Diablo® III

What to look for in Calamity

Guys, my weapons are seriously gimped.

I'm not really fond of slow weapons, so I decided to get me the Calamity + DML combo (I'd rather go DW, but I need the DPS boost).

What stats should I look for in a Calamity? Whats the minimum DPS should it have?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Really? what ever you can afford.

What SHOULD you have? By that do you mean what is the BEST possible weapon?

I suppose a 1350+ DPS Calamity with 100% Crit chance, 11% IAS, +50% Weapon Damage, 45% Chance to Mark target, and an open socket with a Radiant Star Emerald (this will probably change soon to Ruby).

That'll cost you a few Billion, but i think you'll prefer to have something GOOD.

1200+ DPS with 80%+ CD, 49%+ Weapon Damage, 11% IAS, and an open socket. TBH, the Mark chance is relatively meaningless, you'll hit the targets enough to pretty much target whatever you're drilling into.

That will probably run you between 200-250M.

If that budget is too high, go for 1150+ 47% Weapon Damage, 80% CD, open socket, that'll cut your total by almost 50-100M.
Edited by Oscar#1292 on 2/2/2013 7:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
^this.

You want highest dps you can afford, take mine for example.. pretty low @1025dps, but.. compared to a 1300dps no socket with similar stats.. i only saw an 11k dps boost.

So..

Highest dps
OS
attk speed 10% or higher
45% weapon dmg or higher
crit hit dmg, as high as possible 80% is great

Then for now drop the highest Em in it you can.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys, I'll look into it!
Reply Quote
^this.

You want highest dps you can afford, take mine for example.. pretty low @1025dps, but.. compared to a 1300dps no socket with similar stats.. i only saw an 11k dps boost.

So..

Highest dps
OS
attk speed 10% or higher
45% weapon dmg or higher
crit hit dmg, as high as possible 80% is great

Then for now drop the highest Em in it you can.

Do you use the Madrussian name in other game mediums? Like ps3?
Reply Quote
Hey madrussian,

I was looking over your gear, i was wondering what your dps is? on here it shows something like 220k.

but on diablostat dot com it shows you at 121k.

i know sometimes diablo stats can be abit off, but wanted to know cause if its 220k thats pretty good.
Reply Quote
He's using sharpshooter.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 01:08 AMPosted by fathom
He's using sharpshooter.

^This, i was messing with SS.
without SS i think it's at like 139k now.

@gotaplanstan Nah, it's not me. lol.
Edited by MadRussian#1151 on 2/3/2013 2:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you're looking for a pretty high-end calamity, I have one for sale.

"1262.7 DPS
10% attack speed
270min
326max
+49% damage
74%crit damage
1.28 hatred regen
34% chance of Mark of Death
OPEN Socket"

Only 1 previous owner, old Granny who used to take it to the shops once a week^^

Looking at a price of around 400-425m though subject to negotiation and current AH prices.
Reply Quote
I bought mine for 128m three days ago on the AH for your reference:

1190dps
49% dmg
83% crit dmg
open socket
21% MFD (but again like people said, this procs often enough on ubers and elites)
Reply Quote
Why does the %DMG matter? What's the difference between a lower %DMG with higher MIN/MAX roll? I'm just curious because that wasn't something I cared about when I was looking for my Calamity.

I know MFD is pretty much always on on ubers and elites, but isn't it a little bit relevant to get that initial MFD hit on the target? With low MFD chance it's going to take several hits before that first MFD proc hits. Not as big of a deal of course as the DPS, CD, and socket but I would think it still has some relevance.
Reply Quote
What to look for in a calamity? Just look at mine lol.

A high MFD is good for pvp, for not so much against ubers.
Reply Quote
Why does the %DMG matter? What's the difference between a lower %DMG with higher MIN/MAX roll? I'm just curious because that wasn't something I cared about when I was looking for my Calamity.

I know MFD is pretty much always on on ubers and elites, but isn't it a little bit relevant to get that initial MFD hit on the target? With low MFD chance it's going to take several hits before that first MFD proc hits. Not as big of a deal of course as the DPS, CD, and socket but I would think it still has some relevance.

the %damage affix is good for you if you look into using a ruby ... new calculations show it will take the ruby 's values for min/max and multiply it by the %Damage.

A Marquis Ruby is +150/150

If you have a calamity with +50% damage then your ruby is now +225/225 and added at the end of the weapon damage calculation.

If your %damage is 40% on a marquis ruby you would end up wth +210/210
Reply Quote

the %damage affix is good for you if you look into using a ruby ... new calculations show it will take the ruby 's values for min/max and multiply it by the %Damage.

A Marquis Ruby is +150/150

If you have a calamity with +50% damage then your ruby is now +225/225 and added at the end of the weapon damage calculation.

If your %damage is 40% on a marquis ruby you would end up wth +210/210

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still wondering if a ruby is going to be better for me since I'm running 71% CC. It definitely was before the nerf, but I don't know if the sites are updated with the new calculations.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 10:44 AMPosted by Merlin
Why does the %DMG matter?

It doesn't. Originally the +150 modifier for a marquis ruby was added to the base min/max which is calculated before the enhanced damage modifier. That meant for a black weapon with 50% enhanced damage, a ruby was essentially +225/+225. The change to max could be even more if the adjusted min went above the base max.

But now with the revised marquis ruby, the +150 modifier will be added the same way to black weapons as it is for elemental weapons. That is, it will come after the enhanced damage modifier. You can read the details here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7810050948
Reply Quote
@fatum I don't think that is true.

the examples they gave wasn't incorporating the +damage%

Look on PTR forums. It appears your base DPS is not changed but what is happening with the ruby is min/max is multiplied by %damage and added at the end of the calculation.

in previous PTR versions it was adding a lot more than the numbers at the end (like elemental is). It was totally changing the max minimum value where as now it doesn't. There are some good charts on the PTR forums showing this.

As a for instance... if it was straight 150/150 my dps goes down over 8k dps
previously in PTR a 150/150 gave me +34k dps
Latest in PTR shows %dmg is multiplied by ruby value and added straight to ending values of min/max (like elemental is). this shows a dps increase for me right at 8k

My Non-Crit range from 17884-36603 to 24590-43310
My Crit Range changes from 91385-187041 to 101066-178003

As you can see my non-crit range goes up on both the low end and high end.
My Crit range gains over 9k on the low end of the Crit Range and loses ~9k on the high end.

One can say this is a wash ... gain 9k on one end and lose 9k, In my situation avg crit is a wash (difference is about 300-500 dps difference the 2 ranges)
Edited by BubbaGump#1297 on 2/4/2013 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ok, that's good to know. From their example, it sounded like the bonus was added after enhanced damage, because the weapon damage range shown on the character sheet is after the enhanced damage is already factored:

As another example, you have a “black” physical damage weapon that does 300-450 damage. If you insert a Ruby with +80 Min / +80 Max then your weapon will do 380 – 530 damage.

If the bonus is still modified by enhanced damage but no longer increased by the weapon calculation bug, then enhanced damage is still important and will be a major factor in whether a ruby is worthwhile over an emerald.
Reply Quote
Mfd procs a ton even in the 20s

Do not base your purchase on that.

I found mine, so wasnt about to picky about how much mfd it has on it. But it constantly procs.

Good luck ive always used a one hander even before i found my calamity.

Ill never have the higest dps because that belongs to manticore users. But imo its fun as hell, love the speed.

Everyone knows, speed kills :)
Reply Quote
Does the Hatred Generation matter? Do you really see a difference between a low generation (1.18) and high (1.3)? If you have lower base DPS, but high CD and Open Socket + High DMG multiplier, would that be better than say, High DPS, but lower CD/Multiplier?

Not sure how the mechanics work. I found this one tonight and not sure if the Max weapon speed + max Hatred Gen + almost max CD/Dmg X makes it more desirable or not

http://i50.tinypic.com/35hoguh.jpg
Reply Quote
If you can't get one with a socket, get one with high Dex.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]