Diablo® III

Avenging the deaths of my previous wizards

One of my goals with my current hardcore wizard was not to just get to level 60, but to also clear Inferno while avenging the deaths of my previous two wizards.

My first hardcore wizard (WhizzyHC) was just a lowly level 35 when I lost her to Nekarat the Keywarden. During that encounter, the video on my client froze; so I fought blindly during the time the video remained frozen. Once the video resumed, I saw that I had managed to teleport but had lost character control already since I tried hitting my health potion to no avail.

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/2397/screenshot841p.jpg

I quickly re-rolled with a same named wizard and was rolling along in Act II Normal when again, I encountered a video freeze. Those snakes in the Alcarnus command post made mince meat out of me quickly though.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9441/screenshot842.jpg

I re-rolled again but named this new one after my SC wiz. During this journey which played out from December 16th, I took each difficulty and each act at a leisurely pace. While I played normal-nightmare mostly on monster power 10, I learned my lesson and toned down the setting during some quests and boss encounters. Once I hit hell difficulty, I played at mp5 until I hit level 60 just prior to the Lord of Lies quest. After changing into Inferno level gear, I turned it back up to mp10 the rest of the way.

I did encounter some rubber banding and occasional stutter along the way. The scariest moment was this past Friday when I had some major stuttering at the start of my Arreat Crater 2 run right as I encountered an elite soul lasher pack. I was able to get back to the waypoint at which point, my video completely froze. I really thought I was dead but when the video resumed around 10 long seconds later, I was back at the keeps; I had managed to blindly click the right waypoint. Unstable Anomaly had proc'd and I kind of just stared at the screen and thought that I should stop playing for awhile. But I had one heck of an adrenalin rush from this near death experience so I decided that if I was going to die, that day would be it.

I proceeded to clear out the remainder of Act III and decided to step foot into Act IV on Saturday. One thing I wasn't going to do was avoid Nekarat. I had managed to avoid him with this wizard on normal through hell but this time, I was going to take him on. My play through of Inferno was doing full clears and Act IV would be no exception. I wanted to see how ready not only my wizard was, but also myself.

The monster AI for Act IV sort of read my mind. One of the first elite packs it threw at me when I reached the Spire level 1 were some teleporting mallet lords. I threw up my Diamond Skin and those things came teleporting right at me. It turned out to be a fun fight as I managed to continually proc CM which allowed me to keep DS up almost continually while teleporting away when they were about to slam me.

As for Nekarat, I didn't have to search for him. The only remaining open route to get to the Great Span was where he was waiting. I had no intentions of underestimating him, plus this was also pay back time for my first HC wizard. I basically used my hydra to deal out damage while I kept my distance and had him chase me through the areas I had previously cleared. When he did catch up and jail me, I Diamond Skinned and spammed Living Lightning and orbs before teleporting and laying down my hydra. My hydra burned him down rather quickly and I was able to finish him off standing right in front of him.

The Spire level 2 wasn't much of a problem and I got to the Pinnacle of Heaven waypoint fairly quickly. I logged off for the evening. The last task was the goal I originally set out to accomplish with this wizard, and that was to clear Inferno Diablo (which I did this morning). I wanted to do this (get the Inferno HC achievement for Diablo) on a wizard because I've died all too often from stupid mistakes playing my softcore one even on lower mp settings. Out of all of my hours of play on both softcore and hardcore, this particular fight turned out to the most fun I've had in this game. It made me glad that I decided to give HC a try back in July since I could never get this kind of rush playing solely on SC.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8533/screenshot914.jpg
Reply Quote
Hail to you, champion!
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 01:47 PMPosted by WhiteZombie
Hail to you, champion!

Ahhh, good times.

Congrats to OP. :)

I totally agree with you about the difference in enjoyment between HC and SC. Now that I've been playing HC, SC seems so...lame.
Edited by Tommerbob#1808 on 2/4/2013 1:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Good for you.

Sounds like you need a new vid card or better connection tho.
Reply Quote
Awesomesauce. I'm currently playing a Wizard for the first time. Nearing Belial. I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing and so I'm pretty sure she's not going to make it all the way through Inferno. When she does die, I may ask you to avenge her death for me, because I sure as hell may not make it to this point again.

Congrats on making it all the way through Inferno with a Wizard. From what I've seen so far, it's no small task.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 2/4/2013 2:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Congrats and great going!!
Reply Quote
Most impressive and congratulations.

I can relate...I've lost 3 good wizards in the desert to stupid, stupid mistakes on my part. I'm determined that my current wiz will avenge them!

Note to self: don't linger in the desert -- take your chances in Act 3.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 01:53 PMPosted by DonDraper

The issue is specifically with the Mac client with regards to the occasional video freezes. I do quite a bit of graphics intensive video work and would know when my video card was giving up the ghost. Net connection is also fine which is one thing I'm glad about else is would make playing HC even more challenging.

Pre-1.0.4, none of these issues existed (including the initial texture load lag). When they attempted to address that issue though (since it was affecting other players), whatever changes they made to that part of the code, caused these problems to crop up on other hardware which were working perfectly from launch to 1.0.3. It's gotten better on the 1.0.7 PTR client though.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Tommerbob
I totally agree with you about the difference in enjoyment between HC and SC. Now that I've been playing HC, SC seems so...lame.

The main thing for me is that the journey is part of the reward (since the game in general tends to not feel very rewarding when playing SC). We've all fought through the same content and occasionally messed up while playing our SC characters. Thus everytime I log off and my character is still alive, adds to the satisfaction. It's why I decided to do Diablo on at least MP1. It's still not comparable to when some did it pre-1.0.4 w/o using any creative use of game mechanics but I still remember how hard a time I had taking him out on softcore with my wizard during patch 1.0.3.

02/04/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Makina
Congrats and great going!!

Thanks Makina!

02/04/2013 01:47 PMPosted by WhiteZombie
Hail to you, champion!

xD

Awesomesauce. I'm currently playing a Wizard for the first time. Nearing Belial. I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing and so I'm pretty sure she's not going to make it all the way through Inferno. When she does die, I may ask you to avenge her death for me, because I sure as hell may not make it to this point again.

Congrats on making it all the way through Inferno with a Wizard. From what I've seen so far, it's no small task.

Thanks! Looks like you got past Belial. I'll be honest, out of all the boss fights, that one was the most overall intimidating due to the potential for making a mistake or two. Act III just requires care with the trash mobs and clearing out those areas in an organized fashion so that you have routes to escape to. Phasebeasts were the most annoying just because of how hard they hit.

I can relate...I've lost 3 good wizards in the desert to stupid, stupid mistakes on my part. I'm determined that my current wiz will avenge them!

Note to self: don't linger in the desert -- take your chances in Act 3.

I still remember patch 1.0.2 when I stepped into Act 2 on softcore. My wizard kept taking a pummeling. That was one of the most frustrating experiences but also a great learning experience because I played a life regen kiting build to clear the act. A lot of that helped with playing through Inferno on HC and knowing what the limits of my character were.

I initially hesitated on stepping into Act IV (maybe farm a bit in III to hopefully find something and/or make some additional gold). But since I wasn't killed by that elite phasebeast pack and I managed to take the regular phasebeasts hits without much issues, I decided to just continue progressing since I felt my character was more than ready. So yeah, if you feel your character isn't struggling, it might be better to forge on ahead. Good luck in getting back up to 60 again!
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 09:30 AMPosted by Murasama

The issue is specifically with the Mac client with regards to the occasional video freezes. I do quite a bit of graphics intensive video work and would know when my video card was giving up the ghost. Net connection is also fine which is one thing I'm glad about else is would make playing HC even more challenging.

Pre-1.0.4, none of these issues existed (including the initial texture load lag). When they attempted to address that issue though (since it was affecting other players), whatever changes they made to that part of the code, caused these problems to crop up on other hardware which were working perfectly from launch to 1.0.3. It's gotten better on the 1.0.7 PTR client though.

I just picked up a new 27" iMac -- all I can say is, WOW, what a difference from my old iMac in terms of game performance. The video is exceedingly smooth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]