Diablo® III

TESO the end of Blizzard?

1st off I'd like to state that this is NOT a troll or fanboy thread... Just posting what I feel and predict will happen. Yes I have always loved Blizzard games since the 1st warcraft was released in the 90's and even more warcraft 2 so I am a big fan of Blizzard games but the way Diablo 3 was released and handled really gave me 2nd thoughts on Blizzard titled games.

I played Vanilla WoW and sold my account just before the 1st xpack was released... And a smart move it was... Banked $800us for a single Orc Hunter with full t2 and endquest bow on a pvp realm.

If Blizzard made one realm a vanilla only, I know for sure that it would fill up very quickly and honestly that's something I would pay monthly for.

Now this post isn't about WoW, it's more about Diablo 3... A lot of people were really disappointed with the way it was released and even the conditions the game still is in. A lot of people quit long ago and will never come back, many have even canceled their WoW subscriptions because of the let down Diablo 3 ended up being.

I honestly stuck around, I liked it, not sure why, but it was a good time burner for me I guess. And yes when 1.0.7 comes out I will be back online finishing my paragon leveling then probably log out again until something happens and the game is fixed if that even happens..

Onto the title,
Yes PoE and TL2 came around and guess what, both of those have their strength and weaknesses just like D3 dose BUT soon enough The Elder Scrolls Online will be released(Dated to be released this year) and the Blizzard franchise is going to be in some serious trouble. I don't think Bethesda has yet to release a over hyped game that turned out horrible at release.

Feel free to add your concerns and thoughts on this.
Reply Quote
blizzard's rich it's not the end. as for their future RPGs no thanks. Also, their company is aimed towards more casuals these days than intense gamers or hardcore players. not saying it's bad but, pretty much where it\s headed.

edit: it's bad for me as a fan of blizzard since i'll no longer look to them for any kind of challenge or hype of a game. Their RTS department is the only thing I have left going w/ them. they screw that up and it's literally blackflag every Bliz title in my books that's filled with cheques and money.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/3/2013 1:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
TESO success is definitely NOT guaranteed. Just like Diablo 3 and Star Wars : The Old Republic it is already weighted by high (probably unrealistic) expectation even before its birth. Sorry about this, but your post is actually one prove of this.

People praise Path of Exile to the sky before even it launched, as the D3 Killer. Now, after it is launched as you say, It got its strength and weakness. Since PoE income come from micro transaction, I kinda doubt the aspect Play to Win wont touch the game eventually. We all have seen lots of game with micro transaction system, how many of them stick with ONLY makeup/cosmetics on their store ? at least we know what we can expect from RMAH one or even three years later.

I suggest to stop predicting another game as the end of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 will end when there are no more patch or expansion coming. Patch is around the corner, and expansion is confirmed as coming.
Edited by Squeal#1221 on 2/3/2013 2:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Labathor
The Elder Scrolls Online will be released(Dated to be released this year) and the Blizzard franchise is going to be in some serious trouble.

Why in the world would you think this? I hope it wasn't based on

02/02/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Labathor
I don't think Bethesda has yet to release a over hyped game that turned out horrible at release.

I mean, Blizzard had a spotless record until last year right? Besides, Bethesda Software is the publisher and Zenimax Online Studios is developing it. Zenimax has not released any games (TESO will be the first) so there's no history of magnificence there as a developer. Bethesda software isn't flawless either with their published games.

Perhaps you're thinking of Bethesda Game Studios who developed Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. They're the ones with a history of consistent excellence but they're not the ones developing TESO.

I realize these these companies are subsidiaries of Zenimax Media who does own several developers with a history of great games. They aren't flawless nor are they impervious to releasing mediocre or even bad games. I said it before in another TESO thread which is still on the front page of this slow moving forum.

01/26/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Ringo
I'm certainly looking forward to it, but not going to buy into any hype and I suggest everyone else try to do the same. You'll just end up disappointed :)
Edited by Ringo#1617 on 2/3/2013 4:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Squeal
Since PoE income come from micro transaction, I kinda doubt the aspect Play to Win wont touch the game eventually. We all have seen lots of game with micro transaction system, how many of them stick with ONLY makeup/cosmetics on their store ?

For starters GGG and PoE are independently owned and operate out of New Zealand. The benefits of this is they have REALLY low operating costs with wages being lower in NZ. They’ve already funded a bulk of the expenses associated with game development in getting the game to Open Beta. Now they need a business model to sustain and improve PoE… $2 million per year should be plenty… and they received way more in their 9 month closed beta. Plus they’ve now garnered a loyal fan base who will support PoE as long as it remains true to it’s origins. 50,000 players contributing $40 every 12 months will give them $2 million per year… which is definitely achievable.

Finally, PoE will be GGG’s only title. They don’t want to create other titles, just the best ARPG that can sustain itself for 10 years (or more).

BUT soon enough The Elder Scrolls Online will be released(Dated to be released this year) and the Blizzard franchise is going to be in some serious trouble. I don't think Bethesda has yet to release a over hyped game that turned out horrible at release.

Feel free to add your concerns and thoughts on this.

I’ve only played Skyrim and loved it (despite the bugs). I will definitely look at it when it comes out, but my concerns are more about the MMO genre in general. There are so many options out there now I can’t see any ever reaching WoW proportions again. If SW:TOR with Bioware at the helm of the greatest franchise available can’t manage it… then what chance do others. That being said WoW will never reach it’s heights either… it was the right product in the right place at the right time. Even F2P doesn’t allow MMOs to be huge. Whatever TESO is Bethesda has to make sure it nails the following: fresh quality gaming, financially attractive to consumers, and socially engaging for consumers. Bethesda do release some ‘buggy’ games though, which could hurt it, and I am not sure if TES series of games that have come before it will be a Pro or Con: players will be familiar with the world etc from previous games and might want to see that in TESO… but then again players might think “Meh… been there and done that”.

Blizzard (BTW isn’t a “frachise”, but a company… Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo are franchises) will be fine. No doubt WoW is on the decline, but so many players have invested so much in the game that they won’t let it go for some time yet. Starcraft will remain strong as a leading eSport around the world. Diablo is the biggest disappointment and the number of players who bailed (what about 90%?) within 6 months. There is nothing they can do to fix D3 to lure even 10% of those players permanently back. An expansion might lure some back, but I doubt most would pay for it. The best chance they have of saving the Diablo franchise is a total new D4. Aside from that Blizzard has Titan in the works which will be huge IMO.

One thing is for sure TESO needs to be a subscription MMO, even if it is at a lower price point ($5-$10 per month). It will also be interesting if TESO will be a cross console MMO… if they managed that then IT WILL BE HUGE!!!

My .02

TL:DR – PoE will be financially fine, Blizzard will be fine (Diablo won’t be until D4), MMOs are old news, TESO on consoles would be PURE WIN.
Reply Quote
View profile
ESO isn't going to "kill WOW". It's aimed at a totally different audience. The developers even said they aren't aiming for the "WOW crowd". They are doing some really interesting things with both the server design and the game itself though, to the point where I am "cautiously optimistic" (that doesn't often happen with new MMO's). I'm certainly going to check it out, though probably not at the very beginning.

Most of WOW's problems are a result of being TOO big and TOO popular, and I really hope that doesn't happen with ESO. It has potential. And people need to realize that MMO's do NOT need 10-12 million players to be successful. Prior to WOW, MMO's were successful and profitable with 200k subscribers. Also, Zenimax is a privately owned company. They do not have any shareholders to answer to, so they can pretty much do what they want, as they are developing the game themselves, and Bethesda is publishing it (Bethesda is a subsidiary of Zenimax btw). The game is ENTIRELY theirs.
Reply Quote
ESO sounds interesting, I am also cautiously optimistic.
On a side note, Smed is touting EQNext like its gonna be the best thing since sliced bread.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:33 PMPosted by Plutarch
Bethesda is notorious for releasing super buggy games that CTD often. I'm not holding my breath for this one.

I've never had a CTD in any TES game that wasn't from conflicting mods. That's not to say I'm ignorant of others having issues with the games, I just never did. Yay me.

I'm assuming we're talking about Bethesda Games Studio here (TES and Fallout 3) and while New Vegas was made by Obsidian, it did use the same engine so we can lump that in there too. In spite of their buggy games, I wouldn't really hold it against them. Those were all persistent open world games in which you could pretty much go anywhere, do quests in any order (with few limitations such as the storyline quests), talk to any NPC you want (or ignore them). It's hard to catch all the bugs even on linear games so when you start adding in variations it gets harder and harder and takes more and more time to bug test. Even when you find a bug it can be hard tracking down what exactly triggered it since there's so many variables to go through.

In any event, they're not the devs for TESO :P
Edited by Ringo#1617 on 2/5/2013 4:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
The only thing that will kill world of warcraft is Blizzard. There doing a pretty good job of it to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]