Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

I wonder how many sold after the first month

Memory's a bit hazy, but I think it was like 6 million. ~3 million the first week.

6 million were sold during the first week.
Reply Quote
#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

Pretty good for a dying game. See you all at the expac!

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

What we all bought was the promise behind a Blizzard product, mixed with the awesomeness of the Diablo franchise, greatly flavored with the hope of something even better than D2!

That is what sold 12M copies!

What we got was Diablo 3. Ugh.
Reply Quote
So 10 million bots and 1 million spammers, 500,000 Asian gold farmers, 250,000 US and 250,000 EU players?
Reply Quote
Every single one of those sales is because of Diablo 2 and past Blizzard success, they could have released Pong and called in D3 and gotten those sales.

You can only coast on past glory so long. Reputations are difficult to build and easy to destroy.

D3 = huge black eye for Blizzard's reputation

Not a financial failure, but a failure in every other sense.
Reply Quote

ignorance is bliss.

People bought diablo 3 out of blind faith because diablo 2 was good

Diablo 3 would not be anywhere near 12 million if it was marketed as a different title

But most copies sold after all these meta critic and amazon babies so I don't see anything to support your statement.

Please explain why 60% of the original player base has quit then
Reply Quote
there won't be an xpac
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Deadlysynz
there won't be an xpac

There will be and it will sell like 2-3 million copies or something pathetic by Blizzard's standards.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 03:40 PMPosted by Zaqwert
there won't be an xpac

There will be and it will sell like 2-3 million copies or something pathetic by Blizzard's standards.

I can see that, mostly botters will be the majority of the sales
Reply Quote

Yeah, they fool everyone in the process of that 12 Million copies.

Now the only thing that can save this game is the EXPANSION.
Do it wrong, and Diablo 3 is in eternal disgrace.
Reply Quote
But Blizzard is going full circle:

A passionate bunch of people making games for love then money.
Now a company that makes games for pure profit and shareholder greed.

Diablo 4 will never happen and so you can kiss that revenue stream goodbye

WOW is dying to an ever expanding market of MMO's, everytime I go into my local superstore nobody has bought a copy of MOP and the price is dropping almost weekly to try and get more players back.

COD is their only performing game and even players can see releasing the same thing every year can't go on.

My advice:
Get a downbet on blizzard because thats' where their profits are heading.

Oh and this 12 million selling game won 0 awards in 2012, its didn't even make the shortlist for gamespot, thats what the playerbase thinks!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

I wonder how many sold after the first month

If I remember correctly, they sold 7 million at launch, so probably 4-5 million more in the following months.

That's impressive considering how slammed D3 has been by reviews.

02/07/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Ison88

Do you have hard facts to back this up or is it based upon your friends list?
Edited by Bird#1227 on 2/7/2013 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=buy%20diablo%2C%20buy%20skyrim%2C%20buy%20black%20ops&date=10%2F2011%2017m&cmpt=q

(Skyrim's there so you can see what a major release looks like when it goes well. Black ops is there so that you can see why the atvi financials look ok.)
Edited by TaiKung#1986 on 2/7/2013 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 01:59 PMPosted by SeeknDestroy
Well botters and multiboxers sure are inflating sales, especially when they immediatly buy more accounts after being banned

In a sense those can be considered legitimate sales. The logic is as follows:

If the game isn't worth playing -->
no one would buy gold -->
gold will be worthless (in terms of USD) -->
botters will not bot -->
botters will not get ban -->
botters will not need new accounts

In other words, the cash must ultimately come from the player base. If the player base is dead, the cash automatically drys up. If a botter has the cash to buy a D3 account, it must ultimately have came from a person willing to pay real money to "enhance" his game experience.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 2/7/2013 4:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah Diablo 3 is an epic success.
Just look at all the positive feedback from the community.
This game is also mega for profit.
A personal friend of mine has made over 75k (EU... so that means it is worth more then US for those of you that don't know) from this game and he is still going strong.
He bought a really nice car.
It is crazy though as he really burns through the accounts.
Last time I saw him he said he had purchased over 150 copies... not all at once, just so far and a lot of them were 2nd hand... go figure.
His set up is impressive I must say.
He really loves the game... hardly ever plays it but always talks about it whenever we cross paths during our normal jobs.
On to it dude... a true Blizz fan.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=buy%20diablo%2C%20buy%20skyrim%2C%20buy%20black%20ops&date=10%2F2011%2017m&cmpt=q

(Skyrim's there so you can see what a major release looks like when it goes well. Black ops is there so that you can see why the atvi financials look ok.)

Are you truly comparing Skyrim internet searches to Diablo 3's? A traditional, sandboxy RPG with a ton of side quests and rep grinds (and no game manual included in the boxed copy) to a four act hack and slash?

Dude, that's just plain silly.
Reply Quote
By may 23rd they had sold 7.7 million copies.. How many multibox and bots banned and rebanned repurchase. How many real players still play. How many are gold bots?

Blizzard made and are still making tons of cash from the game and yet act like they have no resources to fix it properly or even provide decent support for game issues.

The sad state of publicly traded gaming companies. It's got nothing to do with the game... Only how much money they can get from players.
Reply Quote
D3 most probably broke the all-time record in ratio of players that bought the games vs. players that still play after 6 months.
Reply Quote

Are you truly comparing Skyrim internet searches to Diablo 3's? A traditional, sandboxy RPG with a ton of side quests and rep grinds (and no game manual included in the boxed copy) to a four act hack and slash?

Dude, that's just plain silly.

If you'd care to make a counter case, I'd be pleased to look at it. Trying to overcome my case by calling it "silly," however, is silly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]