Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

i enjoy playing either dead or dying games i still play D3 and Star Wars the old republic even though all my friends went back to wow i still play and they are all fun for me
Reply Quote
I played D1 until D2 released, and that until WoW came out. I played that till WOTLK. D3 was a no brainer auto buy on release. And the last Blizzard game I will buy sight unseen.
I remember loading Diablo the first time, hopping onto BNet and thinking,"This is awesome, how can a company afford to provide this service for free? This company rocks and I love this game!" That company no longer exists, D3 is proof of that.
Reply Quote
12 million sold because of the legacy that D1 and D2 left behind. Tell me, out of those 12 million how many are playing now? Let alone that it hasn't even been a year yet?
Reply Quote
- Of those 12 million copies, I wonder how many of them are bots?
- I wonder how many accounts 1 person bought or controls?
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Priest
The initial sales of D3 were based of the success of D2 and other blizzard titles.
Most of us drank the koolaid and pre-ordered the first day.
So from a financial stand point they did well, however they still havent released all the content that they promised prelaunch and I haven't met too many people that thought the game was very remarkable at all.

I come back here from time to time just to check for changes, not because I loved the game, because I've always bought blizzard games because they use to release quality games, and this was the first one I felt like was a money grab.
Reply Quote
#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

Pretty good for a dying game. See you all at the expac!

Considering the huge chunk of botters that were banned......
Reply Quote
Just because a game sells well on the strength of its predecessor, does not make the game good, or reflect on stating the game is good, simply cause look at the sales.

What i would like to see is how many of those 12 million copies sold as a preorder or on the first week, and how did sales go for the next 6 months.

That would show alot more than simply stating sold 12 million copies, greatest game ever blurb.
Reply Quote
It's nice, but it's no Path of Exile
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:06 PMPosted by xanzul
Just goes to show the remarkable short-term financial success you can acieve when you take the fun out of making games. Congratz Bob K

1. That quote was taken out of context and you damn well know it.

2. Activision plays no part in how Blizzard develops, markets and supports their games.

Below is the question which prompted Kotick's response and his full answer, verbatim from the archived conference audio.

Jeetil Patel, Deutsche Bank Securities - Analyst
"What do you think the retailers' willingness these days is to hold inventory on the video game side? Are they building positions today or are they still very reluctant and very careful of how they are buying?"

Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard, Inc. - President and CEO
"I don't think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

1. So, when the quote is put in context, it appears just as bad as when it's "out" of context, if not worse.

2. Can you at least educate yourself in the subject before you talk about stuff you don't know? In this day and age, checking stuff like this is only a google search away - unbelievable. Activision's been gradually making more experiments with Blizzard's products. Just to give you an exact quote from Bobby Kotick himself to debunk this misinformation you're spreading:
How much autonomy is Blizzard going to retain – and is there scope to use Activison and Vivendi’s licences within that division?

Blizzard has established the most successful business in all of video games. It’s not like we need to go there and fix something. Blizzard will continue to operate as they have done in the past – fairly independently.
They have a top notch management and development team and we have a very high degree of confidence that they know how to run the business and a track record to prove it. In addition, they have an extraordinarily strong product pipeline, with Starcraft, Wrath of the Litch King and Diablo 3.
It’s tremendous, and it would be a big mistake for us to distract them with new ideas. But there are some opportunities we will be exploring, especially relating to their expertise in Asia. If you consider that Guitar Hero is not in Asia yet and that the only way to create a business there is figuring out ways to work in internet cafes, etc., we hope to benefit from their expertise.

So, it's evident that your claim they play no part is, in fact, wrong, otherwise statements like, "some opportunities we will be exploring," and "fairly independently" would not be used.

I've included a link below which lists a lot of the development and history.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252
Reply Quote

hate too burst your bubble, but diablo 3 was actually voted as one of the most disappointing games of 2012.

source:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/03/the-most-disappointing-games-of-2012/

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-5-most-disappointing-games-of-2012

and 12 million copies is a nice number, however, nobody know the number of licenses bought by botters.
Reply Quote
"For the calendar year, Blizzard Entertainment had two top-10 PC games in North
America and Europe. Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PCgame sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December
31, 2012, and World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria® was the #3 best-selling PC game
at retail.⁵"
Botters and good games always come together. If it wouldn't be a great game, it wouldn't have raised interest for trading, and it wouldn't have had any botters/streamers/flippers/multiboxing, etc. So suck it up, Diablo 2 which everyone agrees it was a great game, had these also. These things are attracted by good money which is attracted by good games. It is impossible to have 12M sold copies (#1 best selling PC game) if the game was bad, what is wrong with your logic?
Reply Quote
hate too burst your bubble, but diablo 3 was actually voted as one of the most disappointing games of 2012.

source:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/03/the-most-disappointing-games-of-2012/

All big games are voted there, except for noname ones, which nobody had any expectations from them.

look, there is also Assassin's Creed 3. All my friends play Assassin's Creed 3... and they say it is awesome...
Reply Quote
So, let me check this - and correct me if I'm wrong:
May 15, 2012:
Diablo III was the fastest selling game of all, selling 3.5 Million copies in twenty four hours. That a hell of an achievement, frankly.
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/05/23/diablo-3-is-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time/

November 8, 2012:
Diablo III sells 10 million copies total. Also a hell of an achievement.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377434/diablo-3-tops-10-million-sales/

February 8, 2013:
Diablo III sells 12 million copies total. Quite a milestone, really.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390025/diablo-iii-passes-12-million-sales-worldwide/

So, excluding day one sales, Diablo III sold 7 million additional copies in 6 months, and then 2 million in 3 months. During this time, the game became available in twice as many regions as at launch, keeping sales momentum.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

I'm curious - according to the sources available, Asia is Diablo III's single biggest market by far. How many botters and profiteers pushed those numbers, as the game has had one of the most intense backlashes on the internet since Firefly was cancelled?
Reply Quote
"For the calendar year, Blizzard Entertainment had two top-10 PC games in North
America and Europe. Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PCgame sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December
31, 2012, and World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria® was the #3 best-selling PC game
at retail.⁵"
Botters and good games always come together. If it wouldn't be a great game, it wouldn't have raised interest for trading, and it wouldn't have had any botters/streamers/flippers/multiboxing, etc. So suck it up, Diablo 2 which everyone agrees it was a great game, had these also. These things are attracted by good money which is attracted by good games. It is impossible to have 12M sold copies (#1 best selling PC game) if the game was bad, what is wrong with your logic?

it's impossible to have 12m sold copies if the game was bad you say?

nothing is wrong with my logic, and since it's backed up by one of the most, if not the most respected, sites, namely forbes, i'd think that this is pretty accurate.

the only reason it sold so many copies is because all the people who knew and loved the diablo series were begging for a new one. so basically is only sold that many copies because of the name.

want proof that this is actually a large part of the truth?

check out the announcement video in 2008:

(take special note how the crowd reacts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQk_CT7fY9E

here's a qoute from wikipedia concerning diablo 2, which states that in 2008 (just after the announcement of D3) the diablo battlechest was the top selling pc game that year. and that too this day 11 million people still play it.

Reception
[hide] Reception
Aggregate scores
Aggregator Score
GameRankings 88.58%[31] (PC)
83.00%[32] (Mac)
Metacritic 88[33] (PC)
Review scores
Publication Score
GameSpot 8.5/10.0[34]
GameSpy 86/100[5]
IGN 8.3/10.0[35]
Awards
Entity Award
Guinness Book of World Records Fastest Selling Computer Game Ever Sold (2000)[36]
Interactive Achievement Awards Computer Game of the Year (2001)[37]
Interactive Achievement Awards Computer Role Playing Game of the Year (2001)[37]
Interactive Achievement Awards Game of the Year (2001)[37]
PC Gamer #16 "50 Best Games of All Time" (2005)[38]
PC Gamer #82 "Top 100 Games" (2007)[39]
Computer and Video Games #25 "The 101 Best PC Games Ever" (2005)[40]
GamePro #11 "The 32 Best PC Games" (2008)[41]
Destructoid #7 "Top Video Games of the Decade" (2009)[42]

Diablo II had a positive reception. The PC versions of the game achieved an overall score of 88 on Metacritic and 88.58% at GameRankings.[33][31] The Mac version achieved 83.00% on Game Rankings.[32] Gamespy awarded the game an 86 out of 100,[5] IGN awarded the game an 8.3 out of 10,[35] and GameSpot awarded the game an 8.5 out of 10[43] along with earning the 2000 runner-up Reader's Choice Award for role-playing game of the year.[34] It was awarded a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records 2000 edition for being the fastest selling computer game ever sold, with more than 1 million units sold in the first two weeks of availability.[36] Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm have since surpassed Diablo II's record to become fastest-selling computer games ever at their times of release, according to Blizzard.[44][45] As of August 29, 2001, Diablo II has sold 4 million copies worldwide.[37] The game has received the "Computer Game of the Year", "Computer Role Playing Game of the Year", and "Game of the Year" awards from the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences at the 2001 Interactive Achievement Awards.[37]

Copies of Diablo: Battle Chest continue to be sold in retail stores, appearing on the NPD Group's top 10 PC games sales list as recently as 2010.[46] Even more remarkably, the Diablo: Battle Chest was the 19th best selling PC game of 2008[47] – a full seven years after the game's initial release – and 11 million users still play Diablo II and StarCraft over Battle.net.[48]

and these 11 million players are only the players that play over battle.net, not counting the players who play offline.

so the actual number is probably a lot higher then 11 million and even higher then 12.
all these people, all of which are hardcore diablo fans wanted the new game, so that accounts for your sales.

even if only those 11 million player bought a copy, which leaves 1 million copies unaccounted for, a lot of hackers, botters etc knew that this game would drop a virtual bombshell, and stocked up on multiple copies, and off course the goldselling websites who need account too distribute the gold ingame.
Edited by CLFX#2502 on 2/8/2013 1:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

source:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-5-most-disappointing-games-of-2012

and 12 million copies is a nice number, however, nobody know the number of licenses bought by botters.

Wow. I just read those articles. Then I googled "diablo 3 game of the year". There were some results, but compare FORBES to shillforhire.net... 12 Million copies? Lance Armstrong won 7 tour de france's. Barry bonds hit 70-some home runs. Roger Clemens pitched a lot of great games. Manti Te'o had an amazing girlfriend. Bernie Madoff made a lot of people a lot of money for a long time....
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 01:55 PMPosted by unaligned1
Now, does that statistic include banned or returned copies?

Sold copies are sold ofc :) 3 mil bots accounts banned - they brough another 3 mil copies, because they get money back from botting like in no time, this is still a big profit in future for them.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Icon0clast
12 million in all of 2012? They sold 10 million in 4 months, 3.5 million in the first 24 hours and 6.3 million in the first week, this doesn't look good because that's a sharp decline.

It doesn't look good to you because you are ignorant. The vast majority of video games sales are front loaded with a steep decline after the first month. D3 has managed to sell 12m copies, with 2m sold many months after launch. That is an incredible accomplishment. No bad game can sell 12m. That is impossible in this day and age.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
So? 12 million sales means nothing. It does not mean d3 was a success, it means d3 was a success in riding on top of Diablo 2's success.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]