Diablo® III

What to look for in Calamity

Does the Hatred Generation matter? Do you really see a difference between a low generation (1.18) and high (1.3)? If you have lower base DPS, but high CD and Open Socket + High DMG multiplier, would that be better than say, High DPS, but lower CD/Multiplier?

The issue with a fast weapon is the Hatred consumption. Hence I use Chakrams because of the low Hatred cost given my attack speed.
Reply Quote
Why does the %DMG matter? What's the difference between a lower %DMG with higher MIN/MAX roll? I'm just curious because that wasn't something I cared about when I was looking for my Calamity.

I know MFD is pretty much always on on ubers and elites, but isn't it a little bit relevant to get that initial MFD hit on the target? With low MFD chance it's going to take several hits before that first MFD proc hits. Not as big of a deal of course as the DPS, CD, and socket but I would think it still has some relevance.

the %damage affix is good for you if you look into using a ruby ... new calculations show it will take the ruby 's values for min/max and multiply it by the %Damage.

A Marquis Ruby is +150/150

If you have a calamity with +50% damage then your ruby is now +225/225 and added at the end of the weapon damage calculation.

If your %damage is 40% on a marquis ruby you would end up wth +210/210

Holy crap. I'm liking what my calamity will be once I get my hands on one of those Marquis rubies :)
Reply Quote
@Ring

Envious of your Calamity .. Izzzzzza Super sexy one... d@Mn!
Reply Quote
@Ring

Envious of your Calamity .. Izzzzzza Super sexy one... d@Mn!

Bro it was a costly one. I pretty much swapped a 6cc mempo just to get this baby. I guess it's worth it now :)
Reply Quote
So I managed to grab a hold of a Marquis ruby to test on my calamity, unfortuantely it wasn't the 225/225 i was hoping. Unless there's still a bug in the PTR regarding calculations.

http://imgur.com/934b5ri
Reply Quote
Actually, it was the 225/225 you were hoping for.

Lets look at the calamity's

Pre Ruby: 500-1055 Damage
After ruby: 724 - 1280

That works out to 224-225 dmg added?

If you're currently online, I'd love to see your bow/pre and post ruby in the flesh (to compare dmg with my build).
Edited by Menlyn#2964 on 2/7/2013 11:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Menlyn
You are right. I was looking at the wrong places. I was just expecting more dps i guess. d3up made it look like i was gonna get a 32k boost and now thinking maybe they havent made the right calculation fix yet.
Still better than having an marquis emerald on it. I'll login later today and add you.
Reply Quote
not sure if d3rawr nor d3up have remodified their calculations yet ...

under the old calculations your bow DPS would have jumped to close to 2000 dps... now with the revised ones.. it looks just about right in the 1700s .... probably still a 8-10k dps gain if not more depending on your gear?

on a related note.... I do have my old 1174 dps w/OS calamity for sale if there is interest by OP or anyone else.
Edited by BubbaGump#1297 on 2/8/2013 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
not sure if d3rawr nor d3up have remodified their calculations yet ...

under the old calculations your bow DPS would have jumped to close to 2000 dps... now with the revised ones.. it looks just about right in the 1700s .... probably still a 8-10k dps gain if not more depending on your gear?

Nope they haven't. They made me salivate on the new numbers lol.

9k boost from Radiant Star Emerald to Marquis Ruby
13k boost from Radiant Star Ruby to Marquis Ruby

I'll try to farm for a Marquis Emerald plan. I used to have 2 before they wiped it lol.

Good find on your new Calamity. Congrats! The new ruby made the Calamity a very hot item.
Edited by Ring#1441 on 2/8/2013 8:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah ... same here Ring. I was going to get a 34k dps boost using the old calculatons... now a 8k boost. But still with me looking at the numbers I still think this might be a good way to go especially if using sentries as it really helps raise the non-crit dmg range.

for me it raises my non-crit range min/max by 7k and for crit range it increases my crit min by 9k but then I lose 9k off the high end crit range. In a sense it shrinks the crit range down with almost no change for me (less than 150dps difference) on avg crits.
Reply Quote
I tried running using Spitfire Sentries with Ballistics and it seems to have made my mp7 runs much faster. Sentries never crit so the raw dmg boost can be felt. This is promising.
Reply Quote
Thanks.

On a rough sim (i just edited the weapon damage)... it appears that a marquise ruby will give me a 16k dps boost vs my current rad star emerald.
For comparison's sake, the marquise emerald gives me about 4k. Still a worthwhile upgrade, but not the 40k+ I was seeing earlier lol.

Note: I probably run less cric chance than many top DH's, as such, I seem to be gaining more from the ruby upgrade, than say someone with more CC who'd be making more of the CC provided by an emerald.
Reply Quote
@Menlyn this would be correct.. the lower the CC the more you get out of the RUBY itself.

there is of course that balancing act where you can potentially swap more CC for ASI for better APS but if you are using things like NS for disc regen you can't let the CC drop too low or there would be issues with permagloom
Reply Quote
I'm thinking hard about lowering my CC to get more dex/dps. Using calamity and archery I get 71%. I know you can never have enough CC. Is this a good idea?
Reply Quote
@Ring

I would look not just from a dex perspective but look at +avg_damage on rings and amulet similar to what you have on your Deft Source ring.

higher APS Builds benefit a lot from extra damage such as the marquis ruby. On my normal build (think my profile currently shows only my low mp farming gear) all rings and amulet have +avg damage affix on them which for me is way more beneficial over CD. I don't remember what piece of jewelry I was comparing on my own profile but with my setup the avg dmg on that one piece was equal to over 60% CD. and if memory serves it was on a ring. So avg dmg + high ias = very good. This might be an option to look at this affix over simply adding dex and reducing CC.
Reply Quote
The key point is, that all dmg modifiers are multiplicative.

With that it mind, it's better to balance your attributes (AS, min/max, CC, CD) rather than focusing too much on one or two at the expense of the others.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]