Diablo® III

Min IAS for stun lock with Bola Stun Ball

What is the minimum ias to achieve perma stun lock on uber with Combo Bola Stun Ball and Elemental Arrow Lightning Bolts?
Reply Quote
im at 3.22 and can very closely perma stun with bola alone that i dont need lighting bolt
im curious if true stun lock (like a cm wiz) is even possible regardless of asp.
Edited by hmk21#1716 on 2/6/2013 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't know what AS you should be at but did you try Caltrops/Torturous Ground and Thrill of the Hunt to go along with Bola/Thunder Ball? I've also had good results with Impale/Impact. Throw in a couple in between the Bolas.
Reply Quote
The main difference is that we can only stun one target at a time well. CM wiz can do as many as are within the range of their Nova.

I've toyed with stunning groups with Stun grenades and it works alright, but the area of effect isn't remotely as good as a CM Wiz radius of effect.

it is technically impossible to stun the target 100% with a 35% chance ability for 1.5 seconds. You'd need 3 shots in one second to have a 96% chance that one of those would stun the target within that one second. (I think that math is right? or at least close to it). You can never technically hit the 100% chance within a particular time frame, though you can get virtually there, I'd say 96% is pretty much close enough, no? Leaving 0.5 seconds for error, I'd say that 3 APS is about what you'd require to stun lock your target "THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME", especially if there are diminished effects on elites/ubers (not entire sure of this though)

this also means you're not doing anything else to the target, such as dropping traps at the feet, which would drop an attack from the stunning attack.

I have 2.88 APS, I do alright with keeping single targets stunned so long as I don't drop traps at the feet. This additional attack kills the rhythm and I likely lose the stun.

Do ubers have a reduced chance to be stunned? reduced duration of stun? 30% or something at MP10? I forget the numbers, I'm too lazy to check
Reply Quote
Even if you had enough IAS to beat the 35% odds per shot, I don't believe it's possible to get a perfect stunlock on an elite (ubers, elite packs, players) with a 1.5 second duration stun. CC resistance caps out at 65% which brings that 1.5 second stun to 0.525 seconds. The minimum CC duration on elites is 0.65 seconds, meaning any stun lasting less than 0.65 seconds will not be applied at all.

What would happen is you'll start firing and see the mob start getting stunned, it'll get more and more difficult to get a stunlock without gaps as your 1.5 second duration gets reduced more and more, and eventually you'll be unable to stun the mob at all until the CC resistance resets and the whole process repeats.

For 2 second stuns on the other hand, even at 65% CC resistance they still last for 0.7 seconds which, if you notice, is conveniently greater than the 0.65 second minimum duration on elites. 1.5 second stuns are mostly on relatively spammable skills like Bola, Impale, and Stun Grenades, while our only 2 second stuns are Cluster Arrow (high hatred cost) and Rain of Vengeance (has cooldown).

This is probably by design by Blizzard, they actually put some thought into the minimum CC duration threshold so the only skills that can truly stunlock indefinitely are those that are difficult (but not impossible!) to spam.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 2/6/2013 5:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Elemental with the lightning bolt rune can perma stun lock all ubers quite easily. Takes some getting used to target both targets in a line, but its just positioning.

Calamity, DML, bat, and hatred MOD means spamming hatred forever. Toss in bait the trap and decent crit gear and its perma stun lock. The issue with this build is your damage is really abysmal. Echoing traps and bola do WAY more damage.
Edited by Seeyle#1735 on 2/6/2013 10:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Perma Stun isn't needed to be effective. Who cares if they break the stun for a second, how much damage can they deal in a second.

If you can't handle losing stun for a second then you need more defense.

With my Manticore my AS is only 1.7 and I can maintain a Stun long enough to be very effective. The trick is to have enough Armor and Resists to take the occasional hit or 2 plus enough DPS to kill quickly.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 04:19 AMPosted by Slay
how much damage can they deal in a second.


It only takes a second for ZK to throw a fireball and 1 shot a sleepy player

It only takes a second for Maghda to shoot bugs

It only takes a second for Ghom to fart

And my favorite: It only takes a second for Siege Breaker to grab a player and scream in their face. Because when he gets stunned in the middle of this, he starts ALLL over again. ..because your stunning player doesn't stop or doesn't realize what's happening, the player grabbed is stuck in a retarded loop of screaming and stunning until the stunning stops and he finally throws him/her down. I got stuck in that loop for almost a straight minute because of two other bola stunning DH in my group.
Edited by Oscar#1292 on 2/7/2013 8:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Perma Stun isn't needed to be effective. Who cares if they break the stun for a second, how much damage can they deal in a second.

If you can't handle losing stun for a second then you need more defense.

With my Manticore my AS is only 1.7 and I can maintain a Stun long enough to be very effective. The trick is to have enough Armor and Resists to take the occasional hit or 2 plus enough DPS to kill quickly.
Only if your ehp is enough to stand and shoot thunder ball in front of MP10 uber bosses
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Oscar
your stunning player doesn't stop or doesn't realize what's happening, the player grabbed is stuck in a retarded loop


definitely everyone,
when you get lifted (since you are doing nothing anyway) message the group "I'm up, let me down"

they should at least see that blue text pop up better and switch to their hatred spender.
Edited by zoid#1554 on 2/7/2013 8:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Perma Stun isn't needed to be effective. Who cares if they break the stun for a second, how much damage can they deal in a second.

If you can't handle losing stun for a second then you need more defense.

With my Manticore my AS is only 1.7 and I can maintain a Stun long enough to be very effective. The trick is to have enough Armor and Resists to take the occasional hit or 2 plus enough DPS to kill quickly.
Only if your ehp is enough to stand and shoot thunder ball in front of MP10 uber bosses


You don't need that high of EHP to stand and thunderball in front of MP10 bosses, especially if you can maintain permanent gloom. I actually stand next to bosses so my shuriken cloud will also pluck away at their health too, which has the added bonus of also helping to keep my life up.

I have ~2.4 APS and I can't perma stun, but it is pretty close. Sure, it's nice to have perma stun, but there's nothing in this game that is so difficult that you need it.
Reply Quote
MP10 skeleton king pimp walk is pretty much death if you try to stand next to him and get an unlucky string of non-stuns.

At least it is for me with my 550 AR / 60k hp gear.

Siegebreaker for that matter with his scratching the ground isn't pretty unless I get some lucky dodges.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Seeyle
MP10 skeleton king pimp walk is pretty much death if you try to stand next to him and get an unlucky string of non-stuns.


Problem with this is that the WW will still continue to damage even if he gets stunned. Whoops.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Oscar
how much damage can they deal in a second.


It only takes a second for Ghom to fart

And my favorite: It only takes a second for Siege Breaker to grab a player and scream in their face. Because when he gets stunned in the middle of this, he starts ALLL over again. ..because your stunning player doesn't stop or doesn't realize what's happening, the player grabbed is stuck in a retarded loop of screaming and stunning until the stunning stops and he finally throws him/her down. I got stuck in that loop for almost a straight minute because of two other bola stunning DH in my group.


hah, I LOLd
Reply Quote
Only if your ehp is enough to stand and shoot thunder ball in front of MP10 uber bosses


You don't need that high of EHP to stand and thunderball in front of MP10 bosses, especially if you can maintain permanent gloom. I actually stand next to bosses so my shuriken cloud will also pluck away at their health too, which has the added bonus of also helping to keep my life up.

I have ~2.4 APS and I can't perma stun, but it is pretty close. Sure, it's nice to have perma stun, but there's nothing in this game that is so difficult that you need it.
Oh I didn't mean perma stun is essential also I fail to perma stun uber boss even with 3.2APS. I just tried to say if you need to get close to perma stun the boss you need to stand still and keep shooting and if you need to keep shooting you need high enough ehp to tank
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]