Diablo® III

Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

Dont mind me, I wouldnt even pick up some legendaris if they couldnt be brimmed

Seriously, the average quality of loots dropping are so bad that sooner or later (maybe around 100-200 hours i assume?) you wouldn't bother picking many things
Reply Quote
This thread does a really good job of articulating the difference between two popular approaches to playing Diablo III. Some players want to find their own gear and some players just want to streamline their way to maximum efficiency. There are a lot of players in-between as well. Each are completely valid play styles that happen to provide different benefits to different people. (Personally, I like to keep my Auction House use to a minimum in general, but I am willing to spend some gold if one of my items really needs adjustment.)

We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

To me it isn't about self-found or not.. It is about why I kill the mob, why I log in and play..

Playing D3 to grind money for AH or playing D3 to grind materials to craft items is really the same too me.. My mind set goes from killing monsters in the hope of getting an amazing drop (which I know is still a grind..) To, ag.. I have to go kill some monsters to earn something (gold or materials) so that I can then go and purchase/craft an item I like..

It just removes for me the magic of diablo, and turns it into a resource grind fest :(
Which is why I now play without AH or crafting and have really been enjoying my play time more (thought I feel the drop rate of items is somewhat less to that of D2, which is probably due to the fact that the designers didn't want to flood the AH)

Just my 5c
-Ultra
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 12:16 PMPosted by LordArion
The problem is when these people who's entertainment is busting out the credit card complain about itemization and cause changes in the game for those who don't use the auction house or don't base the entirety of the character development on the AH it does cause a problem. It would be like one of our political parties having 100% control and the other being tied up and getting kicked in the nuts. Unfortunately that obsession with the AH is taking what Diablo was, a loot based ARPG, and turning it into a game where everything revolves around a market. Diablo isn't an MMO, lets keep that way.

That is simply unfair... this game was designed to bust out the credit card hence the creation of RMAH and AH. So those who do use it, have just as much right to complain about the itemization as those who choose not to access, it complain about lack of build diversity. Blizzard intentionally placed the AHs into the game effecting itemization and drops and we aren't allowed to comlain about it? Get real.
Edited by Penndragon#1311 on 2/7/2013 3:53 AM PST
Reply Quote

For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

Definitely count materials as a self-found item approach.

I also tend to prefer systems that allow for post-item creation alterations that are still subject to a certain amount of RNG, but that's probably a different discussion topic.
Reply Quote
From the people I know, this is what I managed to conclude: WoW players are enjoying this game more than D2 veterans are.
Make of this what you like.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 12:59 PMPosted by toletole
If you have the option to use the AH why wouldnt you? Do you play CS without granades too? jeez

Stupid analogy is stupid.
If you wanna equate it to an FPS, try this: playing D3 using the AH is like playing an FPS with 'Aim Assist' turned on.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:50 PMPosted by BigReaper
This games needs a separate realm where there are no auction houses and the drop rates are 5x more or something. I would definitely play that.

+1 I WOULD TOTALY PLAY THAT
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Grimiku
In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

Of course it counts.
But at least for me, item drops give a better reward. Thus items hunting must be something that really exist, not just random.
Maybe a loot table or more specific drops could help (like keys from keywarden).
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:50 PMPosted by BigReaper
This games needs a separate realm where there are no auction houses and the drop rates are 5x more or something. I would definitely play that.

O_O

One of the best idea ever read in this forum!
Reply Quote
My brother and I just picked up the game again after a significant break and started HC char's with the following rules:
- No buying off the AH (all items have to be found/crafted)
- Can only play those characters together

I've gotta say, it's been a blast. Definitely adds another element of difficulty to it, when you can't just buy top-shelf gear.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Revaen
I've gotta say, it's been a blast. Definitely adds another element of difficulty to it, when you can't just buy top-shelf gear

Indeed. I actually play Diablo just with drops/crafted item and it's way more rewarding then just buyout gear.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 12:27 PMPosted by LordArion
Exactly. The AH has no place in an ARPG.

AH could be fun for Diablo if instead of selling items for gold or money you sell item for other items. Just a huge trade system, could be amazing.
Reply Quote
This thread does a really good job of articulating the difference between two popular approaches to playing Diablo III. Some players want to find their own gear and some players just want to streamline their way to maximum efficiency. There are a lot of players in-between as well. Each are completely valid play styles that happen to provide different benefits to different people. (Personally, I like to keep my Auction House use to a minimum in general, but I am willing to spend some gold if one of my items really needs adjustment.)

We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

Thank you Grimiku. I think this is a key point and it is great you guys are working on it.

If I were to recap, basically the initial state was an AH on one side, and on the other side well, what you would find yourself. The AH being fed with a lot of items by a lot of players, with no serious item sink for these items (every item replaced by an upgrade can re-enter the pool), the probability of self-gearing competitively with what can be afforded on the AH naturally goes lower and lower. Thus looting becomes inefficient very quickly (the important point being that it happens at a much faster rate than in a world with no AH, where looting only has to compete with what you have found for yourself).

It is clear and great that you guys are working hard to DURABLY make "playing the game" a better option. Up until now it seems (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you guys only explored the path of creating a second pool of items that could only be in frontal competition with any item in the AH and not be part of it as by definition you can't get nor put them there : Hellfire Ring, these new crafting plans (and to a larger extent, Marquise gems).

It is an option with a lot of potential (as you have demonstrated with these new mechanics you implemented). I'm just wondering if it is the only one.

For example, as mentioned before, have you guys considered ways to have item sinks that would only apply to the AH ? Since I'm not sure the meaning of my sentence is clear, maybe just an example would be better. Let's say that, to mirror the 15% tax on AH sales, any item bought on the AH would have a 15% chance to become bound on account at the moment you click on "send item to stash" after you've bought it.

I believe this would help immensely, as it would limit the average number of times an item can go from player to player from infinity to an average of 7 (the system-wide 15% would be set according to the desired effect), thus putting a huge slow down on "item inflation" on the AH, and thus making self-looting that much more profitable again.

(With a few added bonuses :
- non relying on "opposite worlds" items (ie regular items on one side, and specific BOA items you have to farm for on the other side, with a uncrossable barrier between as one can never become the other
- making AH flipping that much less profitable ! which is something most players would find a nice effect I believe)

I just meant that as an example initially but I realize I might have been a bit carried away in the details. Anyway, I hope what I meant is comprehensible. So, have you guys considered such other ways/options (AH-specific item sink) to reduce the gap, in addition to your work on Hellfire rings and the new crafted items ?

Thanks
Edited by ParkerLewis#2105 on 2/8/2013 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote

I've only found a couple of recipes to hand off to my blacksmith (and nothing to hand off to my jeweler yet; Shen is feeling neglected...), and the surplus of item traits still yields a statistically higher chance of getting useless stats than useful, at least in my experience. On top of that, crafting is expensive. Put those two in conjunction with the fact that I just completed Inferno last night and won't be able to start farming until I get home from work this afternoon, it means my cash flow isn't quite yet at the point where crafting is a worthwhile risk for me. It's an area where improvements can be made easier than adjusting the larger code base of the item traits, however, if you simply tweak crafting to be more likely to give you something useful (or at least produce stats more useful to some class, so gold can be generated in the AH to be used for other things). That at least justifies its up-front cost.

To me personally, I use the AH when I feel I have no other option. I bought Echoing Fury last night in Act IV of Inferno to use as an off hand, and I'm curious if I'd have survived to beat Diablo if I hadn't. This said, to me the game is about the item hunt, but the hunt only pays off if I get upgrades. I'd rather get those upgrades by playing the game than by staring at a graphically-fancy spreadsheet (the AH interface). When playing Torchlight 2, I got a regular sense of gratification because items were dropping at an acceptable rate that were actually useful upgrades for me. I want that for Diablo 3, as I still feel it's a better game overall. If you could implement the usefulness of TL2's drop scheme with the rest of D3 as it stands, this game would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

It's one thing to hit the AH when a streak of bad RNG hits you and you just don't see upgrades for awhile. It's another thing when the "streak" is good RNG. I don't think good RNG should be the exception, or if it is, it should be weighted more towards a middle-ground balance (statistically) than it currently is, where I feel like a legitimately useful, desirable upgrade dropping places me in the 98th percentile instead of, say, the 75th.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Technoviking
you will be a treasure goblin player as soon as you end the noob stage. don't worry, it will happen
Reply Quote
You pick up the rings & amys and all lvl 63 items - all rest just gets dumped anyway.

I agree with the posters above - kill more monster for better items.
Reply Quote
Without AH you can get nothing. Nothing, I mean, you know that?
RNG is not RNG.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 11:32 AMPosted by LordArion
buddy i am not a noob, but i play for fun and will work for my gear over using the AH. Of course you guys see everything as garbage. You are addicted to the AH like a stoner is addicted to drugs. Play without and you'll enjoy it a lot more and the items won't be so allegedly terrible.

how can you say you aren't a noob? You have barely over 1000 elites kills on any one character and you are wearing blue items.

I get it, you don't understand why people skip items on the ground. It's because at a certain point you realize the game is about efficiency especially if you are trying to deck out your character, find legendaries, or paragon level.

Just because you aren't at the point where efficiency truly matters doesn't mean the rest of the D3 population isn't there. I, personally, barely ever use the AH... maybe once every few weeks or if I'm looking for something in particular for a new build. I'm enjoying trying to get my first character to paragon 100 and then I'll probably set the game aside for a while.

The real question is why does it bother you how other people want to play the game?
Reply Quote
I tried playing "Ironman D3" I used to do it all the time in D2.

However, D3 does not support it like D2 did.

In D3 the drops are far to random, prints for Blacksmith and Jeweler are so rare its not even feasible to rely on your own crafted items, not to mention that the RNG bites you in the butt even if your the one crafting the items.

I should state though, for normal and nightmare and even the first few acts of hell, it is possible to "live off the land"...but once you hit inferno, its simply not a realistic option.

Blizzard knew this, which is why the AH's are there...they made the RNG's effect sooo many things and no real hard stats even on legendary items to promote the AH's.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]