Diablo® III

EHP question

I posted this in the general forum, but that forum is just full of lazy spongebob fans that just want uber goodness with no effort.

So, let's try the Barbs forum. It seems to be filled with more intelligent folk....

EHP (Effective Hit Points) is some kind of formula that takes into account life leach, resists, DPS, etc. I'm not really clear on all of it. I just know that some things, like damage mitigation really helps it and will factor into the formula. Other things that really help it might not.

I was stuck on MP3 with my magic find gear. Wanted to go higher, but just couldn't afford the upgrades and keep my magic find. Then, I started messing around with skills and my followers gear after reading some threads. As soon as I equipped them with cold dmg weapons and chance to freeze items and switched my Hammer of the Ancients skill from "Smash" to "Thunderstrike" (Kill something and everything around you is stunned) everything became waaay more easy. I had to bump up 2 MP levels just to get a challenge again! My EHP went waaay up after this change. Essentially, you can't lose hit points if nothing is attacking you because they are stunned. If a mob had say 50 attacks per second before and it took 10 seconds to clear a mob, that's 500 attacks. Now, they get in maybe 1 attack as a group, then they are all stunned or frozen until they are all dead. So, that's a 90% dmg reduction. When I went up against the seigebreaker in MP3 before all this, he would pick me up maybe 5 times. I just went up against him a few minutes ago and he only got to pick me up once..and this is 2 MP levels higher.

My question is, how do skills and followers factor into EHP formulas? If they don't, why not? I mean, its silly to judge a character's ability to survive without taking into account their followers set up and skill selection, isn't it? If I were to use Bloodthirst, that gives me a 3% lifesteal. That would HAVE to help my EHP. So, if that skill is factored in, shouldn't a skill like Thunderstrike that can mitigate 90% of a mob's attacks be factored in?
Reply Quote
You can add follower buffs to the sites such as d3up.com and d3rawr.com to see what your EHP is when they tag along for the slaughter, you can also add group play buffs.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 07:46 PMPosted by ThePlow
You can add follower buffs to the sites such as d3up.com and d3rawr.com to see what your EHP is when they tag along for the slaughter, you can also add group play buffs.

I'll have to play around with that site then. What about STUN and FREEZE? Even COLD dmg? Doesnt that increase your EHP? It should..
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 08:59 PMPosted by Corgon
I'll have to play around with that site then. What about STUN and FREEZE? Even COLD dmg? Doesnt that increase your EHP? It should..

No, you said it in your original post, EHP=Effective Hit Points, which is strictly how much raw damage you can take in a single hit without dying.

Your ehp is not the only component of your survivability though, which is where I think you are getting confused.
Reply Quote
just remember when fighting siegebreaker and zoltan kulle uber your follower's chance to freeze can easily get you killed since siege will pick you up and be frozen with you helpless in midair.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]