Diablo® III

Alleged 'pro' players.

If you thin
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 3/11/2013 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That's fantastic
Reply Quote
That's fantastic for you but wtf does that have to do with making a living off of D3? So the truth comes out that you have supplemental income...wow

Because the amount I make off D3 is larger than my monthy bills. Any additional sources of income are a moot point because those sources were established because of games like D3.

I started with nothing and I used money from online gaming to create an investment which has a return. Once I get enough money I plan on investing again into a business for an even larger return. It is a never ending process but this all started with online gaming.

So you bought rental houses by playing games like D3...how many AH games are there out there? If not then its not a moot point as it has direct correlation to your current financial standing...
Edited by pcjunkie#1409 on 2/4/2013 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Chillaxin
you can pay your bills off of unemployment but you can't make a living off of it, because well it runs out, just like D3 will...I can't believe I even have to argue this point

Wake up. Making money off of online gaming will not run out. The potential grows every year. It is a booming business. Many people have found ways to make a living off of it and you just choose to ignore evidence. Paying the bills consistently every month with money to spare while having fun the whole time is better than the "steady jobs" you mention. I've never once got a dime from unemployment because my paypal transactions count as income. I pay taxes just like the rest of you but the difference is I don't lose any money from student loan interest, or house payments, etc. My house costs around 2,000 in taxes and 700 in insurance per year fully owned and payed for. That is 225 per month and I rent out half of the house (3-bedroom setup) for $650 per month. My own home pays for itself including any repairs it may need like the new plumbing It needed 4 months ago.

Being economically efficient is more valuable than a college degree.

^
Things that people without college degrees say for 100 Alex...

Being economically efficient WITH a college degree is more valuable than being economically efficient without one.

The fact that you own a duplex only means you're in a better starting place to live off of a small income than someone who doesn't have a house that's paid for. This in no way is proof that playing games is a more efficient way to earn a living than going to college. Somewhere there's a guy with a college degree who's house is also paid for, only he doesn't have to share his house with tenants.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:25 PMPosted by pcjunkie
So you bought rental houses by playing games like D3...how many AH games are there out there? If not then its not a moot point as it has direct correlation to your current financial standing...

I didn't mean to make it sound like multiple. It is just one 5-bedroom duplex split with 3 on one side, 2 on the other. You don't need an auction house to flip items.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 3/11/2013 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There's always people that are going to argue the "standard" way of making money and the entrepreneurial way of making money.

I face people like pcjunkie every day. It's not that they're wrong, but it's just a different lifestyle and it's not for everybody. Those people will *never* understand how to make money via non-traditional means because to them, they'll always have a boss, always looking for a higher salary or a higher wage. The daily grind is a standard way of life to them and they would have it no other way.

The problem with what we do is that it's an extremely risky venture. You don't know where your money is going to come from next, you don't know what's going to happen the next day, and so on, so forth. There's very few success stories out there so that leads many to think similar to pcjunkie. In fact they aren't even AWARE that there's successes out there because in their mind there are none and won't go looking for it nor will they tolerate any stories people have to share.

The life we live is not easy but it's that success around the corner which is what drives many of us to do what we do. Making money off of online gaming isn't the only thing out there. So just as we have pcjunkie telling us it isn't possible, there's lots of other people that say selling on ebay isn't possible, selling on Amazon isn't possible, and so on. Pretty much replace that marketplace/venture and you'll find that everybody says that it isn't possible. We all know it's not true.
Reply Quote
I prefer never to go in debt from student loans. People who choose the college path are good people too.
Reply Quote
There's always people that are going to argue the "standard" way of making money and the entrepreneurial way of making money.

I face people like pcjunkie every day. It's not that they're wrong, but it's just a different lifestyle and it's not for everybody. Those people will *never* understand how to make money via non-traditional means because to them, they'll always have a boss, always looking for a higher salary or a higher wage. The daily grind is a standard way of life to them and they would have it no other way.

The problem with what we do is that it's an extremely risky venture. You don't know where your money is going to come from next, you don't know what's going to happen the next day, and so on, so forth. There's very few success stories out there so that leads many to think similar to pcjunkie. In fact they aren't even AWARE that there's successes out there because in their mind there are none and won't go looking for it nor will they tolerate any stories people have to share.

The life we live is not easy but it's that success around the corner which is what drives many of us to do what we do. Making money off of online gaming isn't the only thing out there. So just as we have pcjunkie telling us it isn't possible, there's lots of other people that say selling on ebay isn't possible, selling on Amazon isn't possible, and so on. Pretty much replace that marketplace/venture and you'll find that everybody says that it isn't possible. We all know it's not true.

No offense but I meet people like you every day that think they are going to change the world with their "uniqueness". Bottom line is I hope you do because the market/world needs people like that. The undeniable flaw in the ointment is I wasn't talking about short term money making schemes, investments, etc...I was ONLY talking about making a living off of DIABLO III. Some of you have blown this so out of proportion that its almost laughable. So apparently you don't know me as well as you think you do!
Reply Quote
This in no way is proof that playing games is a more efficient way to earn a living than going to college.
There's also no proof that going to college is a more efficient way to earn a living. I've read lots of articles out there about college degrees being useless because companies are demanding more now. Not only do they want the degree, but also 5+ years of relevant experience in the industry and so on. They don't want someone fresh out of college with no industry experience.

Even if you do get a job, you'll be working your *** off for the next 10 years or so paying off college in the first place. And that's what most people call a success!! I'm with Chillaxin, I don't think going into debt is the right answer. It might be the right path for someone else, just not me.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:37 PMPosted by pcjunkie
No offense but I meet people like you every day that think they are going to change the world with their "uniqueness".

I gota go for now; girlfriend wants me in bed. See ya in 8 hours.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 3/11/2013 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:41 PMPosted by speedforce
This in no way is proof that playing games is a more efficient way to earn a living than going to college.
There's also no proof that going to college is a more efficient way to earn a living. I've read lots of articles out there about college degrees being useless because companies are demanding more now. Not only do they want the degree, but also 5+ years of relevant experience in the industry and so on. They don't want someone fresh out of college with no industry experience.

Even if you do get a job, you'll be working your *** off for the next 10 years or so paying off college in the first place. And that's what most people call a success!! I'm with Chillaxin, I don't think going into debt is the right answer. It might be the right path for someone else, just not me.

I agree with that as I got my job because of experience not because of a degree, which I don't have although my job usually requires one. Unfortunately some people don't have that luxury of not borrowing money. That's just the way it is...
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Chillaxin
No offense but I meet people like you every day that think they are going to change the world with their "uniqueness".

You're the one who has blown this out of proportion by saying things like that. I never said I was going to change the world by following my own path. I'm only changing my own individual surroundings.

You wanted to know if it was possible to support yourself with Diablo3 alone. Well the fact is it is possible. There are players out there who make a lot more money than I do. They usually do it by rollback duping or some other form of cheating. Some of them make more money by being a much better flipper. Some of them multibox 4x 300kdps characters and have the ultimate farming route. I'm not the richest diablo3 player I promise you that. There are players out there who are making a living off Diablo 3.

No they are not "making a living" only paying bills in the short term and in your case with assistance...again prove it. I'd be more than willing to say I was wrong. take care!
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:41 PMPosted by speedforce

Many colleges offer internships, and other ways to get experience. My daughter just graduated from a nursing program that cost 50k for four years. Most of the last couple years were hands on in hospitals. She could get a job working at Mcdonalds making 30k a year, or she could get a nursing job making 60k a year. So the 30k extra a year paying for college, will pay for itself in less than two years.

Those articles are correct in some instances, like the kid who goes to school at a very high priced college and majors in philosophy or theology then wonders why he can't get a job. The kid who goes to music school and has no musical talent. The guy who signs up for computer networking school that doesn't know how to operate a toaster to begin with. You need to find out what jobs will be desired in a few years, and what you enjoy (and are good at), and focus on those types of careers. If the housing market is dead, and nobody is building homes, and the market is over saturated with home designers and architects, don't go to school for architecture.
Reply Quote
This makes sense!
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Chillaxin

You're the one who has blown this out of proportion by saying things like that. I never said I was going to change the world by following my own path. I'm only changing my own individual surroundings.

You wanted to know if it was possible to support yourself with Diablo3 alone. Well the fact is it is possible. There are players out there who make a lot more money than I do. They usually do it by rollback duping or some other form of cheating. Some of them make more money by being a much better flipper. Some of them multibox 4x 300kdps characters and have the ultimate farming route. I'm not the richest diablo3 player I promise you that. There are players out there who are making a living off Diablo 3.

He has a girlfriend in case anyone didn't catch that... a female human companion who desires him in bed.
Reply Quote
You know the game's in trouble when worthless threads like this get into the top 10...
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 01:35 PMPosted by CylentPsycho
Pro: A gamer with in-depth knowledge of X game that optimizes gear/skills/time so that they're efficient.

Nope: a professional gamer is financially dependent upon gaming, the time spent playing is no longer "leisure" time. Professional gamers are sponsored by large companies and can earn more than $100,000USD a year, in addition to the following that some obtain.[14] In the United States, Major League Gaming has contracted Electronic Sports Gamers with $250,000USD yearly deals.
Edited by pcjunkie#1409 on 2/4/2013 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

Also the term is Professional. Being paid doesn't make you one or entitle you to that quality.

Actually it does. There are several meanings to the word 'professional' and being paid happens to be one of them.

You are referring to one of the correct definitions and excluding the others...

One example in my field. To be considered 'Pro' in photography, the majority of your income must come from it. Taking gallery worthy pictures doesn't make you a pro, just a really good amateur.
Edited by GenghisKhan#1476 on 2/4/2013 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
there is a diffrence between a pro gamer who playes for the enjoyment and the greedy bastard trying to exploit everything he can to make money on the game... pro gamer does everything he can to suggest things to improve the game... Greedy bastard trying to make money usually just helps ruin the game.... there is a HUGE difference
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]