Diablo® III

Lets talk Shields Shall We.

Are high end Rare shields better in PvP than a Stormshield? I think stormshields are a jump on the band wagon thing. I know they are good with high Block chance. But.................. is the higher block chance stormshield better than a rare shield with the following stats for example....

Strength 230
Vitality 250
All Res 70
Crit Hit 9+
block chance 20
Reply Quote
Depends on the rest of the gear and synergy of skills with said gear.

For example, my dagger (lucky drop) fits my build perfectly but wouldn't be as valued with a HOTA/rend build. Some items (mempos, EF, skorns) are universally considered valuable if they possess certain properties. Crit mempos, EF's w/ LS or crit, skorns w/LS are EXPENSIVE for a reason....but know this, I rolled a garbage EF and salvaged it due to the properties being absolute crap. Not all SS are great...I have 2 sitting in a mules stash and doubt they'd sell for half a mil each.

To answer your question directly---There are builds that would benefit more from a good rare shield than an SS.

Cheers
Reply Quote
^
Edited by Bloodyzbub#1683 on 2/6/2013 6:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
The game checks your DODGE chance (tied to DEX) first, and then if that fails it moves on to BLOCK chance (independent of DODGE). I don't believe DEX has anything to do with BLOCK, so its strictly that percentage on your shield (plus any bonuses). If you have a 30% chance to block vs. 20%, I would think that would help quite a bit. The HP gain having 200+ VIT might offset the extra 10% of attacks at the lower MP levels, but I"m sure the higher MP levels would be quite a difference. I have no clue when it comes to PvP. That's a different animal.
Reply Quote
Maybe... The elite damage reduction for pvp seems like a big deal, which SS has. Without the elite affix and without melee reduction, then a shield with similar stats to that you listed shows about a 3% ehp gain and 1.5% dps gain. I think the shield would have to be even better than that to surpass my SS with my current gear. If it had life %, armor, more str, more vit, added block %, or huge dex roll, then it would surpass my SS.
Reply Quote
@BigBaller - Check out my observation when i fought a Top Barb (RustyShark) from Asia server who uses a godly roll Rare Shield. See the link below

We still believe that the mitigation from Stormshield is just unparalled.

==> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708952014?page=10
Reply Quote
I understand that the additional VIT, life% on a rare shield does look more appealing and better than the additional block% by SS, but some barbs don't tend to appreciate the additional melee and elite reduction % from SS which is far more greater than VIT/life%. In my scenaro above i fought a barb with 170K HP against me who has only around 110k HP that time. However i have extreme and better damage mitigation (Combination of AR, block% and dodge) than him. If you will see my remaining HP after the duel it doesn't even go drop by 50%
Reply Quote
You guy does not good at match, good Rare Shield simply better than SS
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 12:35 AMPosted by HieuCucBeo

Talk is Cheap, explain to me why. I'm not theoryrafting here boy, i have facts and i have tested it. And how can you tell me we are not match? we both have 4M+ EHP and 100K+ DPS.
Reply Quote
I'm not raising an arguement or debate here in which shield is better. I'm just trying to give advice to my mate BigBaller with my own experience. I'm done with this

@BigBaller - its up to you to decide.

Nike
Reply Quote

Talk is Cheap, explain to me why. I'm not theoryrafting here boy, i have facts and i have tested it. And how can you tell me we are not match? we both have 4M+ EHP and 100K+ DPS.

In Rare Shields you can get 6 affixes like:

Rare Shield
Critical Hit Chance
Reduce duration of control impairing effects
Vitality
Life %
Main Stats
Bonus Against Elites
Reduce Against Elites

Storm Shield is good for PVE.
Rare Shield totally better on PVP because can provide much more usefull affixes
Block in PVE is ok but when PVP come out i think definetely Rare Shield become on top.
Edited by HieuCucBeo#6322 on 2/7/2013 1:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
I got your point but we are talking about facts and not posibilities. Have you even thought the probability of producing those rolls? Considering you have not even included AR in it and additional block %?

Query dprog now and look for the best roll you can get in the world then come back to me. Much better if you can query something like what you mentioned if it does really exist..
Reply Quote
I got your point but we are talking about facts and not posibilities. Have you even thought the probability of producing those rolls? Considering you have not even included AR in it and additional block %?

Query dprog now and look for the best roll you can get in the world then come back to me. Much better if you can query something like what you mentioned if it does really exist..

I do have about 10-15 Shields with affixes which i mentioned above. You really think that Block change is important in PVP where incoming damage is huge?
Reply Quote
I actually do agree the chance to block on stormshield could be a better stat on a rare shield.

My monk has a shield with all resist / dex / vit / elite dmg reduction / crit chance / and cc reduction I'v yet to see a better shield when I look for one on the AH if stormshield rolled dex instead of str I wouldn't even bother looking at it as a possible upgrade.
Reply Quote

I do have about 10-15 Shields with affixes which i mentioned above. You really think that Block change is important in PVP where incoming damage is huge?

10-15? ok im done with you, seems like you don't even know what dprog is and most importantly you don't even have any idea on WHO's your talking to.
Reply Quote
You dont belive me? add me, when i come online i will show you.
Reply Quote
Nikeboy,

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. Another question. Does the damage from elites stack with the damage from physical? So if I have 7 and 6 and I playing in PVP(players cosidered elites) If I take physical damage from a player would I actually get 13 or 14% reduction(depending on shield stats obviously) when dueling another player?
Reply Quote

10-15? ok im done with you, seems like you don't even know what dprog is and most importantly you don't even have any idea on WHO's your talking to.

LOL
Reply Quote
delete
Edited by AKS#6116 on 2/7/2013 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]