Diablo® III

D3 Item Game: A Big Step Back

Item Overview In D3
Whites (Commons): Completely worthless
Blues (Uncommons): Completely worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly but too few stats
Yellows (Rares): Usually worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly
Oranges (Legendaries): Usually worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly
Greens (Sets): Usually worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly

Item Overview in D2
Whites (Commons): Sell for lots of gold (People will say gold was worthless in D2, no... It wasn't. Watch someone die in a Baal run and every cockroach B-lines for the pile. Helps with repairs, buys consumables, and gambling), can be used for socketing, can be used to make rares
Gray (Ethereal): Can be used to make godly crafted weapons (RWs) or godly mercenary gear
Blues (Uncommons): Can be used to make random crafted items
Yellows (Rares): If the stars line up, you can find something better than any unique. If not, sells for a lot
Oranges (Crafted): If the stars line up, you can find something better than any unique. If not, sells for a lot
Gold (Unique): Almost always good, stats roll between exceptional and godly
Gold (Rune Words): Possibly the most inventive, creative, interesting, and fun crafting mechanics I've ever experienced in a game, why they didn't carry it over blows my mind to pieces (They were a bit OP, ok... So tone them down, problem solved). Also if you found lower more "useless" runes you could combine them and work your way up. Even the freaking useless items in D2 could be made useful, and again stats roll between exceptional and godly
Green (Sets): Most sets suck but again you know what you're getting, stats roll between exceptional and godly

Edit--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought I would provide an example of how idiotic the stat rolling in this game is...
2 Different Windforce Drops (D2)
* 400 top end damage, 6% life steal, 20% Attack Speed, +5dex, Knockback (Traded within an hour)
* 550 top end damage, 8% life steal, 20% Attach Speed, +5dex, Knockback (Traded within an hour)

2 Different Manticore Drops (D3)
* 2 sockets, dex, 1401.4dps, increased crit dmg 94%, 10% attack speed (Sells immediately almost 2 billion)
* 1 socket, strength, intelliegence *throws up in mouth*, 845dps, attack speed 10%, crit dmg 66% (Doesn't sell after 1month, salvaged)

Please don't tell me you don't see something wrong with this system...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Edit

I hate comparing D2 to D3 but it's kind of confusing why a game over a decade later has less itemization options than D2 does. I'm not arguing that items are better or worse for DPS/survivability, comparing stats between games is just stupid, but LESS OPTIONS. I mean just look at the list, there's something you can do with just about every item type in D2. Whereas in D3 you basically don't even read white/blue text that drops, you don't even bother picking up most yellows, and most legendaries end up discarded. D3 item game is basically: Pick up rare jewelry and i63 1handed weapons, pick up legendaries, and very rarely if never win the lottery. There are just a hell of a lot less item activities in this title.

And please don't feed me the usual "D2 didn't have at launch" garbage,
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8135/diabloevolution.jpg
is not how a business should be progressing with their products in terms of amount of features. If D2 LOD left off with a certain feature, D3 should have improved on it or at the very least replaced it with something new. It feels like they simply deleted half the game and dusted their hands off.
Edited by IllIllllIllI#1363 on 2/4/2013 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1 OP
Reply Quote
Yeah, game definitely needs more options.

True, these were added in expansions, but it just doesn't look good to release with less. A lot less. It's the same reason so many MMOs fail when going against WoW, WoW simply has 10 times more content and stuff than anything else. Blizzard should have taken note of this when releasing D3.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 2/2/2013 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
really op? Its so spot on that it hurts :)

+1!
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:19 PMPosted by AvantGarde
D2 didn't have those features at launch

You just turned my frown upside-down.
Reply Quote
Great summery and Point OP!

D3 got the combat right, but items, so wrong. Items in an ARPG are too important to mess up.
Reply Quote
hi , i have a laptop an samsung R540 , and ive stoped playing diablo 3 about 6 months ...
now i wanted to play again... did the updates and stuff...
and guess what ... every 5 minutes my laptop shuts down ...
whenever i login i get to play 5minutes or so after that my laptop shuts down...
it is not a heating problem ...
i use to play like 10 hours last summer and still was working fine ...
what is wrong ?
please reply !

Take it to the tech support forum.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:19 PMPosted by AvantGarde
D2 didn't have those features at launch

I'm sorry, but is Diablo 3 a sequel to Diablo 1?
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:23 PMPosted by Radton
D3 got the combat right

Probably the reason I don't see myself ever going back to D2, they definately made an amazing combat system. Too bad the rest of it... Well I think you know how I feel about it.
Reply Quote
It boggles my mind that in a game where items trump everything else, they got itemization so wrong.

The saddest part is that just days before launch, Blizzard blatantly lied to us about itemization.

When they posted the information on the website about Legendary items, there was a big outcry from us because they all looked really crappy. One of the CM's (I think it was Bashiok) replied and said "Oh no don't worry, those are just placeholder. Real legendaries in the game are awesome!" Herpaderp.
Reply Quote
I'm going to have to agree. Why did they divert so much away from Diablo II when clearly it was a huge success even 10 years after the fact.

When Neal Young released an album in the 80's that was current and of the times, guess what? that album was his worst critically and at sales. Diablo III really only sold due to the legacy of the 2nd one.
Reply Quote
this guy hit it spot on the head, Pretty sure NOONE on the diablo 3 Dev Team has a answer to this question

should've put this in that Thread man..
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 11:42 AMPosted by IllIllllIllI

They were used for a lot more than that.

Ever heard of a Jeweler's Sacred Targe/Monarch of Deflecting, Lancer's Matriarchal Javelin of Swiftness, Jeweler's of the Whale, Echoing Spears, 2os 6LS trap claws and that's just to name a few.
Reply Quote
agree with you 100% think if this did not happen then blizzard would not make so much money off us using the AH and items/gold they put on there for us to purchase....which intern makes people frustrated and leave the game but blizzard does not care because they still are making money off someone else.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:31 PMPosted by Baconan
Ever heard of a Jeweler's Sacred Targe/Monarch of Deflecting, Lancer's Matriarchal Javelin of Swiftness, Jeweler's of the Whale, Echoing Spears, 2os 6LS trap claws and that's just to name a few.

Sexy.
Reply Quote

Pretty sure most the people who are on the Diablo 3 Team, didnt play Diablo 2 far enough into

HIGH END farming/trading to realize even blue items could be some of the Best in Slot/ added sick character customization to the game

JMOD would sell for several amounts of sojs or hrs lol (A blue item Blizzard)
Reply Quote
View profile

Stop, stop you'll make their heads asplode... :)
Reply Quote
Item Overview In D3
Whites (Commons): Completely worthless

Agreed.
Used only during levels 1-10 and very much optional at those stages.

Blues (Uncommons): Completely worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly but too few stats

Wrong.
Blues get plenty of use from levels 1-40ish.
In the endgame they are valuable as materials which often sell for decent gold.

Yellows (Rares): Usually worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly

Wrong.
Extremely useful from levels 1-60.
After which they are heavily used during the early MP inferno stages.
Some yellows even offer endgame stats and so they hold a purpose at all stages of the game.

Oranges (Legendaries): Usually worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly

Wrong.
95% of players here have several legendary items worn.
Usually worthless? Brimstones have value.
Many of us consider 20k for a single item to be a good deal. They also have crafting benefits.

Greens (Sets): Usually worthless, stats roll anywhere between unusable garbage and godly

Wrong.
Not everyone is at the endgame. Poorly rolled set items are still strong because of their set benefits. In the long run people will want to upgrade them for further power but early on it's all about the bonuses.
Truly terrible ones are brimstones which have value.

The OP is posting this from an elitist standpoint.
They've clearly lost touch with the importance of items.
I'm not claiming that itemization is great...but it's not as worthless as the OP would make you think.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]