Diablo® III

Is SOJ worth using

I have this SOJ, is it worth using general farming, or just for elites/Uber, or not at all.

I am totally unsure of how to progress from where I am. I also have an Andarials that adds DPS but looses on life and AR.

Any suggestions very welcome.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/NevC174/SOJ_zpsc4ea4031.jpg
Edited by Eribuss#6380 on 2/3/2013 7:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
you can plug both items into d3 rawr on the detailed dps and ehp page. then there is an option to view tdps or tdps vs elites. a cold one would be ideal for WW but most SoJ will probably be a step up in damage against elites and bosses. just keep in mind that to make the most of SoJ your weapon needs non elemental damage since the adds %dmg won't help the elemental dmg of any weapons.
Reply Quote
The dmg increase on elites is VERY noticable. If you can clear trash mobs quickly at ur preferred mp with soj, use it. I personally use hota build and I can clear packs in a few seconds on mp5, something I could not do with a ring with 20ave dmg, 4.5cc, 41cd and some str.

also, it will be better to use a soj with 29/30% bonus and 6% elemental dmg.
Reply Quote
View profile
My buffed tdps vs all is 1.45m or so. Vs elites it is 1.95m. If i subbed in another ring like my unity with cc/cd, my tdps would probably go about midway, ~1.7mil. I'd rather take the 250k tdps vs elites than the 250k tdps vs white mobs.
Reply Quote
I bought a 6% cold/29 % bonus v elites for 8 mil and I've been really happy with it. I couldn't afford a barb SoJ, but one day...

Even for just MP 1 it speeds things up as the elites die so quickly. That and the cold forcing monsters to sit happily and die in your tornadoes will increase your actual DPS.

02/03/2013 09:23 PMPosted by PartyCat
If you can clear trash mobs quickly at ur preferred mp with soj, use it.

pretty much this. And the one you have will be good for ubers.
Reply Quote
Cold Soj is great for barbs, whatever dps u loose vs elites u make up with the slow effect from freeze...which lets ur nados hit the mobs for longer since they just stay in one place i think.
Reply Quote
A 27% SoJ will boost your DPS vs. almost any rare ring, particularly with HotA because of the huge damage scaling. For you, this comes down to whether or not you can afford to lose the attack speed. You don't have overly much IAS now, and losing 9% might mean no perma-WotB. If that happens, the SoJ is not practical for you. So... try and see. You can swap rings at any point during an uber/elite battle and experiment.
Reply Quote
Thanks for feedback, it is making sense now.
I need to boost IAS to use SoJ. I normally farm keys at MP6, had to drop to MP5. can not really maintain fury/life with SoJ and current gear.

I just gave away a very good Cold SoJ with Wiz stats for the one I showed. I also have this other one if that any of you can have if its of use. I looked at AH for a good SoJ, what a drag with all classes chucked in together, and how cheap some are, but of course, not one that suits.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/NevC174/SOJ2_zps9fad3f90.png
Reply Quote
I cant see any value in SOJ. Tried it multiple times. Maybe a situational piece on ubers at best. Not for farming.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Riddick
I cant see any value in SOJ. Tried it multiple times. Maybe a situational piece on ubers at best. Not for farming.

I have the exact same experience with two cold 30% SOJ. But maybe I have done it wrong way.
Reply Quote

30% more damage! 30% more damage. 30% more damage.... Oh yea, 30% MORE....DAMAGE! Unless you are fighting only white mobs and running from elites, this ring is pretty much the best thing ever.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Doomherald

30% more damage! 30% more damage. 30% more damage.... Oh yea, 30% MORE....DAMAGE! Unless you are fighting only white mobs and running from elites, this ring is pretty much the best thing ever.
Spoken like someone whos trying to sell one or cant afford a good quadfecta ring
Reply Quote
Neither of those two things actually, I just understand that a straight 30% damage boost is more than any ring could possibly do. I put your character on d3rawr, and it showed TDPS vs elites at 1098953. I switched your quadfecta ring that you say is better for 30% elite damage 6% cold damage and that number went up to 1125311.
Reply Quote
View profile

Spoken like someone whos trying to sell one or cant afford a good quadfecta ring

If you understood how an SOJ affects in game dps more than paper dps, you might see why it's so useful.
Edited by PhatPhoEater#1370 on 2/4/2013 9:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I went Soj, I'm not going back to a normal ring, i got a avg dmg, trifecta ring sitting there which boost my paper dps by around 40k or so but the soj makes it a whole lot faster. !@# Vee said, if you lose the ias which in turns makes you lose perma wrath then no, however if you find a balance and CAN afford to lose it, you'll see quite a massive difference in dps, eg, MP 8 with 4 people, i solo those persky goblins in act 3 and with a normal ring i just cant.
Reply Quote

Those are fightin words round these parts boi!
Reply Quote
SoJ is not for those who can't stand without other benefits from the ring, such as atk speed, cc, cd, ar, etc. For me, ar and cc are important to my HoTA build running MP10. I can't go SoJ yet until I can get additional ar from gloves or pants. sosad
Reply Quote
Im just wondering if ppl do not realize the non paper tdps loss when using a ef on main hand and no cold soj to slow the mob,...having to chase that mob down all over the map cuz of that fear has got to be a pain on higher mps where packs take longer than 25 secs to kill
Reply Quote
Did you end up using that SoJ?

Did you use a 30% SoJ Barb or a non-barb yet cheaper SoJ 30%?
Reply Quote

If you understood how an SOJ affects in game dps more than paper dps, you might see why it's so useful.

Can you do a check of my Barb please and give some feedback. I need to change, but still have not got it in brain where to go.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]