Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

I want the expansion to sell more copies than the base game ever did. I want people to buy 3 copies of the expansion, or for people who don't even have D3 to pay for the expansion.

Why?

Because I want you people to thrash, rage, and whinge about it.
Reply Quote
What the hell are you on." People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3".Newsflash,Diablo 2 was the defining reason Diablo 3 sold so well.

Yes it was part of the reason, but not the only reason as some would like to portrait. i just gave you my example from my friends who bought D3, only 1 of them played D2 before. And from the 47 people that i added to my friends list in D3, only about 5 of them played D2 before, and almost nobody knew what a shako is.

I have to agree with you on this one. Before D3 I hadn't even heard of the Diablo franchise. I saw a couple ads and the game seemed cool. I waited for the day 1 reviews and they were positive so I bought the game. I honestly expected to only beat it inferno once and move on but here I am still enjoying it after 500+ hours. The same is true for my friends that bought the game too.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/07/2013 02:10 PMPosted by ruthere
Game still sucks!!

You played it yesterday.

/facepalm
Reply Quote
D3 success in terms of sales until now:

1. Blizzard reputation
2. Excellent marketing started back in 2010 with Blizzcon
3. Diablo 1 & 2
4. RMAH
5. Remember D3 price dropped to 10$ at ToysRus?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794231671
6. Kids love it
7.Women love it(chick Diablo)
8. Jay Wilson talking about how good it is

Did I miss something?

Now seeing those points positive or negative depends on you. For me, if I'm a kid, I would play it all day cuz it's super fun with all the animations. But because I'm a big D2 player, forget it, it's not gonna make it to my top 100, even if I dont even have a top 10....
Reply Quote
From what I've read in the last few months, it seams the road ahead for blizzard is not going to be a good one. Activision is pushing blizzard to release games on schedule(not something they've been known for in the past, and the quality of released titles has shown the change). There have also been rumors that activision is pushing for blizzard to release 2 wow expansions per year,

There going to drive away the fan base that blizzard created and try to suck every penny out of them in the process, resulting in one of the most successful gaming companies going under due to bad upper level management(who is only looking at short term profits).

I think if blizzard could have managed to be an independent company, and not under the management of some corporation, we would all be experiencing a better game, and overall a better relationship with blizzard in general.

*edit* we might still be waiting on the game to be released, but it would have been released "when its ready", instead of when its scheduled to be released and we'll fix it later.
Edited by Neoathlon#1928 on 2/8/2013 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:56 AMPosted by Neoathlon
I think if blizzard could have managed to be an independent company, and not under the management of some corporation, we would all be experiencing a better game, and overall a better relationship with blizzard in general.

I totally agree, since Blizzard sold out in 1994 they just haven't released any good games and have only been looking to make profits. What a shame.
Reply Quote
Game still sucks!!

You played it yesterday.

/facepalm

How do you know Mr. Detective. Maybe he's cashing out like me just checking in on the AH. *Edit also the game does still suck.
Edited by Fingerling#1982 on 2/8/2013 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/08/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Fingerling
How do you know Mr. Detective

Clicking on someones profile isn't hard. He played yesterday.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
2million more after release well played blizzard your still the epic company that you our. fyi the haters are the minor here.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Kezmaefele
How do you know Mr. Detective

Clicking on someones profile isn't hard. He played yesterday.

What I'm saying is HOW DO YOU KNOW HE PLAYED HE COULD HAVE BEEN JUST CHECKING THE AH. Just because you can see when they logged in doesn't mean jack. QUIT PLAYING MR DETECTIVE. DUH
Reply Quote
12 million copies sold due to good marketing, a good reputation and the success of the previous game. In sales, its a great success. But i doubt the amount of players still playing is looking too awesome.

Most of all this launch reminded me of SW:TOR and we all know how that turned out. The defenders screaming out and protecting the game, player numbers were not dwindling, game was doing great. And support? wtf is that?
Yus.

SW: TOR didn't last 8 months. That game was essentially dead 90 days post launch. You're ridiculous in your hatred. If you really hate the game so much, why not just stop posting in the forums? That will show em!
Reply Quote

But most copies sold after all these meta critic and amazon babies so I don't see anything to support your statement.

Please explain why 60% of the original player base has quit then

60%? I'd love to see where you got your data...

There is one thing that is undeniable. The game made/makes a lot of money. Secondly, North American players may be the most entitled bunch in the world. This isn't true of the rest of the world where this game doesn't get the same kind of hatred as it gets here on the NA forums.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 04:33 PMPosted by barit
12m sold but how many of them are still active players ? That´s something u wont hear from Blizzard, period.

Next patch there will be a counter that shows active players online. Guess that means they will be telling us.
Reply Quote
View profile
See you in xpac OP!
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Noctifer

I totally agree, since Blizzard sold out in 1994 they just haven't released any good games and have only been looking to make profits. What a shame.

You are either trolling or very ignorant. Here everyone should read this:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252
Reply Quote
of those 12 million, i wonder how many still play... think its over 2M? id be surprised

most people who bought this game were fooled into thinking it was a diablo game

of my 30 RL and wow friends who played at the beginning, there are now 1-2 who ive ever seen on in the past 8 months on my occasional log on (the same 2 people), neither of which are RL friends
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm having fun.

I can't wait to get home from work each day to play, even if I only play for an hour or two (it's usually longer).

That's all a game requires for me to feel it's "successful". I don't care how well it sold, I don't care how much money its publisher made (or makes).

Is Diablo 3 fun? For me, yes.

Thus, it's a success.

I think that it has captured some of the Diablo magic, but only in the "Initial level to 60, the Hellfire rings, paragon, and as soon as you have a high amount of MF... finding loot"... however, level 60's with 0 para and no MF... forget about fun for them. I'm only just now having fun and feeling the need to play now that a "chance" exists for things to drop with my higher MF chance. In my opinion they choked on this particular part of the game... I've done threads about it, however I think we can all see how much one needs MF with these current drop rates to have that "chance" and it's sad... it shouldn't be mandatory, but something you choose to get if you want TONS of drops...

BoA may be the right direction... after all, Blizzard has never had the AH problem in a Diablo game and this may be the evolution of the game for us "solo" guys that want to do it our way. I've used to AH and had some good luck with it from time to time and that is a nice option, but again, it should not be mandatory EVER. Up to now, it has been. Hurry up 1.0.7
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 2/8/2013 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]