Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

You start with gold and gems... virtual items that have indisputable real life value ... you trade these in for 1 item that has no value at all 0 zilch nada

If you have BiS gear and gems are your last upgrade? Those gems had better have value to you, or you might as well play a different game. The fact that you may or may not at a gear threshold to appreciate the increase in stats doesn't change the fact that some of the top .01% of players are drooling for those few extra points to upgrade their stuff with.
Reply Quote
BOA Items I'm happy with.

BOA gems for 100m/$25 which can never be recovered, I am not.

They can be recovered, it just costs something like 5m to unsocket them.

Alternatively, if the item is sub par you can always salvage it instead and recover the gem that way.

IMO, I think the cost to unsocket a gem should have been higher for all other tiers, but I'm afraid that change cannot be made without causing massive uproar.

Sorry you misunderstood me, I meant that the item is bound to your account, you can't ever resell the gems to recover some costs. So if I switch class from Wizard to Barbarian my 62int gem is useless to me. Instead of being able to sell on the GAH or trade to fund costs for my new Barbarians gear. There is no reason whatsoever for the gems to be BOA. Crafted gear items is fine. They dont cost 100m a pop.

Plus people like the fact they can cash out their items on the MRAH anytime they want. Having a Gem cost half the price of the actual game is insane.
Edited by Aphraell#1269 on 2/7/2013 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Then the baseline properties of said amulet weren't special enough to warrant crafting it in the first place. Crafting should exist one of two ways:

At no cost, purely as an item sink with rare items being RARE

or as a gold sink to get you a chance at reaching that next gear threshold when you're at your peak from items you farmed / bought. Else crafting isn't adding anything to the game at all and it just taking up space which could better be used by other features I'm sure.

Right but what you have to accept ... is that real money value is being destroyed by the fact that they want to make items BoA ... its absurd ... ridiculous ... something so bizarre you would expect it to come out of the mouth of manson Charles Manson or Jean Paul Sartre.

If youre going to make a subset of best in slots craftable ... so be it ... but DO NOT make them bind on account ...

Craftable Best in slots = GOLD sink
Craftable Bind on Account Best in Slots = setting United States legal tender on fire.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:43 PMPosted by Delkerramak
If youre going to make a subset of best in slots craftable ... so be it ... but DO NOT make them bind on account ...

You make no sense. If they weren't BoA, you'd never craft them since crafting is a horrible waste of gold by your own admission. You'd just buy them on the AH from someone who got lucky crafting something amazing they couldn't use with very few attempts.

Crafting needs to be BoA or not exist at all with the way itemization in this game is currently.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:52 PMPosted by steakncheese
If those numbers were true, then the real value of the amulet the ignorant player placed on the Auction House is 100,000,000. Just because Joe Schmoe can't value his gear doesn't mean it can't be a worthwhile venture.

Worthwhile until he gets undersold by bots and dupers who can do on a massive scale what Joe Schmoe got with a bit of luck.

02/07/2013 07:52 PMPosted by steakncheese
The loot progression point was to dismiss the idea that these need to be BOA in order to protect the value of existing gear. It needs no protecting. If new, better items are added, the focus will simply shift.

The value of existing gear isn't the point. I don't care about gear inflation insofar as the devs should ensure people actually have incentive to use systems which take up man hours to create and space within the game. The point is that if getting crafting quality gear is more profitable if you don't craft then there is no reason to have crafting in the game.
Reply Quote
Ill never craft those items ... you can spend 400 mil crafting amulets and likely not create something worth wearing ... now you have lost 400 mil for no reason whatsoever.

Then the baseline properties of said amulet weren't special enough to warrant crafting it in the first place. Crafting should exist one of two ways:

At no cost, purely as an item sink with rare items being RARE

or as a gold sink to get you a chance at reaching that next gear threshold when you're at your peak from items you farmed / bought. Else crafting isn't adding anything to the game at all and it just taking up space which could better be used by other features I'm sure.

Ideally if crafting were to be in a Diablo game it would ONLY require mats from yellows and uniques and act as an item sink because those items would be rare enough and baseline good enough to be worth the choice of: Sell / trade, or destroy for a chance at something wicked awesome. The fact that crafting has so much up front gold cost as well as mats cost makes it meh.

I think the problem with crafting is the reward is always the same, so it's not worth your time in any circumstance to salvage a valuable item.

02/07/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Aphraell
Sorry you misunderstood me, I meant that the item is bound to your account, you can't ever resell the gems to recover some costs.

Ah, my mistake. I apologize for the improper use of context.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/7/2013 8:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:09 PMPosted by Drothvader
I think the problem with crafting is the reward is always the same, so it's not worth your time in any circumstance to salvage a valuable item.

That is the problem with crafting, and the problem with rares not being rare enough. The niche I would see crafting fill is this idea of, "OMG I finally found a rare, that makes 3 rares. I can attempt to trade these rares to people for a rare I might want, or I can salvage these 3 rares for another rare that I might not see for a couple of days."

Rares should be rare but valuable when dropped and crafting should exist as a way to get rid of a surplus of rares for another chance at that item you want NOW. And it should have some kind of guaranteed crafting qualities to make it interesting so the loss doesn't seem so lopsided.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Logos
If they weren't BoA, you'd never craft them since crafting is a horrible waste of gold by your own admission. You'd just buy them on the AH from someone who got lucky crafting something amazing they couldn't use with very few attempts.

Well, technically, whether or not they were BoA i wouldnt craft them because of the difference in passive and active probability mining.

When you farm for gear you are passively playing the lottery at no expense other than time ... after a certain amount of farming based partially on luck you will have enough to buy something you want from the auction house. (its like spending a nice day out on a boat fishing ... hoping to catch the big one)

When you craft for gear you are actively playing the lottery at great expense of both time and gold... after a certain amount of time and game currency you MAY or MAY NOT have something you want.(its like dumping $200 worth of chum into the water and trying to catch a shark with a mickey mouse fishing rod... even if you hook that sucker you just spent $200 for nothing)

Passive vs. Active

I would always prefer the first situation as would most reasonable people. In the second situation after a while I would just become super depressed and quit the game ... because I just spent 400 million unrecoverable gold (worth ~$85 usd) and got nothing my mind is literally blown ... and even if i managed to make some insane trifecta amulet with 350 primary stat on it ... buyer's remorse would inevitably eat away at me.
Hence ... whether or not only crafting yields best in slots ... i would never do so... LEAST OF ALL when theyre going to be bind on account.
Edited by Delkerramak#1500 on 2/7/2013 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
A blue posted that BOA items is what D3 needs right now.

A Gold Sink

BOA items will be better than AH items now but in future patches BOA items will not be as good as future AH items

So basically BOA is a short term gold sink , And all Current items will be of less Value or Worthless, Then in future Patches new items will be released that make BOA items look lame.

This is Blizzards gold sink idea and somewhat similar to a ladder reset or item reset.

So the moral if the story? No matter how godly your item is, In the future it will always be replaced by better items ...
Reply Quote
A blue posted that BOA items is what D3 needs right now.

A Gold Sink

Its a gold sink whether or not its BoA ... people who keep repeating this drive me nuts

100k gold plus another 50-100k in materials goes poof for every craft

THAT IS A GOLD SINK
Reply Quote
Any and every decision will always be based on the auction houses and how it will affect them. If blizzard feels they can make money from these changes they will implement them. To me this is made clearer every time they make a decision.

At this point, it is time to stop playing the game, it's a lost cause. they have enough people still playing to warrant not actually listening and hearing what players have to say.

If you enjoy the game, I am happy for you but to anyone else who is still holding out hope that blizzard will do something meaningful regarding Diablo 3, I feel you will be waiting a long time. Get out now because there are far better games to play than this one.
Reply Quote
This whole thread is a damn train wreck. I could almost be amused except for shameful levels of stupidity and entitlement rage.

For Blizz: Crafting and Gambling are 2 different things. There are a lot of us waiting for you to introduce a crafting system. Please refer to your PTR feedback boards for multiple pages and threads of relevant QQ as well as a number of really well thought out ideas.

OP and his Ilk: Seriously, these items don't affect you. Even slightly. You've been offered another option to procure a BiS: you can continue to farm to hit the RNG lotto/gather the gold and resources to buy a BiS off the AH, or as you play, you can gather the Essence and materials required to gamble for one. Guess what? You're going to find the gambling materials anyway.

BoA QQ: So the items are BoA? So the eff what? I haven't seen a single reason in 9 pages of ungrammatical whining and moaning why BoA is bad. Not one! Seriously, enlighten effing me. I want to understand your point of view, but can't because there isn't a shred of logic or proof (the things that make an argument) in any of your posts. Just crying that you don't wanna.

In the end, you still have the AH, which is and always will be the center of the D3 item economy. Other players, of which there has always been a large contingent, who would prefer not to play the AH meta game now have gambling as an option to gear up.

I know. How dare Blizzard give us options!

Well said. I feel that it doesn't necessarily change the game much. Gives people something else to "try" to make better. It seems that the people are complaining because they would want to make said "BoA items" but since they cannot resale them they won't. So they are upset about it then. What I don't figure is AH is not changing. It is there and they can farm till their little hearts content. Sale, purchase, and then do it all over again. They are worried someone can and probably will make something better and not want to buy their EXTREMELY over priced items. Quit crying and intelligently try to bring up new ideas and have patience. The game is fun. It is awesome to shop AH. Without it my Hero's would never be as formidable. But don't get mad because people will still buy your items and most likely this craft effort will be a gold sink until the next patch. At least wait till the patch comes out and see it's results.
Edited by str8killin#1239 on 2/8/2013 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
There are some who like this idea and some who do not. Reading these post there is a lot of controversy. It seems to me Bliz should be looking for ideas that more people like rather than implement ideas that will drive people away and make the player base smaller than it is now.

I bought a legacy puzzle ring for 7 mill last month. I'll never get my gold back from that investment. Put it on my follower. It is a lot of fun. Those little guys pop up all over. Sometimes all I see are the gold turds. Course the non legacy puzzle rings eliminated this feature. Guess it was too much fun.

So Bliz, how about implementing more features that are fun rather than drive people away.

Oh wait, did someone say RMAH driven rather than fun driven ?
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 09:00 AMPosted by TheFunGun21

Simple and true.

No, otherwise the crafting potential would have to be nerfed for the sake of "the economy."

Make them tradeable. The economy would adjust like for any ''end-game'' items that exist now. If 1000 hellfire rings were listed on ah, you would pick the best cost efficient one, just like you do now.
Hellfire rings ' price would steady. If I can't sell mine at 20m, then I'll try 15m, and so on. Besides, a ''flood'' of hellfire rings would keep the price at a minimun. Ever try searching for specific legendarys? I got my vile ward for under 100k. Why? (besides the fact that it's not amazing) because there was 100 to choose from, at varying prices.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 03:07 AMPosted by Meltdown
They really aren't listening to the community are they?

They have a magic 8-ball on their desk, that is their supposed community they are listening to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]