Diablo® III

dropping OWE

started making some AH purchases to work towards this. got some bids going.

wish me luck!!

what passive should i pick up??? choices, choices!!!
Reply Quote
What builds? A typical cookie cutter can use combi strike/guiding light to buff attack, exalted soul/chant for spirit regen, tgp/six sense for more dodge
Reply Quote
I started looking into this yesterday after purchasing a Witching Hour for what I felt was a pretty good price ... at 194 million. (oye)

So then I started looking at how much it would cost to switch to OwE totally. It's pretty daunting. Granted I included the price of things like new Nats boots and a new Vile Ward, which I suppose I wouldn't necessarily need ... but I still ended up at over 1 billion gold to swap over. And there weren't even any amulets similar to mine on the AH currently :/

I just don't know if it's worth it until/unless they make Passive changes. And then, thinking about it last night, they'd have to basically add/fix TWO great passives for it to be worthwhile. If they add just one, ok, now I've got my 3 set up.

I dunno, just very discouraging thinking about how much it will cost to drop OwE. Sigh.
Reply Quote
There is a Mara more superior than mine in AH with 2xx VIT, 9xCD+9.5%CC. price tag 1.4bil thou.
Reply Quote
My biggest issue with dropping OWE (other than the real lack of decent passives to choose in it's place) is that there's no good way to do it gradually. Half way through and you're at point where you have less defense than you did before, but not enough to actually drop OWE and be more effective without it. That might also have something to do with the replacement passives being underwhelming, so they don't really make up for OWE if you're not committed.

It's bad enough if you need 50M to 200M to upgrade one piece of gear. When that upgrade makes you weaker until you do ALL your gear, it's just disheartening.

Anyway Mojo, I wish you all the luck. I fear that as you replace mitigation with Vit, you're going to find that LpS isn't quite cutting it anymore. Let us know how it works out.
Reply Quote
Piffle, I was looking at this too, or rather should say that I have been for a while.

I also agree, that the freeing up of the passive, at least in terms of its value for what you gain, and what it can cost, it simply isn't worth just making a complete change all at once sometimes, especially depending on the quality of your existing gear. Seeing as how you're going to need 7 pieces minimum to break 600 (including int, and assuming the rolls are nearly perfect). You start considering where you want that to be rolled, and quickly the 11 pieces (non snb) that can have it starts to become fewer and fewer, or to get it on other pieces like you're seeing the price goes up (still keeping equivalent gear).

There are some passives that with 1.0.7 could end up creating some strong synergy with the incoming changes, and will certainly make not requiring OWE even better.

Though again, market availability, price, etc doesn't always make it worth it, better off picking up the pieces you can when you can, at the prices you want and make a more gradual change over a couple of weeks time.

The other aspect to keep in mind, dependent on gearing and how you obtain your EHP, post change to no use of OWE, could mean you've stacked more vit and lowered all your effective sustain figures. Just something to keep in mind.

Edit:
@Demi I think one of the gradual ways of doing it sometimes just requires that you have enough money to change w/o selling your current gear so you can continue to use your stuff until you pass the threshold you're talking about.
Edited by Enot#1820 on 2/1/2013 8:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
what passive should i pick up??? choices, choices!!!

Once I finished the switch, what I use instead depends on group makeup.

If I'm the only monk, overawe + beacon.
If I'm not the only monk, time of need + guiding light.

Usually its the latter though, which is nice because it frees monks (who I play with) who haven't dropped it yet, to have to not worry about either time of need or guiding light and focus on other skills. Like transgression or combination strike. In other words, you can provide the group with time of need AND guiding light without losing anything, whereas if they were to they would have to give something up (generally combination strike).
Reply Quote
Piffle, I was looking at this too, or rather should say that I have been for a while.

I also agree, that the freeing up of the passive, at least in terms of its value for what you gain, and what it can cost, it simply isn't worth just making a complete change all at once sometimes, especially depending on the quality of your existing gear. Seeing as how you're going to need 7 pieces minimum to break 600 (including int, and assuming the rolls are nearly perfect). You start considering where you want that to be rolled, and quickly the 11 pieces (non snb) that can have it starts to become fewer and fewer, or to get it on other pieces like you're seeing the price goes up (still keeping equivalent gear).

There are some passives that with 1.0.7 could end up creating some strong synergy with the incoming changes, and will certainly make not requiring OWE even better.

Though again, market availability, price, etc doesn't always make it worth it, better off picking up the pieces you can when you can, at the prices you want and make a more gradual change over a couple of weeks time.

The other aspect to keep in mind, dependent on gearing and how you obtain your EHP, post change to no use of OWE, could mean you've stacked more vit and lowered all your effective sustain figures. Just something to keep in mind.

Edit:
@Demi I think one of the gradual ways of doing it sometimes just requires that you have enough money to change w/o selling your current gear so you can continue to use your stuff until you pass the threshold you're talking about.

Yea, it's massively depressing to look through the current gear I have and plan out where I need all resist.

If you are aiming for 600 (tbh I'd rather be at 650, which is also what Jco suggested in that non-OwE thread the other day), you need to average 54 resist all on each slot to get there. Except, if you're like me, the odds of rolling a good Hellfire with a high RA roll is pretty slim. So let's be realistic and drop it down to 10 slots, or 60 resist all.

Do you know how much a good Witching Hour with 60+ resist all is? Or how much a good Nats ring with 60+ resist all is? Or how much a trifecta amulet with 60+ resist all is?

Ok, ok, so you'll get 70-80 on your Vile Ward. And you'll get 70-80 on your Nats boots. Let's call that 150. So now you need just 450 from 8 slots ...

Except that for Inna's pants, a Vit roll is definitely better. So now you need 450 from 7 slots, which is 64 each!

And what if you wanted to use a Tal Rasha chest piece? Well now you're either making the decision between AR vs dex on that piece ... or you're looking at 450 from 6 slots, which is 75 each!

Basically, you are forced into spending hundreds of millions on particular pieces AND/OR forced into making inefficient choices when it comes to EH (i.e. getting AR on pants instead of vit). And all of this to have LESS resist than I currently have. All for what? The ability to use Beacon of Ytar all the time? :/
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 2/1/2013 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Piffle

Yeah I can see how it can definitely be daunting for higher gear quality (at least compared to mine lol XD), thats a big part of why I looked into and ultimately chose to use 2pc IK's. But at the same time using it, at least with gloves under 500mish, won't get me to 200k let alone 150 or 120k dps most likely.

This conundrum is also part of why in that priority list I chose to factor in Litany's value so highly. Because it innately comes with a nice chunk of AR (in addition to really solid other offense+defense rolls) for those of us who aren't billionaires and can afford rare rings with trifecta AND AR.

I've done a lot of looking and playing with d3up, and the makeup of gear I'm using IS enough to push 200k, but the prices will be astronomical. Mostly because it will require using super expensive weapons. But I suppose thats anybodies requirement(s) for pushing obscene 200k+ dps totals.

I guess in the end the only solace I can give, is that it FEELS great once you finally are able to kick the OWE crutch out from under your monk. The hard part as you all have said, is actually getting to that point. But at least with the changes coming in 1.0.7, the thought of dropping OWE for something else (beacon, guiding light, exalted soul, etc) will only get better and more attractive with time.
Reply Quote
@Piffle, I honestly couldn't imagine going OWEless without a shield. 1000+ armor and 60+ AR there is the only way I'd every do it. Block chance helps a bunch, too.

@Enot
That's what I mean about not being able to do it gradually. Not that you have to buy the gear all at once, but that you have to replace them all together. You can't even sell off the pieces you have to make some money back.

Not that it would help much. I've looked into my "upgrade path" to dropping OWE. First step is replacing that 58 poison resist on my Tal Rasha chest with a little more AR. I could maybe get 25M for my chest, so I just need another 300M or so for that piece. (completely guessing here, but the costs to upgrade are insane.)

After that, maybe Vile Ward? Nat's Boots? I really don't know because at my current EHP I feel like I'm downgrading every time I trade mitigation for ANY amount of Life.

It's funny that you mention Inna's Pants, Piffle. They're particularly troubling. One of the ways that I can see myself dropping OWE would be if I moved to Inna's Chest and Helm with a really high quality rare pants. The problem: I think one of the best passives to replace OWE with is Fleet Footed! That one little conundrum, I think sums up the value of most Monk passives and the difficulties and cost of dropping OWE, and the minimal benefits of actually doing so.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 2/1/2013 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't know why you guys keep talking about dropping OWE. The devs have said multiple times that they're not going to nerf it, and as noted above, it costs squillions to regear properly.

For a real challenge, see if you can drop Thunderclap!
Reply Quote
Hong, thats not why we are discussing it, nor the reason why I believe at this point any of us, and others would want to be able to drop OWE. It has more to do with opening up additional options, rather than being anchored to using the passive. As of now, the weight for doing so is cost of items/availability to the benefit of freeing up a passive slot, imho.
Reply Quote
Now only you know the cost, I have my gear mostly for AR since I switched over to DH awhile, but even now I am looking to gear back to a monk with OWE. But I am hoping to be able to maintain both characters.

Simply put, If i sell my AR pieces for physical, I can EARN gold while upgrading my DPS simultaneously.

@Gotaplanstan

Really bro, no offence intended, but it is actually harder to gear out of OWE at 150k-180k dps compared to 100k dps, at Piffle's level to maintain the same EHP and DPS, he would need almost 1B to gear out of OWE.

To maintain that level of DPS, you are basically forced to used certain pieces, no BT/IK sets. To me it is not a crutch but a Super Monk Booster that allows us to reach Barb AR levels, and not DH 400 AR levels.

It is like paying 1B for err Beacon of Ytar. Hardly worth it IMO.
Reply Quote
Really bro, no offence intended, but it is actually harder to gear out of OWE at 150k-180k dps compared to 100k dps, at Piffle's level to maintain the same EHP and DPS, he would need almost 1B to gear out of OWE.

To maintain that level of DPS, you are basically forced to used certain pieces, no BT/IK sets. To me it is not a crutch but a Super Monk Booster that allows us to reach Barb AR levels, and not DH 400 AR levels.

this...just all of this

keeping OWE and STI forever ill play around with my third passive depending on my build
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Shade

I never said it was easy, did I? I also mentioned my paltry gear quality. Not sure the point in what you said.

Looking at this way is also the glass half empty mentality:
02/01/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Shade

Its not paying for a skill, its paying for CHOICES. Some people like not being forced into having fewer options.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 2/1/2013 11:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
To me OWE provides AH gearing choices. Not taking OWE takes away AH choices for the choice of sub-par monk passives. So it boils down to this: choice of gearing or choice of monk passives. Personally I would rather be able to gear better. I can choose AR/PR or even double resist if it is cheaper (ie VW/Nats Boots slots).

Anyway, if there is a OWE/STI just takes 2 slots, there is still the 3rd slot you know....

Just by switching the physical resist filter into all resist doubles the price range (some even more), or just puts it into astronomical range beyond my wildest dreams.

And if we follow the traditional monk gearing system. (inna's chest/pants/WH) etc etc, which is necessary to support higher DPS, the reasonable max AR you can achieve would be around 500, rather sub-par IMO.
Reply Quote
It took me a while to get all the gear and it cost a crap more than I thought...but I did it in hopes that blizz was going to give us more love this patch than ever before changing out passives. I'm not sure if it's viable yet.
Reply Quote
I don't know why you guys keep talking about dropping OWE. The devs have said multiple times that they're not going to nerf it, and as noted above, it costs squillions to regear properly.

They've said it's still on the table, just that it's not urgent.

Really the issue comes down to if they fix/add other monk passives. If we had something similar to Barbs where we'd get 3% lifesteal or 5% cc/50% cd or weapon master ... now *those* might be worth switching out of OwE for.

But Beacon of Ytar? Guiding Light? Combo Strike?

Meh.
Reply Quote

They've said it's still on the table, just that it's not urgent.

They also said that if and when they fix it, it'll be in a way that doesn't screw up people's builds. Which is basically what I said.
Reply Quote
I honestly don't know how they could change it so that it is no longer a "mandatory" passive and yet doesn't invalidate anyone's gear. I don't think it's possible.

And if they had any brains at all, they'd have looked at how many people are still using StI after it was nerfed and realized the real problem is not OwE, it's the other passives.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]