Diablo® III

Why are items on the AH like 10 thousand billion gold..

02/08/2013 06:28 AMPosted by Jolly
In this thread, players with 40k+ elite kills forget how hard the game blows before you find your first big item.

hmm im less than that.. but i think i got good items
Reply Quote
hmm im less than that.. but i think i got good items

You do! (And a nifty build, too).

What I'm trying to say is, the haters forgot what it was like when they had 1200 elite kills. They forgot how it felt to slog through Alkaizer and Vault runs with 12k dps and no gold.
Reply Quote
man those were the days... but i think the trick will always be save up for one big item.. than buying a lot of small ones..
Reply Quote
Problem with the 1 big item purchase is that, depending on class and where you are at currently, it can cost anywhere between 100-300 million (discounting 'godly' items).

For example, if i wanted to upgrade 1 item on my DH for more DPS and still maintain the same level of resistance (because I don't like getting 1 shot) it would cost me around 100 - 300 million easy. Coming up with 100-300 million is not easy when you're not winning the RNG lotto often.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:05 AMPosted by CyberGoat
I have never found an item that would sell for hundreds of millions, my top is 40M, then 16M... than nothing.
Really? You've got a Nat's ring with +Dex and +Vit with 4% crit.
The lowest on the AH is 120m for a similar ring.

Oh, but yours ALSO has 11% life.
The closest is a 3% life with +Dex/Vit and 4% crit... and it's 600m!

You literally have 0 right to complain.

Good day, sir.

Why do I have 0 right to complain? That I have that ring doesn't mean I found it and neither that I overpaid like that. That there is a similar one for 600M doesn't mean that somebody will actually buy it. I bought it off the AH and guess what, it went for less than 120M...
Reply Quote
The point of an auction is to find real value of something but it would appear that nobody knows how that's to be done. I can look on the auction house and have some clown put up a pretty mid range piece for a few hundred million and then mirror those stats in the search and find other pieces for a few million. I think the real issue here is the belief that the highest priced items are the best when there is better ones out there for less.

Op I hear ya about the gold issue to play this game solely on solo and not play the auction house like a stock market. Your going to make far less gold never be able to make radiant star gems and maybe see one piece of gear that's worth anything ( my highest has been 4 mil for a wand on open auction).
Reply Quote
I never went with the NAT ring because it was always to high. Even the cheapest one was over 100 million. I searched for weeks until I found the rings I'm currently wearing on my DH. It was both being sold for cheap (one was 6 million and one was 10 million) since everyone was ignoring them and just looking at the Nat's ring. Now look at the prices...they've spiked up and there's no way I would pay for them at the current price

For the OP, unless play the Ah game for hours a day looking for some sort of a bargain, you're going to get stuck and unable to change gear. You may not need all the 'cool' gear to kill stuff but it does make an argp an argp.
Edited by Growingcow#1906 on 2/8/2013 8:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bascially you trade one item for another, gold is just an in between. Point being, you shouldnt be able to buy something with gold you find in game, you should only be able to buy something if you also sold something of equal value. Think about it, if you buy something with gold you find, but never sell anything, you're kinda ripping the seller off. What good is gold to the seller if you dont then put something up for him to spend the gold on? Basically prices have to keep rising until sellers are only selling to other sellers--you know, even trades.

So theres two ways to think about it. One point of view is that only its fair prices be so high that only sellers can afford to buy from other sellers since that basically means even trades are happening. Another point of view explains how that happens. Think of this, in the AH you have to basic groups of people, (1) the group who only buys (2) the groups who buys and sells. The group who buys and sells just give money back and forth to each other so they're total money would stay the same, add that to the money they got from people who only buy and they're total money goes up while the buyers total money goes down. To make matters worse, the people who buy and sell lose items to the buyers (sold it to them) whereas the buyers who never sell get more and items that they never get rid of. Net result is buyers have a surpless of items and sellers have surplus of gold. Eventually the sellers say "screw this, I have all this gold but not enough items, if you want anymore of my items, well I dont really need gold, so it better be a hell of a lot to make it worth my while".

In short, prices are so high because of all the buyers out there who refuse to also sell. If they actually contributed and sold as much as they bought prices would come crashing down.
Reply Quote
also helps if the value of gold wasn't so deflated
Reply Quote
When more and more players start getting so much gold (cept me; I'm broke), gold is going to get useless as it was in D2 - and it got useless really quickly then.
Reply Quote
The only real things that have been said in this thread is

"Bad players never save moaney and spend what they have just to gain little DPS or little resistances, so each next upgrade costs more than the previous but there are many and many upgrades in order to reach what you could have reached if you saved the money"

and i put myself in there too.

As for the other things. total BS. Stalk the AH for hours upon hours? Nop. Most players just ceck it regularly and find something good. You have to be psychotic to hit search again and again for hours.
Also, i call BS on 10m budget for 100k dps. This is only true if you want to hit 100k then die one shot because you have 200ar or 20K hp.
My barb costs 100m and has 100K dps but can play mp8 and not die (he is not killing anything, but he doesnt die either).
Personally i never had more than 40m but i am ok with that. I have to farm more and paly more. I am sure that after hours upon hours (weeks upon weeks etc) i can turn my lcu around and have that 1b. Having that much of a money in a game is not a priviilage. It's something you have to work for OR get lucky. And i am fine with both cause interestingly enough that is how life works.
Reply Quote
Complaining about how long it takes to gather wealth, then complaining about how boring the game is when you have it. Go figure.

Things are too expensive? do what I do, settle for %1-5 less then perfect stats on any item, then strive for perfection, which is ment to be difficult.

Or dump $100 + on rma, then see how fun the game gets.
Reply Quote
The only real things that have been said in this thread is

"Bad players never save moaney and spend what they have just to gain little DPS or little resistances, so each next upgrade costs more than the previous but there are many and many upgrades in order to reach what you could have reached if you saved the money"

and i put myself in there too.

As for the other things. total BS. Stalk the AH for hours upon hours? Nop. Most players just ceck it regularly and find something good. You have to be psychotic to hit search again and again for hours.
Also, i call BS on 10m budget for 100k dps. This is only true if you want to hit 100k then die one shot because you have 200ar or 20K hp.
My barb costs 100m and has 100K dps but can play mp8 and not die (he is not killing anything, but he doesnt die either).
Personally i never had more than 40m but i am ok with that. I have to farm more and paly more. I am sure that after hours upon hours (weeks upon weeks etc) i can turn my lcu around and have that 1b. Having that much of a money in a game is not a priviilage. It's something you have to work for OR get lucky. And i am fine with both cause interestingly enough that is how life works.

While I agree with most of what you say, I do check the AH quite often if I'm playing the game. Yes it's silly but if you're 'psychotic' enough you'd be surprise at what may pop up with a low buy it now option. Now I'm not saying it always happens but (from my experience) I have better luck with the AH than with the RNG.
Reply Quote
a lot of items overpriced because sellers and buyers dont have a convenient way to find the fair market price.

Add the ability to search recently sold items. 2-4 weeks of data. Buying and selling becomes much easier.

It is so ridiculously easy to price items correctly with the tools available and minimal effort. The AH does not exist in a vacuum. I do not understand why people have difficulty with this.
Reply Quote
Nah, you can get good items at reasonable prices. The best items are usually overpriced on the AH, tho.
Reply Quote
RMAH is the reason.
Reply Quote
Look at OP hes paragon 7. Obviously you haven't been playing much so stop !@#$ing QQing and play the game.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:28 AMPosted by Jolly
In this thread, players with 40k+ elite kills forget how hard the game blows before you find your first big item.

Yeah, but that's the way it's supposed to be. That's what makes it so satisfying to pass that stage. If you don't like it, you either quit or take out your credit card. Whining, however, isn't a way out...
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 02:18 AMPosted by Dranity
like seriously its redicioulous, in order for me to get some good items to play with it cost so much that it would take years to build up for one of the,..

Don't worry, your wealth grows exponentially when you progress. You already have 7mil w/ 1.5k elite kills, which is more than average. When you have 5x the elite kills, you most likely will have over 10x the gold. Do try to look for godly items. Try to have a speed farm build first. There's lots of info on this forum how to gear up each class with what skills to do Alkaizer runs. Study that and start farming!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]