Diablo® III

Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

Too bad the game doesn't have an achievement for self found players that finish the game (Inferno Diablo kill) without using the AH. Maybe they figured that someone would never want to do that or that it is/was impossible.
Reply Quote
I find it to costly for making an item rather then blow 20m just to get something with half useable stats i prefer just to rinse and repeat acts. I suggest item drops for each class to be dropped from farming to be for the class you are playing rather then items you will maybe never use. Also on another subject i suggest the stash space is not anyway big enough to cope with all the new items ect from last patch to the 107 patch coming soon all you need to do is look at most users and you will see mule accounts just to hold items i think paying for space is just a money pit other games give 100s of slots for items for free.
Reply Quote
The auction house pretty much squashed the thrill of the item hunt in this game. There is an artificial wealth barrier in place that is only broken by learning to flip items, otherwise you farm endlessly while never finding good items because they are theoretically already available for purchase by other players, except for the fact that flippers put those prices out of reach for non flippers.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Technoviking
you will be a treasure goblin player as soon as you end the noob stage. don't worry, it will happen

So someone who doesn't play like you is a noob? That makes you what? Elite? LOL... you're playing a game on a computer in your grandma's basement with a year supply of yoohoo with your chubby arm's reach and you think you're better than someone else?

See... i can make assumptions based on something totally random too.
Reply Quote
If things didn't cost as much as they do in game, I would never need the AH, but when I have to gamble craft on items costing me 100-150k an attempt, then spend millions on gems I need, there is no real way of doing that without selling the other junk you find in game to other people that don't realize it's junk for outrageous prices. On a good day an average player that has a job MIGHT pick up 500-700k worth of gold on the ground and junk items to sell, 3 times that maybe if they have no job and nothing better to do. That's not including repair costs.
Reply Quote
Just to reiterate what has been said many times before: one can consider crafting when you apply your knowledge/skills learnt throughout the game, using materials found in the game to create a unique item with desired properties to improve your overall gaming experience. Hellfire Ring is a good example and it was a step in the right direction.

Everything else that involves Blacksmith in its current shape and form is purely a gamble. You just put the money on the table (crafting plans, materials and gold) and hope for the best.

Account-bound items would be great provided you can salvage them to the same base materials you put into making them at the first place, with a moderate penalty (say 25%). Sort of like a recycling - you never get 100% of the original materials. That would bring a lot more fun to crafting, as you could almost endlessly experiment with it while providing a moderate gold/resource sink.

I love self-found aspect of the game. If it only made the hours put in the game worthwhile...

Edit for spelling
Edited by arcus73#1307 on 2/6/2013 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think the key here is if you don't spend gold on the AH then crafting needs to be MUCH more interesting.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Grimiku
For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items?

Finding an item only takes time and good RNG. Crafting an item takes time (crafting materials) gold, and good RNG. Now, if crafting costed like way less then it does now, materials had a chance to drop from enemies, and their was less RNG to mess up the item then I would craft more. Right now crafting is horrible.

In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

In finding your own item you have no choice in what you are getting. Crafting you choose to craft a pair of gloves and chances are you will be making like 50 of them to get a good pair, how is that supposed to be fun? Crafting is more disappointing and a waste of time.

I cannot come up with a reasonable solution because I highly doubt Blizzard wants players to actually feel rewarded when it comes to their time playing the game. They'd rather have the player enslaved to their slight hope that MAYBE they'll get something interesting.
Reply Quote
If you have the option to use the AH why wouldnt you? Do you play CS without granades too? jeez
Reply Quote
This thread does a really good job of articulating the difference between two popular approaches to playing Diablo III. Some players want to find their own gear and some players just want to streamline their way to maximum efficiency. There are a lot of players in-between as well. Each are completely valid play styles that happen to provide different benefits to different people. (Personally, I like to keep my Auction House use to a minimum in general, but I am willing to spend some gold if one of my items really needs adjustment.)

We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

As a tool to assist players who seldom use the AH to gear-up, it is perhaps a step forward for the goal-oriented.

However, a fantastic item drop from beating down a monster is way more emotionally appealing than having a fantastic item crafted from blacksmith. Crafting a fantastic item feels like visiting a suddenly-generous Gheed (from D2). But a fantastic item drop from bringing down a Fronzen Jailer Mortar Reflects Damage Hulking Phasebeast pack is so much more satisfying.
Reply Quote
make crafting cheaper....spending millions for a random roll...stupidity
Reply Quote
To the OP, please take into account that you still haven't even beaten the first act of inferno, you have only 1500 elite kills, and you still have blues equipped. I'd recommend playing inferno act 1 as much as possible and to not be worried about dying a lot. The payoff from items that drop for you in inferno should offset the cost of repairs, and you'll get much better drops in Inferno than you will in Hell.
Edited by JimmyTugboat#1234 on 2/6/2013 1:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

This was a good idea at first but having account bound items kind of suck in the long run. Like you stated you dip into the AH, and that kind of kills the AH. Anyways thats not the point. If you want to play with someone who like to just play add me, so long as you play on a higher mp then zero, its so boring there. I've played a little of 1.0.7 and its difficult to join a mp 4 and up game. Plus you should look into have game open for like the first min of the quest, because most the time I joined a game and they would be fighting the boss. Which is a big bummer.
Reply Quote
I don't play AH free but I would if I could. I should also point out that I don't use the RMAH to buy and now I don't even place items to sell. The GAH I use but most of the items that I place even at low prices don't sell too often. And I don't buy much because I can't tell if an item is a complete upgrade or there are not any that I can find. I don't like bidding, so if I can't find something with a buyout I am not going to stick around. Now with HC I only have lower lvl items and I put them for sale with low prices and they tend to sell. I was planning on not using the HC AH for upgrades but at some point I may. Otherwise I will be stuck farming lower lvls or my character will be undergeared and move to a new area where I will die. But I can just grind away until I get the lvls and or items that I need to drop for me. I plan to use the BS and try my luck as well.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/06/2013 06:57 AMPosted by MountainMan
I would DEFINITELY enjoy playing a type where there is no auction house available and only crafting and self found.

You have that option already. Just don't use the auction house.

Moot point, considering the current itemization and rng.

What he probably meant was a playing type where this concerns are addressed accordingly.
Reply Quote
you will be a treasure goblin player as soon as you end the noob stage. don't worry, it will happen

So someone who doesn't play like you is a noob? That makes you what? Elite? LOL... you're playing a game on a computer in your grandma's basement with a year supply of yoohoo with your chubby arm's reach and you think you're better than someone else?

See... i can make assumptions based on something totally random too.

so stating a fact/truth makes me an elitist that plays games in my grandma's basement? good argument kid. I simply stated that after he leaves the "noob phase" aka new to the game and after dinging 60, he will resort to using the AH. self found is great while leveling but is hardly sustainable when farming at 60 and looking to actually "character progress". can you not read thru the lines? why so offended when referring to a new player as a noob? a noob MEANS a new player to a game. go google internet jargen before making statements that make you look like a 12 year old angry kid.
Edited by Technoviking#1999 on 2/6/2013 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]