Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

I know I'm late, but wouldn't the bad D3 player be against account bound gear? If account bound gear was better than regular gear, the bad player would be at a disadvantage. The bad player would want to buy gold or items, but it would do little good with account bound gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/02/2013 11:03 PMPosted by Drothvader
[quote="78099590746"]I am claiming that while there are a few benefits to it (helps the economy and pay 2 win), there is more harm to it that affects those that will feel obligated to farm this game to death, then quit, because of how this mechanic works.

What point is there to play a game if you can pay money and beat it right out of the box?

Your argument in this entire post IS exactly what is wrong with this game.
Edited by GunnerSquad#1122 on 2/6/2013 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
This whole thread is a damn train wreck. I could almost be amused except for shameful levels of stupidity and entitlement rage.

For Blizz: Crafting and Gambling are 2 different things. There are a lot of us waiting for you to introduce a crafting system. Please refer to your PTR feedback boards for multiple pages and threads of relevant QQ as well as a number of really well thought out ideas.

OP and his Ilk: Seriously, these items don't affect you. Even slightly. You've been offered another option to procure a BiS: you can continue to farm to hit the RNG lotto/gather the gold and resources to buy a BiS off the AH, or as you play, you can gather the Essence and materials required to gamble for one. Guess what? You're going to find the gambling materials anyway.

BoA QQ: So the items are BoA? So the eff what? I haven't seen a single reason in 9 pages of ungrammatical whining and moaning why BoA is bad. Not one! Seriously, enlighten effing me. I'd love to understand your point of view, but can't because there isn't a shred of logic or proof (the things that make an argument) in any of your posts. Just crying that you don't wanna.

In the end, you still have the AH, which is and always will be the center of the D3 item economy. Other players, of which there has always been a large contingent, who would prefer not to play the AH meta game now have gambling as an option to gear up.

I know. How dare Blizzard give us options!.

I would like to ask you a question or two.

How does BoA help anyone?

Crafting, Good or bad is in its self a resource sink, how does making the items BoA help or hurt that in any way?

If the intent was to help the economy or be a gold sink like people love to state, wouldn't non-BoA items work better as a gold sink then BoA?

Blizzard takes 15% of all gold made on the AH, the more items that are traded the more gold is removed.

With BoA once Joe Crafter makes one good set of crafted items he is will likely never try again. There is no reason to. The gold and resource sink fails.

Say Joe crafter tries a 100 times and never gets anything good, he stops crafting likely never to try it again just like it is now. The resource sink fails.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the BoA thought process, it really makes no sense at all.
Reply Quote
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

01/31/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We’ve been listening to your feedback

Sure sure, you can read the forums and see the distaste for this idea.
Crafting is horrible right now. I believe the D3 team intended crafting to be like gheed. Collect mats and gold roll a item have a chance at something decent. Gheed, go out kill baal get max gold, use that gold to buy random possible items off gheed.

I would like you to explain how crafting is working right now. Even with the new higher possible rolls crafting is still useless. You can craft a 1000s items and get absolute garbage. When that happens with BOA gear what then. Let say to craft those 1000 items you drop 100mill worth of crafting. If I spend 100mill and get nothing, which atm appears how this is worked, then what is my motivation to spend another 100mill.
Reply Quote
BoA QQ: So the items are BoA? So the eff what? I haven't seen a single reason in 9 pages of ungrammatical whining and moaning why BoA is bad. Not one! Seriously, enlighten effing me. I want to understand your point of view, but can't because there isn't a shred of logic or proof (the things that make an argument) in any of your posts. Just crying that you don't wanna.

I hope you are just trolling on this one. This is a loot base game. And sometimes we need to trade. Do you really understand that?

I have a bunch of HF rings/organs/materials and keys I want to trade or give to some of my friends and I just can't
Reply Quote
My opinion on it is that apart from gloves and amulets it is pretty useless to craft other pieces, unless you are self found or a hardcore player. Viles, set pieces, witching hours and ice climbers are still BIS for their respective slots. All this will do is slightly decrease the value of amulets and gloves found on AH. But realistically speaking the chance of rolling these items to godly status mare pretty darn low(think the hundreds of hellfires you craft and how few got 2 of cc,cd,as let alone all 3 and vit or res). I think the effect on the economy is minimal and it just gives players one more reason to farm.
Reply Quote
Crafting is a crap shoot, even with the 1.0.7
Reply Quote
So the crafted items will be better than you can get elsewhere?
So that will increase the cost of mats. I have no idea what that will do to previous best-in-slot items. Does the price decrease because they aren't the best anymore, or do they stay constant because they're still just as rare, or do they increase cause no one can be effed trying to roll that perfect craft and you should be damn grateful there is an alternative available?

I'll take the entire community farming for the perfect item over me throwing all my mats and more at 1.
In short, AH broke the game.
Drop the AH and these items wouldn't need to the BoA.
Reply Quote
would like to ask you a question or two.

How does BoA help anyone?

Crafting, Good or bad is in its self a resource sink, how does making the items BoA help or hurt that in any way?

I'm agnostic. I don't think BoA on a limited run of gambling items affects the economy in any way. That's why I asked, albeit a little impolitely, why it's so bad.

02/06/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Jane
If the intent was to help the economy or be a gold sink like people love to state, wouldn't non-BoA items work better as a gold sink then BoA?

I don't know about any gold sink being effective with the preponderance of botters. What I do know, is only players can profit from these new gambles. Botters can't sell the materials and they can't sell any good items that come out of it. That has to be a good thing.

02/06/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Jane
Blizzard takes 15% of all gold made on the AH, the more items that are traded the more gold is removed.

In the absence of botters and the ability to buy gold off the RMAH, this argument would be a winner. However, gold is in infinite supply because of the aforementioned; the 15% tax is a ridiculous, weak gesture toward deflation.

With BoA once Joe Crafter makes one good set of crafted items he is will likely never try again. There is no reason to. The gold and resource sink fails.

Say Joe crafter tries a 100 times and never gets anything good, he stops crafting likely never to try it again just like it is now. The resource sink fails.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the BoA thought process, it really makes no sense at all.

Again, I don't see how there can ever be a viable gold or material sink when they're all in infinite supply. Again, I don't see how BoA affects the economy (whether good or bad). I think it's OK that these items are BoA since they've been buffed so hard.

I guess this is why I don't understand why there are so many AH Tycoons crying on this thread. On the AH, there's currently really only a market for top tier gear, with middle tier being pretty slim. If botters flooded the market with BiS crafts (cuz face it, they're the only people w/ infinite time/gold/mats to hit the RNG lotto in meaningful numbers) it would crush what little mid-tier there is and completely devalue all the formerly top-tier stuff. I'd have thought the BoA protects their profits.
Reply Quote
Accomplishments in this game have been overshadowed by the fact that you can purchase the best gear without putting in any effort beyond reaching level 60, which completely eliminates any meaningful sense of progression for those who believe you should work for your status in a game.

Flipping items is exponentially more profitable than playing the game and the itemization is so poorly balanced that reliance on the auction house is massively increased. The regional economies are such a mess because of artificial inflation from flipping that it becomes more of a flipping game to acquire high end gear than farming.

The introduction of BoA crafted items will give some alternate progression and remove a little bit of the complete dependence on the auction house, which is exactly what this game needs to become enjoyable again. Binding items to characters has been one of the mechanics keeping MMOs alive this long, otherwise you would end up with bloated economies where the elite control everything decent and prices on sub-optimal equipment are incredibly low. The nice part about binding equipment is that it not only forces people through content, but it allows for Blizzard to address itemization concerns and adjust character power relative to meaningful character progression once again.

Some people may enjoy spending real money to automatically beat the game, some may enjoy monopolizing the market and making money off of nothing (flipping), but there are plenty of us who welcome BoA items because we see the potential impact on restoring some meaningful progression to the game that won't be tied to the auction house.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 09:50 AMPosted by steakncheese
I know. How dare Blizzard give us options!.
They didn't give you options, they eliminated one. You also didn't read the thread, obviously. Effing.

So you don't have the option to play the AH as always, and the new option to gamble for a BiS? Please elaborate more on how 1+1 no longer = 2.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:44 AMPosted by steakncheese
You've always had the option to gamble for a BiS. Every drop could be one, and the blacksmith isn't missing in some games you create.

Yes, but these new gambling recipes give you 4 of the 50+ winning lotto numbers as opposed to drops:

Item is automatically rare quality as opposed to grey/white/blue.
Item will roll 6 attributes.
Item is the type of item you want (you select gloves, amulets, etc.)
Item will roll high main stat (you select)

Also, with the buffs, these new gambles can roll a higher main stat than is available on any rare drop. I agree with you this is gambling, but this is a new gambling option.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]