Diablo® III

Zoltun Kulle - one vastly misunderstood man.

Never posted in here before but I enjoy the story of D3 a lot and I just wanted to point this out.

Even though Zoltun Kulle is given the voice of a sadistic demon...his goals really aren't so terrible. He's trying to free man from its involuntary involvement in the never ending war between Heaven and Hell. Yes, I realize that he goes to some considerable lengths, albeit evil in nature, but I really feel like he's not as bad as the other villains in the story. I mean, he almost immediately knows about Leah, "I wonder if your friends know what you truly are." He recognizes Tyrael as the savior of man, and the embodiment of justice, "Whatever else he may be..." He encourages the Nephalem to rise above their petty tasks. He's just not so bad. And as SOON as he makes good on his word (which he COULD have broken as soon as he regained physical form), the Hero kills him... I don't know, I just feel as if he had potential as an ally.

Oh, and on a terribly unimportant/insignificant note, the Hunter's Journal Part 3 says that each step was "harder than the next." By that reasoning, he and his comrades should have had no problem getting through the Vault of the Assassin...I mean, if each step is easier and easier.... lol, probably just a goof in story writing.

Thanks for reading this, haha.
Reply Quote
I always got the feeling Kulle attacked you and sent his golem things after you once you disagreed on him ruling the world/nephalim ruling. Also, he wants to be the king of all the world and destroy anyone who could get in his way as master of the world so he can subjugate the humans. his whole "I can raise humanity beyond angels and demons" comment may be true, but only with him at the top of the food chain. He is too power hungry and dominant, clearly he would have just become a twisted dictator turning people into his puppets. No better than manipulations from angels and demons imho.
Reply Quote
Yeah. He's one of those really nice mass murdering guys that wants to conquer the world and be the master of the Universe. ;)

Also, destroying Heaven and imprisoning all of the angels just because Imperious was an A-hole isn't justifiable either.
Reply Quote
28 Undead Warlock
I wish he didn't die, Kulle was a fun bad guy.
Reply Quote
I never really understood why we killed Kulle. If Kulle had stated "join me or die" or something like that I'd understand. But from my perspective, the hero just jumps him, even when Kulle warns the hero that his allies have betrayed him.

Not sure if I'm stating the obvious, but Blizzard probably drew Kulle from Prometheus from Greek Mythology, who against the will of the Gods, gave man fire.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 03:16 PMPosted by TehHypocrite
I never really understood why we killed Kulle. If Kulle had stated "join me or die" or something like that I'd understand. But from my perspective, the hero just jumps him, even when Kulle warns the hero that his allies have betrayed him.

This is what I was getting at. It just seemed a bit...quick... It's like, "Yeah, I disagree with you..which means, DEATH!!"
Reply Quote
I always got the feeling Kulle attacked you and sent his golem things after you once you disagreed on him ruling the world/nephalim ruling. Also, he wants to be the king of all the world and destroy anyone who could get in his way as master of the world so he can subjugate the humans. his whole "I can raise humanity beyond angels and demons" comment may be true, but only with him at the top of the food chain. He is too power hungry and dominant, clearly he would have just become a twisted dictator turning people into his puppets. No better than manipulations from angels and demons imho.

Keep in mind it is the player who attacks kulle, not the other way around. Also, your logic amounts to "I got a bad feeling about him so i killed him". What the hell, he helped us and warned us of some very real backstabbing going on.
Reply Quote
Kulle was referring to you and not Leah when he wonders aloud whether the others knows what you truly are, i.e. a nephalem. Leah leaves for town before Kulle even says this.
Reply Quote
Never posted in here before but I enjoy the story of D3 a lot and I just wanted to point this out.

Even though Zoltun Kulle is given the voice of a sadistic demon...his goals really aren't so terrible. He's trying to free man from its involuntary involvement in the never ending war between Heaven and Hell. Yes, I realize that he goes to some considerable lengths, albeit evil in nature, but I really feel like he's not as bad as the other villains in the story. I mean, he almost immediately knows about Leah, "I wonder if your friends know what you truly are." He recognizes Tyrael as the savior of man, and the embodiment of justice, "Whatever else he may be..." He encourages the Nephalem to rise above their petty tasks. He's just not so bad. And as SOON as he makes good on his word (which he COULD have broken as soon as he regained physical form), the Hero kills him... I don't know, I just feel as if he had potential as an ally.

Oh, and on a terribly unimportant/insignificant note, the Hunter's Journal Part 3 says that each step was "harder than the next." By that reasoning, he and his comrades should have had no problem getting through the Vault of the Assassin...I mean, if each step is easier and easier.... lol, probably just a goof in story writing.

Thanks for reading this, haha.

Zolten Kulle may have begun with the best of intentions but somewhere along the line he became twisted and sadistic, eventually desiring power for its own ends than to use it to save humanity.

We see where he started going wrong when he had to justify an incorrect position by rationalizing that the one vote to kill the humans was the same as if there was some massive public outcry in heaven calling for human blood.

But there wasn't. There was only a single vote cast to kill all the humans, 2 votes not to kill all the humans and 1 abstaining vote. 1 single vote to kill all the humans, and that 1 vote was Imperius who in all likelihood would have also voted to annilihate all the lesser angels too because let's face it, Imperius is a rapid dog. So that one vote can hardly be thought of as representing the majority of angelic opinion.

And if you go back and think about Kulle's aspirations you will notice that he didn't build the black soul stone to capture all 7 of the main evils, he only built it to capture a couple of demonic/angelic souls which he could then use to further his own power. While he attested that this power would be used to fight the angels and demons he never once presented a plan for how exactly this power was going to be used to stave off the great threat as he perceived it. Indeed he suggests to the player's character when no one else is watching that he will be able to use the new found power he will gain from the soul stone to turn you into a nephelem just like him if you will only look the other way.

He goes on to explain that the research that went into creating the black soul stone took a lot of sacrifice, and the suggestion is that it took a lot of human sacrifice for which he shows absolutely no remorse. The suggestion that Kulle sacrificed a lot of lives to create the black soul stone is reinforced by the dialogue you hear while gathering all the parts needed to resurrect Kulle where the Horadim went to such great lengths because they were very angry with him. Why were the Horadim so angry? Because Kulle killed a great many of their number to create the black soul stone.

Kulle isn't trying to save humanity from the angels and demons, he is trying to supplant them.

And to address two more points, Kulle shot first.

"I wonder if your friends know what you truly are." This was addressed to the player and not to Leah. Kulle had no idea that Adria was playing everyone for saps. But he did know that the humans were originally Nephelem, something which all of the humans have forgotten and now worship the Nephelem as gods (Akarat), and assumed that the player like the rest of humanity was unaware of this. Kulle wanted the player to believe that Tyriel knew the truth and wasn't telling the player the truth because Tyrael was using the player and was afraid the player wouldn't help him if the player knew the truth. This all leads us to believe that Kulle really isn't a nice guy because he tries to turn the player against Tyrael so that the player will help ressurect and then ally with Kulle against Tyrael. But we as the player with out of game knowledge know that Tyrael in fact is the one who is in the right in this instance.
Edited by Shahadem#1174 on 3/3/2013 3:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Kulle felt like a misunderstood scientist for me.

It was like he was working with stuff that the church declaired witchery but it was actually science that could help mankind.
Reply Quote
Something about Kulle reminds me of Kel'thuzad. Fun bad guy.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
An illusion of Zoltun Kulle in Act IV claims to have gotten a raw deal, that we (player, follower, Tyriel, Adria, and Leah) had used him for our own ends and thrown him away. This accusation rings true.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Zoltun Kulle remains one of my favorite characters in Diablo III, I think in part because he likely believed himself to be the misunderstood "hero" of his own story.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
he always reminded me of Hitler that looks like Rasputin.
Reply Quote
I wish he Zultan kulle didn't have to die as well. I enjoyed him being around. So what if he wants to rule the world. He lived up to his side of the bargain. Why can't he live???
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Zoltun Kulle remains one of my favorite characters in Diablo III, I think in part because he likely believed himself to be the misunderstood "hero" of his own story.

Just to clarify, so how did he become immortal and what exactly is his immortality (he regenerates or what)? Going further, are we done with him or did he survived meeting with us?
Edited by Matius#2913 on 11/6/2013 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I hope he survived!!
If I could have been given the choice to side with him against the angels AND demons, I would have taken it readily.
Reply Quote
Kulle was a rascal.
Reply Quote
kulle, no doubt, a great hero, he saw the true intention of haven and hell, none of them care about humanity, but their own interest. But pity that there no option to choose to join the plan of kulle, no matter what Kulle want to achieve. It is quite clear that Nephalem perform great power than demon and angel, also it is the time for Nephalem to end the eternal conflict by wipe them out. but now, Nephalem is only the tool for angel to maintain the balance of Haven and Hell, and set the main battlefield in the world of humanity - far away from their home. I feel good that Diablo set his foot to haven and let the angel trembling for help.
Reply Quote
All angels (except Tyrael, but he became 'human" eventually, so whatever) want to kill Man and Demons.
All demons want to kill Man and Angels.
So Man is wrong to kill Angels and Demons?
In the world of Diablo 3, there are no "good guys" for humans, so why did we attack Kulle, but let Imperius live eventhough the intentions of Imperius in relation to Man was worse than Kulle's? lol...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]