Diablo® III

Gearing your CM wizard *Instructional Vids*

Would it be possible to commission you to gear-hunt for me? I'd really like to gear a cmww for ~100m to handle MP 5ish and 10 ubers, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I watched your videos, but it's been so long since I've kept up with D3 I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I'd obviously compensate you for your time.
Reply Quote
hey Boozer if you get a chance could you check out my wiz and give me some pointers?
Im thinking of selling my demon hunter gear and switch over to the wizard. Im curious what i should change i know my armor is low but other than that with the new patch what would you recomend
Reply Quote
Hey Boozer, I have about 100mil to spend on my wizard. I just got him to inferno last night and bought a few pieces to get me started. I only spent about 5 mil or less on the pieces I bought. I know it needs a lot of work, so when you look at his gear don't freak out too bad haha. Could you give me some ideas on what to buy? You could either post here or I could send you a friend request in game.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Just had booze gear my wizard with a budget of 250m. Very dedicated and very professionally done. Will update this when my wiz is old enough to use the gear.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@Dan

Yeah....Booz does a great job, no doubt. Including talking you up from a 100M budget to 250M!! Lol. ^^^

Well spent though, I'm sure.

Booz gave me a good deal on my Chant Will. He's a great resource to to have for gearing up.
Reply Quote
Yeah, well I spoke with him a bit about my options and what I wanted to achieve with my gearing and after all was said and done 100m probably couldn't slack mp10 ubers so I upped my budget.
Reply Quote
@Dan

Yeah....Booz does a great job, no doubt. Including talking you up from a 100M budget to 250M!! Lol. ^^^

Well spent though, I'm sure.

Booz gave me a good deal on my Chant Will. He's a great resource to to have for gearing up.

03/01/2013 02:18 PMPosted by DanAmbro
Yeah, well I spoke with him a bit about my options and what I wanted to achieve with my gearing and after all was said and done 100m probably couldn't slack mp10 ubers so I upped my budget.

I was actually talking to comrade last night that this build in particular was giving me some headaches.

I was trying to pinch the budget and stretch it as far as I can go and it all boils down to the wand selection. Chatting up items on trade chat/ private sellers/ etc. Just headaches. Not to mention searching the AH for bargains. Not as easy as it looks ^^

_________

Story time/ Rant time.

A month ago, when I started gearing with these budgets, I'd always be able to find good 1.78 wands and gear 6x 9 speed items easily within budget (those 1.78 wands were usually around 40-50m and around 1075-1100) Giving me a lot of flexibility around the other gear.

But lately I've noticed in the past week i've had a hard time getting wands around 20-25% of the total budget without getting jipped on the DPS. I'm finding myself going for slower wands and going 7 items instead of 6 perfect 9s. Or i'm spending 30-35% of the budget on a similar DPS wand as before, but just paying a bit more nowadays. I've noticed price hikes on a lot of items with 9attack speed, more then before, also the avaliability is starting to go down.

I always shoot for 700AR and 4500 armor + of course, and 850+ LOH. Along with 47-50CC. These stats I don't compromise because thats what the SNS build is about. DPS always works itself out around 110-120k for 250m. Sure budgets can be hit with sub-par items and 500-550 AR and 4k armor, but thats not how I like to build them, and that shouldn't be the right way to teach noobies how to gear up from IMO.

______

End rant :)

And thank you, Dan/Pie for the vouch, cheers.
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Boozor
Sure budgets can be hit with sub-par items and 500-550 AR and 4k armor,

Thats my starter 70m set!
I stopped building them when i ran out of low wands too.

03/01/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Boozor
that shouldn't be the right way to teach noobies how to gear up from IMO

I advocate another theory.
of the starting budget spend on 2 items 50%40% and use 10% or 20m whichever is higher to fill out the rest of the 11 slots.

This way, there are upgrades in the near future to get and 2 items are already solid, hence promoting development.

The starting stats are lower but upgrade potential is higher as there are 2 solid items there.

Just always keep 2.73 50cc 2 apoc 2 loh sources.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Boozor,

So, where do you find yourself at, mitigation and DPS wise, gearing 1.78+/6x9 vs <1.78/7x8? I'd imagine that you'd get more bang-for-the-buck going 7x8? I always lilke 6x9 just so I could add 15 more IAS and easily be at 3.01.....but I always felt that I gave up on alot of DPS. Also, lets you run with rare bracers.

(lately i've been running lacunis and DPS gloves. If I weren't so cheap, I'd splurge on trifecta gloves and go back to rare bracers. Probalby the best thing to do really, with the new crafting. But that's another subject.)
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 3/4/2013 6:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
^

1.78 wand is usually ideal since it frees up for some "creative" Ammy selections.

I always aim for 700 AR and 4500+ armor and 48+ CC to start.

I usually go pox/marrow with a Nats set since they work very nicely together even with a tight budget.

If I'm unable to find a suitable wand I'd be forced to get a trifecta Ammy. That increases the cost by a lot. I'm forced because I won't go tal rasha with a limited budget.

This expensive item pretty much hampers a lot of the other items. I may be forced to have non AR WH or no AR lacunis to compensate the cost.

Dps wise usually an off speed wand I get more dps but less defense whereas 1.78 wand and 6x9 I can squeeze more mitigation at a small dps sacrifice.

Seems like the trend lately is that the 1.78 Wands are getting too expensive for 250m builds. But with the new patch the slight dip in mitigation isn't as bad in favor of a bit more dps.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Yea, I pretty much agree. Having 2 slots where you don't need IAS is huge.....really opens up for creativity. Especially on the Ammy, as you noted. You still need pretty much all 9's though.

I would imagine that only needing 8's on everything would open up its own sort of creativity....especially price wise. Though, as noted, even if you saved a ton elsewhere you're never going to have any sort of selection with a trifecta ammy...so creativity is out the door.

As I came up, I used to always have some flavor of non-All res Tal's Chest with 700+ armor (my highest was 804), which was cheap and an all res SC, which was cheap. Since there was no CC on SC, it just just meant I needed close to max CC elsewhere to get to 47CC or so. Similar with the Pants. I guess I always figured that since Pants and Chest are the only two places that can roll over 800 armor I'd better take advantage of that. That being said, I've always lagged behind in All Res....though its always been respectable. My armor has always been over 5000 though and counterbalanced the lower All Res. (well, with the exception of what's on my toon right now. That's a crafting/AH story).
Reply Quote
Yea, I pretty much agree. Having 2 slots where you don't need IAS is huge.....really opens up for creativity. Especially on the Ammy, as you noted. You still need pretty much all 9's though.

I would imagine that only needing 8's on everything would open up its own sort of creativity....especially price wise. Though, as noted, even if you saved a ton elsewhere you're never going to have any sort of selection with a trifecta ammy...so creativity is out the door.

As I came up, I used to always have some flavor of non-All res Tal's Chest with 700+ armor (my highest was 804), which was cheap and an all res SC, which was cheap. Since there was no CC on SC, it just just meant I needed close to max CC elsewhere to get to 47CC or so. Similar with the Pants. I guess I always figured that since Pants and Chest are the only two places that can roll over 800 armor I'd better take advantage of that. That being said, I've always lagged behind in All Res....though its always been respectable. My armor has always been over 5000 though and counterbalanced the lower All Res. (well, with the exception of what's on my toon right now. That's a crafting/AH story).

The 8s does and doesn't allow for some flexibility.

As I've said. I would need a trifecta ammy to offset the <1.78 wand. Half decent trifecta ammies are not cheap, and after all said and done, it eats into some of the flexibility of the other items because of budget constraints.

I agree that armor is a suitable replacement for AR in some respects, but mainly due to price. If I had the budget, it will always be AR first. A belt with STR and armor roll really gives a solid armor count, as well as you've mentioned heavy armor on pants/chest. Even ammy can roll some awesome armor. This all helps with losing some of the AR.

Most recently, I had to make due with a 1.73 wand for a build. But it was 1200 dps and I had to roll armor on WH and lacunis instead of AR because of a solid trifecta ammy I found and won.

AR was shy this time around. Hovering around 650, but dps was much higher then expected around 135k. This is around 20k dps more then expected.
Reply Quote
Wow. So i recently sold a Nat ring which netted me about 1b total gold. I created a thread last night asking if anyone could help me build a cm/archon set. I woke up this morning with a friend request from boozor. In no time, less than 2 hours, he was able to spend 945m on two amazing sets! 260k archon and 145k cm and really high mitigation on both! They are absolutely phenomenal and i would recommend boozor to anyone who wishes to have awesome gear! Thanks again dude, i only wish i had more money to tip you!
Reply Quote
03/10/2013 01:21 PMPosted by Nubbyn
Wow. So i recently sold a Nat ring which netted me about 1b total gold. I created a thread last night asking if anyone could help me build a cm/archon set. I woke up this morning with a friend request from boozor. In no time, less than 2 hours, he was able to spend 945m on two amazing sets! 260k archon and 145k cm and really high mitigation on both! They are absolutely phenomenal and i would recommend boozor to anyone who wishes to have awesome gear! Thanks again dude, i only wish i had more money to tip you!

Cheers Dub, thanks for taking the time to write this I appreciate it. After testing around with your the archon set, I was compelled to play a bit of Archon grinding myself :)

Still a nice change from the CM spamming!

Enjoy the sets, they are one of the best I've made. Probably because prices of items are much cheaper now then a couple weeks ago.
Reply Quote
Any advice on where to go from my current gear. Just hit 60 couple days ago and followed your guide. Thanks.
Reply Quote
you would want to move towards a CC/CD ammy which means a Tal rasha Chest (depending on budget ) and moving the pox to a trifecta or IAS/CC 30m++

Move back to zuni only after you can get a 9ias Trifecta Ammy.

CD roll on ammy is too gear to let go off and you will be a bit CC shy with an IAS/CD one.
Reply Quote
Great vids!

I leveled up a wizard and followed your 1M budget vid to buy myself cheap gear because I am really curious about wizards.

I have a question though: What farming route should I follow with this setup?
Also, how should I deal with ranged elites like succubus or blood clan occultists, especially when they are NOT "supported" by hordes of white mobs to reset my cooldowns?
Reply Quote
Great vids!

I leveled up a wizard and followed your 1M budget vid to buy myself cheap gear because I am really curious about wizards.

I have a question though: What farming route should I follow with this setup?
Also, how should I deal with ranged elites like succubus or blood clan occultists, especially when they are NOT "supported" by hordes of white mobs to reset my cooldowns?

Ideally you only want to play the super dense areas.

Generally act 3 has the most dense levels. Act 2 vault of assassins however has arguabely the most dense amount of elite packs in one room.

I still farm Act 3 regularly. Areas to include in your run would be Keep2/ slaughter fields/ rakkis crossing.

Throw the other ones in to taste, but these are high dense, high drop areas. Usually start off with a shorter map and build up stacks, then attack the dense areas for max XP and loot chance.

Ranged elites, you really need a good lock, or kite them into other packs of monsters. It will take some micro management to handle them well, or just out gear the content or you can avoid them all together. No other ways.

GL and thanks for watching.
Reply Quote
Love this guide and this thing deserves to be stickied! I've just come back and started to buy gears for my wizard again. I can't wait to finalize everything and see how she handles. I'm starting to love my wizard again thanks to this guide. Sticky this puh-lease so that more people will have access to this information!
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196602675?page=1#2

Love the feedback, thanks all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]