Diablo® III

Alleged 'pro' players.

Just lol guys, you're arguing over one persons misunderstanding of the word professional. I mean do any of you know what a dictionary is? Ever heard of the word Ethymology?

Professio is latin, it basically gives little indication to actually earning any money what so ever. It means to make a declaration.

Before getting to "professional", did none of you think that the fact that professional and professor share the same root has to be for a reason?

You see "professional" doesn't just mean to earn a living for what ever you are doing, it can actually just mean: expert. A Professor is without a doubt an expert in his domain.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it, To use an example given above by one poster: he's a "licensed commercial driver", yet if he has an accident he gets labeled a "professional driver". The language difference here is just that "licensed commercial driver" merely states his profession, "professional driver" on the other hand states it in a way that we understand that it's his profession, and as such he does it a lot so should have a large experience driving, an expert driver if you will. In other words, people revert to the word professional when he has an accident just because they want to underline the fact that he can be considered an expert, not that it's his trade.

So yes, a guy with over 40k elite kills is an expert, therefore one can say without mis-using the word that they are pros.

(Edit just for the perfect example: "charity workers can do their work with huge professionalism.", doesn't mean tey're getting paid for it, just that they are doing it to a high standard, or expertly :p )
Edited by SicNNasty#2862 on 2/6/2013 4:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
The author of this has a point man,

Unless your a streamer and get paid to play, this game means nothing, anyone can get paid and have the best items, like seriously im hearing ya bro doesn't mean anything hey.
FLamers gonna fLame HAters gonna HAte U mirin bra!!!!

Pros
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 06:37 AMPosted by Wtflag
Anyone could earn a dollar and meet that definition so to be honest, I would put "pro" as earning enough to have to pay tax on it.
except you will never have to pay tax on any gold made in d3 no matter how much you made.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 05:46 AMPosted by KillinTime
Anyone could earn a dollar and meet that definition so to be honest, I would put "pro" as earning enough to have to pay tax on it.
except you will never have to pay tax on any gold made in d3 no matter how much you made.

If some posters as described in here want to use the word "Pro" so liberally then it becomes absolutely worthless to the point it doesn't mean anything...the "Latin" definition needs to be modernized.
Reply Quote
If it makes someone feel better about themselves to call themselves a "pro" player, who cares? Its no skin off of my back and is a source of amusement for me. Just because they call themselves a pro, doesn't make them one. Lighten up and learn how to laugh at the self-importance people try to cloak themselves in.
Reply Quote
Yes, professional means paid for. Presumably, the professionals whose paycheck depend on their skills are the very best around hence pro/expert being used interchangeably. Of course, we've all met professionals who suck at their jobs, and amateurs who are absolutley amazing. look at all the bailouts we've had and tell me how good "pro" automakers are?

That being said "pro" as opposed to "professional" is slang, and slang is free to change. The rule of slang is, if everyone thinks thats what the word means, then they're right since slang means whatever the people using it want it to mean. so I wish you were right, I wish people were more clear in their speech, but sadly "pro" now just means "really really good". Its too bad to, cause here in the on-line gaming community we have the korean term "gosu" which would describe things so much better w/o resorting to slang.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 07:47 AMPosted by snowflake
Yes, professional means paid for.

The oxford online dictionary disapproves:

Definition of professional

adjective
1/relating to or belonging to a profession: young professional people
worthy of or appropriate to a professional person; competent, skilful, or assured: his professional expertise their music is both memorable and professional
2/engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as an amateur: a professional boxer
informal, derogatory habitually making a feature of a particular activity or attribute: a professional gloom-monger

The first definition relates to a persons expertise and quality in a given profession. Only the second relates to a professional as opposed to an amateur, so paid as opposed to unpaid.

Now I know American is different than my native English, come on guys, professional doesn't only mean "paid to exercice a profession".

I'm a professional ball buster, but I've yet to find someone willing to make it my profession!
Reply Quote
Peanut has it right, there are no pro D3 players, there are pro digital marketers and pro youtubers/streamers, but these are not pro d3 players because d3 has no competitive platform where players compete against each other.

It's fine to talk about various definitions and origins of the word "professional" but we should really stick to relevant and accepted definitions of the term "pro-gamer".

The closest association to the term "pro-gamer" is "pro sports player" or "pro athlete". The origins of the usage of the term "pro-gamer" are best understood in the context of and in reference to the term "pro athlete". See the term "e-sport".

What makes a pro athlete? Public competition at the highest level on a level playing field against others also competing at the highest level. Not selling shoes, not making commercials, not signing autographs. These are things pros may do for money, but not what makes them pros.

What makes a pro gamer? Competing in tournaments and ladders, not selling electronic goods, not streaming a semi-comedic video. These are things a pro-gamer may do, but not what makes them pro.

We know Peyton Manning is a pro because we have seen him defeat and be defeated by other elite players in games played at the highest level, not because he eats Papa Johns. We know Fruitvendor is a pro starcraft player because we have seen him compete publicly, within a defined set of rules, against other players of high caliber, with a defined condition of victory.

There are no "pro d3 gamers" because there the game has no competitive platform.

@Chillaxin, Do you introduce yourself to stangers as a "Professional Diablo 3 player"?
Reply Quote
View profile
You see "professional" doesn't just mean to earn a living for what ever you are doing, it can actually just mean: expert. A Professor is without a doubt an expert in his domain.

...................So yes, a guy with over 40k elite kills is an expert, therefore one can say without mis-using the word that they are pro's.

Yes, one could say that but they may not be correct. In my field, you can be an expert, but if you dont earn the majority of your income from that work, you are an amateur. On the other hand, I have seen pro's who I would not call expert but they are good at marketing.
Reply Quote
Well, i actually get money for playing diablo 3 ;) Guess im a pro then? How do i get my money? Well, alot of watcher on the stream and the adds

http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkone1311 ;)

http://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo/you-have-died-are-blizzards-server-troubles-permanently-killing-thousands-diablo-3-characters
Edited by DarkOne#2728 on 2/6/2013 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote

...................So yes, a guy with over 40k elite kills is an expert, therefore one can say without mis-using the word that they are pro's.

Yes, one could say that but they may not be correct. In my field, you can be an expert, but if you dont earn the majority of your income from that work, you are an amateur. On the other hand, I have seen pro's who I would not call expert but they are good at marketing.
We're not in your field. Therefore it's only incorrect TO YOU.
Reply Quote
Well, i actually get money for playing diablo 3 ;) Guess im a pro then? How do i get my money? Well, alot of watcher on the stream and the adds

http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkone1311 ;)

http://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo/you-have-died-are-blizzards-server-troubles-permanently-killing-thousands-diablo-3-characters

Your a professional digital marketer...not a professional gamer...
Reply Quote
And in the _gamer_ "field" a pro is someone who competes publicly at the highest level in a competitive venue, d3 has no such venue, thus it has no pro's.
Reply Quote
View profile

We're not in your field. Therefore it's only incorrect TO YOU.

I would say many calling people pro's here are using it as an honorary term. From a financial perspective, they are amateurs.I would think in this situation, a comparison to an athlete would be close. There are many expert amateurs, but they are not pro's.
Edited by GenghisKhan#1476 on 2/6/2013 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
As posted previously, this is the best definition I could find on the web about a pro gamer. To many amateurs on here think they are pro's.

A professional gamer is financially dependent upon gaming, the time spent playing is no longer "leisure" time. Professional gamers are sponsored by large companies and can earn more than $100,000USD a year, in addition to the following that some obtain.[14] In the United States, Major League Gaming has contracted Electronic Sports Gamers with $250,000USD yearly deals.
Edited by pcjunkie#1409 on 2/6/2013 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
well, i got alot of more life time kills than you, and more elite kills. Wounder what you are..

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DarkOne-2728/

edit: oh.. i forgot, i play hardcore You play sc.
Edited by DarkOne#2728 on 2/6/2013 10:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:29 AMPosted by pcjunkie
can earn more than $100,000USD a year

"Can" does not mean "required to"
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 2/6/2013 10:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Chillaxin

LOL...way to pick apart one little section...either way you don't qualify.
Reply Quote
I can't believe this thread is still alive :D

When someone says "pro!" they refer to an exceptional skill level, or a well-executed manuever. It's an expression.

When someone says, "I'd give my left arm for that sword!" they don't mean they would literally hack off their left arm. And when someone sees a nice WH, and says, "B###hin Witchin!" they don't see a female dog, or an unpleasant woman. And when someone gets a nice drop and says, "OMG!!! Check this out!" they may actually subscribe to an Abrahamic religion, and even if they are, they probably are not asking God to look at their drop.
Edited by Talys#1767 on 2/6/2013 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Chillaxin

The compensation or lack of compensation is not germane to what makes a pro gamer. It is the competition. Are most pro gamers compensated? Yes. Is it possible to regard an individual who competes without compensation as a pro gamer? Unlikely, but yes.

Is it possible for a marketeer of digital goods to be a pro gamer? Yes. Does being a successful marketeer of digital goods make you a pro gamer? No.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]