Diablo® III

Monk Spreadsheet Now Available!

The fabled spreadsheet is no longer just a fable! You can see me in-game for a copy, or you can download it from this URL, courtesy of my helpful fellow Western New Yorker, KamelJabber:

http://tinyurl.com/bdptnt9

This is an Excel spreadsheet, not a Google doc. You will need to enable macros to make full use of its functionality. But I'm reasonably certain you'll be glad you did.

I'm going to reserve the next post for the instructions in their current state. These aren't the "final final" instructions, but they should get you through the document feeling like you know what to do and what you ought to do next.
Edited by Vrkhyz#1472 on 2/5/2013 4:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
You can get a rough idea of what to do by looking at this thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415156516

These instructions are slightly dated, but they should be a good starting point. You can also check out some instructions I wrote for comparing sets of gear and using the "test" columns on the DPS worksheet to make quick comparisons:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811022081?page=2#36

If you have any questions, just ask.

Currently, column E on the DPS worksheet is a scratchpad for off-the-cuff 1.0.6 calculations, and column I is a similar feature for the PTR.

Regarding formulas, I have put very light lock protection on the sheet (no password required; you can select but cannot change locked cells). This means that you can unlock the individual sheets if you want to play around with the formulas but that you can lose the formulas if you're not careful. The basic rule of thumb:

If you want to know whether you should enter data in a cell, click on it. If you see a formula, don't enter anything. If you see a tooltip, follow the instructions.

The on-click tooltips are in every data entry cell in the sheet EXCEPT the drop-down fields on the Armor worksheet.

So that's pretty much it! Here's the basic flow:

1. Enter all the information in column C of the Character Sheet worksheet, except for the Attributes section.

2. Go to the Weapons worksheet, and use columns G through N to enter the data from your weapon tooltips.

3. Select a MH weapon and an OH weapon from the drop-down fields in cells D3 and E3.

4. Go to the individual armor worksheets ("Helms," "Boots," etc.), and use columns F through O to enter the data for your individual armor pieces. (Note: This is not what the Armor worksheet is for.)

5. Select a piece of armor in each worksheet, just like you did in step 3 for your weapons.

6. Use the Armor worksheet to mix and match your gear. Anything that isn't part of your normal gear set (i.e., that doesn't match the selections on the individual sheets) will be shaded light brown so you can tell that you changed it.

7. To commit your changes to the individual worksheets, click the Copy to Worksheets button. To discard your changes and load your original gear selection, click the Copy from Worksheets button.

8. When you're finished with your armor selections, go to the DPS tab. A lot of your character's information will already be loaded into column C (for the live server) and column G (for the PTR).

9. Use cells C1, C2, and C3 to select a primary generator. For best results, um, stick with Thunderclap, as I haven't coded much of anything other than Quickening yet.

10. Select your SW snapshot weapon from cell C27. Your options are Main Hand, which indicates that you always ready the MH weapon; Off Hand, which you can probably figure out; and Random, which indicates that you don't ever bother looking.

11. Enter the sum of your additive damage buffs in the Other damage buffs (total %) field (cell C35). This will soon be programmed to load Blazing Wrath, Overawe, etc., but it's a manual field for now.

12. If you are using a WKL, enter the lightning buff in cell C36.

13. Your paper DPS will appear in cell C44, and your EDPS will appear in cell C50. To change the number of targets, use cell C18.

14. If you're playing around with the 1.0.6 or PTR scratchpad columns, use rows 24 to 26 to enter MH/OH attack speeds. Do not include IAS on your gear, but include anything that's on the weapons, plus the Enchantress bonus if you're using that. And Blazing Wrath's +0.05 APS per stack, if you're using that.

15. Once that is done, go to the Snapshot worksheet. Your current profile will appear in row 3.

16. To copy your current character's stats to row 5, click the Copy Snapshot button.

17. To copy and compare other stats/setups, make the desired changes elsewhere, come back to the Snapshot worksheet, and click the Copy Snapshot button.

And that should do it! Don't mess around too much with any of the arrays beyond the Shields worksheet. (They're currently hidden.) If something doesn't seem to be working as expected, make sure you've entered the correct data; if something still doesn't look right, let me know. (A note about socketed weapons: just pretend the socket bonus is part of the weapon's affixes. For example, a 68% CHD weapon with a 70% emerald should be recorded as a 138% CHD weapon.)

Enjoy! I'll be using this thread to answer any questions asked here, or any FAQs I receive via e-mail or in-game.

Thank you all for your patience.
Edited by Vrkhyz#1472 on 2/7/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Please note that I will not be making constant changes to the public version of the spreadsheet. The next public version will include whatever decision Blizzard makes on weapon-socketed rubies, some nice formatting for the DPS and Snapshot worksheets, and on-click tooltips for the drop-down cells in the Armor worksheet.
Reply Quote
I don't have Excel... Will this work properly in Works Spreadsheet ya think?

ETA: Nope, tried it and it crashed LOL Gave me several different errors and then boom.
Edited by Sinafae#1771 on 2/4/2013 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Apologies to those of you who don't have Microsoft Office. For those who do, the sheet is currently loaded with my monk's gear and build, which, if nothing else, will help you figure out what goes where and how to use the sheet.
Reply Quote
Bump for new title.
Reply Quote
wow, my head exploded in sheer amazement at that labyrinth,
but I was like a minotaur lost in the maze and couldn't find my way out.
and erm,
it's read-only, I can't enter anything except the columns with selections. @_@
Reply Quote
Sweet thx for the effort I hope to make good use of this....
Reply Quote
Sorry, I just realized that I needed to tweak the protection on the DPS and Snapshot worksheets. Until I can post a new copy, just do this:

1. Click the Snapshot worksheet.
2. Click the Review tab on the Ribbon.
3. Click the Unprotect Sheet button.
4. Click the DPS worksheet.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3.

The rest of the sheet should work fine; only the buttons on those sheets should result in errors. Once you follow those five steps, all should be well.

KamelJabber, I'll send you a new file this morning from my work account when I have the permissions set right. Please repost it at your convenience and then post an update to this thread. Thanks!
Reply Quote
I will also be fleshing out the instructions today.
Reply Quote
Wow, just took a quick look through the sheet, major props! Looking forward to getting home and being able to input my toons!

Big big kudos for this Meisterwerk!
Reply Quote
View profile
Just downloaded it....I know what I'll be doing at work today!
Reply Quote
Woohoo!
Reply Quote
View profile
i'll be watching my email...

Vrk, i apologize for posting my side project with your spreadsheet here. I can delete this post if you want. I made a quick unfinished prototype of Vrk's spreadsheet auto loading the data directly from your character. From the point I have it in the video, I wanted to weigh out the work involved to finish it vs. the interest. Please review:

I recorded it under a high resolution, so you will have to watch it in full screen and at least 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qTiTmz6gw
lower quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAdvz8qxEE
Edited by KamelJabber#1103 on 2/5/2013 7:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Tried it with LibreOffice (don't have Office). No crashes or anything, but I was getting a LOT of "NAME?" or whatever...?
Reply Quote
View profile
02/05/2013 07:25 AMPosted by Silver32
Tried it with LibreOffice (don't have Office). No crashes or anything, but I was getting a LOT of "NAME?" or whatever...?

Most likely, the named region feature used in MS Excel is not supported in LibreOffice
Reply Quote
View profile
i'll be watching my email...

Vrk, i apologize for posting my side project with your spreadsheet here. I can delete this post if you want. I made a quick unfinished prototype of Vrk's spreadsheet auto loading the data directly from your character. From the point I have it in the video, I wanted to weigh out the work involved to finish it vs. the interest. Please review:

I recorded it under a high resolution, so you will have to watch it in full screen and at least 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qTiTmz6gw
lower quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAdvz8qxEE

Yeah that's kinda awesome. Nice addition to V's comprehensive and amazing spreadsheet. Quality work as usual!
Reply Quote
I sent the updated file to KJ. It should correct any protection errors in the original sheet, which I didn't test before releasing. (I never work on a protected file, of course!) The new file, which should be available some time today, includes on-click tooltips for some, but not all, of the data entry cells in the individual armor worksheets. If you follow the instructions in the second post in this thread, you should be fine. I'll add more on-click tooltips over time, but they're not top priority right now. The Weapons worksheet has a full suite of 'em, and using that sheet should help you understand how to use the Helms sheet, the Rings sheet, and the others.
Reply Quote
Vrk, i apologize for posting my side project with your spreadsheet here. I can delete this post if you want.

Why would I want you to do that? The loading feature is awesome. I only wonder how the renaming of the ranges will intersect with providing space for users to add other items manually, but we can figure something out later if it comes to that.
Reply Quote
So awesome, excellent work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]