Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

02/03/2013 11:06 AMPosted by TheFunGun21
So you're okay with them designing completely contrary to the original intent of the game? That doesn't seem very bright...

Absolutely. Because the "original intent" of the game is a friggin' disaster.

Making Diablo 3 a multiplayer focused experience was a really good idea because that is to a great extent the reason why D2 lasted as long as it has. Turning away from that design is a large reason why D3 is dropping numbers so fast. You've seen the number of people who are upset with Bnet 2.0 and the lack of a fun multiplayer experience haven't you? Why would you want to push the game further down the path of irrelevance?
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 2/3/2013 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
The new BoA items are... new. They are additions to the game. They are not replacing any existing item nor recipe. They are also hardly going to be mandatory. Upgrading through the AH will most likely remain much easier than gearing up with them. You will still be able to trade with picked up rares, legendaries, stuff you flip from AH, commodities, etc.

Most people will give up with the new crafted items once they figure that it is much easier to buy from AH. But the feature was *not* added for them.

No one is going to lose any "multiplayer experience". Just like the hell fire ring being BoA didn't kill the AH ring market at all.

The feature is intended from people that do not want to use the AH. In that case, the "account bound" tag is going to be a lil' badge of honor. Because the only way to get those items is through actual game play. If they weren't BoA, then all that hard work would be irrelevant, because anyone with 10k would be able to get better items from the AH than them, and there would be no way to differentiate between the AH warriors and the guys who crafted their own items.

Here, binding is preventing them from using that gold to buy a nicely crafted amulet.
That's the whole point.

If he wants to buy something, he can easily find great amulets in the AH. There are tons of them at ridiculously low costs already.

If there is anything that AH warriors do not need is more options to purchase things. The AH is saturated as is.

Instead, they either gamble it all away in hopes of getting something good, or don't bother crafting at all, if the materials are too much.

If they just want a good amulet fast, then they should use the AH. This is always going to be true. Making the new recipes not BoA wouldn't change that either.

The new Crafted Items may well possibly roll to be BiS in some cases, albeit rare instances, but allowing them on the AH would also have the effect of leveling off pricing on the current BiS items as well, which is not much of a step down, for one.

The issue with the AH is that the prices are too low and it is way too easy to upgrade through it . So easy that AH users end up in a state in which only BiS are upgrades.

A change that helps makes BiS even cheaper would be simply terrible.

Now, IF I need one, wanted one, had to have one, I can hop on chat, offer up 5 million or so for an MP10 Uber run, and go get the mats for one any time, any day of the week.

HOW is that ANY different than shopping or trading for one?

That you would be subject to RNG comes to mind.
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 2/3/2013 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Vexorian, you articulated the point very well. Thank you.

I hate the Auction House. I would rather invest my time finding my own gear. It makes for a much more satisfying experience.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 09:36 PMPosted by Lammy
Don't you think there should be a CHOICE to farm vs. buy gear?

lol

thats why they are bringing more BoA items... you see they gave us a choice between farming gear and buying, and since 99% players choose (most of them claim they were forced due to game difficulty) to buy gear they are trying to fix that with BoA items and they are making a good thing

i know why are you (and everyone else) complaining about BoA items... you are not used to make or achieve something on your own. I know... its a lot easier for you to wait until others get BiS items for you and you just buy them...its simple

well kid... if you want these BiS items, you will actually have to play the game... not AH, and thats a problem for you muhahahahaha
Reply Quote
View profile
02/03/2013 11:45 AMPosted by steveman0

Absolutely. Because the "original intent" of the game is a friggin' disaster.

Making Diablo 3 a multiplayer focused experience was a really good idea because that is to a great extent the reason why D2 lasted as long as it has. Turning away from that design is a large reason why D3 is dropping numbers so fast. You've seen the number of people who are upset with Bnet 2.0 and the lack of a fun multiplayer experience haven't you? Why would you want to push the game further down the path of irrelevance?

Looking back at the posts over the last 8 months, I can tell you the number one complaint is the loot system. In fact, the loot system is so unrewarding that people would rather play offline, in hopes the drops would be buffed in replace of the AH. And FYI, having account-bound items has really nothing to do with multiplayer lol. If you want to inprove multiplayer, fix public games and PvP for starters. Yes Diablo 2, the game with no auction house, custom games, and open world PvP. What a thought.
Reply Quote
View profile
Why not add other sinks, like naming items or changing looks? and add costs for each....

BiS just doesnt sound very good to me. just add other uses and turn them into gold sinks....

And make white stuff crafting resourse plz, so people would actually pick it up after lvl 10! Another complaint i have...
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Vexorian, you articulated the point very well. Thank you.

I hate the Auction House. I would rather invest my time finding my own gear. It makes for a much more satisfying experience.

So....you claim you FOUND every piece of gear on your toons?............

I've found a little over half of the gear I wear.

I only use the Auction House when it's absolutely necessary.

But thanks for reinforcing my argument! The fact that someone is HEAVILY scrutinized for claiming their gear is entirely found only reinforces the stigma that the AH is absolutely mandatory for reasonable progression.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 02:14 PMPosted by WitchDoctor
Why not add other sinks, like naming items or changing looks? and add costs for each....

This.

There must be a ton of innovative ways to make people blow a bunch of gold, that aren't completely out there. Maybe change your character's name, add some more customization to your banner, customize your profile's appearance. Something, anything to make our characters look different from one another with height, weight, hair color, whatever. Possibly even the thing that surrounds your paragon level since apparently the longevity aspect of it was too long so it needs to be nerfed...

How about something like Ubers but it costs a lot more gold to craft it's "machine" or whatever you need to get into it? Or some type of lottery deal with customization rewards, or items or whatever. Like the slot machine in Borderlands, I could sit there forever waiting for an awesome item and sure it may not have been BIS when it popped out but it was addicting as hell.

Just anything other than "alright well, I'm gonna need 800,000,000 gold to get near that item that I want unless I am extremely lucky... here we go act 3.."

This is a great discussion though. In my opinion I could go either way with the new craftable items. Part of me wants to be able to throw them on the AH if I roll a decent one that I don't need/want, but as someone else said part of me wouldn't mind that individuality of "hey, I worked on crafting this baby for a while." That's of course until a lot of people get their hands on decent rolls for themselves as well. Hopefully we'll be able to dye them.
Reply Quote
Making items account bound is a SMART idea because...

- It adds elements to the game that hinder the 'pay-to-win' mentality people already have
- It promotes self-exploration of the game rather than AH management
- It's independent of the economy. Players don't have to worry about profiting on their upgrade rather than actually using it.
- It brings an element of loot hunting back to the game. Diablo is first and foremost a loot hunting game. People argue that trade is an important element and they are right. But loot hunting is THE single most important part of these games. BoA gear forces loot hunting back into the game. It's probably not the best way to go about it but it's certainly effective.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]