Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

I'll concede there, but as in the past, I don't think we can ever agree on BOA. I don't see how allowing them to be traded devalues crafting at all. If it costs 100k to try, and some can sell for billions, THAT'S incentive. If it costs 100k to try and it's worthless, why bother?

Some people feel it's bad, some people praise it. I guess we'll just have to see. I just view them as 5 property rares with a mainstat, 99.5% of them will be terrible.

To be honest, I was totally hating these new recipes until I realized that despite the name, these are not crafting, they're gambling. As far as a gambling system goes, I think the odds are OK.

If they hadn't buffed main stat so hard and these were comparable to regular rares stat-wise, I would say BoA is unnecessary as well.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 09:36 PMPosted by Lammy
Lammy: Making items account bound is a STUPID idea.

Yet still you use hellfire ring -- you defeat your own argument by using what you condemn. BOA promote variety of game items. Not all can be bought and sold on AH. So if you wish to check out BOA items, you have to take the time to craft such. If you don't wish, then don't do. Very simple solution.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Zaxxon23

Yet still you use hellfire ring -- you defeat your own argument by using what you condemn. BOA promote variety of game items. Not all can be bought and sold on AH. So if you wish to check out BOA items, you have to take the time to craft such. If you don't wish, then don't do. Very simple solution.

Don't be dense. The ring is an exceptional situation, 100% completely focused on plvling. Once done plvling, most people will ditch that ring.

It all depends on how good your rings are...to find a rare or leg like the Hellfire rings on my WD or DH would be almost impossible or cost 100s of millions.

I personally wish they would involve body parts from ubers in the new crafting recipes.
Reply Quote
As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

Finally, a blue-tag supports my position about crafting in D3!!! Thank-you for sharing your opinion and I hope, other devs are in support of it!?

This game is an entity which will grow and become what we as players can ask for and what the support team can agree to allow.

I will keep sharing my ideas and also will respond to any communication from a blue-tag which is worth discussing.
Edited by Nilrem#1347 on 2/6/2013 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

Except this isn't a "healthy resource sink." Only the slow and/or dupers/bots will craft. It will cost 100's of millions of gold to get one with the stats your character needs and you cant even sell the other ones that are decent that someone else might want and help recoup the cost. This patch is a monumental failure. On the eve of another ARPG releasing and you release a patch that shelved the entire PvP system, make bad monk changes that 3 months ago you said "needed more than number changes(which is all this patch has for monks)" and add a new crafting system that in under a week anyone with half a brain will figure out isnt worth the effort. While adding nothing new to do. No new quests, goals, areas, events. Really how hard would it be to add a 'Jar of Souls'-like event to the game of endless mobs coming after you that get harder and harder and more and more? I'm bored in-game and nothing in the coming patch is going to change that. But at least we now have a "healthy resource sink."
Edited by Riffmaker#1735 on 2/6/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
You guys are oblivious- BoA items are fine, you still have to break down reg items for mats etc, not every slot has a BIS craftable item. As the game progresses, with xpacs etc said BoA gear will be inferior to the lowest next tier items. This is a game, not the stock market lol. You guys are far too serious about a game, games are meant to be FUN , not a real life sim.

I would like to see some BOA /BOE/BOP drops off some rares or something as such as well. Give them a lil higher chance for good stats and let it rain. Gives something to grind for without having to add more para or anything and also changes having to farm A3 endlessly lol. Also means that if some godly BIS item drops for another class thats boa, maybe coax people into rolling alts adding MORE re/playability. Perhaps add a cow level........
Reply Quote
I posted it originally in another thread, but I will repeat it again:

"Just to reiterate what has been said many times before: one can consider crafting when you apply your knowledge/skills learnt throughout the game, using materials found in the game to create a unique item with desired properties to improve your overall gaming experience. Hellfire Ring is a good example and it was a step in the right direction.

Everything else that involves Blacksmith in its current shape and form is purely a gamble. You just put the money on the table (crafting plans, materials and gold) and hope for the best.

Account-bound items would be great provided you can salvage them to the same base materials you put into making them at the first place, with a moderate penalty (say 25%). Sort of like a recycling - you never get 100% of the original materials. That would bring a lot more fun to crafting, as you could almost endlessly experiment with it while providing a moderate gold/resource sink."
Reply Quote
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

Crafting could be improved very much. Fo r example, I think that 1.07 is a great step, cuz you got the new crafting recipes and the 400% more drop of recipes , BUT i would love to see more options in the process of crafting. I think the great weakness of the system is the randomness... I would spend more gold in crafting if I could guarantee MORE affixes, I woulbt be angry to craft some emeralds for extra dex or some amathyst for extra health. The system is very simple and random, it can be improved, make it more complex, with more reagents other than the smelt materials, you got the gems, use them, you got the white and simple wapons that drops across the land, use them :) it would be nice
Reply Quote
The problem with BoA items is that, as with all blacksmithing, the item is random. Sure you can narrow it down by choosing a class specific item, but you can't choose the properties. God only knows how many you make (and how much gold/item farming time you spend) trying to craft the right item. I'd rather have a good BoA drop which would increase my incentive to level up and play rather than discouraging me with a maybe crafter.
Reply Quote

Your company seems to have its head so far up its !@# at this point they are choking on $%^-. The cost to even craft is so high its completely unrealistic for the average gamer to even use. I dont bot gold or buy it from the RMAH therefore i will never be able to craft any decent BOA items or the new gems. So out of touch it makes my head hurt.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 11:38 AMPosted by StCamber
I personally wish they would involve body parts from ubers in the new crafting recipes.

This is a great idea. More social activity is good.

Also, why shouldn't a crafted account-bound item (like the hellfire ring) salvage into a part of something that was used to create it? Example, the Hellfire Ring should randomly (in my mind) salvage into one of the 3 pieces used to make it. So, if I get 3 crappy rings, I have the opportunity to craft a 4th after I salvage them.

This is a simple solution that might lessen the "healthy resource sink" and make it more enjoyable/rewarding to play.

Just saying.
Reply Quote

Not to beat a dead horse, but a gold sink shouldn't be a black hole. Crafting is just that... a black hole. You have to craft hundreds of items to get one item with decent stats. It just isn't worth it in the short term or long term to waste mats and gold crafting things you'll just have to salvage (and get a fraction of the original value as a result) the moment you craft it.

I think the RNG of crafting is WAY too punishing. The costs associated with crafting items need to be toned down a great deal to make them a viable alternative to buying from the AH. I won't even comment on the sheer luck required to find something with decent stats out in the game world.
Edited by briarben#1697 on 2/6/2013 12:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
BOA is not a good idea. Think about why you would consider adding BOA items in this game and then find other ways to deal with those problems.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]