Diablo® III

Alleged 'pro' players.

02/04/2013 01:46 PMPosted by pcjunkie
Pro: A gamer with in-depth knowledge of X game that optimizes gear/skills/time so that they're efficient.

Nope: a professional gamer is financially dependent upon gaming, the time spent playing is no longer "leisure" time. Professional gamers are sponsored by large companies and can earn more than $100,000USD a year, in addition to the following that some obtain.[14] In the United States, Major League Gaming has contracted Electronic Sports Gamers with $250,000USD yearly deals.

You were a pro at explaining that.. (even though you didn't get paid). See what I did there?
Reply Quote
You haven't provided any proof whatsoever about making a living with D3 but go ahead and shout it to the world. I'm done and putting you on ignore.

Your relentless in your stance and trolling. I am very impressed. Its like you live for it. I bet you also believe no one. Why is that? Did something bad happen and traumatize you? I only ask because I care.

Grow up troll...try reading some of the adult reply's to your nonsense, especially the last couple pages or so. Go play D3 and earn your paycheck...chop, chop!
Edited by pcjunkie#1409 on 2/5/2013 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
As a female, in my collective experience, women of substance, who command respect from their partners would shoot this down in a NY minute. It's the equivalent of making the announcement you've resigned in order to become an online poker player....

Orly?

I want to grow up and be a philanthropist or maybe a ballerina! Care to help make that happen dear?

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

But I am guessing a woman of substance wouldn't be with someone like that anyway :-)
Reply Quote
View profile
02/05/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Anniveve
The thing that makes it work for me is my wife has a good job at a hospital with great dental and medical. Ive never made over $50,000 in a year, and without the benefits like her job offers I can't see a way you can support yourself or a family strictly from gaming. Im able to make 20k-50k a year on avg from gaming and its basically just our families spending money. So my point is you can def make some money being a gamer and consider it being "pro", but to do it by yourself and support yourself through times when things change in gaming, or you get hurt and have huge dr. bills, I dont see that being a possibility.

If I were rich, with little to no concern about budgeting, this would be perfectly acceptable for my spouse/significant other to indulge himself. But if I'm hitting a snooze button to grab a few extra minutes before I prep for a real job, hell would freeze over first before this would ever be acceptable. Outright, high risk, self-indulgent gamble with no real stability. Your wife is a saint.

But anyone who is rich wouldn't waste their time on trying to make money on a game, there are much bigger fish to fry....
Reply Quote
Your wife wants you to stop playing video games and go get a real job.

Haha #1 reason for slow game progression in ANY game
Reply Quote
VIRTUAL GOODS SALES HIT $2.3 BILLION

Among consumers, seven in 10 can be classified as gamers. Half of U.S. gamers bought virtual items last year, and one-third of the 600 gamers surveyed overall for the study. The average spent was $64 in 2011. U.S. male gamers were almost twice as likely as their female counterparts to purchase these virtual goods.

I'm sorry Chillaxin. I'm definitely leaning towards your side of the debate, I'm hoping you're telling the truth (then you'd be sort of a role model for people), but when you start pulling out stat.s like this, you've got to give citations, got to say where this information comes from. It isn't just "professional", it's a borderline legal issue.

The people who gathered those stat.s probably plagiarized someone else as well, but somewhere along the line someone did real work and deserves recognition for it. If I were you, I'd do my best to trace back to the source as far as you can without a ridiculous amount of effort and then post that as the source of the information so as to give credit to the person who deserves credit for the research/information gathering.
Edited by Philoi#1655 on 2/5/2013 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Anniveve
As a female, in my collective experience, women of substance, who command respect from their partners

Yeeeah. I believe in being a gentleman to women, but giving them automatic respect, allowing them to simply "command respect" without actually having earned it first? I've learned to stop allowing such nonsense. What have you done to command respect? I respect my mother because she screened slides for cancer to help doctors to save lives for about 30 years. She earned her respect, what have you done?
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Philoi
As a female, in my collective experience, women of substance, who command respect from their partners

Yeeeah. I believe in being a gentleman to women, but giving them automatic respect, allowing them to simply "command respect" without actually having earned it first? I've learned to stop allowing such nonsense. What have you done to command respect? I respect my mother because she screened slides for cancer to help doctors to save lives for about 30 years. She earned her respect, what have you done?

I'm not sure where your coming from...Everyone deserves respect until they show that they don't by their actions? Not sure what you mean by earned?
Reply Quote
I keep seeing people on here calling other players 'pros'. The way I see it is: Unless you're getting PAID to play D3, or any other game for that matter, you are NOT a pro. Just because a person puts a million hours into a game and has the 'best' gear and a lot of gold, it still doesn't make them a 'pro'. Um, selling things on the rmah doesn't make one a pro, either, so... That's not being PAID to play a game, no matter how you look at it. Yes, check my profile, dog me out, whatever, but what I wrote in this comment is still going to be true. Have a nice day! : )

A self-hired pro can be a pro then lol
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 10:13 AMPosted by bonerown
I wonder what your thought is about a stay at home mother who takes care of children yet provides zero income for her family? im guessing you consider them worthless leeches, since you nearly classified me as that.

Amen to that! They may not be "professionals" but stay at home moms or in rare occasions dads are the most important job there is. I think the point this poster was trying to make is that such positions require luck or support themselves. Couples work together. I used to support myself and my wife, currently she supports us. It doesn't make either one of us bad (even if it is stressful at times). I'm sure if the gaming profession got better, this person would take on more financial responsibilities and oppositely if it collapsed and this person would have to quit and find something else he loves (or hates) to help his wife to support things. I think some people are just envious that someone is able to live outside society's box while they aren't able to do that. This poster is just lucky to have a supportive partner.
Reply Quote
You dont have to be a "professionial" to be called a "Pro" in diablo game. Its 2 totally different things, "Pro" in diablo games has the meaning of being a good gamer who achieves elite status among community and with items and character. Playing the game better then people who do not have the experiance as someone who is considered to be a "Pro".

Same term as Godly, no one is a Actuall "God" but you can be called "Godly" with your character compared to other randoms and items can be "Godly" aka "God Like" meaning they are very elite status items/characters.
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 2/5/2013 1:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 06:51 AMPosted by CAUSTIC
Pro Players, thanks for the laugh! LOL Being paid, or earning gold, or maintaining a revenue of any sort does not make anyone a Pro Player, no matter what field or activity you participate in! The word Pro aka Professional is a courtesy title to those who are deemed worthy of such a title. For example, I am a truck driver, aka Commercial Licensed Driver, but for some stupid reason when we are involved in an accident we somehow become labeled a Professional Driver and should know better! But I don't recall being paid like a so-called Professional Anything! LOL

You need a specific liscence and training. Driving is your profession. You are a professional driver.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 10:13 AMPosted by bonerown

If I were rich, with little to no concern about budgeting, this would be perfectly acceptable for my spouse/significant other to indulge himself. But if I'm hitting a snooze button to grab a few extra minutes before I prep for a real job, hell would freeze over first before this would ever be acceptable. Outright, high risk, self-indulgent gamble with no real stability. Your wife is a saint.

I wonder what your thought is about a stay at home mother who takes care of children yet provides zero income for her family? im guessing you consider them worthless leeches, since you nearly classified me as that.

In all relationships, there are boundaries that are established as acceptable or not. Fidelity. Honesty. Loyalty. Perhaps even a work ethic? IF your children are of an age that requires more constant supervision and YOU are the primary, hands on, diaper-changing, feeding, cooking, cleaning, boo-boo kissing, book reading - Mr. Mom, you get nothing but high praise from me. There is nothing that is as challenging as parenting properly. But, if that is missing from the equasion, my critique stands.

At some point this risky venture of yours should be re-evaluated in the hopes that you can raise the bar higher. Firstly, for yourself and also for your wife. Eventually your children will reach an age where your attentions can be directed elsewhere. Your wife too has done some heavy lifting and I imagine might not feel as liberated to explore 'ideas for her to do something she loves' as she might if you too were more gainfully employed.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Philoi

Walking wounded? You're projecting. Commanding respect simply means we teach people how to treat us. As to the rest, I'm not related to you, married to you and you don't contribute to either the household expenses here or my well-being.You can go ask some other random stranger how they justify their existence. Let us know what kind of a response you get. :D
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 06:35 AMPosted by Bichopapao
Unless you're getting PAID to play D3, or any other game for that matter, you are NOT a pro.

But you are geting paid to play in gold! Following your idea, everyones a pro player.

Just think about it, 1mi gold equals to 25 cent. AH turned diablo in a profession, hence why its right calling all players pros.

no this is all wrong. having value does not make it payment. your house does not make you a professional home owner because the house equates to $400k. however someone who plays the game with the intent and success of selling they're efforts and finds is indeed a professional player. it must a generate a real-life income. gold is an in game item. it is not a method of living in and of itself because it is not a real currency. Being paid a livable wage for a duty that you have been trained in to proficiency is the definition of a professional.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Philoi
but when you start pulling out stat.s like this, you've got to give citations

http://research.insidenetwork.com/?s=virtual+goods

The overall market for virtual goods in the US is headed towards $2.9 billion for 2012, according to the Inside Virtual Goods report. That’s up from $2.3 billion in 2011, and $1.6 billion in 2010.

I'm sorry, I didn't think a citation was necessary.
Reply Quote
Just because you would never be known as someone who can retain knowledge doesn't make everyone else like that.

If someone puts the time in to learn the game enough to at a glance calculate the value of an item today and can make money on it, I'd consider them at the very least an expert.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Anniveve
I imagine might not feel as liberated to explore 'ideas for her to do something she loves' as she might if you too were more gainfully employed.

Your post implies that your husband should set aside his desire to do what he loves if it doesn't fit your biased definition of "gainfully employed" so you can do something you love instead. The way you hold so much value on employment status VS happiness makes me cringe.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 3/11/2013 8:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dino- Pro

................................................ ..........................._,-~"¯¯"~-,
.................................................. ................__„-~"¯¯:::,-~~-,_::::"-
.................................................. ..........„~"¯::::::::::::::"::::::::::::::::::::::\
.................................................. .__„„„-"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,
..........................................__-~"::,-':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::~-,
..........................._______~"___-~"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::: :: :::::::::::"-,
......................,~"::::::::::::::¯¯::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,: |
....................:/:::::::::::::::::__-~":::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~":'\'-,:\:|:\|::\|\::\:|
...................,'::::::::,-~~"~"_::',::|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :: :::,~ ':\'-,::',"-\::'':"::::::::\|:|/
..............._,-'"~----":::/,~"¯"-:|::|::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,~"::\'-,:\;;'-';;;;;;;;;;;,-'::\::|/
............,-'::::::::::::::::'-\~"O¯_/::,'::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-',::\'-,:|::";;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:'-,::\
............|:::::::::::::::::-,_'~'::::,-'::,':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-':\'-,:\'-,';;';;;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:::'\-,|''
............|::,-~"::::::::::::::"~~":::,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~':\'-,|:"'";;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'¯::'-,:',\|
.........../::/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,„-~"¯\:\'-,|;''-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'--,::\-:\:\|
........./::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;'-';;;;',/;\/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-,|:::\-,:|\|..\|
......./:::::::\:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-~'''("-,\:::|\:|::''
......,':::::::,'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :,-'/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,--'::::::/"~'
.....,'::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,„-~"::|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'::::::::,'::::/
..../:::::::::|:::::::::::::„---~~""¯¯¯::',:::::,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,'::::::::: :: |_,-'
..,'::::::::::::",:,-~"¯::::::::"-,::::::::::|:::/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':::::::|::::,'
./:::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::\:::|¯¯¯"""~-,~,_/::::::::,':::/
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_::|::\: : : : : : |: : \::::::::/:/
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::"-':::\: : : : : : |: : :\::::::\
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::: ::::\: : : : : : \: : : |:::::;;\
::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::::/|\ ,: : : : : : : |::::,'/|::::|
:::::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::::::::::"-,_::::::::::\|:/|,: : : : : : : |::: |'-,/|:::|
::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_::::::::::::::"~-,_:::"-,/|/\::::::::::: \::: \"-/|::|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,__:::::::::::',"-,:::"_|/\:|\: : : : \::\":/|\|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_:::::\:::\:::"~/_:|:|\: : : '-,\::"::,'\
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,_:'-,::\:::::::"-,|:||\,-, : '-,\:::|-'-„
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::,-,'"-:"~,:::::"/_/::|-/\--';;\:::/: ||\-,
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :/...'-,::::::"~„::::"-,/_:|:/\:/|/|/|_/:|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: |......"-,::::::::"~-:::::""~~~"¯:::|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: |........."-,_::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\ .............."~--„_____„„-~~"
Reply Quote
I'm sure Diablo 3 pros get all the girls too...
If someone in fact does make a living off this game they shouldn't be proud. inb4 jealous... no..
no one is jealous
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]