Diablo® III

Finally caved and tried PoE. Diablo 3 is better.

The deep customization is a gross exaggeration. Just like in diablo and all other ARPGs, there are cookie cutter builds in Path of Exile, and there are builds that are horrendous and won't ever, ever work. 90% of PoE players just follow Kripparian's builds to the number.

I completely hate the concept of having to FIND your skills.. that was the failed system of Diablo 1.. there's a reason Blizz north did away with that system for Diablo 2..
Edited by Paz#1827 on 2/6/2013 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
I completely hate the concept of having to FIND your skills.. that was the failed system of Diablo 1.. there's a reason Blizz north did away with that system for Diablo 2..

To you only.
I for one hate the concept of having every skill unlocked in a fixed order from levels 1-60 and given 0 choice in the matter of how they unlock when in the end they are all the same and mean nothing really. I'd rather have some things unlocked at level 2 since i don't even use 50% of the skills in D3 for any given class. Because some of them are just plain stupid.
Also it's not even FIND all your skills, quests grant you a skill gem or suppor gem in PoE. QQ more if you just lik grinding and doing absolutely mindless tasks that D3 presents.
The deep customization is a gross exaggeration. Just like in diablo and all other ARPGs, there are cookie cutter builds in Path of Exile, and there are builds that are horrendous and won't ever, ever work. 90% of PoE players just follow Kripparian's builds to the number.

and d3 doesn't have any horrendous builds or cookie cutter ones? 90% of poe players? how are you so sure he only has about 5000 viewers watching at a time or so, there's 50k people online given that my queue was 69350 ahead of me, so that's less than 90% if you can do any kind of math and be "objective". i for one dont giev a !@#$ about kripparian and running my ranger with 5.15 attacks per second with a level 5 bow at level 48. Still more viable than any crap demon hunter in d3 ever.

i'm not even anti-d3, but claiming it is objectively and absolutely better than PoE just means you have dirt for taste in games, especially the RPG ones
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/6/2013 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 04:30 PMPosted by KradisZ
QQ more

This is why I find it really hard to have a discussion with you PoE-heads.. you're all immature and emotionally invested in the game. Seriously, you'd think I kicked your dog or something. My recognizing Diablo 3 a superior game has so many panties up in a bunch...

Anyway I played PoE a little more, got up to level 37, here's some more things I really can't stand about the game, that makes it an overall inferior product to D3.

1. The mini-map is garbage, its's so ugly, and looks like D2's minimap.. just for the sake of looking like D2's minimap. The little green pinpoints that represent your party members are not adequate at all.

2. Takes the Action out of Action RPG. Seriously, the gameplay is so clunky.. you can't kite that well. The game is more designed so that you don't run around actively dodging stuff, but just trade blows. You can do a LITTLE kitting and dodging, especially if you start over-stacking your movement speed.. but you cannot actively control your character with the precision that you can in Diablo 3 (or even Diablo 2), and if you disagree with this fact, you're not being objective.. because there's no disagreeing here. It's simply the truth

3. Huge potential for griefing. I don't see any reason in a modern game to have free-for-all looting. And the Timers aren't that great. Just to prove a point I joined a few public parties and simply followed the party around snatching all the drops, including the timer-drops that belong to other players. I'd simply snatch it up right away while we were still fighting mobs. MUCH rage ensued, including kids threatening to report to me mods... how is this exactly supposed to be a good idea? I know the whole "carebear" vs "hardcore" argument, and I've played D2 a sickening amount. I know all about the days of Pickit Hack and the like.. this is a real step backwards.. I'm pretty confident this aspect of the game will either change, or drive more people away.

I know I for one will be snatching up every good drop that I'm able to on sight, unless I'm playing with friends. (But we've already started snatching eachothers drops up even in friend games, and actually mocking eachother over ventrillo about it... ahh the old d2-style random griefing just for the sake of it. How regressive.)

4. In your response to the whole "oh and D3 doesn't have craptastic builds?" My reply is simple: In d3 you don't have to start a brand new character when you discover your build is craptastic.

Path of Exile "rewards" players for exploring unique paths and skill combos... by making you re-roll a new character when he doesn't turn out right. By the time you get mid-way through Cruel, you'll know if your character is capable of progressing or not.

There are other numerous complaints I see pop up in the general chat constantly. So, yea, there are definitly a fair share of "QQ'ers" in PoE's community as there are in D3's.

Also the community isn't better so much as the mods on their forums are VERY aggressive... they will lock and delete threads on sight even if it has valid complaints. No negativity is allowed pretty much, they have that place on super lockdown.

So, there, here's some specific examples of why Diablo 3 is a better game. . . and the best you can do is say "nuh uh, I like that feature" to which I can just shrug and assure myself that the only you reason you force yourself to like Path of Exile is it's the "Anti-Diablo 3." Until it gets incredibly stale long before beta ends.

Path of Exile is really just a current flavor of the month game, I don't forsee it enduring that long.
Hell.. Kripp's endorsement of the game is the only reason it's gained so much attention.
Edited by Paz#1827 on 2/6/2013 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
I keep finding gear, gems and having happy crafting accidents that inspire me to try new wacky character builds! Man, I've been spending A LOT of time theorizing builds on the skill tree.

PoE gives me a very warm, fuzzy goosebumps.

Loving it!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
PoE = Beta
D3 = Completed PoS

My opinion, D3 is missing the most promising features of D2. I still play D2 over D3. Blizzard got soft on there games..they completely ruined WoW for gamers of my type and now D3. I honestly have no hope for their games to satisfy me anymore. This is why I love PoE so far. Its progressing very well, and it isn't made by a multi-billion dollar company.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 08:51 PMPosted by Paz
QQ more

This is why I find it really hard to have a discussion with you PoE-heads.. you're all immature and emotionally invested in the game. Seriously, you'd think I kicked your dog or something. My recognizing Diablo 3 a superior game has so many panties up in a bunch...

Immature? Sorry but you're the FIRST EXAMPLE of immature. Or did you forget this already?
I know the anti-D3 trolls who lurk these forums 24/7 will bombard me with hatred, but I can honestly say that Diablo 3 is objectively a better game.

I'm not saying "I liked Diablo 3 better" nor am I say "I prefer Diablo 3 over Path of Exile, personally."

No, I'm literally saying "Diablo 3 is a better game."

Idiot. Bolded part to make it obvious that you' AREN'T objective AT ALL with 0 elaboration. More like just saying D3 > PoE and PoE is trash because you suck at it. Seriously. Too difficult of a game for you? Man seriously don't play it and stay in D3 idiot. Play a game with your cooldown timers like D3 makes no sense to PUT COOLDOWN TIMERS ON AN ACTION GAME..., PoE lets you burst everything you have if you want and CAN but be left with nothing in seconds if you can't help yourself to use your BRAIN. which leads me to this...

2. Takes the Action out of Action RPG. Seriously, the gameplay is so clunky.. you can't kite that well. The game is more designed so that you don't run around actively dodging stuff, but just trade blows. You can do a LITTLE kitting and dodging, especially if you start over-stacking your movement speed.. but you cannot actively control your character with the precision that you can in Diablo 3 (or even Diablo 2), and if you disagree with this fact, you're not being objective.. because there's no disagreeing here. It's simply the truth

Takes thea ction out of Action RPG? I beg to differ D3 does that very well, you run the same map over and over linearly in whatever path you want to start along A to B but it's still A to B or B to A at least PoE randomizes the map so there's no optimal farming route EVER unlike D3. Jesus. Not to mention COOLDOWN TIMERS that are LONG and DEATH TIMERS, where's the action in watching and sitting waiting for !@#$ to cooldown? Lmao. PoE? 0 death timers. Only exp penalty on zerging and deathing a lot on cruel and higher difficulty. Good, stops idiots from progressing who don't think at all.

You can't kite at all in Diablo 3, lmao, teleport away and a mob can you hit a mile away if it's mid attack into its animation, working as intended and confirmed by Bashiok since May and June of 2012. Fking sad. Teleport isn't so teleport, it's just a SUPER FAST vault can't even traverse a cliff with a crappy long cooldown. Broken implementation and poor execution.

3. Huge potential for griefing. I don't see any reason in a modern game to have free-for-all looting. And the Timers aren't that great. Just to prove a point I joined a few public parties and simply followed the party around snatching all the drops, including the timer-drops that belong to other players. I'd simply snatch it up right away while we were still fighting mobs. MUCH rage ensued, including kids threatening to report to me mods... how is this exactly supposed to be a good idea? I know the whole "carebear" vs "hardcore" argument, and I've played D2 a sickening amount. I know all about the days of Pickit Hack and the like.. this is a real step backwards.. I'm pretty confident this aspect of the game will either change, or drive more people away.

Drops aren't even that significant and if you're too busy ninja and looting and worrying rather than killing in an actual party, learn to find others who don't do that duh. BETTER THAN D3 imagine if your loot wasn't instanced? LOLOLOL. Plus I don't even really care I ujst pick up whites and upgrade them? I have no idea what age of era these gamers are these days but it sounds lik you're all a bunch of people who've never played any kind of RPG before. D3's driven away tons of people just because of an AH and turned it into a gold generating bot-fest. I don't think that's any better?

I know I for one will be snatching up every good drop that I'm able to on sight, unless I'm playing with friends. (But we've already started snatching eachothers drops up even in friend games, and actually mocking eachother over ventrillo about it... ahh the old d2-style random griefing just for the sake of it. How regressive.)

I play with my friend we don't really give a %^-* who gets what as long as mobs die and creeps die, and just trade after if we really need it which 95% of the time we don't need what we found between what we pick up. Sorry you got !@#$ty friends. The current system sucks for public but for private parties with friends it's perfect.

4. In your response to the whole "oh and D3 doesn't have craptastic builds?" My reply is simple: In d3 you don't have to start a brand new character when you discover your build is craptastic.

Completely different subject, thanks for going off topic. You said PoE has horrendous builds and have to re-roll to restart, puh-lease. If you even knew what you were building you wouldn't have a horrendous build, how else did you think people beat Inferno in Diablo 3 back before they nerfed it and before enrage timers were removed? LoL too many people like you whined and complaineda bout it being so hard that they nerfed it and put monster power in it so you can SET YOUR OWN DIFFICULTY NOW *facepalm* why not design that to begin with from the start? It's called disappointment and fail and don't know what they're doing. I hope PoE doesn't cave in to newbies.

Like I said, STAY IN D3.

Path of Exile "rewards" players for exploring unique paths and skill combos... by making you re-roll a new character when he doesn't turn out right. By the time you get mid-way through Cruel, you'll know if your character is capable of progressing or not.

I'm almost done cruel and I'm using a level 5 bow and I'm level 48. Yeah so need to re-roll. Nope.

There are other numerous complaints I see pop up in the general chat constantly. So, yea, there are definitly a fair share of "QQ'ers" in PoE's community as there are in D3's.

Those are funny to read, because tehy complain about everything hard in PoE that makes it actually fun for those of us who like to plan and build an actual character. D3 you don't need any planning go whatever route you want, then just switch and copy and paste someone else's build off the armory and you're good to go. rofl.
If any one of the new gaming age has played Magic the Gathering, FF10 or FF7 at ALL they'll be fairly familiar with PoE. But I doubt it, kids these days are all about "OH GRAPHICS" , "NEED THAT EZ MODE 100% respec 100% of the time", "OMG exp death penalty" .... all things spoken like a casual. Death penalty = stop you from zerging, no full respec = use your brain, graphics = that's not gaming.

Also the community isn't better so much as the mods on their forums are VERY aggressive... they will lock and delete threads on sight even if it has valid complaints. No negativity is allowed pretty much, they have that place on super lockdown.

Yeah right more like threads gettingi out of control, at least the devs actually LOG ON and ASK people and get a LOT of feedback that is both negatiev AND positive. Unlike here, where it's just crickets. FYI Community Managers are NOT developers in Blizzard just to LET YOU KNOW.

So, there, here's some specific examples of why Diablo 3 is a better game. . . and the best you can do is say "nuh uh, I like that feature" to which I can just shrug and assure myself that the only you reason you force yourself to like Path of Exile is it's the "Anti-Diablo 3." Until it gets incredibly stale long before beta ends.

what specific examples? are you high? All you'v spoken about is PoE, LOL this isn't a discussion at all provide some and i'll refute you, it's so easy.

Path of Exile is really just a current flavor of the month game, I don't forsee it enduring that long.
Hell.. Kripp's endorsement of the game is the only reason it's gained so much attention.

you lick kripp's shoes or something?
Reply Quote
poe is what I paid for in d3 pre-order

should have bought kiwis instead : (
Reply Quote
To me, D3=TL2=PoE. Every game gives me a different experience that appeals to me, and every game has its pros and cons. I've played a little over 750 hours of Diablo 3 since its release, about 50 hours of TL2, and I've been playing PoE for about 40ish hours now. I've made it to Act 3 Cruel as a level 50 Marauder built around not being able to get stunned, Two Handed Maces, and a Heavy Strike w/ LL Sweep w/LOH Molten Shield w/ Mana Reduction build on the Default league.

For Diablo 3, it has really smooth and satisfying combat with some very mediocre customization. One of the major flaws of combat, which is thankfully being patched out in 1.0.7, was that there was a "Hit Recovery" system that there were very little counters to. In Diablo 2, we had a "Faster hit/block recovery" affix that would counter being stun locked or hit hard and losing control of our character. There is no such affix in Diablo 3, and I felt pigeon-holed into the WW/Sprint build because it completely negates this mechanic (can't be stunned/knockbacked while WW). With that mechanic gone in the next patch, I can see several more builds being possibly as efficient or even more efficient. Monster Power in Public Games will be a great addition to, as I never did Public games since I want to play with Monster Power.

Torchlight 2 was my defacto "single player" experience. I enjoyed stat building and tree customization, but I also found the itemization lacking in Torchlight 2 as much as it is in Diablo 3. Too often did I find Blue named items with a crappy single affix (how is this possible?!) and since I played single player, any "mysterious" items I found generally turned out to be for other classes I didn't play. It's an ok game, haven't touched it in awhile.

Path of Exile is a happy medium between the two for me. It has the same "always on DRM" that Diablo 3 is infamously known for (and oddly enough no one complains about it in PoE), so I have to suffer through random DCs (hey, it's a beta). There are several flaws I think PoE has - death means going back to town (and screw you if you didn't make a portal before predicting your death), the game has an anti-progression feel to it with the lack of check points and really quick re-randomization of maps, inefficient builds means you get to start over, etc.

However, if you actually stop, think, and plan ahead using the Passive Tree calculator on the website and do a little bit of light reading (not on going for cookie cutter builds) about certain mechanics and itemization on the wiki, you'll be able to create an efficient character as long as you're not being stupid about it. You can make almost anything work, as long as you stick to maximizing your strengths while covering your weaknesses, you should be fine, even as a melee character.

I'd like to finish Merciless before forming a complete opinion about the game, but so far, I've enjoy what I've played.
Edited by Begaria#1359 on 2/7/2013 6:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
That's weird that halfway threw cruel you find out that your spec doesn't work...cause on my play threw I found out my spec DOES work because I figured these things out before instead of having my hand held with this ridiculous game
Reply Quote
Since all D3 haters here is gonna play POE. Mind if i have your items?
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:04 PMPosted by Vinallen
Since all D3 haters here is gonna play POE. Mind if i have your items?

are you paying RM for it cuz if youa re i'll put it on the RMAH.
Reply Quote
The thing is so clunky.. the inventory space is so ungodly low and the barter system, I don't call it "complex and deep." I call it "needlessly convoluted." Note, I didn't say "needlessly complex", I said convoluted. Because it's really not complex at all, it's just plain annoying.

There are plans to improve the barter system. The game is still in beta after all. Even then a convoluted system of trade is preferable to D3's auction house, do you really want another game where you play auction house tycoon? I for one want to actually play the game, not the AH.
Edited by Mephasm#1905 on 2/8/2013 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
84 Human Warrior
Paz tries too hard. Subtlety will get you a long way, remember that.
Reply Quote
I can honestly say that Diablo 3 is objectively a better game.

I stopped reading right there. Your obviously not intelligent enough to take seriously.
Reply Quote

Another example of your lack of objectivity. This isn't even remotely true. They lock out obvious trolls and people breaking the easy to understand forum rules.

For example if you made a new thread complaining about the FFA looting system they will lock your thread and direct you to the one long main thread that this is being disucssed. This is done to keep the forum from being cluttered talking about the exact same things.

By the way the devs are discussing looting options right now. Your complaints about PoE are easily fixed. D3 is damaged at its very core. Big difference
Reply Quote
PoE is on IGN's top 10 games out right now at #10, and its a beta. I don't put much stock in that list but the evidence is pointing at an inevitable conclusion. Blizzard, you better get your asses to work!

OT: Someone said in another thread Blizzard has stated there will be no D4. I wonder if there is a source for this comment?
Edited by Silocibe#1270 on 2/9/2013 8:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
I can honestly say that Diablo 3 is objectively a better game.

I stopped reading right there. Your obviously not intelligent enough to take seriously.

Couldnt agree more, D3 is too static and linear to ever change for the better. All they can do is add more of the same crap to the pile of crap they already have.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 12:38 PMPosted by Saga
because he was basically helping promote the game, and not by the request of the developers.
hahahha

Yeah right.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]