Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

MVPs have no bearing on the direction of this game. He's just a player with fancy text and a little more accountability for his actions.

you truly believe that don't you. :)

Actually it's true.

I really have no pull over the direction of the game, and likewise just because I'm a Blizzard MVP I don't have to publicly support every facet of gameplay.

I really am nothing more than just another player with fancy jaded text.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/6/2013 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:11 PMPosted by IRRebel5150
Not that I don't see where he is wrong, and DEAD WRONG, in this thread.

See, this is where I believe YOU'RE wrong.

This entire discussion is about subjective opinions. I can basically summarize your statement for you.

"I like the color blue"

"Well, I don't like blue so much, I like the color red"

"You're wrong because blue is ultimately the only color that anyone should ever like"

"Not exactly, I just don't like blue and would prefer red is all"

"Well, you're DEAD WRONG because I like blue and that is that"
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:16 PMPosted by steakncheese
you truly believe that don't you. :)
Yes I do.

I've been involved in similar programs (albeit much smaller settings) in other MMOGs. Your duty is merely to help with general inquires, generally by repeating whatever official representatives have previously said. The only voice I had with representatives was one way, usually to communicate severe bugs players were having.

I actually think in that setting I had more power than Droth does now.

Correct, I am free to speak of my own accord and do not have any obligation to quote official sources or link the Code of Conduct everywhere.

I'm just a player that Blizzard has deemed to be helpful and friendly on occasion. Nothing more.
Reply Quote
Now imagine if an unbind orb existed. It would work like an id scroll where you right click it and then the item.

Now imagine if this unbind orb cost 1 of each marquis gem to make. That would open a whole lot more item/gold/gem sinking options while keeping an option for trading alive.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Drothvader
Not that I don't see where he is wrong, and DEAD WRONG, in this thread.

See, this is where I believe YOU'RE wrong.

This entire discussion is about subjective opinions. I can basically summarize your statement for you.

"I like the color blue"

"Well, I don't like blue so much, I like the color red"

"You're wrong because blue is ultimately the only color that anyone should ever like"

"Not exactly, I just don't like blue and would prefer red is all"

"Well, you're DEAD WRONG because I like blue and that is that"
MVP FAQ:

In this one quote Droth has managed to describe all the world's problems...

So much win that it can only be trolled.
Reply Quote
I give up.

You can't educate some people, and some people have motivation such as a paycheck........

I learned a long time ago that a paycheck DOES motivate most people. But some want more, and those, I gave the tools, skills, taught the trade so to speak to, and thus......

I NEVER had a "Motivated Idiot" ever work for me.

LOL...

Why Boa is a bad idea ...back to tis pls
Reply Quote
Fixed for you. You're perfectly right to swap "WoW "for "Diablo" for a better analogy. I fixed it this way because it's what's actually happening as a whole: WoW players like yourself (and apparently the D3 devs) want to make D3 another version of WoW, and it's pissing Diablo players off.

As a 7-8 year WoW veteran that played since Vanilla and raided for 2 expansions, I can tell you hands down that D3 is BY FAR a much more casual game than WoW ever was.

While we're on the subject, WoW has more depth and playability than D3 could ever have. From the Gem system, to professions, even items have a much broader scope to them. Raiding involves much more coordination than any D3 player would ever have to muster and more dedication to learning the ins and outs of your class.

This "Grrr, I hate WoW soooo much" bandwagon is really old.

In almost every aspect WoW trumps D3 in terms of complexity.

I don't want a carbon copy of WoW here, but there are things in WoW that actually work and have worked wonderfully for the last decade. The item hunt didn't keep people interested in D2, being a jerk to other people did.

Now I'm not saying that D3 should copy everything WoW has done right, but it can certainly take a few lessons from the WoW playbook on how to make a successful game.
Reply Quote
Shame you miss out on the real issue with BOA gear; that being the harm to the trade environment in a trade focused game. Think people are annoying about complaining they can't sell stuff now? Just wait until the market drops because people crafted their own gear in half the slots.

BOA is still the stupidist idea, by far, ever conceived for a Diablo game. An idea like that should be laughed out of existence, and somehow it's actually going to be implemented! There's nothing else in this game that tells us with any more clarity that the devs do not understand what Diablo is.

Well put! You sound more ticked off about it than me even!

I thought I'd also post an example of how fail an idea binding is. Let's see if this opens the eyes of some people.. maybe this will change their minds..

First off, remember, people can still BUY gold and salvage materials, so binding won't stop pay-2-win, we've established THAT much. However, lets see if it at least works as a gold sink..

Imagine a player with materials to craft 100 Amulets. Lets see what results from an account bound system vs a free market system. For sake of simplicity, the cost to craft each amulet costs 100k. So, they have 10 million gold worth of materials invested.

Player (starts with 10 million gold), begins crafting and generates:
- 90 bad ones, immediately salvaged
- 11 good items, situationally viable, worth about 300k each if sold
- 2 excellent ones, worth 7 million each if sold, but one is just slightly better in all stats by 1 (they got lucky!)

Now, suppose each salvaged one results in 2k gold. Lets say this player doesn't want to use too much bag space, so they salvage the 2nd best excellent one, and 10 good ones. 98 Salvaged results in:
- 196k worth of salvage (round it to 200k)
- single 300k amulet remains
- single 7 mil amulet remains

So for 10 million - 200k = 9.8million gold, they get an amulet worth 7 million and one worth 300k gold.

Now, despite 2 well rolled amulets, this player still lost 2.7 million gold. But, this is working as a gold sink, apparently.

Compare to the non-bound situation, but instead of salvaging, the extra amulets are all sold:

10 million - 200k - 10*300k - 7mil = a net PROFIT of 200k gold AND 2 amulets worth 7.3 million. This person got lucky here!

Now, clearly this isn't working as a gold sink, if this person gained 200k gold AND valuable amulets.

Or IS it?

Lets look at it closer..

The people who bought this person's amulets paid 10*300k + 7mil. So, they are 10 million gold POORER. This player is only 200k richer. THUS, 9.8 million gold was REMOVED from the system! Now, this person only got 7.3 mil worth of amulets out of it, but this is clearly taking gold out of the system. IF the crafting wasn't so lucky, it would be taking even MORE gold out. This IS working as a gold sink afterall!

In addition, the people that bought these amulets are probably stoked for getting some nice upgrades!

Lets look at it even closer..

If the player LOST 2.7 million gold because of the binding model, are they REALLY ever going to craft again? Odds are a lot of people will have a bitter taste in their mouth and won't, despite the fact they were lucky here. They got their nice 7.3 mil worth of amulets and are DONE with it.

What about the guy who gained 200k gold and nice amulets? Heck ya!

Of course, doing this will lower the value of all amulets over time, since everyone will be doing it, but THIS is a true gold sink. gold is exitting the system, and thus the non bound amulets are working as they should. Eventually, amulets will be all dirt cheap, and salvage materials will start getting pretty pricey. THIS IS HOW FREE MARKETS WORK!

Love BOTH of these posts.
Reply Quote
I quit WoW as soon as it's first expansion came out. Never played it for more than 2 minutes at a time since. Reason why you ask? All my gear was account bound and I couldn't do anything with it except sell it to the NPC, so the expansion just made all my gear worthless.

What game did I go to after that? Lineage 2, where gear was tradable. What games do I play now? Games that don't have account bound items, ever.

Do I plan on playing D3 now? Nope, because I don't play games where the items I spend 1000 hours to get are account bound, and when an item is later introduced trumping that 1000 hour item I'm thus forced to just sell it to the npc for 2000 gold or some ridiculously cheap amount.

3 Months since I've played this game and nothing that's been released has been something I've found "fun."

Good job guys.

I'll check back in another 3 months.

Hewwos out.
Reply Quote
Sorry, but gold sellers dont like BOA items, its one slot people dont have to buy for, majority like it, those that dont, we know where you are from.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 09:26 PMPosted by Lammy
Someone else found that gear that you bought for you. You just payed them with your time (Gold accumulated) in exchange for that nice item.

But Droth. Are you saying when a friend finds something good for you, you'd rather just have it destroyed than trade for it? How is THAT any good?

So what if it floods the market with too many items from crafting? I mean doesn't that help EVERYONE as opposed to BoA?
- a buyer gets a good deal, so they're happy
- seller gets more gold than vendor/salvaging so they're happy
- people like you who just want to salvage are still free to do so!

I mean cmon, respect other people's ways of enjoying the game! Unbound items work for everyone!

What's the point of contesting this? In my point of view, players (the ones who like to profit in the AH/RMAH) sees that BOA items will bring them lots more gold (if these could be sold) since they roll the highest affixes and are a sure buy. You guys just think that BOA items are a lost opportunity to profit. Well, again these items were suggested to be included to serve another purpose, and not to have new items to sell in the Auction House.

Hunt for gears to sell or craft none-BOA ones. These are the items "designated" to be sold in the AH/RMAH. BOA items are for self use, they roll the highest affixes, so they included a trade off.
Reply Quote
magine in a real world scenario if you purchased stocks and could never sell them. Would you do it? Probably not.
This is not an apt comparison. Stocks are considered paper, and when you buy a stock, you're trading paper for paper.

A more appropriate comparison would be buying a TV, using it for a few years, then attempting to resell it for more than what you paid for it. This apparently, is what people want out of crafting. I want to be able to make the best gear, use it while it's the best, make some better, then sell my newly unused gear for more than the cost of crafting!

Also, remember that it's Bind-On-Account. This means if you get some shoulders with an Int/Vita roll on your Barb, you can chuck them to your Wizard or Witch Doctor. Everyone always argues that "getting to 60 is easy". Well, there ya go. This isn't like a massive online RPG where you need to commit hundreds of hours to just one character.

02/05/2013 11:59 PMPosted by matt1101
Bind on account doesn't belong in a farming game where trading should occur. If Blizz is worried the AH will be flooded with items, make it so they aren't AH tradable, but only in game tradable. Something other than account bound is the only way these are worthwhile, at all.
Maybe you aren't aware of the stat possibility... but Vile Wards? The new crafted shoulders beat them out with some decent rolls, and with very high rolls, it will be miles above. I don't see how a 50,000 gold gamble (lol 50k is next to nothing) doesn't meet up to those standards for you.

For reference:
Vile Ward can roll 170-200 in a primary stat
Archon Shoulders can roll 201-230 in a primary stat WHICH YOU CHOOSE

So again, I'm sorry if you fail to see the value in this, but it should be readily apparent when high end Vile Wards sell for 100's of millions of gold. The only people that should be "against" this, are people that have high end Vile Wards.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]