Diablo® III

Barb Viability Advice Needed, Please?

Good evening, HC forum.

I've spent the vast majority of my time in D3 with the Wizard and eventually worked my way to the end of Inferno but found the survivability to not be optimal to the point of relatively quick Paragon Leveling without having significantly good gear or perhaps I'm playing them poorly, which is possible.

I've found that Barbarians have the highest survivability of all the classes if done reasonably well and the highest level I've ever attained with a barbarian prior to starting my current (and only ever) HC Barbarian was 36. I've since worked my way to 60 (1) and have gotten what I believe to be relatively decent gear and I've worked my way through Act 1 Inferno with extremely little trouble using a Rend/Revenge build that works really well but I was hoping to get to Act 3 and farm MP0 using a Whirlwind build. Unfortunately I'm far from an expert on the Barbarian class. Below is the barbarian I'm currently using and sadly until I can get a bit more gold I don't know that I can upgrade that much further (I have a few million remaining). I know we have some exceptional barbarian players here in the HC community and I would greatly appreciate their input on what skills I should take (I know to change Furious Charge for something like Overpowered to increase Crit chance even more), how I should ideally play or any other helpful bits of advice they would wish to share, it would all be very much appreciated. My goal is to do MP0 Alk Runs to farm some equipment and paragon level relatively quickly and safely.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JamesMMA-1148/hero/31044383
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592639226

Stick with rend ( bloodlust )+ revenge (provocation ) instead of ww and charge for now

wrath of the berserker ( insanity ) for the burst of damage

use leap as your normal escape mechnism instead of battle rage atm

do these so that you can stay alive in public mp0 act 3 games , once you have collected enough gear , you can switch to double nado builds
Reply Quote
Rend is my personal choice vs ww and furious charge is a risky skill to use from what I've heard. Also you can probably find a better block% stormshield pretty cheaply which would be helpful to you.
Reply Quote
I am running a 5m budget ww barb excluding the 2 rings and glove I already had and running the ww build act1mp1 or act3mp0 for a small sample but it is working very fine. And it is very fun!!! I don't think 30m are needed to be successful doing the tornadoes
Reply Quote
Frankly, I am not a fan of the WW build for HC. In my experience, it is an excellent build that will work extremely well 99% of the time. Sorry, but 99% is not good enough for HC. That 1% of the time that it doesn't work extremely well will get you killed.

Some people will tell you that the WW build is perfectly safe as long as you do it right, and I am inclined to agree. The problem is the very nature of the WW build is constant action, and we cannot deny our human nature that the faster we try to perform, the more prone to mistakes we will become.

Beyond that, what I'd suggest for you is a better shield and drop Furious Charge for Leap.
Reply Quote
I would suggest either grabbing a combination of +radius pick up and +globe and health pot together so you can stand in the middle of battle and those red globes will heal u, OR you can grab a huge amount of life regeneration. I currently run a ww build for act 1 inferno and my stat's aren't too far off from yours. You can even grab +life steal or +loh
Reply Quote
Change these skills and runes

Furious charge for leap, I like the rune where you suck enemies in but which ever one you like best.

Battle rage- use the maurader rune that increases dmg

WotB - use insanity

Switch either weapons master or ruthless out for one of the armor skills, which ever adds the most, you need some more armor.

Keep WW if you like, I ran it when I was under geared, it's a great escape skill IMO, If you get boxed in you can always whirl your way out. Just my opinion hope it helps
Edited by Swisha#1734 on 2/2/2013 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
I love the HC forum. :)

Thank you everyone for all the help, I'm definitely not an expert on the barb and have spent more than a few hours reading everything Barb related I could find on these forums to augment what I know. I'm to the point where it's about understanding the really subtle mechanics, as it should be in HC.

Special thanks to Wocket, that link is amazing, thank you, sir!
Reply Quote
Oh, I do have a question.... another one, I mean.

How do barbs go about not getting effected by Frozen? I think WotB immunizes you from it's effects but how else can it be done, if at all?
Reply Quote
I've only played WW barb. You basically got to find your nitch and stick with it. I can't stand Rend play, others live by it....play around and bit and find out what suits you best.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Zurn
I've only played WW barb. You basically got to find your nitch and stick with it. I can't stand Rend play, others live by it....play around and bit and find out what suits you best.

I've used Rend/Revenge, really, to get from A3 Hell to A3 Inferno with little problems but I want to do WW Alk runs for the speed efficiency but I'm not really super familiar with the barbarian mechanics. I must defer to the experts. Rend/Revenge has served me well so far... great survivability, only had one scare and that was about 30 minutes ago in a room full of arcane and desecrate with some e lashers but was able to charge outta there. :)
Reply Quote
If you want to Whirlwind without WotB then maximize your survival.
I'd be happy with 8000 Armor, 800 All Resists, 3k Life Regeneration while using a Shield.
10k Armor and 1k All Resist for Dual Wielding. Exaggerated? Possibly.
Life on Hit and Life Steal will just make things a lot more easier.

Run Like the Wind works more efficiently the higher your Critical Hit Chance and Attack Speed.
Anyway, skills usually perform best when you consider the gear you have.

I've tested a few alternative builds...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593400241?page=1
Reply Quote
Some of you seem to be bagging WW but I think you may only be considering one or two runes (e.g., hurricane.)

Take a look at Blood Funnel. It is by far the best survivability skill for Barbs.

Mobility, damage, and immense healing all at once.

It's fairly common to see heal ticks north of 15k when WW-ing in a big pack.

Something that is poorly understood is that WW's proc does not apply to Blood Funnel, it is 2% hp per crit, period. Because it's proportional to your EHP it gets better as you progress, unlike a given amount of LOH, and is not dependent upon damage like LL (so you do not have to do hugeeeee MP6+ worthy damage to get any benefit.)
Edited by muir#1911 on 2/2/2013 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Blood Funnel if you have the Run Speed to back it up.
Reply Quote

How do barbs go about not getting effected by Frozen? I think WotB immunizes you from it's effects but how else can it be done, if at all?

We barbs have no other effective cc breaker other than WoTB

Either you run whenever those ice things are spawned ( hence the 24% ms) or You tough the whole freeze out (aka 2 gazillion eHP).

Jugganaut does help but it is a waste of slot when wotb does a better job of completely negating the freeze effects .. u will still take the damage though.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 09:32 PMPosted by Sherwin

Afaik , when u use anything besides hurricane , you will be travelling at base movement speed.

The reason why we use hurricane is to spread nados which is the main source of damage
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 10:40 PMPosted by Wockets

Afaik , when u use anything besides hurricane , you will be travelling at base movement speed.

The reason why we use hurricane is to spread nados which is the main source of damage

Not accurate, if you have Movement Speed your ww will increase in speed. I do not know the fraction that WW moves based on your movement speed, but it is some proportional amount.

e.g., using sprint with non-hurricane-runed WW will increase your WW movement speed.

One nice thing about Blood Funnel is you can completely ignore LOH and LL on items, which can help if you are not worth BILLIONS OF BILLIONS OF GOLD.
Reply Quote

We barbs have no other effective cc breaker other than WoTB

Either you run whenever those ice things are spawned ( hence the 24% ms) or You tough the whole freeze out (aka 2 gazillion eHP).

Jugganaut does help but it is a waste of slot when wotb does a better job of completely negating the freeze effects .. u will still take the damage though.

What I would say to that is when playing in a group, WoTB becomes more of a wasted of slot. You can't really run TOC without speeding off ahead of the group, so you end up reserving it for an Oh!@#$ moment which either never comes, or if it does leaves you cowering in fear during the cooldown.

Juggernaut's heal is 15%, I could see your point if playing very high damage monsters, but at least in my experience that 15% essentially keeps my life topped off. Frozen in particular becomes more of a health source than anything to worry about. It also reduces the cc duration by 20% which is notable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]