Diablo® III

Shift+Right click to swap gear needed

I accidentally swapped a piece of gear while ID'ing some items today. I noticed so no big deal. But again why is it right click for swapping gear and selling gear and ID'ing gear? Honestly this happens all the time to me. I so far have always noticed it. But with all the past forum posts I have seen obviously others have not.

So, I know this has been mentioned before.

Blizz should change it so that it is shift+right or space+right click to swap gear. How hard is that? I believe it was this way in D2 LoD. Maybe it was shift+right click to sell, I can't really recall at the moment but the point is that it wasn't the same action to do both as I recall. Or maybe it was just that you didn't sit there ID'ing all your stuff by right clicking and then accidentally swap a piece, because Cain was still alive and he ID'd everything for you.

I'd have put this in the 1.0.7 Q&A but it really isn't relevant to 1.0.7 so I know it would have just been ignored.

Anyone else for a shift+right click to swap gear?
Reply Quote
View profile
02/05/2013 10:27 AMPosted by AxeLord

Little tip...I often think about posting a brand new thread about something that's already been beaten to death...then I think..."ya know what? I'm gonna let the groundswell of support about this speak for itself."

So, why you insisted on forging ahead with adding your voice to the list, and defending this sentiment, when there are far bigger issues to fight for, really confuses me. Especially since you, like me, have unequipped items and noticed your error before. See, we've gotten around having to beg for Blizzard to change this. Others haven't. They need to be walked by the hand through life because, even though they know ID/equip/sell are all the same ONE button, they still insist on blasting through their ID process so fast, they not only fail to notice they've mistakenly equipped something they didn't intend to, they also vend so fast that they sell items that cost hundreds of millions of gold! Sometimes, REAL MONEY!

If people who play this game want to feel like the <1% of adults that flip precious goods like they're priceless antiques as a method of "steady income," then those "adults" should also act like REAL LIFE adults and treat their items like they're real.

Granted, in the ToU regarding the AH, people who buy "loot" with in-game gold don't actually own those items, Blizzard still does...so technically, they're paying in-game gold to kinda rent "loot" from them. Still, it FEELS like its theirs, so they should be responsible and take care of their items.

Long story short...if they changed this, I'd learn the new keys to use for what I want to do. But this is wildly unnecessary. People buy stuff, or pretend to buy stuff, they should treat said stuff with care. If they can't go slow enough to properly care for their items, they don't deserve to have them.
Reply Quote

Little tip...I often think about posting a brand new thread about something that's already been beaten to death...then I think..."ya know what? I'm gonna let the groundswell of support about this speak for itself."

So, why you insisted on forging ahead with adding your voice to the list, and defending this sentiment, when there are far bigger issues to fight for, really confuses me. Especially since you, like me, have unequipped items and noticed your error before. See, we've gotten around having to beg for Blizzard to change this. Others haven't. They need to be walked by the hand through life because, even though they know ID/equip/sell are all the same ONE button, they still insist on blasting through their ID process so fast, they not only fail to notice they've mistakenly equipped something they didn't intend to, they also vend so fast that they sell items that cost hundreds of millions of gold! Sometimes, REAL MONEY!

If people who play this game want to feel like the <1% of adults that flip precious goods like they're priceless antiques as a method of "steady income," then those "adults" should also act like REAL LIFE adults and treat their items like they're real.

Granted, in the ToU regarding the AH, people who buy "loot" with in-game gold don't actually own those items, Blizzard still does...so technically, they're paying in-game gold to kinda rent "loot" from them. Still, it FEELS like its theirs, so they should be responsible and take care of their items.

Long story short...if they changed this, I'd learn the new keys to use for what I want to do. But this is wildly unnecessary. People buy stuff, or pretend to buy stuff, they should treat said stuff with care. If they can't go slow enough to properly care for their items, they don't deserve to have them.

It never happened to me once in D2. So I guess D2 was better in this respect.

It's poorly designed, sloppy at best, and it wastes time where I am thking oh ooops I switched that and then have to spend my time switching it back. And yes it should be changed.
Edited by AxeLord#1992 on 2/6/2013 5:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
^^
Cos in D2, you had cain to ID everything. That's all D3 needs... someone to identify all. Then this accidental item swap problem will go away on its own. :)
Reply Quote
^^
Cos in D2, you had cain to ID everything. That's all D3 needs... someone to identify all. Then this accidental item swap problem will go away on its own. :)

+1
Reply Quote
Alternatively, you could pay more attention to what you're selling.

How does your gear even end up in your inventory anyway, outside of abusing snapshots?
Reply Quote
Alternatively, you could pay more attention to what you're selling.

How does your gear even end up in your inventory anyway, outside of abusing snapshots?

lol

This might be the most ignorant statement I've ever read on the forums.
I guess in this players mind there's no such thing as human error.
You probably think people put 100% focus into the game at all times without distraction.

It would be a small, non-intrusive fix to add this as an option in the settings.
Why immediately assume it's only requested by exploiters?
Reply Quote

lol

You probably think people put 100% focus into the game at all times without distraction.

It would be a small, non-intrusive fix to add this as an option in the settings.

If you don't have the attention span of a goldfish, you wouldn't be putting your gear into your inventory on accident. I mean, you people complain about Blizzard dumbing the game down, then you turn around and want them to hold your freakin' hand. Make up your mind, eh?
Reply Quote

lol

If you don't have the attention span of a goldfish, you wouldn't be putting your gear into your inventory on accident. I mean, you people complain about Blizzard dumbing the game down, then you turn around and want them to hold your freakin' hand. Make up your mind, eh?

I've already made up my mind.
Make the game for the 'goldfish' as you put it. Simplify it. Dumb it down.
I'd rather have features rather than lack of options.

Note: I've never accidentally sold my gear or missed zeroes in the AH/trade window.
I simply see the value in convenience based options.
Reply Quote

lol

It's not really about dumbing anything down and that is not even what people are talking about when they say that.. It's about the design of the game being better so we can hack and slash more instead of going.. oh ooops I just switched that accidentally or worse for some not seeing it. When there is a very easy method to eliminate the accident why would anyone be in favor of the accident? Are you that lazy that if you were a dev you couldn't type up a few lines of code and insert it multiple times to improve something that clearly detracts from gameplay for multiple people?

And in fact it isn't even an accident on the part of the user all the time. Sometimes the game doesn't actually register a mouse click. Of course on the other hand maybe we wouldn't need to click so fast if everyone wasn't running through the maps like the 100m dash at the olympics and we needed to hurry up to get back to them before they finished a map in a straight line ignoring 50% of the map.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 08:31 AMPosted by AxeLord
Are you that lazy that if you were a dev you couldn't type up a few lines of code and insert it multiple times to improve something that clearly detracts from gameplay for multiple people?

Looks like we have an armchair developer over here.

You don't know what it requires to add the functionality you're referring to into the game, don't pretend like it's as easy as adding a few lines of code.

Sometimes the game doesn't actually register a mouse click.

What? Do you play with 1500 latency or something?

Of course on the other hand maybe we wouldn't need to click so fast if everyone wasn't running through the maps like the 100m dash at the olympics and we needed to hurry up to get back to them before they finished a map in a straight line ignoring 50% of the map.

What does this part even have to do with the topic? So because you have to click a lot to make your way through the map you somehow swap your gear? What are you even talking about?
Reply Quote
Check your DPS before you begin ID'ing.

Check your DPS afterwards.

Are they the same? Good. Go sell your vendor trash.
Reply Quote

Have you had Vile Wards before ?
Reply Quote
+1 OP.

Everyone talks about gear lock, etc. when the fix would be soooo simple. Just let us remap auto equip from right click to something else (personally, I would just turn it off). Problem solved.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 2/6/2013 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

Have you? I mean, you're level 1 and only have one character. Clearly you've never even played this game before and have no idea what you're talking about.

Go hide behind your alts elsewhere.
Reply Quote
Have you? I mean, you're level 1 and only have one character. Clearly you've never even played this game before and have no idea what you're talking about.

Go hide behind your alts elsewhere.

I know, it is hard to imagine, but there is actually more than one D3 server.
Reply Quote

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 11:44 PMPosted by superfiend
I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

If you only look for DPS you may still accidentally swap some of the non-DPS pieces. I thought it was obvious.
Reply Quote

What about when your buff wears off in the middle? Oh ya, you just spent more time trying to figure it out when that happens.

OP still valid.. it could be improved upon and there is no reason not to.
Reply Quote
Of course on the other hand maybe we wouldn't need to click so fast if everyone wasn't running through the maps like the 100m dash at the olympics and we needed to hurry up to get back to them before they finished a map in a straight line ignoring 50% of the map.

[/quote]What does this part even have to do with the topic? So because you have to click a lot to make your way through the map you somehow swap your gear? What are you even talking about?[/quote]
That's very self explanitory, but I'll go ahead anyway and explain further with doubts. It means... People click really fast because they are trying to get back to the gameplay action of killing monsters and picking up loot. But, In addition to that, people try to click even faster because other people are running thru the maps so fast that if they click slower then they will miss half of the drops because they are not there because they took to long. Often I've seen 10 seconds is to long as if I get full and go unload and I take 15 seconds when I get back they are already halfway thru the map and thereby drops have been missed.

So on one hand people say slow down and pay attention but on the other you have to speed up to keep up with other people flying thru the maps. Bottom line is this. We don''t want to slow down and miss drops and we don't want to be going fast and accidentally switch gear. You can't have it both ways, UNLESS 'shift'+ 'right click' was added as the function to switch gear instead of just 'right click'.

So again.. 'shift'+'right click' is needed and would be an improvement to the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]