Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

I've deleted my OP here to maintain focus on the problem. It seems too many people got side tracked by the gong-show style I was displaying it. I'm going to summarize it in a few statements:

Some people HATE the AH. Some people LOVE the AH.

However, here's my problem:
- unbound items makes us BOTH happy, it doesn't harm AH haters at all.. salvaging remains an option
- BoA items harms the people that love the AH

It seems the option that makes both groups happy would be the better one.

Also, as I've mentioned many times, BoA has no effect as a gold sink.. crafting itself 'sinks' whether you sell it or not. The only difference is, you can trade (gain gold at the expense of someone losing gold) with unbound items. Given there's more motivation to craft in that sense, it would actually work as a better sink if unbound, too.
Edited by Lammy#1905 on 3/11/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Kulle story, bro.
Reply Quote
"Lammy: You know damn well that we all want BIS items, and now this huge gold sink is just going to force us into farming just to pay for the materials. There is less 'choice' here than you let on.. everyone is going to have to do this to improve their character."

Wow, ...do you have any idea what you are talking about?
Reply Quote
you don't have to use it if you don't like it. its completely optional content

i mean: are you 500k dps /500k ehp yet? plenty of top players as seen on diabloprogress already have reached that level without any of these account bound items. so I hardly see why they are mandatory.

so not mandatory = optional

I mean, really, its just a matter of perspective.

all ways to gain items are just a form of lottery. if you are lucky, you get it from farming. if not you get it from crafting. if you don't like the cost of crafting (I personally think there should be zero gold cost,), then don't use it.

but consider it as a way to get guaranteed 6 prop i63s, I don't see whats so bad about it when in normal farming only a subset of gear you pick are 6 prop.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/2/2013 10:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Lammy
Yup, I do. Let me explain: You can't get BIS items in some slots unless you craft them now. Do you really think that's NOT gonna cost you a fortune? I mean, as a Wizard, I could generate the BIS for a Barb or a DH several times before I get one for myself.

Why is that a bad thing exactly?

You either make crafting useful by allowing characters to make powerful items, or you keep the system where it is make spending money on leveling your Blacksmith worthless.

These items in 1.0.7 still will not trump a found item if rolled correctly.

They have the potential to be BiS. That does not mean that they are automatically BiS.

You can either craft items, or you can farm for them. I'd personally rather have both options.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
"Lammy: You know damn well that we all want BIS items, and now this huge gold sink is just going to force us into farming just to pay for the materials. There is less 'choice' here than you let on.. everyone is going to have to do this to improve their character."

Wow, ...do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Yup, I do. Let me explain: You can't get BIS items in some slots unless you craft them now. Do you really think that's NOT gonna cost you a fortune? I mean, as a Wizard, I could generate the BIS for a Barb or a DH several times before I get one for myself.

Is it really such a sin that I could sell the item to a DH or Barb? Blizzard seems to think it is.

Lammy, you're totally making up what the D3 developer is saying. In fact, they stated VERY clearly why the items are account bound, and it's not to make your life miserable, lol.

If crafted items AREN'T account bound, then what will happen is that crafting will suck, because the AH will be flooded with them and you will always be able to buy them cheaper by playing AH other than actually playing the game (like, killing monsters... you DO enjoy killing monsters don't you).

Making them account bound means everybody gets to enjoy the game more, instead of the AH. So no, the idea isn't stupid. The words you put into the developer mouth are stupid. They actually know what they're doing with this one. :)
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 10:35 PMPosted by Lammy
Like my OP stated, if the BIS item relies on crafting, then it's just an illusion of choice. Most of us will attempt to craft to get that beautifully rolled item.

AFAIK the only items that are BiS from crafting that CANNOT be found are Amulets and Rings.

There is only an illusion of choice if one trumps the other.

As far as any other item is concerned, you can get a BiS item through either method.
Reply Quote
Imo Blizzard didn't fix the crafting problem but just added to the mess.

I would have hoped for less prices in crafting due to the massive RNG and also bring in level 63 rare items (not these account bound ones). Also the crafted legendary/set items suck, it should be players upgrading the legendary/set plans up to level 63 and then have the ability to choose which item level to craft with the gold/crafting materials being relative to what the item level would be.

Then again the legendary/set itemization is really poorly designed as in some categories it would be impossible to beat the legendary/set item with a crafted rare.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Lammy
I am claiming that while there are a few benefits to it (helps the economy and pay 2 win), there is more harm to it that affects those that will feel obligated to farm this game to death, then quit, because of how this mechanic works.

What point is there to play a game if you can pay money and beat it right out of the box?

I thought the entire point of a game was to play it?

The real issue is when the time invested does not equal the expected reward (Which is the case in this game) where you have the "illusion of choice" to either spend 1,000 hours hoping for a drop, or shelling out money to buy gold so that you can buy that expected drop on the Auction House.

$10 spent buying gold from someone vs 1000 hours spent farming the game. Saying there's an actual choice there would completely contradict your entire argument as you naturally gravitate towards the path of least resistance.

Which in this case would be to mow your neighbor's lawn, spend an hour flipping burgers, or whatever you need to do to make $10.

I can be pretty certain that you will spend a greatly shorter amount of time earning $10 than you would playing a game for 1,000 hours.

With the new crafting system, you only need to spend a couple hours farming up the crafting materials to make a single item.

Or, if you want to go with your route, just buy everything save the Demonic Essences on the Auction House and craft them in a shorter period of time.

Making an argument based on "Illusion of choice" then stating that you would rather just buy something on the Auction House makes the entire statement a stark contradiction of itself.

The only way to make the game balanced in this aspect is to balance all 3 methods of acquisition so that they all take the same amount of vested time. (Which is practically impossible)

You still have a choice, just the new changes don't coincide with your preferred method of procurement.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 11:53 PMPosted by Lammy
You argument here is exactly the problem. So what if someone wants to pay $10 rather than play the game? Who are you to say they should have to play 1000 hours rather than spend the $10?

No, you're misunderstanding the point behind the statement.

It is largely easier to make $10 than it is to spend 1,000 in game. I'm not saying that they should do either or. I'm saying that it is easier to shell out the money, so naturally playing 1,000 hours would be a fruitless way to invest your time.

My point is, give people the choice. I am of the opinion that most Diablo fans have always accepted the non-binding economic model, and changing that is only risking losing more players than it will keep.

Except it is giving players a choice...

Crafted items should really never be BiS. They should be EQUIVALENT to what you can find in a drop. Vice versa.

The only difference is that in order for crafting to be lucrative, it would have to mean you would invest the same amount of time farming as you would crafting items.

If I have to craft 100 items to find a great item, vs 1,000 drops to find a great item, it should be able to craft an item after every 10 drops.

If I get 10 drops in a 10 minute span of playtime, it should take me 10 minutes to farm the reagents to craft 1 item.

The problem right now is the invested time is completely imbalanced.

This problem with binding is exactly why people stopped playing WoW, and the same reason people will stop playing D3 if it's implemented here too.

There have always been bound items in WoW. I imagine people would quit WoW for the same reasons I have. Because they're bored with the game.

The same reason I rarely play D3. I'm bored with the game.

If the system is not broken, don't change it. I'd hate to see a game die because of one very poor decision..

The system is broken largely because there's no reason to remove items from the economy. A perfectly rolled item will never leave the game.
Reply Quote
Crafted items should be tradeable. No brainer, really.
Reply Quote

The fundamental problem is that the items I am crafting are BIS. If they were 2nd BIS, then it's really my choice to craft it. I just don't feel that I should have to rely on crafting solely for something that's BIS. It both costs me too much gold, and contrary to some people, I actually ENJOY shopping the AH for good gear. Why deprive me of that OPTION?

You DO have an option. And the fact that crafting are BiS is actually what gives you the option. If crafting was "2nd BiS" then there would be no reason to craft at all, just buy from AH for cheaper and guaranteed better.

I enjoy shopping on the AH for good gear too, but think about it, what do you do when you've bought all this BiS gear... people are complaining that farming is unrewarding because they can't really find anything better than what they have. By making account bound BiS items, people STILL can improve their gear even if they've bought all this awesome gear from AH... by actually playing the game. How can that be a bad thing? :)

It's not like the crafting items are automatically BiS... they have a small chance to be BiS. So your OPTION is there, you can get guaranteed good items for much cheaper in the AH, or the best items if you devote enough time to playing the game. As it should be, imho. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]