Diablo® III

Soulstone questions..

Im sure these have been answered somewhere else, but I am not about to spend a while looking. So I'll just ask..

Diablo 1 ends with the champion removeing the SS from diabloes corpse's head, and jams it into his own with the assumption that he can withstand Diablos grasp within him. Diablo 2's story/cinematics really touch on the other soulstones as well. Marius follows Diablo around as he looks for his brothers. He first comes runs into Tal Rasha chained up with Baals stone in his chest. One question after thinking about it is why is he unable to move, when it is apparent Tal Rasha seems to have lost control of the body like the champion and Diablo does later? And how does marius removeing the stone "set him free" exactly when towards the end of the story Baal wants the soulstone back in his posession when he already had it in his god damn chest? Also Mephisto already had his stone as well, and it didn't look like his body was a "vessel" in which he took over a body like his brothers?

Maybe my questions stem from a slight misunderstanding of the whole soul stone system. From what I understand, the worldstone prevents demons/angels from being in sanctuary. If thats true IDK how tyreal is there unless he has a soul stone? And I say soul stone because thats where Baal, Meph, and Diablos "essence" is stored and is able to exist on sanctuarys plain. I know they were exiled from hell, another side question I ask if how the hell were they exiled to a place they can't go? Someone had to of made the stones to banish them into, and just tossed them into sanctuary?

I'd love some simple, to the point answers if possible! You can even tell the lore because I do much enjoy the Diablo Lore. Thanks!
Reply Quote
You are mixing the things up.
The dark exile (exile of the prime evils) ends with them captive by the soulstone. baal's SS is wielded by the Archmage Tal Rashaa and he is willigngly trapped inside the tomb, preventign baal to escape. Diablo SS is hidden in the Labirinth of the cathedral of Tristram... thats why Archbishop Lazarus found it. Finally Mephisto SS is int he temple city of Travincal but its powerful and corrupt all the priest of zakarum except Khalim (remember the dismemebered man you have collect his peices?)
hope this will aid you to udenrstand the SS locations in the firs place
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:20 AMPosted by HaXiR
One question after thinking about it is why is he unable to move, when it is apparent Tal Rasha seems to have lost control of the body like the champion and Diablo does later?

I'm having a hard time understanding the question... but! Here goes.

Tal Rasha was fighting Baal.(Like Aidan was fighting Diablo).
As Thanatos said, Tal Rasha was a willing participant. He was willingly chained to the stone to fight Baal for eternity.

And how does marius removeing the stone "set him free" exactly when towards the end of the story Baal wants the soulstone back in his posession when he already had it in his god damn chest?

Ok so, the thing that is special about Baal's soulstone is that it was actually damaged while the Horadrim was trying to capture Baal. This is where Zulton Kulle comes into play, he was in charge of the handling of the stones, which he tampered with, to make it "break". The reason why, unlike Diablo and Mephisto's soulstone, had to be injected in Tal Rasha's heart to "control" the soulstone. Diablo and Mephisto's soulstones were not damaged, hence why it didnt need a "host" to control it.

Also Mephisto already had his stone as well, and it didn't look like his body was a "vessel" in which he took over a body like his brothers?

He did have a vessel, though i am assuming since he was the first one to break free, he had the most time to corrupt his vessel.

Maybe my questions stem from a slight misunderstanding of the whole soul stone system. From what I understand, the worldstone prevents demons/angels from being in sanctuary. If thats true IDK how tyreal is there unless he has a soul stone? And I say soul stone because thats where Baal, Meph, and Diablos "essence" is stored and is able to exist on sanctuarys plain. I know they were exiled from hell, another side question I ask if how the hell were they exiled to a place they can't go? Someone had to of made the stones to banish them into, and just tossed them into sanctuary?

Thats mostly it, the slight misunderstanding of how the Soulstones work.
Diablo, Mephisto and Baal were exiled from the Burning Hells. They were banished into something similar to a void.
They cant get out of it.
The only way for them to travel is via a soulstone since they are trapped in the void.
The only way for them to manifest a body in Sanctuary is if the soulstone is injected in a vessel.

the problem is, you cant "kill" them since its only a shard of their essence. Its not "them" we are killing, its just the soulstone. Hence why we kill Diablo in Diablo 1, 2 and 3.
Its actually part of Diablo's plan to get slain... (Lore is intense haha!) .. so he can come back at a later time, by another means, without the Angiris Council knowing.

Someone had to of made the stones to banish them into, and just tossed them into sanctuary?

Tyreal made the 3 Soulstones from the Worldstone.
Zoltun Kulle made the Black Soulstone. (It was faulty. Hence why Leah had to control it in Diablo 3)

I hope this answers your questions... and i if i am wrong, by all means correct me.
I'm a big fan of the Lore, and i tried to answer with all my knowledge and understanding!
Reply Quote
thank you very much, ill stew on the answers and see if any more questions arise
Reply Quote
now that I think about it, why exactly did Baal want his soulstone from marius? Just so it wouldn't be destroyed? But in the cinematic in D2, when he gets it, it seems to empower him. But if the stone needs to be in a vessel for anyone of the prime evils to exist in a physical form, how was baal able to posess Tal rasha when his soulstone wasnt even in the body itself?

Another thing, probably a simple answer, but why did people like Tal Rasha, the champion of D1 etc decide to jam the stones within them with an attempt to contain the evil as oppose to just sealing them away or something?

One last thing, upon the soulstones destruction like Mephistos and Diablos in the cinematic after act 4, that would imply those 2 were then banished back to their void? But if they were banished to that void, why did tyreal even make the stones to begin with if all we had to do was destroy them to prevent them to exist on sanctuarys plain? In the end it didnt matter when the world stone was destroyed, in which case, I guess that's how in D3 diablo was able to get to sanctuary easier, but if thats the case, I dont see why meph and baal couldn't just as easily make a come back? Can these prime evils just ever die for good and not exist on any plain? Like Diablo, couldn't he or "she" still make a comeback?
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 02:29 PMPosted by HaXiR
how was baal able to posess Tal rasha when his soulstone wasnt even in the body itself?

I beleive it was the years and years of straight up corruption of the actual stone in the heart.

but why did people like Tal Rasha, the champion of D1 etc decide to jam the stones within them with an attempt to contain the evil as oppose to just sealing them away or something?

Well, take Mephisto's and Diablo's Soulstone, they were both sealed away in their respective places.
They ended up corrupting the whole human populace that was hidding them.
They thought, perhaps they could contain the evils inside them, not corrupt the world around.

One last thing, upon the soulstones destruction like Mephistos and Diablos in the cinematic after act 4, that would imply those 2 were then banished back to their void? But if they were banished to that void, why did tyreal even make the stones to begin with if all we had to do was destroy them to prevent them to exist on sanctuarys plain? In the end it didnt matter when the world stone was destroyed, in which case, I guess that's how in D3 diablo was able to get to sanctuary easier, but if thats the case, I dont see why meph and baal couldn't just as easily make a come back? Can these prime evils just ever die for good and not exist on any plain? Like Diablo, couldn't he or "she" still make a comeback?

Alright this one is a little more complicated. Yes, they are just pushed back in the Void when their stones are destroyed..
The problem with the stones is that If they would have been "perfect", they could have sealed the Prime Evils forever in the soulstones, preventing them from wreaking havoc on Sanctuary.... but the Prime Evils were too powerful for the soulstones.
What the Worldstones destruction brought was the Burning Hells and High Heavens being able to "locate" the world, hence why Azmodan and Belial were able to come in our realm from the Burning Hells.
Meph and Baal "did" make a comeback. The Black Soulstone had Diablo, Meph, Baal, Belial and Azmodan in it. (That we know of. I'm "assuming" for the Lore that Andariel and Duriel were also in there... somehow.)
Since Diablo is the most powerful of the Prime Evils, and the Lesser Evils, Diablo was able to be the "frontrunner" of the Possession of Leah, hence why we are fighting Diablo. Though we are fighting more than solely Diablo, from what i understood it.

Edit ---> Again, I can be wrong but its what i understood from it... and i'm a huge Lore addict :p
Edited by Rain#1861 on 2/1/2013 2:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
That makes some sense. But I still am unclear. So if the hells banish the 3 prime evils, and sanctuary is "un-locateable" due to the worldstone, how did they find it? And if they were banished to a void, I am still unclear as to why tyreal made the stones to contain them unless they somehow managed to find sanctuary by sheer accident?

And yes, from what I gathered from D3 story, all 7 are contained within the black soulstone. But with diablos destruction, he along with the other 6 are again just banished back to said void, but with no worldstone they can just come right back?
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:10 AMPosted by HaXiR
So if the hells banish the 3 prime evils, and sanctuary is "un-locateable" due to the worldstone, how did they find it?

Stupid humans have been using Magic to summon Demons to Sanctuary, creating portals and whatnots. Its our fault. The Evils were able to locate it that way.

And if they were banished to a void, I am still unclear as to why tyreal made the stones to contain them unless they somehow managed to find sanctuary by sheer accident?

If they are contained in a soulstone, they cant "come back", since they are stuck in the soulstone.
They cant hurt anyone if they are stuck in there, but that was a flaw... since they could in the end.
Reply Quote
View profile
So if the hells banish the 3 prime evils, and sanctuary is "un-locateable" due to the worldstone, how did they find it?

They already knew where sanctuary is due to the various portals and summoning magics, and the soulstone was a focus of power, container of nephalem power, and the creater of the world. it did not, however, conceal it.

And if they were banished to a void, I am still unclear as to why tyreal made the stones to contain them unless they somehow managed to find sanctuary by sheer accident?

1.They could not be banished, so the soulstones contained them.
2.above answer.

And yes, from what I gathered from D3 story, all 7 are contained within the black soulstone

correct.

. But with diablos destruction, he along with the other 6 are again just banished back to said void,

No, i believe they are still in said soulstone. who knows what will happen next...
Reply Quote
Im sure these have been answered somewhere else, but I am not about to spend a while looking. So I'll just ask..

Diablo 1 ends with the champion removeing the SS from diabloes corpse's head, and jams it into his own with the assumption that he can withstand Diablos grasp within him. Diablo 2's story/cinematics really touch on the other soulstones as well. Marius follows Diablo around as he looks for his brothers. He first comes runs into Tal Rasha chained up with Baals stone in his chest. One question after thinking about it is why is he unable to move, when it is apparent Tal Rasha seems to have lost control of the body like the champion and Diablo does later?

That's the result of centuries of Tal Rasha fighting against Baal. He's become old and decrepit buit his soul was still fighting.

And how does marius removeing the stone "set him free"

The soulstone had shattered (how it was shattered is debated in the lore) and the only way to keep Baal contained, according to Zoltan Kulle, was by putting the largest fragment of the stone into a human, acting as a conduit. Tal Rasha obviously stepped in to be said conduit. So when Marius removed it, Baal was set free since the stone itself wasn't enough to contain him.

exactly when towards the end of the story Baal wants the soulstone back in his posession when he already had it in his god damn chest?

Marius took it and Tyrael started to fight Baal while Marius fled.

Also Mephisto already had his stone as well, and it didn't look like his body was a "vessel" in which he took over a body like his brothers?

Not much is said lore-wise about the vessel that Mephisto used. I'm not sure if a name was given but it was the Que-Hagan of the Zakarum priests and paladins in Travincal.

The worldstone didn't keep angels and demons out of sanctuary. Not sure where you got that from. It had other purposes but was hidden by Lilith and Inarius when they came together to make Sanctuary.
Edited by Deak2112#1705 on 2/3/2013 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
now that I think about it, why exactly did Baal want his soulstone from marius? Just so it wouldn't be destroyed? But in the cinematic in D2, when he gets it, it seems to empower him. But if the stone needs to be in a vessel for anyone of the prime evils to exist in a physical form, how was baal able to posess Tal rasha when his soulstone wasnt even in the body itself?

Baal wanted the soulstone because he was going to, and did, use it to corrupt the worldstone. Also, Baal's soulstone is different than the others' because his was shattered. Part of Baal's essence was conatined in the fragment of the soulstone but the rest of him was already in Tal Rasha. I believe when the soulstone was removed, it allowed Baal to fully corrupt Tal Rasha since the soulstone wasn't holding him back any more.

Another thing, probably a simple answer, but why did people like Tal Rasha, the champion of D1 etc decide to jam the stones within them with an attempt to contain the evil as oppose to just sealing them away or something?

In Diablo's case, it was Diablo's plan all along to possess someone weak, like Albrecht, since he wasn't strong enough to possess someone stronger, like he attempted with Leoric. When Aidan beat him, he deceived him into thinking the only way to contain him was to physically put the soulstone inside him.

As I said in my previous post, Tal Rasha was acting as a conduit to contain Baal in the shattered soulstone.

One last thing, upon the soulstones destruction like Mephistos and Diablos in the cinematic after act 4, that would imply those 2 were then banished back to their void? But if they were banished to that void, why did tyreal even make the stones with if all we had to do was destroy them to prevent them to exist on sanctuarys plain?

They were banished to the Abyss if the soulstones were shattered on the hellforge, as is done in D2 with Mephisto's. I would guess they didn't attempt that because:

1) That would require the Horadrim to venture to the Burning Hells in order to reach the Hellforge.
2) There were still 4 prime evils in hell plus the demonic legions. It woulda been suicide to attempt to venture to the Hellforge.

In the end it didnt matter when the world stone was destroyed, in which case, I guess that's how in D3 diablo was able to get to sanctuary easier, but if thats the case, I dont see why meph and baal couldn't just as easily make a come back?

Diablo didn't come back to sanctuary, his essence was within Leah. Adria became pregnant with Leah by Aidan who was Diablo's vessel at the time, so Leah carried Diablo's essence with her. She acted as a vessel for Diablo as The Prime. Mephisto and Baal were stuck in the black soulstone.

Can these prime evils just ever die for good and not exist on any plain? Like Diablo, couldn't he or "she" still make a comeback?

Apparently, you can by casting them into the Abyss, but Lilith did escape from there once so it's not necessarily permanent. In the lore, before sanctuary, when a prime evil was killed, he would eventually be reincarnated in the hells and same with angels through the crystal arch.
Edited by Deak2112#1705 on 2/3/2013 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote

Apparently, you can by casting them into the Abyss, but Lilith did escape from there once so it's not necessarily permanent. In the lore, before sanctuary, when a prime evil was killed, he would eventually be reincarnated in the hells and same with angels through the crystal arch.

Small correction, lilith was imprisoned in the Void, and she escaped once but I dont recall how, in the sin war trilogy it apprently took years, possibly thousands before she could though. The Abyss is where demons are spawned. I dont think theres any way for prime evils at least to be dealt with forevor or killed for good because they are fundamental to creation and so far, have only been imprisoned at best and their physical forms destroyed.

The other questions Haxir had seems to have been answered though.
Edited by PrimeEvil#2347 on 2/5/2013 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
What was the purpose of black soulstone anyway?

I thought it was clear by that time that the only use of soulstones was to contain prime evils. Once the stone is shattered, prime evil is banished to the Black Abyss, which is as good as killing him without any soulstone shenanigans?

Keeping all of the prime evils in the black soulstone for eternity was a good idea, until it became obvious that the stone is unstable, so it cannot contain souls for a long time.

So Adria had to make a new excuse for putting all evils into one stone - she said that it will help to destroy the evils forever (presumably by throwing them into the Void).
And everyone just believed that? Even Tyrael, who was already fooled once about the purpose of the original soulstones?
Edited by magaiti#2689 on 2/10/2013 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
What was the purpose of black soulstone anyway?

I thought it was clear by that time that the only use of soulstones was to contain prime evils. Once the stone is shattered, prime evil is banished to the Black Abyss, which is as good as killing him without any soulstone shenanigans?

Keeping all of the prime evils in the black soulstone for eternity was a good idea, until it became obvious that the stone is unstable, so it cannot contain souls for a long time.

So Adria had to make a new excuse for putting all evils into one stone - she said that it will help to destroy the evils forever (presumably by throwing them into the Void).
And everyone just believed that? Even Tyrael, who was already fooled once about the purpose of the original soulstones?

Zulton Kulle is resonsible for that little gem, hehe.

He was stopped for this blashemous thing and was beheaded and was carefully disposed of...
As well as you can dispose of an immortal that is.

You couldnt get all the prime evils in there for ever, nor does banishing them to the void "kill" them.
But you also cannot let the soul of the prime evil just wander on sanctuary, you have to send it back to the abyss.

And Tyreal wasnt fooled about the purpose of the originals... he was the one who created them.
Reply Quote
[quote]
And Tyreal wasnt fooled about the purpose of the originals... he was the one who created them.

I would beg to differ on this one. It has been a long time since I played the game and read the story so my details might be off by a bit, but IIRC - Tyrael was fooled about the SS idea by that lieutenant of his.

The prime evils planned being exiled and be trapped in the SS which they know are corruptible.

Tyrael did a lot of not-so-smart things in the whole lore that i am surprised the angels were not portrayed as doing facepalm when he declared himself the archangel of wisdom in the cinematic.
Edited by Igme#1669 on 2/22/2013 3:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
[quote]

I would beg to differ on this one. It has been a long time since I played the game and read the story so my details might be off by a bit, but IIRC - Tyrael was fooled about the SS idea by that lieutenant of his.

The prime evils planned being exiled and be trapped in the SS which they know are corruptible.

Tyrael did a lot of not-so-smart things in the whole lore that i am surprised the angels were not portrayed as doing facepalm when he declared himself the archangel of wisdom in the cinematic.

I actually just watched the end cinematic again the other day, and I actually thought to myself. A, how can he be the angel of wisdom, if he's mortal/no wings? Don't you kidan need wings to be called an "angel".... And B, if he's the "angel of wisdom", then who's gonna be justice in his place? He obv is the only one to care about the nephlem, so if he's not "justice" anymore, a new "justice" could come along and be like "nah, as avatar of justice, i find it fair to just kill the nephlem" or something along those lines....
Reply Quote
[/quote]And how does marius removeing the stone "set him free" exactly when towards the end of the story Baal wants the soulstone back in his posession when he already had it in his god damn chest?[/quote]

Maybe the SS (with Tal Rasha inside) connect to the actual magic prison - the pillar that "Baal's" body is bound to, like a lock. And even though Tal Rasha is all but overcome by now from wrestling Baal, the connection still enables him to chain the demon.
When Marius removes the SS, the connection is lost, Baal gets loose and Tal Rasha´s spirit finally succumbs to Baal´s spirit, in the SS.

Didn´t Metzen tell you that? ;) (only joking)
Edited by Solidpontus#2324 on 2/24/2013 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]