Diablo® III

Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

02/05/2013 11:50 PMPosted by BigReaper
This games needs a separate realm where there are no auction houses and the drop rates are 5x more or something. I would definitely play that.

Aside from the Drop rates. I would DEFINITELY enjoy playing a type where there is no auction house available and only crafting and self found.
Reply Quote
havoc, I like your thinking. I had a similar idea to your last paragraph:

Have items randomly salvage into another ingredient, an "Essence of <stat>". Blue items would have a chance of producing one, yellow items would be guaranteed to produce one. The stat would be randomly selected from those on the item being salvaged, complete with rol range. Then when crafting, you could add, say, 10 "Essences of Greater Strength" to replace a random attribute with a guaranteed strength roll.

If you put in enough time to salvaging, you could even pick all the random rolls of the item. Properly balanced, it wouldn't be overpowered because you'd need to salvage (6 stats) x (number of essences) x (chance of getting right essence) items, each with the right stat on it. Even then you wouldn't be guaranteed where in the range each roll would be.

Even if in the end it takes just as long as farming for gold and buying the item on the AH would, it gives a better sense of ownership, and you can feel the progression along the way as you build up the essences rather than waiting forever for that 100M drop.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 06:21 AMPosted by havoc
And ideally, don't use the "account bound" sledgehammer; just remove the crafted improvements when an item is sold.

You could call this "Attuned" maybe. So there are "attuning" recipes where I can put in a bunch of self-found items with the affix I want, plus a self-found base item; and it becomes Attuned to "My Name" and that means it has a bonus affix matching the items I used in the recipe. When I sell the item the attuning is dropped.

So that doesn't require me to spend a bunch of time with the blacksmith, instead I spend my time killing monsters to find items with a certain affix. But I can effectively boost drop quality for self-found items, thus giving me a chance to self-find stuff, without wrecking the AH or using the account-bound sledgehammer.

A good solution:

• Makes self-finding competitive with AH but lets players use BOTH, rather than choosing a play style... AH should give you good base items and then you have an additional endgame goal to craft even better items
  • Keeps RNG mostly with drops, not clicks on blacksmith buttons, so the grind is killing monsters not clicking craft buttons - the endgame activity is killing not crafting! Crafting is just how you "cash in" your killing.
  • Gives players a way to work toward a particular build (for example choose which affixes they want to try to get)
Reply Quote
Have items randomly salvage into another ingredient, an "Essence of <stat>". Blue items would have a chance of producing one, yellow items would be guaranteed to produce one. The stat would be randomly selected from those on the item being salvaged, complete with rol range. Then when crafting, you could add, say, 10 "Essences of Greater Strength" to replace a random attribute with a guaranteed strength roll.

Nice idea! Since you would be able to see your progress toward the goal, it would be much more motivating.

Customizable crafting using self-found mats also adds a sense of "permanent" customization (since re-rolling your items would require a grind). That's something people have been asking for.
Reply Quote
This thread does a really good job of articulating the difference between two popular approaches to playing Diablo III. Some players want to find their own gear and some players just want to streamline their way to maximum efficiency. There are a lot of players in-between as well. Each are completely valid play styles that happen to provide different benefits to different people. (Personally, I like to keep my Auction House use to a minimum in general, but I am willing to spend some gold if one of my items really needs adjustment.)

We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

thank you for your response. It's nice to see that the blues actually do exist! Here is my humble take on the issue with these two philosophies...

SELF FOUND PHILOSOPHY

First of all I am all for finding my own upgrades. If I had my way there would bo NO auction houses. The issue that arises, however, is with character progression. During one's progress in d3 (wheter it is beating inferno, raising your paragon level, or simply progressing your character to play at higher MP levels) there comes a point in time when you simply DO NOT find any gear upgrades. This is due to the small number of useful affixes needed for upgrades versus the huge amount of abysmal affixes found on gear. RNG is against the user 99% of the time. Once the user "caps out" with self found gear, there is no longer any sense of character progression--which makes most people either stop playing or use the AH.

AH PHILOSOPHY

Using the GAH to upgrade your character is the most used/logical means atm. You can sift through the sea of awful rolled affixed loot and find actual upgrades. With the more hardcore gamer that puts an abundance of time into D3, he or she will have attained a lot of gold via selling all the crap loot that he or she obtained in the process. That gold will be used for getting upgrades-that is the mechanic This seems to be the MAIN issue here. Loot is so awful that for the MAJORITY of players, they discover unsellable, salvage-only legendaries and vendor rares during their gameplay sessions. To have any character progression or efficiency at all it becomes NECCESSARY to use the AH to acquire upgrades.

SUMMARY

With no sense of progression and such a poor risk vs reward system the user is left scratching their head...Why am I putting so much time into this sandbox only to vendor garbage loot and sort through 50 pages of AH results to actually locate upgrades. This drains the fun out of the game and needs to be addressed. No hotfixes, patch time/gold sinks, or expansion sales gimmicks will fix this. This is a flawed CORE GAME MECHANIC that needs serious attention for the future of D3 to survive.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/06/2013 06:29 AMPosted by TheEnzVolta
I would DEFINITELY enjoy playing a type where there is no auction house available and only crafting and self found.

You have that option already. Just don't use the auction house.
Reply Quote
I would love to play D3 without the AH but now that is pretty much impossible. The game is now watered and dumbed down from it's origional and so the drops are also watered and dumbed down. All the drops even the legendary are a 1 out of a million chance so all are pretty much just crap and nothing you could ever use on your character. Therefor you are forced to use the AH for all you equipment if you want even average. Blizzard own book says that the AH is for what you can not find in the game but it never says that if you are the average player you will need to buy everything at the AH. I have over 1200 hours in this game and still none of my characters have an item that was a drop. I have spent over 50 mil. trying to make items and that is broken too as all you get is just like the crap drops. I have not even made an item yet that was able to be sold for 100000 even though it costs more than that to make. I even get 5 properties on a recepe that was supposed to have 6 sometimes. What bothers me is what is really wrong with this game never gets fixed. What is the point of farming for a good carrot if in reality for most of us it is never there?
Reply Quote
We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

Cough... ahem...

<waves hands in air>

Yoo hoo! Over here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592642496

First, thanks for your interest and comment.

That being said, there are 19 pages and counting of solid ideas, discussion and critique of crafting in just one of the threads over in PTR forum. Perhaps engaging (something more than a fly-by post???) on the topic there might be of interest?

I don't mean to be a *%!*@**@, but a lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into detailed analysis in the PTR forums. Making a context-free and non-specific comment about it over here while basically ignoring the contributions over there doesn't sit well...
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Grimiku

I love to craft items, i feel as they are just like "Self Found" because i earned it my self and i achieved success crafting. This is very nice to experiance because you have crafted something amazing :)
Reply Quote
View profile

lol. I'm a person who frequently uses the AH and is sitting on 53 million gold. I still feel that the new gems are completely out of reach.

those new gems are there just to further split up the wealth classes and now the high end players can have stronger gems and the game has another massive gold sink.
Reply Quote
I've never understood why "self found" players care one whit:

a) that an auction house exists
and
b) some people use it

I just don't get it. Don't wanna use the AH ... DON'T! It will not prevent you from beating the game.

Just giving my 2 cents here: I think self found players feel the AH has too much impact on the game balance.
And because there is no separate realms (with and without AH), it creates a great distorsion between AH users and non users, within the same environment. It feels like playing two different games.
Actually it is two different games, so for logic sake, I'd find it cleaner having Realms without AH aside the current ones,
Then I would not care at all for anyone going to the supermarket while I prefer hunting.
Edited by JohnDifool#2174 on 2/6/2013 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
The new crafting philosophy is a real Diablo mechanic that is a step in the right direction. I honestly think the AH and lack of a social system (the little in-game chat doesn't count) drained most of the fun out of the game.
Reply Quote
It would be nice if "self-found" gear was some how "tagged". That way the people who play with self-found gear had some bragging rights.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Clëan
with the current itemization there is no variety or creativity in the affixes

It's a good point that if the less-popular affixes were buffed then it would be easier and more fun to use a strange self-found item or bargain-hunt on AH. Makes everything from crafting to AH more fun across the board.

Items should support unusual builds like thorns build, fire build, crowd control build, etc.
Reply Quote
After I reached 100k+ dps I bacame a treasure goblin!

What can I do? You can't blame me if whites, blues, most of rares, most of legendaries are trash.

My most satisfying moments happen in the AH, flipping items or selling the legendaries I eventually find that can be sold for more than 1 milion.

It's the only viable option blizzard gives us, I'd have so much more fun if we had better options of crafting (not BoA), or playstyles (infinite dungeons, 8 players etc etc etc).

Sometimes I just log in to see my auctions, get the gold, buy something cheap and try to resell. And I actually enjoy that, but it's not the enjoyment I wanted and I know the game itself should be more rewarding.

Like someone said about the rares, I just pick up rings amulets bracers and gloves and whatever legendary or set appears. I don't feel motivated to do higher MP's since it is boring, slow, and non-rewarding from my perspective.

This is the only way (except if you are VERY lucky) to find a better item once you reach a certain level, unfortunatly.

I still need better items, but to increase my dps I need a very good calamity, and you know, it is very expensive and hard to find, I once found a 1233 dps calamity but no sockets...useless, had to sell it.

I'm totally in for of a "Legit" character system, like the "Hardcore", but it would get so boring, I mean, with the itemization and crafting options we have now it would be boring trust me. The level of frustration would be so high. Increasing droprate by 5x is not fun, it isn't.

The crafting system needs to be inproved, like it was in D2. The prices in the AH will follow the new systems implemented, it won't ruin the economy.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Grimiku

I have come to believe that the new recipes are a good thing. They've been buffed so much I don't care that they are BoA. However, I think it's really important for Bizz to understand that Gambling and Crafting are 2 different systems. What we have at the moment is a Gambling system.

Please, PLEASE see the PTR forums for pages upon pages of relevant Crafting system QQ and quite a few well thought out ideas.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk

The major problem is that I already know the rough price of items on the GAH, which for most items is FAR less than the average cost of crafting. In a game supposedly modeled on farming and efficiency, it would be irrational for me to knowingly spend more time/effort/money to get lesser quality items.
Reply Quote
I did until level 60. Then i realized that I was stupid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]