Diablo® III

15" Retina MacBook Pro video performance

After installing the patch today the game is barely runnable on my computer. My FPS is around 10-15 even with my display settings turned down. Prior to the patch I was running at full resolution and max settings with decent FPS. Is anyone else seeing this problem or have a fix for it?
Reply Quote
I'm experiencing the exact same thing, the game isn't playable after installing the patch. a fix would be nice?
Reply Quote
Ben; did you manage to find a fix?
Reply Quote
We are hopeing that this patch will fix this or me be a little more upset :) :( AARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Reply Quote
I also am experiencing this problem!

EDIT: I run a 15 inch MBP with Retina Display. 2.3ghz model with 16gb ram, I ran it FLAWLESSLY on max graphics with 35+ FPS constantly. Now I'm down to 10-15, the only way it's smooth is if i drop all the way to low graphics on all fronts.
Edited by Hashem#1915 on 2/15/2013 7:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm also having the same issue. - try 8 FPS
Reply Quote
The only fix i have found for in game is to put the screen resolution to really low and all the graphics rendering to low. The game then is functional but looks like a POS. The Mac OS if ALT-TABBED is still completely slow and almost to a point of crashing.
Edited by Lyrick#1638 on 2/21/2013 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
having the same problem with my rMBP too

Blizzard need to do something about it !!
Reply Quote
Yeah, same thing with me, massive fps drop since update. This needs to be addressed asap.

Edit:

Just tried restarting my mac then running it again, and there was still no improvement with the frame rate.
Edited by Shadow#1691 on 2/16/2013 12:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm experiencing the same issue.

Retina, Mid 2012
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.8.2

It is consistently 12-15 FPS no matter what setting I use unless I turn it al the way down with no detail enabled where it goes up to 33-60.

I even tried rebooting and same results.

Please help.
Reply Quote
I opened up a ticket:

MacBook Pro Retina 15' Graphics Overhaul from update 1.0.7 - Crawling

Since the latest OSX update on the Retina 15' Mac Book Pro + the release of 1.0.7 - Diablo 3 will not run correctly without 2 second delays on character input display, mouse movement, and running D3 slows the entire machine to a crawl, and makes the game completely unplayable & the OS un useable while it is running and minimized. FPS -8

The only way to play the game right now is if i put the resolution in game to the lowest resolution possible and all the graphics effects to low (the min amount). When the game is ALT-TABBED even on these low settings, the OS crawls almost to a crashing speed.

What happened? I was running just fine prior to this update!

Next Reply:

Hello Lyrick,

Thank you for getting back to us. If the performance issues you are seeing are not related to the know issue that the previous rep described then we will need to go through some other troubleshooting steps to try and clear these up.

Please have a look at the following link. Please go through each of the steps listed and see if that make any change to the slow performance and drop in frame rates you described.

http://us.battle.net/support/article/6180

If you have any questions about this or any other issue, feel free to reopen this ticket. Thanks and have a great day.

Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.battle.net/support

Edited by Lyrick#1638 on 2/18/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ran into the same issue and also thought that the latest patch broke my game. Turned out to be another problem, though:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6606352204
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4382269?start=0&tstart=0

Resetting your SMC is what you might want to try.
This appears to work around an OpenGL bug which affects game performance in a negative way. As long as Apple doesn't provide a fix, you might have to perform the SMC reset every time your performance drops.

• Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

(Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964?viewlocale=de_de)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Is repeated resetting of SMC have any negative effects on the system? Just a little nervous.
Reply Quote
This won't hurt your mac, but i tried this and it did not solve the problem. =/

It makes me sad I can't play the game except on horrible dreadful settings :(
Reply Quote
Same here. Noticed that my fans won't go over 2000rpm.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Resetting SMC resolves problem a lot, especially with fans not working correctly or GPU running slow, especially on 10.7 and 10.8 (which retina's ship with). If problems still persist afterwards, I'd suggest checking to see if maybe something is just amiss, such as bad hardware or fan or thermal paste (perhaps have an apple store look at it, it should be free under 1 year free warranty from apple on new hardware if you take it now. Additional time if you got apple care)
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'll get with our team on this to see what other factors are a miss, since SMC reset didn't help out.
Reply Quote
I am having the same problem. I cannot read text in the game and it looks like crap. I have reset SMC and PRAM both several times. it didn't work at all.
Reply Quote
Any general OSX support will be greatly appreciated.

This density patch is the best thing that happened to D3. I have been slaying millions of demons and enjoying it very thoroughly, however the game drops to 2FPS. While I see my EXP bar increase, I don't actually experience the game play.
Reply Quote
Granted, I'm running Retina MBP boot camp Win 8, when I hear a sharp drop in GFX performance like you describe, it almost sounds like the game isn't causing your graphics card to auto-switch from integrated to discrete.

Have you tried installing a utility like gfxCardStatus and checking to make sure your GeForce is being used?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]