Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

here it is in a nut shell quit blowing smoke up they !@#$'s of the few players you have left for this game , just make exspantion back with all new quets and monster and than just give it to all who still play this game as a patch download and make it to were it is an offline playable bcause your sever sevice truly stinks. and stop with the bs
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

A PR answer... Do any of you even realize how fake that sounds when read by someone who isnt being paid by your boss?
Reply Quote
We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve.

Grim, this is a big issue, and has been a main problem of the dev team's.

You have input so many changes in contrary to the many cries fans have pleaded against, past and still, future patches.

Many players beg to not implement the change, you do it anyways to "test" it and end up just losing another % of your player base.

Some changes can and will be good, and will bring the game back to life.

However, if you get multiple disagreements on a feature change then shouldn't it just be common sense to not implement that specific idea until it's reconfigured to the critic/fan/PTR player's liking?

The term "Change is here to stay" needs to go with Jay Wilson to whatever department he's off to mess up next.

Quoting myself for emphasis on my reply.
Edited by noob#1818 on 2/7/2013 4:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Making an argument based on "Illusion of choice" then stating that you would rather just buy something on the Auction House makes the entire statement a stark contradiction of itself.

The only way to make the game balanced in this aspect is to balance all 3 methods of acquisition so that they all take the same amount of vested time. (Which is practically impossible)

You still have a choice, just the new changes don't coincide with your preferred method of procurement.

Wow a Droth post I wholeheartedly agree with! Very nice.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 11:53 PMPosted by Lammy
Who are you to say they should have to play 1000 hours rather than spend the $10?

He didn't. He said time reward should be roughly equal. Here let me quote that for you.

The only way to make the game balanced in this aspect is to balance all 3 methods of acquisition so that they all take the same amount of vested time. (Which is practically impossible)

There you go!

My point is, give people the choice. I am of the opinion that most Diablo fans have always accepted the non-binding economic model, and changing that is only risking losing more players than it will keep.

As a rabid D2 fanboy, I'll weigh in that the conversation was made moot the second they implemented this random stacked on random itemization system that prioritizes AH usage for efficiency (Hell just survivability when I played inferno last many months ago). D2 used to be a single player offline game. Protip, in a single player game where drops weren't tuned for a global economy, all items are account bound.

However, when the crazies are running the asylum, try to do as the mad hatter does to keep things together.
Reply Quote
[quote]
Currently, crafting is next to worthless. The new crafted gear will help make crafting much more lucrative.

So you think items that cannot be sold or traded are lucrative?

I do not see how you figure.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Grimiku
we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

Crafting item to be best in game is good idea, but the crafting materials should be hard to come by for the amount needed but not too hard that it feels impossible, this will give people the sense that they are getting some where as they collect a bunch of crafting materials. And maybe create a Valor stack that increases the materials only and have it have no cap, so you can start from act 1 and end in act 4 with 200 stacks or something. Giving reason to farm something other then act 3 which is another problem.
Reply Quote
So you think items that cannot be sold or traded are lucrative?

I do not see how you figure.

I don't see how this is hard to understand. If items that are crafted can be found equal or better from drops, or to put it another way, there is no special qualities about the item you're crafting that can't be bought from another item, no one would craft. Ever. It's a blatant gold sink with a "chance" to get you something better, though on average, house wins. Just buy the items and crafting is useless.

Now you make special properties that apply only to crafting items. Bots and dupers will now profit heavily off these items, those who can't eat the inevitable losses will not, until eventually so many items will be crafted, they'll sell for cheap enough for everyone to just buy them. Again, crafting is circumvented completely.

If you're going to have crafting in this game at all, it by definition needs to be BoA and have qualities which make it worth your costs to craft.

I would prefer they just overhaul the stat system and tune drop rates as if everyone was playing single player, but meh.

02/07/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Lammy
In some ways, the uncontrolled item hunt was the REASON a lot of us couldn't wait for D3 to come out. This is more of a core philosophical problem, greater than any class or item balances that come up time to time. A LOT of people will leave Diablo for good with this one..

The core reason for the item hunt is kind of gone since almost all "BiS" (vomit) gear works with any build of any class which shares your primary stat. The character building is gone, Diablo is already dead, trying to "save" it now is silly. With itemization borked the way it is, BoA is the next sensible step.
Edited by Logos#1946 on 2/7/2013 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
The new crafting would be a good gold sink if and only if it were not bind on account ... otherwise here is what it truly is ....

Ill never craft those items ... you can spend 400 mil crafting amulets and likely not create something worth wearing ... now you have lost 400 mil for no reason whatsoever.

Or the other possibility which is akin to winning the lottery ... you spend 400mil and get a really good item... now you have lost 400 mil for no reason whatsoever again ... (that item isnt worth 400mil ... its worth something only in the head of an uneducated person or one who has an abundance of money in real life)

If you spend 400mil making amulets ... its literally the same thing as putting $100 dollars in a shredder.... think about it ... whatever the outcome ... you are destroying value.

Once I realized this fact ... even thinking about crafting bind on account items makes me sick.

02/07/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Drothvader
If you're going to have crafting in this game at all, it by definition needs to be BoA and have qualities which make it worth your costs to craft.

And in the knowledge which I described ... crafting will again be circumvented by all those with a fair mind and a tangible value of real money.
Edited by Delkerramak#1500 on 2/7/2013 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I don't see how this is hard to understand. If items that are crafted can be found equal or better from drops, or to put it another way, there is no special qualities about the item you're crafting that can't be bought from another item, no one would craft. Ever. It's a blatant gold sink with a "chance" to get you something better, though on average, house wins. Just buy the items and crafting is useless.

Now you make special properties that apply only to crafting items. Bots and dupers will now profit heavily off these items, those who can't eat the inevitable losses will not, until eventually so many items will be crafted, they'll sell for cheap enough for everyone to just buy them. Again, crafting is circumvented completely.

I would prefer they just overhaul the stat system and tune drop rates as if everyone was playing single player, but meh.

The exact thing I've been trying to say this entire time. =D
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
BOA Items I'm happy with.

BOA gems for 100m/$25 which can never be recovered, I am not.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
BOA Items I'm happy with.

They can be recovered, it just costs something like 5m to unsocket them.

Alternatively, if the item is sub par you can always salvage it instead and recover the gem that way.

IMO, I think the cost to unsocket a gem should have been higher for all other tiers, but I'm afraid that change cannot be made without causing massive uproar.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:03 PMPosted by steakncheese
It would be completely asinine for an item to cost less than it did to make. Content additions HAVE to invalidate previous iterations of gear. Otherwise they are not new content.

Items don't have to cost less than to craft THAT particular item. They just have to cost less than someone would have to pay to make it themselves EVENTUALLY.

If it costs 10k to craft an item, and I expect to have to craft 10,000 of said item to have a decent chance at reaching my desired stat threshold, and someone is selling that item for 2 million on the AH because they got it on their first try, by the law of large numbers you'd be better off simply buying the AH item than attempting to craft your own stuff..

I don't understand your point about loot progression.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Aphraell

Nor should you be ... Blizzard is forcing people to pay $25 in real money to buy a gem that is non refundable (tradeable)

You start with gold and gems... virtual items that have indisputable real life value ... you trade these in for 1 item that has no value at all 0 zilch nada

It's almost a scam except for the fact that blizzard is hoping to stimulate gold buying by the game requiring more gold to get places rather than flat out taking the money outright when in reality once people realize the destruction of value they wont even touch crafting or gem making.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Delkerramak
Ill never craft those items ... you can spend 400 mil crafting amulets and likely not create something worth wearing ... now you have lost 400 mil for no reason whatsoever.

Then the baseline properties of said amulet weren't special enough to warrant crafting it in the first place. Crafting should exist one of two ways:

At no cost, purely as an item sink with rare items being RARE

or as a gold sink to get you a chance at reaching that next gear threshold when you're at your peak from items you farmed / bought. Else crafting isn't adding anything to the game at all and it just taking up space which could better be used by other features I'm sure.

Ideally if crafting were to be in a Diablo game it would ONLY require mats from yellows and uniques and act as an item sink because those items would be rare enough and baseline good enough to be worth the choice of: Sell / trade, or destroy for a chance at something wicked awesome. The fact that crafting has so much up front gold cost as well as mats cost makes it meh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]