Diablo® III

Lets talk Shields Shall We.

Nikeboy,

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. Another question. Does the damage from elites stack with the damage from physical? So if I have 7 and 6 and I playing in PVP(players cosidered elites) If I take physical damage from a player would I actually get 13 or 14% reduction(depending on shield stats obviously) when dueling another player?

hey man im honestly (Edit) NOT sure how that thing worked, but if you check my left ring (Glistening Lantern)

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/nikeboy1984-6661/Xena/22231737

it's stats is almost the same with a Litany, 150+STR, AR, 4.5CC, 40+CD, however it has additional DEX and VIT (OS) which Litany doesn't have. However i compared it with my Litany and noticed on PVP that the additional mitigation of the elite damage reduction works for me better than the additional DEX and VIT from my rare ring. So i prefer to use a Litany in PVP rather than my Glistening Lantern. This is only my observation, i think it will be a case to case basis though depending really on how you build your barb as a whole. But Litany+SS really works for me very well..

Mitigation is very important especially with playing with top geared players. Even top Monks will definitely have a hard time... Below is an example when i played with a top monk friend.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/photon-1551/PhotonMonk/7881237

http://i46.tinypic.com/wu5k7b.png
http://i48.tinypic.com/2zrlv5u.png

Nike
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 2/7/2013 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 05:56 PMPosted by BigBaller
PvP

off topic but i didnt know pvp was added
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Sauerkraut12
PvP

off topic but i didnt know pvp was added

Well it has'nt yet. But if your playing the PTR which many have..........these guys have been trying out the PvP for a while now and getting very good info. I have not. Just to lazy to do it. But I want to have good info before making purchases. I have made many mistakes upgrading gear only to upgrade later because of some little trait or build characteristic that I overlooked. Cost me millions of gold. I try to stay ahead of this now.

But in case you did not get the memo, many of the regulars around have already been playing pvp.
Reply Quote
@BigBaller - now send me a truck of Red Bull! :)
Reply Quote
Each % mitigation source stacks, but is counted separately. So if you have 6% melee, 5% melee, 7% elite, and 6% elite reduction, you take .94*.95*.93*.94 damage, not .89*.87 or .76 damage.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Celanian
Each % mitigation source stacks, but is counted separately. So if you have 6% melee, 5% melee, 7% elite, and 6% elite reduction, you take .94*.95*.93*.94 damage, not .89*.87 or .76 damage.

That's what I'm talking about, isn't great that we have Barb Mathematicians around? Thanks Cel!
Reply Quote
Are high end Rare shields better in PvP than a Stormshield? I think stormshields are a jump on the band wagon thing. I know they are good with high Block chance. But.................. is the higher block chance stormshield better than a rare shield with the following stats for example....

Strength 230
Vitality 250
All Res 70
Crit Hit 9+
block chance 20

i had a shield with
274 str
312 vit
crit 7
ar 49
cc red 9
block 14

i would never go back to it, am using a 9.5 crit 31 block 194 str ss now and the migitation of the block is lifesaving. unless some really godly shield ever drops with same stats and my old with + block instead cc red a good ss will always be better.
Edited by AlNeo#2621 on 2/7/2013 1:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

i would never go back to it, am using a 9.5 crit 31 block 194 str ss now and the migitation of the block is lifesaving. unless some really godly shield ever drops with same stats and my old with + block instead cc red a good ss will always be better.

Plz, is block chance really helpful in pvp? I mean, have you guys tested it and liked it?

Is mitigation really much better than total EHP for a pvp barb?

What about SS x other classes, like wd and dh? Is it good?
Edited by Yue#1592 on 2/8/2013 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
Does block work with dot like rend?
Reply Quote
I got my dirt cheap (500k gold) rare shield for my barb.
It gives 9.5% crit. chance with 7% overpower CC bonus and it has 28% block.

It's strange that the 28% block doesn't show on my barb profile.
When I pull my profile into http://www.d3rawr.com/d, it shows in the dps calculator.

Is this a good shield?
Does anyone have similar problem (item stat not showing on profile)?
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 2/8/2013 12:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 10:11 AMPosted by donk
Does block work with dot like rend?

Not for sure, but I wouldn't think so. A successful block is just a damage reducer by an amount. So, say you have 90% damage reduction combined between resists and armor, you have a shield that has a block amount between 3706-4706 (4206 avg), and you blocked an attack that was 100k, then the 100k attack gets reduced to 10k from your DR and then goes to ~5800 on average from your shield's block amount.

So if you were hit full on (did not block) with a dot, I wouldn't think that each tick of the dot would have a chance at a block, since the original attack succeeded. The question I would have is if you DID block rend would each tick be reduced by your block amount? Which I would assume the answer is yes, since each tick is lowered by your DR.
Reply Quote
Block is only relevant when you stack mitigation in tandem. In other words, block becomes better the more mitigation you stack. Same goes for life per second. Every block you make is equivalent to a 4-5K heal tick of life regeneration. IMO that's excellent in PVE. Depends in PVP.

If you are receiving damage that is unblockable or far above the block amount, block becomes much less valuable -- duh. But the extra armor, resists, and elite damage reduction are still reducing the overall incoming damage. With 800 AR and 9k armor, each block is worth approximately 90K EHP (with barb 35% melee in PVP bonus).

Block alone is not going to save you, but when combined with dodge and life per second, it provides an additional layer of EHP that scales with attacks per second being received.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]