Diablo® III

Will Diablo3 Survive until the Expansion??

(Locked)

02/04/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Igoz
I'm sure Diablo 3 will survive until the expansion, The real question is will people actually buy the expansion after what the went through with Diablo 3. I know i'm not jumping on the first copy I think I will wait until some reviews are done this time.

I would be surprised if Blizzard sells half as many copies of the expansion as they did the base game. Unless the expansion contains a redesigned skill/rune system, hundreds of new, unique items, and an option to play a character that has no attachment to the AH so as not to have his/her drops influenced by the presence of said travesty, most people are likely going to wait and see what the player reception is like. We all know that major gaming sites will give the expansion an 80+ rating because they've gotta get paid, but players will give honest(albeit biased, most of the time) feedback.

Even if they did all that and 95% of players like it I still wont. If they redesigned many of the skills I wouldnt trust them. Look how bad they !@#$ed up the skill system and you expect them to do much better next time around? With how much they drag their feet it feels too much like a bait and switch. D3 was super hyped and I bought it. Only to come to find out I need to buy the "fixed" half for full price again? Fuuuuudge that. I hate dealing with car salesman and that is what BlizzActiVindi is in essence.

I like to pretend the story of D3 never happened. The heros all got Exiled in diablo 2 and the slave ship they were on happened to crash upon the shores of this dark foreboding place called Wraeclast.

I gotta give props to Blizzard on this thread though at this time. If they would have left stuff like this open instead of constantly squelching its players maybe the %^-*ing game would have gotten fixed.
I strongly believe this game needs Balance when it comes to items, characters and pvp.

More Info: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811542329
Alot of great replies to my question in my thread and i'd like to appriciatte everybodies comments and point of views, alot of you have good strong arguements and points while some have weak ones either way! Thank you very much for contributing! Hopefully Diablo3 survives and reaches its potential!
all I can say is if battle.net 2.0 gives us this PoS put us back to the old bnet so we can make or own chat rooms and give us the option to make games with game names
What's the approx time frame for the expansion? 2-3 years?.

I think it will make it with a few band aid patches here and there

:)
Good question...

I agree with the first 4 posts or so before i lost interest. Hmmm sort of like playing diablo III.

I still hope for the best though.
Edited by Poobah#1136 on 2/5/2013 9:53 AM PST
02/05/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Gardrell
Alot of great replies to my question in my thread and i'd like to appriciatte everybodies comments and point of views, alot of you have good strong arguements and points while some have weak ones either way! Thank you very much for contributing! Hopefully Diablo3 survives and reaches its potential!

I find it funny that your early posts were about defending the game. People would vehemently slam you at every turn. Now it seems that you're on the "hating on Diablo" bandwagon with the rest of the majority. Welcome, friend.

I always defended the gameplay and graphics but the item affix attributes // characters // 1% vs 99% items // pvp is all out of balance and i dont even want to mention end-game... horribad... put all this together with my op = double horribad...

"Hope" for "Better" = "Prepare" for "Worst"
Also, I'd like to add that I'm betting we will see an announcement and full blitz of expansion info at Blizzcon such that all of the talk/panels/q&a will have a much more positive vibe than just talking about patches and everything that went wrong in the first year.
02/05/2013 09:58 AMPosted by NeLLy
"Hope" for "Better" = "Prepare" for "Worst"

I try to love it like I loved d2 ladder I really do, but despite the obvious skill level of the developers its rapidly loosing my interest.

A game can be forgiven its poor game play if it creates lasting and compelling immersion. A game can be forgiven its lack of content and believability if the game play is fluid and competitive with other players. Great games have both.

D3 is a 3d engine in an isometric view, there have been so many isometric games to date that show much so more ambition then D3 and only have a fraction of the potential. It frustrates me that a design team with a such an obvious skill level showed so little creativity in execution.

The worst thing about it is I 'want' another ten years of a diablo game. I don't want it to fail.
Of course this game will survive... even if people dislike it I feel people will continue to play because of it's name sake. If and/or when the Expansion comes out people will be brought back but the top 1% of this game will make it hard for them to pick up the game, they will troll the forums and more importantly they will have soo much gold and price things they find so high that the newer gamers or guys/gals who have come back wont be able to purchase, thusly they will lose interest because they can't find better gear to upgrade their characters.
@DemonicD, exactly the strong history of the diablo franchise is keeping D3 alive i think...
You can´t change a game to the core when already millions of dollars were made ingame between players.

They actually can because as is stated in their TOU and any time you bid on an item in the AH's, "item properties and values may change over time due to game balancing." It's basically their game to change as they please. Obviously though, making such drastic changes within the current vanilla game isn't likely to happen because it's more of a psychological impact.

They could do it for the expansion though because of the expectation of change (more so if the premise is for better, more powerful, and character customizing items). Since at its core, it is all about math and logic, it's not out of the question they could write in a "legacy" layer such that when you convert your character to an expansion character, all of your previous gear will continue to work with the new core game system, but with it's properties converted over to the new itemization system. The only thing is since they are now legacy items, it would not acquire any of the new and advanced properties of the items that will drop within the expansion game world. And anything new that drops will basically obsolete what you currently have as it will be even better and more powerful.

The core question though is whether or not they will take the bold step to do that. For one, it entails a lot of fundamental groundwork akin to building a new game. Normally when games like this are done with the idea of an expansion (in D3's case, it's going to be two), basically the entire storyline and content for those expansions are highly conceptualized and some of it done in parallel along with the regular game. Sure, tweaks will be mandatory as the regular game is changed/balanced but basically, I would believe that part of that work on the content side has already been done. In that regards, expansions normally just build upon the current game systems and expose things which they've been implementing behind the scenes. From a design and development standpoint, the engineering resources (and thus budgeting) would normally be nowhere near as what went into building the main game. Diablo III however is going to be an interesting case because the current systems are fundamentally flawed. There is a real issue if they need to expend the programming resources (which adds to the expenses) in re-doing the underlying major core systems.

Basically looking at the MSRP of Blizzard's current expansion titles for WoW and SCII respectively, they are charging around 40 USD. So one can surmise this would be the ball park figure for the D3 expansion. It's kind of easy to see that a re-design will take a bite out of the profit margins. Knowing how the high level executives think about things like this, I think it will be a tough sell and that whomever takes over the D3 team will need to figure out how to deal with this. Obviously, they also don't have to make drastic changes because as I wrote earlier, there will still be a sizable portion of the player base who will buy the expansion regardless (though they will lose a portion of the original captive player base who originally bought this game due to the legacy of the previous two titles).
02/04/2013 06:31 AMPosted by NeLLy
Alot of great replies with good points.

BTW NeLLy, thanks for making this topic. Your original post has spurred on a surprisingly civil discussion with a lot of constructive thoughts from all different angles.
02/05/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Murasama
Alot of great replies with good points.

BTW NeLLy, thanks for making this topic. Your original post has spurred on a surprisingly civil discussion with a lot of constructive thoughts from all different angles.

Thank you Murasama, that was the whole idea and i wanted to point out why us veterans are disappointed with diablo3.

You are right an expansion has the ability to fix everything you mentioned
Hopefully Blizzard notices and thinks about improving D3s fundamentals so it can reach its potential because its obvious whats missing when you compare d3 to previous versions and thas why its been recieving so much negativity.
Our forums and community is horrible due to alot of people disliking everything because of being disappointed by blizzard in the direction they took with everything and especially RMAH. I like diablo3 even after being disappointed but its lacks End-game except PvP soon and blizzard should focus on making PvP be the best it can be in d3. Diablo3 has badass gameplay and graphics and it would be a shame for a game such as this to fail or some consider it already failed. Im very surprised i was able to fire up a good debate in this thread and keep ~Trolls~Spams~ away for the most part.

After all Blizzard encourages good constructive critisizm and ideas and not ~trolls~or~spams~ who only agenda is to talk down blizzard or others. I dont think there was any one who ended up being viewed as one of them in this thread.
I don't think it'd survive. They've been ignoring humongous amount of good feedback ever since closed beta. I don't think a miracle would happen.
02/05/2013 02:09 PMPosted by MisterAjikko
I don't think it'd survive. They've been ignoring humongous amount of good feedback ever since closed beta. I don't think a miracle would happen.

yea exactly, when d3 was in beta stages people critisized it and they ignored it and so i guess they saw this feedback comming from a long time ago. I strongly believe that blizzard has alot of incentive to fix its reputation towards us especially before Project "Titan", so diablo3 might be good after few more patches and an expansion but will it make it until then? who knows... i think alot of us are leaving either to PoE or like me back to D2 none ladder pvp.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]