Diablo® III

Why barbs are OP (after leveling all classes to 60)

(Locked)

Update: I would like to change my point of view a bit. After a few comments telling how well some people thought DH and WD did in higher MPs, I went back to try mine, as they have okay gear, and I was surprised how well they did on MP8. I had no real problem kiting the packs a bit with my DH, or running around my pets with my WD. I would still say that it would cost a lot less to bring a barb to this level (so I keep my original statement on this), but still, I was surprised of how well I did with my DH and WD.

There are two reasons why I didn't see this earlier: I used to play with friends on higher MPs with both my DH and WD. With the extra HP mobs have in groups, there must have been a lot of situations where I would kite a few mobs away from my friends, as they woudn't have the aggro, and it would take me so long to kill them that I would run out of discipline or mana and die quickly. So I always got the feeling that my characters were not good enough for this.

The other reason is that I almost doubled my discipline pool with my DH recently, with the Nat's set, so I think it makes a huge difference in high MPs. It just didn't cross my mind that I could ever survive and do okay in these situations. But you guys made me question myself, I tried it and was quite surprised.

So in a way, I was wrong saying Barbs did way better. But, I still think that they cost a lot less to gear up: 10mil vs 40 to 50+mil, for the exact same result.

Anyway, my simple and short post brought a lot of cool opinions and discussions. Hope you guys continue. It actually had a positive impact on how I see my DH and WD now.

I don't really like the term OP, as I don't want barbs to be nerfed. But I wanted to share my experience with barbs after playing a lot with my demon hunter, and after leveling all other classes to 60.

After paying more than 50mil on my demon hunter (I lost count), and about 40 mil on my witch doctor, I found myself having a difficult time in higher MPs. With my demon hunter, I have to kite a lot as soon as I reach MP4, and my witch doctor can handle MP5 quite well, but I run low on mana a bit after casting too many zombie bears, and I die a lot in MP6 and higher.

Anyway, I'm still working on gearing my monk and wizard: they can't handle more than MP3 for now.

As for my barb, I didn't put much gold on it, not more than 10mil for sure. And I can farm MP8 easily with a rend build. I tried MP10, just to see, and I killed the first pack I saw without dying. So, IMO, barbs are much more powerful than other classes, because they have huge buffs of DPS and defense, and it cost so little gold to gear. For less than 10mil, I can have a DPS of 190K with in game buffs, and still have lots of armor and resists, and a good amount of life.

I know my barb isn't that great, but I can still farm MP8 without dying.
Edited by bearr#2157 on 2/7/2013 9:13 PM PST
Glad to see someone who's spending the time and give every class a chance...

I played only the WD until I sold a Natalya's Reflection for 300m, and found out that it was actually worth a lot more. lol it kind of got me in a way that called for the need of knowing all classes or something...

I spent probably about 50m each on four of the five I have and they can all do MP7/MP8 with decent results...Sure the barb being the cheapest at half of that and can do MP8/MP9 with ease and playing style is drastically different with barbs. I mean I kite champions so that I can kill three or four packs at once (the more mobs the better). No other classes can pull off something like that; I do need to pay quite some additional attention with all other classes. Other classes are not as strong or efficient when it comes to PvM, but they do have their own traits that make them unique and fun. I enjoy playing all classes in Diablo 3 which I had never thought of happening.
They really just need to nerf WotB so barbs cant keep it up for an entire act or halve all the stat bonuses from it. No other class has any skill that even comes close to it. Also cut the armor bonus barbs get from STR.

It is extremely unfair that a 50 mil geared barb can farm faster then my 1 bil geared demon hunter
Edited by Cybralisk#1696 on 2/5/2013 12:39 AM PST
Simply saying, Barbs are OP because they got impenetrable defense, alot of life steal (belt, passive, weapon) and also can have good damage while cost of that is fairly low.

What's wrong with other characters?

Monks have bad resource regen, bad main stat - dexterity (gives 0 defense), no life steal even no life on hit. The only good thing is mantras and OwE passive. But who cares, Blizz gonna nerf it anyway.

WD and WIZ cost alot to farm high mp and still it's hard for them to have nice damage and life steal at the same time.

DH thankfully have ability to gain life steal for 5 seconds but to maintain it longer and don't die from surroundings you should buy Nat's set but it will lower you damage alot. And DH has lowest defense from all classes. So if you don't want to be glass cannon you should spent some money on All Res and Armor.

So, If Blizzards are ever going to balance classes (i don't believe in that) they either completely rework concept for 4 classes or nerf 1 class.
You forgot to mention that you farm mp8 really slow, sure you might be able to survive but its not efficient at all. Barbs not OP. Barbs were always meant to be a tanky class anyways.
Barbs are OP because they have several ways to gain LOH: a passive, rend, and revenge.
Barbs are only gd when u hv the correct gears set up correct amount of hp , all resis , armour and ias and with the correct skill set up then they will shine.
02/05/2013 01:39 AMPosted by Hayden
You forgot to mention that you farm mp8 really slow, sure you might be able to survive but its not efficient at all. Barbs not OP. Barbs were always meant to be a tanky class anyways.

Well, it doesn't seem slow to me. It's not that fast, but not that slow. I pop WotB for 15 seconds, and I'm sure it takes 2 minutes by pack. Haven't calculated it.

02/05/2013 02:14 AMPosted by kastermaster
I looked at your barb gear. I find it hard to believe you farm mp8. Maybe mp5 but not mp8.

Yeah, I would agree with you, that my gear is low end, but I do really farm MP8 easily. I have between 800 and 1000 all resists with war cry I think, 7500 armor, 44k life, and about 140K dps at all times with battle rage. The secret is the rend life steal rune, with revenge. I was as surprised as you, and that's why I'm wrote this thread lol

02/05/2013 12:04 AMPosted by coolvi
I spent probably about 50m each on four of the five I have and they can all do MP7/MP8 with decent results...Sure the barb being the cheapest at half of that and can do MP8/MP9 with ease and playing style is drastically different with barbs. I mean I kite champions so that I can kill three or four packs at once (the more mobs the better). No other classes can pull off something like that; I do need to pay quite some additional attention with all other classes. Other classes are not as strong or efficient when it comes to PvM, but they do have their own traits that make them unique and fun. I enjoy playing all classes in Diablo 3 which I had never thought of happening.

Thanks for your post by the way! We have pretty similar DH, and I was wondering what I do wrong, cause I have about 100K dps without Steady aim, 52K life, 4000 armor, 200-400 resists, and 60 discipline points. Maybe I need more all resist? Or is your play style and skills that makes the difference? From what I see, I could never farm MP7 with my DH.
And if I sacrifice 20k life and 20 discipline, I have about 150K dps with steady aim.
Edited by bearr#2157 on 2/5/2013 8:08 AM PST
[quote] Other classes are not as strong or efficient when it comes to PvM,/quote]
You waste your time on mp8/9 and then talk of efficiency?
Monk tempest rush and Demonhunter are the fastest paragon levelers, not Barb.
Barb is just OP and cheap to gear, thats all.

Well, 2 minutes to kill a pack is not that long at MP8. But most of the time, I prefer to farm MP1 with my DH and vault through the levels really fast, only killing packs, tempest rushing with my monk, or whirlwind with my barb, spirit walk with my WD, and teleport with my wizard.
Edited by bearr#2157 on 2/5/2013 8:12 AM PST
They really just need to nerf WotB so barbs cant keep it up for an entire act or halve all the stat bonuses from it. No other class has any skill that even comes close to it. Also cut the armor bonus barbs get from STR.

It is extremely unfair that a 50 mil geared barb can farm faster then my 1 bil geared demon hunter

qq more .. so many jelly crybabys in this game. nerf barb waaaa waaa waaa how about suggest buffs for other fail classes instead of trying to destroy us barbs.
cry for more nerfs please. you babies got this game ruined already, why not keep getting your way.

02/04/2013 10:02 PMPosted by bearr
For less than 10mil, I can have a DPS of 190K with in game buffs, and still have lots of armor and resists, and a good amount of life.

prove this.

you guys need to relearn what classes are about. you want all to take same damage and put out same damage for same range with same stills. nice.

Calm down man. All the posts have been well thought so far. Like I said in my first post, I said I don't want barbs to be nerfed. It's just a discussion about the fact that barbs require less gold to gear. In fact, all other classes should get fixed, cause Barbs are pretty awesome. I can only do MP8 because my skills are well chosen.

And I won't prove this. That's not the point I'm trying to make. But you can look at my gear and tell my how it costs, with gems. I have 88K unbuff, but with battle rage, and the 24% buff from bash, and if I use the overpower with 10% crit chance and the passive that gives 30% bonus dmg when three mobs are nearby, I do get 192K dps (I tried it). As I said, I don't use all these skills most of the time, so I have 149K dps at all times with battle rage and bash (so I rend one time, bash, bash, bash, get the bonus, and rend again. Repeat).

Edit: yeah okay, I'll prove it. I'll take a screenshot later, no problem.
Edited by bearr#2157 on 2/5/2013 8:41 AM PST
[quote="78099596993"] Other classes are not as strong or efficient when it comes to PvM,/quote]

Fastest paragon levelers you say?! Isn't it the first character to reach paragon level 100 was ding! ding! ding! ding! our survey says BARB - Alkaizer.
I spent six hours leveling each class, do I know everything about them now too?
I dont think you gearing right in high mp with 3.3K armor and 37K hp. WD.

GI and GF for the one who have pick up yards ! Sorry you have 0
Bear only for the one can stand close to the monster and shot. Can you hold you position without dead?
Skorn! Ls! can be effective if you have AS item. Can your bear "hit" anything? and steal anything if the elite is not coming to you?

leveling all to 60 is not that difficult. My wizard and DH is 60 but i can say i dont know how to use them. Casual play only.

your barbarian "farm" mp8 ? which area? your barbarian have 0 AS item i dont think a As 1 skorn with 0 AS can do good in mp8. WOTB 15sec the first pack and how about the next elite pack? facing the slow skeleton forever?

Every bar need to gearing right to keep WOTB just like WD gearing right to farm MP10.
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 2/5/2013 8:54 AM PST
[quote]
Other classes are not as strong or efficient when it comes to PvM,/quote]

Fastest paragon levelers you say?! Isn't it the first character to reach paragon level 100 was ding! ding! ding! ding! our survey says BARB - Alkaizer.

any statistic measure? how do you know he is not 7/24 and how about the others? Does the other class have same dps and do the same run?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]