Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

02/05/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Grimiku
As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

I think that bind on equip would be more suited to Diablo 3, it would still allow trading but would prevent the economy from being broken by a flood of items like it currently is.

Have you discussed the possibility of making all these items "Bind on Equip" as opposed to "Bind on pick up" internally?

What made you decide to go for BoP over BoE?
Reply Quote
I just think the new crafting will be for the users a waste of time and gold. The new gems will cost roughly 100 million gold which most users do not have for a tiny amount of stat points as well as an extra 10% crit damage. The new crafting for blizzard is purely to get gold out of users pockets.
Reply Quote
[/quote]I really need you to explain to me how the game has improved. I'm at a total loss.[/quote]

Theoretically speaking, moving from a 'position 10 to 10.5 is an improvement, just as moving from -5 to -3 is an improvement.

On specifics, we all have different ideas about what is an improvement but moving him out is a definite improvement for starters.

Also do you not see the blues more engaging now in the forums and less condescending in attitude? To me this is a huge improvement.

On game mechanics, well the improvements may not be ground breaking but they are trying so let's give them the opportunity to really really make an improvement like maybe, just maybe they will listen and not have any BoA items ..... not too hopeful but well ....

Of course bad/poor itemization table is still something they have not improved upon which they ought to focus on as a primary but I guess things will take time, Rome was not built in a day.....

When the foundation to a building is weak, you cannot make it strong short of demolishing it and rebuilding, you can only hope to strengthen it with props/support. Even then it remains weak.

RMAH is a mistake and it will continue to haunt everyone simply because there is no real solution for it short of removing it completely. All band aid solutions remains a prop/support, an illusion.
Reply Quote
Why bring even more BoA items into this game? Its venturing further away from what Diablo is. Another aspect that some players such as myself really do not want, and will just make the game feel even more dumbed down.
Reply Quote
We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve.

I have officially lost all hope that this game will ever live up to its predecessors.

Came here for the first time in a while, because you know, that indie game is VERY good. Was hoping to see things moving in a better direction, but this shows that you have no intention of actually making this game a worthy sequel to D2.

Goodbye Blizzard.
Edited by ThePMRC#1129 on 2/6/2013 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Doctor Doom ~ " You have no hope!"
Reply Quote
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

I usually share negative comments and complaint about the game, but I will praise positive developments if necessary.

Account bound items are a nice addition as long as you don't fill the game with them.

I support these items. But don't add much more.
Reply Quote
@steakncheese Thank you for pointing that out. I don't use the RMAH and thought that Bliz was the gold seller not the players.
Reply Quote
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

Where are you even getting the idea that there is anything remotely good about crafting? It's terrible and has been consistently rated as one of the worst features of D3, by the players, since launch.

What function does it fill? Nothing!

By forcing it to use the same random chances that dropped items do, BUT also requiring the user to burn resources in the form of actual gold, as well as several pieces of salvaged equipment that could have been vendored for gold. Anyone could just go and kill some monsters for the same result without wasting money. The ONLY thing crafting has over farming is that we can specify exactly what type of piece we want, but pre-60, the level gaps between most craftable items in each type are ridiculously huge.

Then we get to level 60 gear. Not only do we have to FIND or BUY the recipes, but they only go up to ilevel 62. The WORST a player would have to do to make that useless is maybe buy some pieces on the AH, set MP to 1 and farm Inferno, which means all of the drops are effectively ilevel 63, better potentially than anything that could be crafted.

The only direction the economy is evolving towards is hyperinflation. Decent drops are still too rare, and coupled with the flood of gold into the market and low prices, gear prices have skyrocketed. Only the elitist of the elite can afford to buy anything really good on the AH. Even some of the best (best=time available in D3, and nothing else) players can't farm enough to ever afford this gear, and they have a better chance of being killed in a car accident than seeing it actually drop for them.

I understand rareness is needed to an extent in a loot-driven ARPG, and it is understandable that real devotees, the "elite", get rewarded for their time spent. But due to bad development choices and factors in the community, you have a system wherein the vast majority of the playerbase has no way to even reliably work towards experiencing the higher tiers of gears and challenges. That's just not right.
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 2/6/2013 6:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't even understand why we needed a crafting system in the first place, because all there doing with it now is trying to make it a counter to the AH and RMAH. So let's just get rid of the auction houses, fix the itemization, and loot drops, then add ways to INcrease (not Decrease) in-game trading between players. ( don't you see blizzard boa items are going in the wrong direction
Reply Quote
Instead of account bound, just give a 10-20% buff to all items that have never been AH'ed (or to people in the original game when it dropped / or just to the account ) This would give players a better experience finding gear, but it would still allow a thriving AH market).

The problem now is, most of the people that realized that you need to be able to find your own items in an item finding game, have quit the game. What's left are the stock brokers.
Reply Quote
The reason for BoA seems obvious to me.

What happens when you give players the ability to craft BiS equipment and then let them sell it on the AH?

Well, within a week, that BiS gear is selling for cheap, which means it costs 1/100th the crafting cost. So now we're back to the situation we're currently in, with crafting that ain't worth jack, and is more or less, a wasted, useless feature.

Of course, how long it takes for the AH to beat the crafting costs varies, but it WILL happen, and at that point, no one will give a damn about crafting. That's why BoA is a necessary evil.
Reply Quote
The reason for BoA seems obvious to me.

............... That's why BoA is a necessary evil.

Proving that AH was and is a design flaw.....

BoA was suggested by some players due to the fact that they were just so frustrated with the loot itemization table. So if they worked on improving the loot itemization table, there will be no need for any BoA request. Not forgetting that players are getting so frustrated with the super duper hyper inflation at AH or deflation of gold. It won't take long before billion gold prices become the norm at AH. Aren't these the reasons why some players are asking for BoA?

AH and poor itemization table is the original evil...now they are introducing another evil to combat the original evil. Sounds logical doesn't it? An empathic No it isn't. Solve the original evil and you won't need to add new evils to counter them. This ought to be the primary focus to make this game better.
Edited by Miruko#1932 on 2/6/2013 8:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
IMO, all crafting should have been BoA to begin with. =/

I see crafting as a way for players to gear as an alternative to using the Auction House. I believe it would have made a better model if ALL crafting created BoA items.

If these new recipes never would have been BoA, everything else would just be deemed worthless junk in a few months when all of the good items have already been rolled.

"The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), "

WTF??? Who???

I am one of those "crazy" people who wishes to use self found gear.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/6/2013 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]