Diablo® III

Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

MVP
View profile
I don't mean to an elitist here, but your character's gear probably wouldn't work too well at the higher monster powers. Admittedly, barbs are pretty OP, so you could probably do MP5-7, I don't think 8+ would be feasible. Maybe you are the 'average player' but I don't think it's a stretch there's 50% of the community that is better and worse geared and you.

Me, I did MP8-10 before I decided to start selling some of the gear I was wearing. The odds of getting the gear I was using was VERY LOW from farming alone. I was basically able to do it by trading my way to it using the AH. Therefore I think your post has a bit of a bias against that AH. I also had a ton of fun shopping for the gear, which I think lots of people enjoy too.

I can do higher level MP runs and be quite successful. MP 6-7 is quite comfortable but horribly inefficient.

But the real point is, the gear progression is unbelievably slow, even for a Blizzard game. There isn't an inbetween as far as gear progression is concerned. Since DPS is so heavily reliant upon having Crit, Crit Damage, IAS, and Weapon Damage any gear that doesn't contain these stats seems horribly out of place. There is no such thing as linear progression in gear... it proceeds along a very exponentially high upward curve that seems to just jump out of nowhere.

Current Gear Progression
http://i.imgur.com/kMFQP8w.png

Ideal Gear Progression
http://i.imgur.com/jjdJbDZ.png

Hence why the Auction House is an absolute mandate at this point. In order to progress in gear, you must first roll the correct stats.

Having BoA gear that is GUARANTEED to roll a certain stat IN ADDITION to rolling a little higher on your main stat helps alleviate this problem.

Currently, crafting is next to worthless. The new crafted gear will help make crafting much more lucrative.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
What OP is saying is, he is upset that he can't just BUY BIS items, well you can, but he'll know there are possible BETTER ones out there, and he can't bare that. Well too bad OP. stop crying. account bound items are a BRILLIANT idea. Now that there is a long end-game idea, where you actally have to slowly farm your way to get the best gear instead of just being a RMAH hero.

blizz should have done this ages ago.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
02/05/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Lammy
Thanks for clearly not reading my post just above. You can still buy gold and reagants to craft the BiS item without farming. The more money you have, the more likely to get a BiS item. Thus, making it so BoA has NO EFFECT on stopping that. So how BRILLIANT is something that has no effect other than negative ones on the market?

You can't buy demonic essences. Those MUST be farmed.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
The derp is strong with this one. He even bothers to come up with imaginary scenarios where he derps with a real live game developer.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)
Reply Quote
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

Thanks for the post. I love crafting myself, so I am always looking for more options (I would *love* to gear my character endgame with all self-crafted items) :)
Reply Quote

Grimiku,

As I said in another post, if the developers focus on the game, instead of the economy, things will fall in line. Bind on account items, gems, materials are going to be detrimental to the game. Not allowing someone to recoup costs is a bad thing.

Imagine in a real world scenario if you purchased stocks and could never sell them. Would you do it? Probably not. Now factor in the aspect that you will have to likely craft hundreds of these items to make one potential usable one. It's a deal breaker.

Bind on account doesn't belong in a farming game where trading should occur. If Blizz is worried the AH will be flooded with items, make it so they aren't AH tradable, but only in game tradable. Something other than account bound is the only way these are worthwhile, at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]