Diablo® III

Ancient Serpent

or this in 4,000 tries:

200+ dex
6+cc
65+cd
7+cc

This should cost on average 400mil in crafting jeweler price alone, not counting brimstones and gems.

There is this for sale right now on AH for 90mil:
219 dex
9cc
42cd
5cc

It is a crapshoot. An ammy like the one spoken of here (5 desirable stats) would cost on average 5bil according to your source. It was bought for 1.5bil.
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 2/11/2013 9:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Fitz
It is a crapshoot. An ammy like the one spoken of here (5 desirable stats) would cost on average 5bil according to your source. It was bought for 1.5bil.

Umm, I would disagree a little. The 5bil ammy would look like:

250 dex
200 vit
8% as
8cc
70 cd
1 random affix

Which, I would say is better than the one spoken of in this thread.

Also, the 5bil and the 50,000 rolls will pretty much guarantee that you get at least the above. The average expectation will be half that (there will be someone that crafts one the first day and some people that will have to go through all of the rolls, however long that takes). Another thing to consider is that you will also get so many "good" rolls along the way that you'll have to pick and choose from dozens of amulets. Some may have LoH, or an extra resist or armor or Reduced dmg from elites and you could use those in PvP for example, etc. When you commit the 1.5 bil to a single amulet that's it, if you realize later "I would have really liked to have X on that ammy", well you'd have to commit another similar amount of money to it.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Lazar
Also, the 5bil and the 50,000 rolls will pretty much guarantee that you get at least the above.

Not entirely true. It is just a probability.

I would also assume people know what they want out of an ammy. Now don't get me wrong, I will be trying crafting, and hell, if I get a killer item I may even rebuild my monk around it.

However, people that think its a guaranteed BiS for cheaper than AH though may be in for a letdown.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Fitz
However, people that think its a guaranteed BiS for cheaper than AH though may be in for a letdown.

This.

I think in the end crafting will benefit two audiences the most:

1. very low end players - new to inferno
2. very high end players - with loads of money to gamble with
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:35 AMPosted by gotaplanstan

This.

I think in the end crafting will benefit two audiences the most:

1. very low end players - new to inferno
2. very high end players - with loads of money to gamble with

You forgot #3. The less than few, the not so proud and the extremely lucky that will craft a BiS multi billion gold ammy within their first 10 tries. They will truly benefit the most!
Reply Quote
the extremely lucky that will craft a BiS multi billion gold ammy within their first 10 tries. They will truly benefit the most!

Amen to that. I hope I am one of them!
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Fitz

With the appropriate number of crafts it's a better guarantee than the AH. I don't think I'll personally ever craft enough to get a BiS, but I do think I will eventually get really good ones and most importantly by actually playing the game and not the AH (which is the whole idea I suppose). The money put into the crafting will be spent over such a long period that it won't even be noticeable really. At least not as noticeable as dishing out 50, 100, 200 mil (or 1.5 bil) with 1 click :).

It is true that mid-level amulets (and the other craft-able items) may actually sink in price, so that people end up going to the AH again for upgrades that become not so expensive, but that's just speculation.

Oh, and crafting will benefit another group of people -- those that like gambling :)
Edited by Lazar#1776 on 2/12/2013 9:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Fitz
the extremely lucky that will craft a BiS multi billion gold ammy within their first 10 tries. They will truly benefit the most!

Amen to that. I hope I am one of them!

Like Jirads barb HF ring >_> first or 2nd roll.

I can with confidence proclaim that I will be assisting in evening out the numbers by crafting lots of very terrible equipment.

In regards to crafting better than some stuff on AH, considering that simply by crafting one thing does not rule it out from being crafted AGAIN, means every single time you craft you have the exact same probability of getting what you want. This means the notion of crafting X amount of items will eventually get you what you want is entirely false.
Edited by Enot#1820 on 2/12/2013 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
In regards to crafting better than some stuff on AH, considering that simply by crafting one thing does not rule it out from being crafted AGAIN, means every single time you craft you have the exact same probability of getting what you want. This means the notion of crafting X amount of items will eventually get you what you want is entirely false.

I beg to differ. It's probability distribution of course, but after crafting thousands of amulets you are pretty much guaranteed to get a good one.

Let me give you a very simple example. The probability of rolling a 6 with a die is 1 in 6. Thus the probability of rolling 2 sixes with 2 dice is 1 in 36. Try rolling 2 dice and see how long it takes you to get 2 sixes. On average it will be 36 (of course it may take you 42 or you may roll it on the first try, but it won't take you thousands of rolls).
Edited by Lazar#1776 on 2/12/2013 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
If let you borrow mine as long as you have the deposit. :)
Reply Quote
If let you borrow mine as long as you have the deposit. :)

how about a straight up trade?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
So glad someone brought this thread back to life.

I don't normally do this ... but ...

02/11/2013 11:14 AMPosted by Druin
From my limited testing on the PTR, rolling good BoA items won't be that hard ... we will just move into a phase where you assume each top-tier player will have perfect 6 roll gloves/ammy/bracer and it will become a competition of who has a higher AR roll! :D

TOLD YOU SO!!!! mwahahahahaha

1 in 40000 chance or w/e my rear end.

SO many people got ammys just yesterday alone that would have cost >1b on the AH.

While I had zero intention of actually doing the math, I was pretty darn sure that there was NO WAY good ammys would require thousands of rolls to get. Happy to see I was correct. :D
Edited by Druin#1518 on 2/14/2013 10:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
that is a nice ammy Druin!

i rolled a decent pair of gloves yesterday, only 3000 less dps and same HP. not an upgrade, but that one was nice and i got it on about #25 craft...
Reply Quote
1.0.7 = gear normalization.
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Druin
TOLD YOU SO!!!! mwahahahahaha

Yep! Mine is no Ancien Serpent, but it took a little less than 100 tries to make. Which is what -- less than 10mil? And I sold my old one (which was worse) before the patch for 50 :)
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Druin
mwahahahahaha
Reply Quote
I'll necro this to say, nice amulet u have there Druin. Grats on going green.
Reply Quote
Lol.

I got a new amulet yesterday, I think its pretty fly. Cheaper than honor and serpent.
Reply Quote
It was at about reading Druin's post that I realized this was a necro'd thread, and I also realized WHY it was necro'd.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I will write up a rebuttal to myself tomorrow when I get to work ...

Until then ... damn it me ... you make such good points! ;)

<3 Blazed

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]