sinks will only hurt those that play by the rules... get a clue Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Gems should be able to be combined endlessly (i.e. 3 Marquise make a Perfect Marquise, 3 Perfect Marquise make...). The game could use more gold sinks and this would be a good one.

It also would just be amusing to see how much some people are willing to spend to be the best. I guarantee that if you could make a billion gold gem, someone would be putting them in every socket he has.
Reply Quote
Top of the line things are not meant for everyone.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 01:39 PMPosted by TheOneRaven
I play mostly solo... sell some things on GAH now and again.. but I can tell you... no one wants this... even the Hellfire ring plans are too much... let them drop somewhere... gold sinks will only hurt those that play by the rules... get a clue Blizzard.
you don't really need the plans until you have 1 of each organ.

Believe me, once you get the three organs, you are efficient in a high MP or you grinded for ages, either way the <1M price for the hell fire plans is nothing.
Reply Quote
OK... my 2 cents...

This is going to last until 1.1

They need to reduce the flooded Gem and gold market and this is a way to do it. Also once people have them all Account bound they eliminate the need for people to take advantage of any exploit to oversaturate the market again.

Average players will still be in the same boat they were in before and the super powerful become better by small% nothing will change. Once the elitists have all their gems for a few months the general population will get ours in the form of lower prices or a better way to pay players in game.

Account bound quest rewards is also the next step to this game. trust me.. Not that I want it but I will not complain much if they do. So don't waste a ton of gold getting them if you are not a Min/Max elitist ;) IMO
Reply Quote
Once you get to the point in the game where it will matter, your gear should be fairly static, meanining you likely won't be changing up alot anyways.
Reply Quote
but at the end of the day what normal solo playing person is going to have 20 mil to make the gem
I bet you that within one week after 1.07 is released, most of the top 30 will have replaced their radiant stars with Marquises.

20 mil to make the gem let alone 5 mil to unsocket it
Should the unsocket cost be really such a big deal?

You have just crafted the best ever gem. of course, you will socket it into your best gear. You don't need to unsocket the gem to upgrade it. So you are not going to be constantly removing the gem from the socket.

The real item sink comes from keeping the marquise in the socket. The highest tier gear will receive these gems. As long as there is a marquise in your item, it will be account bound. The 5m penalty will make players pay extra for the privilege of posting high tier items they have already used.
Reply Quote
View profile
Why not make gear you craft in 1.0.7 only ab if you equip it? If it's not an upgrade then sell it.
Reply Quote

What a stupid statement. :facepalm:

You are telling US what we want and don’t want?
YOU need to figure out what YOUR goals are and not tell us what our goals are and what we want.

Damn I would love if there were content in the expansion that was only for the top 30% of the community. :D
To get access you needed skill or dedication.

02/03/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Greymateria
Top of the line things are not meant for everyone.

But the spoiled little kids will be frustrated and cry.
Edited by Kathal#2531 on 2/3/2013 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
New gems will fly just fine.

Tons of Diablo players want to show off their epeen and they'll never be able to with mere radiant star gems socketed into weapons and helm.

The costs aren't even that prohibitive these days.
Think of how expensive radiant star gems were in relation to your gold during the first couple months of the game launch. It's not a lot different.

My only gripe, and it's a big one, is the cost to unsocket the gem.
5 million gold is ridiculous because it in no way scales with anything prior to set a precedence. Players will spend real money to buy these gems, no one wants to pay real money just to socket it into an upgraded weapon or on an alt down the road.
This is a bad place to put a goldsink IMO.
Reply Quote
but at the end of the day what normal solo playing person is going to have 20 mil to make the gem
I bet you that within one week after 1.07 is released, most of the top 30 will have replaced their radiant stars with Marquises.

I think it will go a lot farther than top 30 (though only weapon/helm sockets. I think most of the people I've talked to even near the top are going to pass on the armor sockets.) I'm barely top 200* and I'm planning on swapping out 3.

* by diabloprogress top 200 DH heroscores in Americas. Not that that really means anything really, except as a frame of reference vis-a-vis top 30. Feel free to point out exactly how far away that is from "top 30" which was really my point anyway.
Edited by skp#1805 on 2/3/2013 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 02:36 PMPosted by babinro
This is a bad place to put a goldsink IMO.

They try to hit those with billions of gold.
If you can afford the top gems you dont lack money for upgrades or to unsocket gems.
Reply Quote
You have to look at it like this: what's going to give you better stats? A 20 million piece of gear, or a marquis gem?

For people who are playing with a 30 million piece of gear in every single slot, spending 20 million on a gem becomes more of a choice. For people like me, who's total gear value doesn't even add up to 20 million...we just smile, nod, and move on, don't care. Keep calm and kill demons.

Cost is 20million AND losing 3 of your radiant star gems, so closer to 80million. Also you need really high end gear for this to be worth it. Take any 100m gear with 1 socket. You get 85m for selling on AH, this means you could buy something for 85m + 80m for the same price as upgrading a gem. I bet that 100 -> 165m upgrade is better than 4 stat points the gem gets you.

Also the real gem sink here is with players who upgrade all their gem slots with marquis, then find a gear upgrade where they lose a socket, which means they are stuck with a 80m gem they have no use for and can't sell.
Reply Quote
I actually decided to look at the OP profile... why in the world do you care what these gems are priced at? You are on all star gems, including your weapons. You are not even close to upgrading to radiant stars let alone Marquise.

This change does not effect you in least (except making your gold and gem/tome drops worth a bit more), and you have no idea what its like to be sitting on a billion, or a few billion worth of gear in which case the cost is minimal relative to your gear level.

but I can tell you... no one wants this...

And yet you repeat yourself even after I posted that I do want this. Some people that are actually going to use these gems will agree with you, some will not. Either way, you are not in a position to speak for the players that can afford these gems.
Reply Quote
Other than the hardcore of the hardcore, or really naive, no one will or should buy these for the small boost but outlandish cost, with no return ever warranted, IE selling the gem when your done.

Most will stick with Radiant star gems till a time that deems that they need too upgrade.
Reply Quote
Other than the hardcore of the hardcore, or really naive, no one will or should buy these for the small boost but outlandish cost, with no return ever warranted, IE selling the gem when your done.

Most will stick with Radiant star gems till a time that deems that they need too upgrade.

You're forgetting PVP. The first time some kid who spent hundreds of dollars on his character gets facerolled in PVP by someone rocking Marquise gems, you can bet he'll be paying Shen a visit ASAP
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]