Diablo® III

Will Diablo3 Survive until the Expansion??

(Locked)

Depends on what you mean by survive. If buy survive you mean, they made it to expo and sold a respectable amount of copies, then no. If you mean they make it til expansion and thats all, then yes. The RMAH has proven how much disposable income there is out there.

On the other hand, I dont expect more than 1mil copies sold...being generous, I know
things i loved about d2 and was excited to get back into:

1) rushing people or being able to provide other services

2) quick burst in-and-out MF runs (meph, pindle)

3) making tons of alts after I found a gear set for them. (farm farm farm, realize i have a complete fire sorc set and make a fire sorc for that gear).

4) baal runs (general full group quick-clearing a zone for tons of exp over and over. quick bursts where i can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 hours in a sitting and just farm these runs

5) hanging out in game lobbies and helping guildies

D3 ruins this by:

1) locking out characters from advancing beyond the single-player progression (can't enter hell until lvl 50, etc). Everyone is able to do anything they want immediately as they reach the task because the game won't let them be too weak for the area. MP0 is a straight shot with no gear requirement. There is absolutely no one ever asking for help with anything.

2) Farming is based on stacks of NV so there is no in-and-out, 2 minutes spent and then decide if i want to do another (I always do cause that style of farming is addicting as hell). All farm runs are 10-20 minutes minimum, they are never awesome and they never leave me wanting more because "damn I was so close to getting a stormshield that time, if only that monarch was unique instead of blue"

3) Infinite respec and 10 character slots (give me a break) eliminate alts. I have a 60 of each class which means I no longer value leveling gear. I no longer care about finding gear that is useful for future classes to make. I have no regrets on a build which makes me decide to reroll and level again.

4) Leveling is done solo. If you are grouped with someone, its someone you play with all the time and have a nice synergy with. You are hurting yourself a crazy amount if you group with strangers to try and level because they are only going to slow you down. There is no bonus XP for having more players in a game.

5) b.net 2.0 came out for starcraft 2 and blizzard actually said "No plans for specific chat rooms at this time. You'll be able to open up chats direct with your friends, and when we add clans and groups there'll be chats for your clans and groups, but no specific plans for chat rooms right now. Do you really want chat rooms?"

Do we really want chat rooms? Is this !@#$ing xbox? Of course we want chat lobbies. B.net games became the standard of online experiences because of the chat lobbies.

So we get these makeshift AOL TeenRage #15401 chatrooms that everyone is always in, completely take over a portion of our screen, and give no sense of connection. IRC offers a better chat experience. How did we go back so many years in online gaming communication? Where is my "/f m" to broadcast to all friends that I want to do a run? Where are the private chat rooms? Why did you make every effort to block any attempts at running a clan or team within the game and having a community of close-knit gamers.
Edited by generatedtag#1282 on 2/5/2013 11:09 PM PST

Seen it, this is why I give the development team such a hard time... especially Jay Wilson...

And looking at the SC2 HoTS expansion and all the killer stuff they are going to implement and have implemented since the launch of SC2 is amazing! Clearly a different, less peon like dev team. This is the perfect example for all the kids who say 'THERES NO MONEY IN IT FOR BLIZZ, THATS WHY THEY DONT UPDATE NO MONTHLY FEE' SC2 has no monthly fee, yet they update all the time, and implement huge things, and thats just one example of many titles....

^^^^^
WHOA WILSONS GONE? OLD NEWS? Lol, its like a week old! Wow, I guess they do listen to our griping, and they may ressurect the title after all

the only problem with your logic about sc2 not having a monthly fee is that its now an E-sport. it has tournaments and sponsors and is even being broadcast in bars. its making money after sales are finished and is, because of these, getting continuous exposure bringing in more and more players regularly. blizz still makes an income on starcraft 2. plus the expansion is anticipated because the game is great. its sales will do way better than a d3 expansion and will again generate a continuous income because of its competitive nature and design. even starcraft 1 is still making money. and its still played hugely.

I think this is why D3 was done so poorly.

WoW had its subscription fee, and SC2 already started with a guaranteed steady income in the form of tournaments, but what did D3 have? Nothing. They needed to monetize it as best they could. The RMAH was a no brainer, but how do you guarantee its continued use? Well get rid of all the variables, of course.

So lo and behold the stat/skill point system is scrapped, but then more variables got in the way. What if these pesky runes, and mercenaries got in the way of auction sales. Well, better get rid of them too. Hey, while we're at it, might as well put a cool down on potions so people die more often and have to dump more money into repairs. Oh dear, their complaining about repair costs a lot. Oh well, at least this justifies the presence of HEALTH GLOBES ON ITEMS....HAHAHAHA...SUCKERS.
Interesting point about the chat rooms.. why would we want chat rooms they ask?

Look no further than forum.. how many threads are out there that havn't been filled with some sort of hate, flaming, bashing, trolls, fanboys, etc.... zero. This is why chat rooms are essential to keep the people in it you want.

As far as the expansion.. ask yourself this... how long does it take them to make simple changes to the game? Were 9 months in, many people either accept the game has either gone completely backwards or moved forward slightly.

If it takes them this long to even address little things, how long do you figure it will take them to have fully functioning expansion pack with little bugs? How many people are realistically going to continually run Act 3 in hopes to get ahead?
I think this game is already dead, forget about dying. Between D3 and SWTOR, 2012 was the most disappointing year for gaming ( for me ) in recent memory. Two great franchises, two potentially great games, two huge flops.
things i loved about d2 and was excited to get back into:

1) rushing people or being able to provide other services

2) quick burst in-and-out MF runs (meph, pindle)

3) making tons of alts after I found a gear set for them. (farm farm farm, realize i have a complete fire sorc set and make a fire sorc for that gear).

4) baal runs (general full group quick-clearing a zone for tons of exp over and over. quick bursts where i can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 hours in a sitting and just farm these runs

5) hanging out in game lobbies and helping guildies

D3 ruins this by:

1) locking out characters from advancing beyond the single-player progression (can't enter hell until lvl 50, etc). Everyone is able to do anything they want immediately as they reach the task because the game won't let them be too weak for the area. MP0 is a straight shot with no gear requirement. There is absolutely no one ever asking for help with anything.

2) Farming is based on stacks of NV so there is no in-and-out, 2 minutes spent and then decide if i want to do another (I always do cause that style of farming is addicting as hell). All farm runs are 10-20 minutes minimum, they are never awesome and they never leave me wanting more because "damn I was so close to getting a stormshield that time, if only that monarch was unique instead of blue"

3) Infinite respec and 10 character slots (give me a break) eliminate alts. I have a 60 of each class which means I no longer value leveling gear. I no longer care about finding gear that is useful for future classes to make. I have no regrets on a build which makes me decide to reroll and level again.

4) Leveling is done solo. If you are grouped with someone, its someone you play with all the time and have a nice synergy with. You are hurting yourself a crazy amount if you group with strangers to try and level because they are only going to slow you down. There is no bonus XP for having more players in a game.

5) b.net 2.0 came out for starcraft 2 and blizzard actually said "No plans for specific chat rooms at this time. You'll be able to open up chats direct with your friends, and when we add clans and groups there'll be chats for your clans and groups, but no specific plans for chat rooms right now. Do you really want chat rooms?"

Do we really want chat rooms? Is this !@#$ing xbox? Of course we want chat lobbies. B.net games became the standard of online experiences because of the chat lobbies.

So we get these makeshift AOL TeenRage #15401 chatrooms that everyone is always in, completely take over a portion of our screen, and give no sense of connection. IRC offers a better chat experience. How did we go back so many years in online gaming communication? Where is my "/f m" to broadcast to all friends that I want to do a run? Where are the private chat rooms? Why did you make every effort to block any attempts at running a clan or team within the game and having a community of close-knit gamers.

yea, i liked similiar things about d2 my self.

the only problem with your logic about sc2 not having a monthly fee is that its now an E-sport. it has tournaments and sponsors and is even being broadcast in bars. its making money after sales are finished and is, because of these, getting continuous exposure bringing in more and more players regularly. blizz still makes an income on starcraft 2. plus the expansion is anticipated because the game is great. its sales will do way better than a d3 expansion and will again generate a continuous income because of its competitive nature and design. even starcraft 1 is still making money. and its still played hugely.

I think this is why D3 was done so poorly.

WoW had its subscription fee, and SC2 already started with a guaranteed steady income in the form of tournaments, but what did D3 have? Nothing. They needed to monetize it as best they could. The RMAH was a no brainer, but how do you guarantee its continued use? Well get rid of all the variables, of course.

So lo and behold the stat/skill point system is scrapped, but then more variables got in the way. What if these pesky runes, and mercenaries got in the way of auction sales. Well, better get rid of them too. Hey, while we're at it, might as well put a cool down on potions so people die more often and have to dump more money into repairs. Oh dear, their complaining about repair costs a lot. Oh well, at least this justifies the presence of HEALTH GLOBES ON ITEMS....HAHAHAHA...SUCKERS.

On top of that they use market swings and its very obvious to anyone paying attention. Notice how they "fixed" rubies in this patch. Yet the other gems for weapons are not fixed. They will fix them on a later date to ensure market swings on that day. They didnt make this game for player fun. They made it for company profit.

Edit: although health globes was a pretty good feature for the game IMO. I enjoyed them and it made the game pretty easy after I got enough HP and DPS cuz monsters ALWAYS drop them.
Edited by Dirtpoor#1202 on 2/6/2013 5:59 AM PST

This has confused me a lot, as to why D3 does not support this. Adding another player significantly increases the difficulty of the monsters, yet there is no reward for doing so. It seems like a no brainer. I suppose you could say it's an easy way for a leecher to level up in 2 seconds, but to that I say, who cares? My opinion is that it would simply give an incentive for more people to play publicly and socially.
02/06/2013 05:58 AMPosted by Vorador

This has confused me a lot, as to why D3 does not support this. Adding another player significantly increases the difficulty of the monsters, yet there is no reward for doing so. It seems like a no brainer. I suppose you could say it's an easy way for a leecher to level up in 2 seconds, but to that I say, who cares? My opinion is that it would simply give an incentive for more people to play publicly and socially.

D3 supports it exceptionally well. The best thing is individual loot drops. Instead of "all loot goes to the fastest and greediest bastard" that can easily happen in other games. :p

Adding another player only adds 70% to a monster's health, while adding 100% to your party's DPS and enables team aura synergy, enabling you to MUCH more efficiently handle higher difficulties, especially for ubers and keys.

Good players will also look out for eachother in hardcore, potentially saving your sorry !@# if you disconnect. :)
I just leveled 100 paragon with my Barbarian and now im part of a few who have leveled a 99 barbarian in diablo 2 and a 100 paragon barbarian in diablo3. Im right now going through withdrawal from diablo 3 because i have no motivation to play it anymore because its lacking end-game until 1.07 is out and then i can pvp atleast. As of right now im without any motivation to log on and play, lol... i might go check out this Path of Exile game to see what everybody is talking about.
Blizzard should sell the Diablo franchise to a younger, hungrier software developer who is willing to go all-out to make a great game that is addictive, not because of its name, but because of gameplay. Perhaps willing to gamble a bit, maybe tick off some of the public, but deliver a masterpiece in the end.

Sound familiar? Perhaps Blizzard, 12 years or so ago?
@Tally, sell it to who? I still think that Blizzard "Can" Fix these issues but i dont understand what the hold up is, i my self can come up with bunch of ideas and examples to fix this game in 5-15 minutes of sitting chillen and thinking. I dont understand why its such a problem to blizzard, are they not some college graduating innovative game designers? Cmon now Seriously??.... Do they want this franchise to die out on purpose? Or are they not allowing for Diablo3 to become a better game then WoW??? ****News-Flash***** Diablo3 already is better then WoW just by the Graphics and Gameplay compared to WoW but all the other apsects are lacking from Diablo3.
I dont know man.........

all i know is that Diablo3 has so much potential and it could of been or can be the best game Blizzard ever released. It has the Graphics and game play but now just needs important end-game aspects that keeps people grinding and playing the game while interacting and socializing with other random people. I mean Come on Its Obvious what this game needs, you dont need no Game Director to figure that out.
@Blizzard Dev Team, if they ever end up reading this thread. I dont mean any negativeness towards Blizzard or anyone part of the Blizzard team personally, but i just dont understand "Why"

Hi, whats up Blues? anyway Hear me out, this needs to be said!

What the ..... is going on with Blizzard these days? You clearly have let down every diablo veteran who was looking forward to Diablo3 being Released. You should be ashamed, why? because you know what Diablo3 is Lacking even when it was in its BETA stages people were critisizing this game for the exact reasons due to what its Lacking! Somehow you still end up beating around the BUSH never to hit the freaken thing and attack this game at its core and FIX this Failure. You keep giving us patches that dont resolve anything when it comes to Sense of community Atmosphere, Team play, end-game motivation to grind diablo3. Ok i'll give you PvP that will be the only end-game aspect of diablo3 and everything we do will ultimately lead to dueling at some point or another.

I dont understand what the Problem is when you know what is missing from Diablo3 and somehow you still dont do anything about it. Are you afraid that Diablo3 will be better then WoW? and there for downgrade WoW which is your main bread winner? Well **News-Flash** Diablo3 is already better then WoW Simply because of the game play and graphics but thats about it. How long will it take for us to get what we want, for us to recieve the most important Vital parts of any game that are the most important Aspects to keep any game alive over a long period of time. Take a look at Diablo2, its obvious why people play it even today after 15 years have passed since it was released.

Thank you alot Blizzard for absolutely destroying the Diablo Franchise, so many people have left or quit and alot more people never even decided to leave diablo2 to come to diablo3. Why? YOU KNOW WHY and somehow you still Dont do anything about it.

-NeLLy
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 2/6/2013 7:21 AM PST
a better question:
Will enough people be dumb enough to shell out more money this Cash Grab for Bliz?
Not I, no sir. feel stupid for spending the initial 60

Not everyone does, for example. My account is 100% Legit account, i never used any real money or anything that gains me an advantage over other players to achieve what i have achieved so far in the game. RMAH is there for those who do not have so much time to invest in farming the game and have an avenue to upgrade their characters.
02/01/2013 09:32 AMPosted by NeLLy
gut out its insides and replace them with a strong foundation that is well constructed around a sense of community, team aspect, actual ability that allows uniq character builds and always keeping in mind that end-game aspects of diablo3 are very important.

Create a Well Constructed foundation

gut out its core and replace it with a Well Constructed Foundation

First of all, Nelly, I did not know English was your third language, so...in all seriousness, good work on getting it so well. There are many folks who can't say the same, but try to sound intelligent in a foreign language anyway. So good work on that, no joke.

To get to your point here, though...you mention gutting this game and installing a "well constructed foundation." You say you're 27 and you know the franchise, well, I'm 32 and I know the franchise too, and I like D3 far better than previous installments.

So I guess that means we come down to YOUR definition of "well constructed foundation." If you mean, stat point allocation and skill trees, truthfully, you're looking in the wrong direction. For one thing, even the hyped PoE doesn't use formal stat points, it sticks to a passive grid that was RIPPED out of Final Fantasy X. For another thing, the whole fact that people like D2 because skills trees provided "consequence" and "complex decision making" was all circumvented by people power-leveling each other in short periods of time.

Granted, I guess that plays into your points about "community," but that's not a service people should be engaging in with each other. If anything, they should farming together and comparing gear. Unfortunately, because so many people gear up with the Auction House, farming and grinding becomes as easy as pie, it gets to be routine, and people either don't like it or they just do it till they max their Paragon level and suddenly...are left with no endgame content! Big surprise, ;-)

Honestly, if people just took their time with this game, went slow, and built characters from the ground up without the help of the AH, they'd see not only a world of possibilities open to them as far as gear goes, but they'd realize that there's already a decent amount of content present.

Bottom line...it's not that the game is lacking content, it's that most players blast through the game way too fast. They kill their enjoyment of the loot hunt by shopping in the AH, they faceroll ubers on MP10, and then feel unfulfilled by the lack of direction. Yet, if they just took their time, geared up organically with drops, early-game vendor buys and crafting, MP10 and defeating ubers effectively would be WAY farther off, and they'd have much more to play toward.

I do agree that more endgame content would be great. I also agree that this game could use more community, better social features, and a more interactive online experience. Truly, I do agree with those sentiments. But most of the problem comes from people wanting to be godly SOOOO bad, they insist on buying their way to the top.

Think about it...if everyone has the same gear on (like your Barb, for example), is there any real reason to compare? Everyone would just have on the same gear for the same exact reasons...

But if everyone was wearing gear they FOUND, there would be a lot more to discuss. People would have questions to ask..."how is that extra intelligence working on your Monk?" "Are you getting any results from the extra thorns damage?" "How high is your Life Regen?" These are questions not being asked, because most people who get their gear via shopping deem them worthless.

In a nutshell...community isn't created just by making a lobby. Community comes when EVERYONE is enduring the same hardships. And if even a slim majority is using the AH to circumvent any difficulty this game could provide...that "community"...well...ends up about as negative as this one.
D2 problems: Hacking, duping and getting scammed by traders and services.

D3 less problems: Everything above.

But, you pretty much play at your own risk.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]