Diablo® III

Late game item: ethereal - for PVP and end-game content

Hello,

While thinking at the huge problem blizzard has with the fact items lose their value day after day until they are worth zero due to the proliferation of items.

In diablo 2 (yes, I know, but keep reading), there was many utilities of using ethereal (can't be repaired) items even if you could not repair them resulting in the lost of the said item.
They had higher damage if it was a weapon and more defense if it was an armor (50% more if I recall). Their stats could be boosted in D3, anything to make them valuable.

In PVP it could made a huge difference (50% boost is a lot). The downside was that you constantly had to buy these items. I think it was possible to repair them with rune but it cost a lot to do it if I remember. Every time you needed one rune to repair it and the rune was consumed. D2 players had to repair it every games or so of PVP.

This is an interesting concept that could be implemented in D3 to keep the economy rolling and thus blizzard gold sink working. With a consumable people DEPENDS on, you force them to constantly spend to repair their godly items.

You would also need these items (screw the account bound items, we are not in WoW) to beat the end game content (with a reward like more ethereal items - these items are very good but ethereal and cannot be repaired by anything - not even by a consumable [that's simply an idea among many]).
Edited by Daemon#1640 on 2/3/2013 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
My concern with ethereal items in Diablo 3 is the 10% durability loss on death plus the decaying durability from just hitting or getting hit. This would semi-make people not so interested in ethereal items. Thus not many would use it and it would be somewhat pointless addition to the game other then for PvP. If in PvP your items do not take durability damage which would take away the point of the ethereal item.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Snuffles
My concern with ethereal items in Diablo 3 is the 10% durability loss on death plus the decaying durability from just hitting or getting hit. This would semi-make people not so interested in ethereal items. Thus not many would use it and it would be somewhat pointless addition to the game other then for PvP. If in PvP your items do not take durability damage which would take away the point of the ethereal item.

You don't get the point, these items are uber godly. The game need a item sink as it is with the gold sink.
These items are really good and allow you to survive in late game content with guaranteed reward. But to get the reward you need the use of ethereal items/consumable items.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]