Diablo® III

Which book should I read first?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these boards - my name is Fianna, I'm 26 and I live in Northern California. In the past I had watched countless hours of friends playing D2 and played a little bit myself although never really got super into it although was/am still a huge fan.

I just received the D3 Collector's Edition this last Christmas and I love it! However, the storyline, plot, and some of the terms have me a bit confused since I didn't play through the original Diablo at all and never got through much more than Act II of D2. I went on Amazon to see if there was any literature pertaining to Diablo, and,

I HAD NO IDEA there is such a wealth of novels, Kindle books, and literature related to the game! I ended up buying...

"Diablo 3: Strategy Guide, Limited Edition
BradyGames"

"Diablo III: Book of Cain
Deckard Cain, Blizzard Entertainment"

"Diablo III: The Order
Nate Kenyon"

"Diablo III: Heroes Rise, Darkness Falls
by Blizzard Entertainment (Nov 27, 2012) - Kindle eBook"

Aside from the game strategy manual, which of these books would anyone recommend I read first? Also, any other titles that might be helpful would be appreciated. So anyway, just wanted some feedback into getting more involved in the background story to the game.

Thanks,

--Fianna#1694
Edited by Fianna#1694 on 2/7/2013 2:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Glad to have you onboard Fianna ! I'm Rain, (or Patrick...) 27!

Its nice to see new faces who are interested in the Lore.
I find the Lore very very rich and deep. You need to read between the lines, its awesome.

"Diablo III: Book of CainDeckard Cain, Blizzard Entertainment"
"Diablo III: The OrderNate Kenyon"

I own both these books and for Lore purposes, i'd go with the Book of Cain.
I recommend both books, in all honesty. The Order is more about what happened to Leah after Diablo 1 and the struggles of Deckard Cain. Its more of a "story" per say.

The Book of Cain is just filled to the brim with history and information, its almost like an enceclopedia (however you spell that, i'm not english.) :P

If you have any questions feel free to ask them on here, i'll keep an eye on this forum.
I will also add you as a friend in the game.
I have a passion for the Diablo 3 Lore, enjoy!
Reply Quote
Well, I believe that what matters is the games. The original medium for the product. Some time ago, Blizz decided to release some novels telling official story, but to me, it always felt like a Star Wars novel telling who's a character that only plays a minor role in one of the movies.

So, I haven't read any of those books.

My advice would be to read the original game manual, the manuals for Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction, and the little piece of lore we get in the Diablo 3 manual.

You'll get all the lore you need right there.
Reply Quote
A lot of the lore is also in the D3 journal entries you find. The optional dialogues with the main characters (Cain, Leah, etc.) also contains essentially a crash course on the lore.
Reply Quote
Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
And thank you Rain, for your two cents! I like peoples' idea of reading the game manuals and such but I've really been dying for more than just that, a deeper view and more detail to the story. The books I'd ordered that I listed above came today. I really like how The Book of Cain has faux parchment style pages... Very neat! Is there ever anything worth reading in the fanfiction section?
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Fianna
Is there ever anything worth reading in the fanfiction section?

On the boards, maybe. I do wish they'd post the Blizzard Writing Contest finalists for us to read, and not just the winners. On general fanfiction sites like FF.net...it's probably not worth picking through all the chaff.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]