Diablo® III

Finally caved and tried PoE. Diablo 3 is better.

View profile
Torch Light 2 is still the best. :)
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
My goodness. You got all that from "hahaha, yeah, right?"

Not hard to tell what he meant, given the flow of the conversation between Saga and Paz before that and vex's posting history. Even easier to understand what he meant when he cut much of the quoted post to focus on the part about it not being at the request of the developer.

I've already explained why I said what I said, but I'll say it again: I was responding to a prevalent idea that indie studios don't use common business practices, i.e., celebrity endorsements, to gain marketshare.

By the way, not having corporate suits breathing down one's neck doesn't mean that there aren't any deadlines. With the firestorm that has surrounded D3, now is the perfect time for PoE and it'd be unwise for GGG to delay its release for a couple of years as it would give Blizzard time to adjust and fix, and even put out an expansion.

Fun fact: Open Beta for PoE was supposed to launch sometime in August or September of 2012. They have the freedom to fudge around with deadlines when needed - a freedom that doesn't happen as often when corporate suits and big money publishers are footing the bill.

That said, I was pointing out that the prevalent idea you were responding too...wasn't a part of the conversation until you brought it up. You saw something that wasn't there and managed to mock another poster in the process. Congrats.

Uhm, the conversation evolved? You know, it happens all the time when people talk, even on forums. The topic shifts from D3 being better than PoE to whether Krip was paid by GGG before or after he started streaming to whether or not GGG needs to actively promote their game just like the big studios do. And if the thread continues to grow, it'll shift some more.

The conversation shifted in that direction because you took it there...by talking about an idea that wasn't part of the conversation. That's what I'm curious about - why insinuate that another poster is being idealistic or naive about something, when what you are implying they are being naive about wasn't a part of the conversation until you implied it? Odd way of making a point.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
02/13/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Berethos
Fun fact: Open Beta for PoE was supposed to launch sometime in August or September of 2012. They have the freedom to fudge around with deadlines when needed - a freedom that doesn't happen as often when corporate suits and big money publishers are footing the bill.

Good for them. I mean it. I'm glad that GGG is able to take its time to make sure that they put out a quality game. As I said before, this can only benefit us as gamers.

02/13/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Berethos
The conversation shifted in that direction because you took it there...by talking about an idea that wasn't part of the conversation. That's what I'm curious about - why insinuate that another poster is being idealistic or naive about something, when what you are implying they are being naive about wasn't a part of the conversation until you implied it? Odd way of making a point

Judging by your posts, I think you're more than intelligent enough to connect the posting dots, but since you indicate that you can't, I'll connect them for you:

1. Saga, responding to a comment by the OP, claimed that Krip was approached by GGG only after he started streaming PoE.

2. vexorian expressed skepticism whether that was true.

3. I agreed with vexorian, stating that it is smart business practice to pursue celebrity endorsements.

So there you have it. Drawn from this very thread. 1-2-3.

Also, notice how Saga extracted a part of the OP's post and responded to it, then vexorian responded to Saga, and then I responded to vexorian? That is the topic naturally shifting right before our very eyes. Amazing, isn't it?

But beyond all that, I'm curious too--about how bothered you appear to be about my comments. Comments that do fit in with the flow of the thread, despite your repeated claims to the contrary. Do they offend you? If so, why? Are you associated with GGG? And even if you are, why would what I said upset you? I haven't accused GGG of shady shenanigans. To the contary, I said they were savvy and smart.

Talk about being odd.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 02:14 AMPosted by FrodoFragins
^ lol. until you item hunt or theory craft? Aren't those two of the most important parts of this genre????

Most important is smooth, fun, fast paced combat. There's no excuse for not getting that right before anything else. D3 has that and can easily add theorycrafting and better currencies. POE is unlikely to fix the poor combat. I've yet to see a game this close to release ever make the big fixes to combat. It jsut never happens.

Item hunting is fun if the combat is fun. I loved D3 til the end game. That's why I don't play it. I dislike POE leveling so getting to the item hunting part is a boring grind. I wouldn't theory craft until I had good items for leveling alts. I may quit before that ever happens.

You got that exactly wrong. In an ARPG you need the RPG part to work well and can improve the action pretty easily. PoE already has good combat and its getting better. D3 can not easily fix the poor item hunt and poor currency/economy. Their core systems are so messed up, how the hell could they easily add good theory crafting? Thats ridiculous.
Reply Quote
so... End Game in D3 is AH and run Act 3 for thousand hour IS BETTER than a lot of different END GAME MAP in POE??? Are u kidding me?
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 10:19 PMPosted by DenTaGraM
so... End Game in D3 is AH and run Act 3 for thousand hour IS BETTER than a lot of different END GAME MAP in POE??? Are u kidding me?
are you juding peoples freewill?
Reply Quote
Yes totaly better gameplay and more fun, then trashy poe bleh, its dead anyway :)
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 05:41 AMPosted by Alyss
Yes totaly better gameplay and more fun, then trashy poe bleh, its dead anyway :)

Yeah so dead they are making 1 patch with at least 1 new skill and 3 new legendaries EVERY WEEK, besides bug fixing and adding content.
Reply Quote
i'll just give my honest assessment. I loved d2 and torchlight , almost all arpgs.

D3 in beta and launch was terrible and i was really disheartened by blizz and didn't buy it. I finally played it just a month ago and it was a blast tlil this past month.

The class structure in d3 and the passives etc.. were fun at the start but , there is no variety. There are very specific builds that work for very speicific things. It's no fun having no variety with my character.

After a full month of extreme gameply addiction. I run keeps mp5 inferno nonstop. I fill my inventory up with certain rares, and i don't even pick up legendaries sometimes if i see "wizard hat" and it's far away (im archon, going back for junk isn't an option).

There is just nothing to do aside from act 3 runs. D3 was worth the money though this time around. i thorouhly enjoyed it up until the end of the month.

Now poe , i downloaded and installed and it's just incredibly slow. Little annoyances just keep me from playing it. I cant right click to sell, it seems like a crawl in terms of action. I am hearing it gets better as you level up it's just hard to level up because it really is that boring to start.

There is no "compare item" and i havent even looked at the ui much to see if i can display damage numbers. The templar would had been my favorite if he didn't look like that . The model designs are a bit ugly for my taste, all of them.

IF the gameplay is good and rewarding i may give it another whirl this weekend when i can commit a few hours to get over the early level hump. All in all though, d3 just doesn't have much longevity.
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 10:29 AMPosted by taconite
Now poe , i downloaded and installed and it's just incredibly slow.

It can get really fast at higher levels depending on your build, you have to go a long way to become extremely fast, via the passive skilltree or support gems, but it happens often that you get a little bit faster, and in mid- to endgame, depending on your build, you will become much faster than any character at D3.^^ It´s part of the game, "path" of exile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CHGLWhMunM&list=PLt5SL2R19SuLFX61HjO-6jJw-iy42tFOR&index=2
I cant right click to sell

I can help you: Ctrl + Click ;)
Maybe you should take a look at this:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1199
I am hearing it gets better as you level up it's just hard to level up because it really is that boring to start.

Yes it gets better, it´s called progression. If you are not patient, then it´s maybe not the game for you.
There is no "compare item" and i havent even looked at the ui much to see if i can display damage numbers

Open your character screen, and you see every info you need if you put on this or that item or gem, or whatever. You just dont have the direct info because this game is a little bit more complicated than D3, where you see damage going up or down, or vitality or protection, etc.
The templar would had been my favorite if he didn't look like that . The model designs are a bit ugly for my taste, all of them.

This is the more realistic style of PoE, maybe you prefer the more cartoony D3-Style, which is absolutely ok. And btw, in PoE you can make almost any class the way you want it to be played. It´s only the starting point on the tree which determines your closer abilities to go this or that way, and to a huge part your experience.

Just like you said in your last paragraph, give it more time. Then you will see if the game is able to keep you going ;)

Have fun!
It´s F2P^^
Edited by OldBoy#2656 on 3/22/2013 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
This is pretty simple, remove his tirade and replace it with:

i missed the whole point of what this genre is supposed to be
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]