Diablo® III

Hey Grim: Easy Socket Solution

I saw a socket thread that got locked because of endless, non-constructive vitriol. Grim mentioned that socketing is still being considered. The solution seems pretty obvious to me.

What do you guys think of the following:

Make sockets work similarly to Marquise gems. If you add a socket, the item becomes account bound. Want to sell it? Remove the socket you added. This way all the items on the AH retain their value, but we also get to add sockets.

I'm not seeing any downside to this idea, but I came up with it, so I'm pretty biased.

Give it a thumbs up if you like. If not, can you post an augment/improvement to the idea?
Reply Quote
Its fine with me... as long as I can put a socket or 2 into my pants I'm wearing. I could care less if I make a cent from this game.
Reply Quote
I think it should be taken a step further by making it expensive to unsocket an item (several million). This way, only more poorly rolled items are effectively sunk out of the economy, while well rolled items without sockets can still retain some kind of resellability.
Reply Quote
The best way to implement socketing is with some sort of quest. In D2 LOD you can have a five socketed item. These are the best items for ruin word gear. This would really add some depth to D3. IMO.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 12:27 PMPosted by ChemistCarl
I think it should be taken a step further by making it expensive to unsocket an item (several million). This way, only more poorly rolled items are effectively sunk out of the economy, while well rolled items without sockets can still retain some kind of resellability.

Hmmmmmm....I don't know that it should be several million ( I always see several as 5 or more), but around a mill to add and 2 to remove. Agreed on the rest for an item sink...I think that would happen by default (well rolled items should always retain re-saleability) with this suggestion.
Reply Quote
I think the point is items with sockets at the moment would go through the floor in value since you buy one without and socket it. I guess you can counteract that by making it expensive to socket, but again that caters to rich people (just like crafting does).
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 12:31 PMPosted by BadtotheBone
The best way to implement socketing is with some sort of quest. In D2 LOD you can have a five socketed item. These are the best items for ruin word gear. This would really add some depth to D3. IMO.

Quest sounds fine as the conceit that opens up socketing, but not sure what good the ability to have 5 sockets would be with D3's current lack of viable socketing options (qua emerald or nothing in weapons)...but that's a whole other discussion.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 12:36 PMPosted by donk
I think the point is items with sockets at the moment would go through the floor in value since you buy one without and socket it. I guess you can counteract that by making it expensive to socket, but again that caters to rich people (just like crafting does).

Good point; I should have clarified. Socketing = sockets naturally rolled + 1. A naturally rolled 2 socket manticore will always be better because you could end with 3. A manticore that naturally rolled no sockets would end with one.

So yes, this proposal would entail the ability to have max socket +1 for any item that can roll sockets.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Taganov

Good point; I should have clarified. Socketing = sockets naturally rolled + 1. A naturally rolled 2 socket manticore will always be better because you could end with 3. A manticore that naturally rolled no sockets would end with one.

So yes, this proposal would entail the ability to have max socket +1 for any item that can roll sockets.

But then.. what's the point? So everyone can have an extra crit gem in their weapon? Wouldn't it be easier to just add 10% to everyone's dps?
Reply Quote
bring back rune words and charms! that would be AWESOME! add it to the expansion or whatever, but that would rock.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 12:36 PMPosted by donk
I think the point is items with sockets at the moment would go through the floor in value since you buy one without and socket it.

Yep. Check out http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811542642#8 for another approach.
Reply Quote
Adding lifesteal to an item would be just as effective as adding a socket, or any other single mod like crit chance/damage or attack speed or 200 of a stat. How about just have items stop dropping with mods and stats that are useless. If 99% of the rare and higher items would stop being junk we wouldn't need to throw sockets and rainbows on all of our gear.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 01:13 PMPosted by XrossEyed
I think the point is items with sockets at the moment would go through the floor in value since you buy one without and socket it.

Yep. Check out http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811542642#8 for another approach.

Except no, because all items get the same static boost of +1 sockets. Items that naturally roll more sockets are still more valuable.

If that's not clear, perhaps this helps. Socket as I propose is always only +1 socket. Therefore:

Naturally rolled 2 sockets = max of 3
Naturally rolled 1 socket = max of 2
Naturally rolled 0 sockets = max of 1

If you're reselling, you lose the extra socket. Sale and resale value are not affected for the same reason 2 sockets are worth so much more now.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 01:19 PMPosted by Surly
Adding lifesteal to an item would be just as effective as adding a socket, or any other single mod like crit chance/damage or attack speed or 200 of a stat. How about just have items stop dropping with mods and stats that are useless. If 99% of the rare and higher items would stop being junk we wouldn't need to throw sockets and rainbows on all of our gear.

Unfortunately, your suggestion requires an overhaul of the entire itemization system. Sockets work within the system. If the end results are about equal, as you posit, then I think we can both agree the more plausible change would be to add socketing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]